Forum Settings
Forums

Sequel effect is real, but not in the way you are thinking.

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 13, 2021 4:14 AM

Nov 2017
Peeti said:
Vilkku92 said:

Berserk did get a better score for the second season, though.
that one is great but mine Favourito is berserk 2016 which is a sequel to 1997 one and movies.

Sequels to classics that come out decades after the original are one of the cases where sequel effect doesn't really hold up, and movies are a different enough media compared to TV-series that I don't think they really count either.
Feb 13, 2021 4:14 AM

Mar 2020
They are just Japanese Cartoons
I dont think I need to understand something so complex
Or maybe I am just dumb who doesn't understands anything
Feb 13, 2021 4:18 AM

Aug 2017
And then here I am, only rating first seasons as the whole show except drastic changes as for Terra Formars.
Feb 13, 2021 4:25 AM

Oct 2020
Playay said:
In MAL case, in my opinion,

In short, they only different because airing time
in my opinion
I agree with this..when a series is rated as a whole one always take into consideration all the ups and downs of a show and i think it just makes the score more precise. Ratings whould have been quite different if MAL rated a show collectively.
Feb 13, 2021 6:34 AM
Jan 2021
f you think of the sequel effect as the statement that those who do not like a series will not watch a sequel and define those who do not like a series as those who give a score <7, then the sequel effect is
probably real and certainly insignificant.

This however is not a very good way of looking at survivourship bias in the rating of anime sequels. A glance at the numbers suggests that even among those who score the series a 10 a significant number (>50% in some cases) do not score the sequel. However, if we assume that those who give score X to the sequel is a subset of those who give score X to the original series, then it is clear that those who give a lower score, are less likely to watch the sequel.

If we define the "sequel effect" to be an upward bias in mean score caused by a positive correlation between score given and both likeliness to watch the sequel and score given to the sequel, then our data is quite consistent with the existence and significance of such an effect.

The idea that there may be an expected change in scoring of the sequel (e.g. due to standard story construction). This would lead to a "sequel effect" unrelated to survivoirship bias. Plausible arguments have been made that this effect should be positive or negative. Note, that if one has access to the data it would be possible to estimate this effect, by looking at the average change in score from someone who rates both the anime and the sequel.
William Hughes

Complex systems exhibit unexpected behaviour
Feb 13, 2021 6:37 AM

Nov 2016
Peeti said:
FMmatron said:

keragamming the type of guy who would go through hell and back for AoT

My man made this whole thread (and another one) just to prove that it's score is legit and not just due to sequel effect
sequel effects don't make score go 100+ rankings in the top where fights usually happen. My favourite Sao season 2 didn't get that sequel effect. Neither did my lovely Tokyo ghoul: Re season 2 got it. Berserk failed as well, my another Favourito anime. Seven deadly sins is another one. Why do most of my favourite anime don't get sequel effects but others do, it's disheartening.

It's more of a rule of thumb than a law and lol, no comment regarding your examples.

If you would look at anime that had consistently about the same quality through the seasons then you would see the legitness

Golden Kamuy
Kuroko no Basket
Bakuman
Aria
GochiUsa

Just to name a few

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 13, 2021 6:42 AM

Sep 2019
FMmatron said:
Peeti said:
sequel effects don't make score go 100+ rankings in the top where fights usually happen. My favourite Sao season 2 didn't get that sequel effect. Neither did my lovely Tokyo ghoul: Re season 2 got it. Berserk failed as well, my another Favourito anime. Seven deadly sins is another one. Why do most of my favourite anime don't get sequel effects but others do, it's disheartening.

It's more of a rule of thumb than a law and lol, no comment regarding your examples.

If you would look at anime that had consistently about the same quality through the seasons then you would see the legitness

Golden Kamuy
Kuroko no Basket
Bakuman
Aria
GochiUsa

Just to name a few
maintaining the same quality is hard. Just like you make a new timetable. It's good and all but continuing it back to back daily is the hardest part. You will see happiness increased with your following of timetable. One day, one week is small but longer it goes the better it flows but in entertainment I am against this rule. Quality is my least concerned thing.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Feb 13, 2021 6:44 AM

Nov 2016
Peeti said:
FMmatron said:

Golden Kamuy
Kuroko no Basket
Bakuman
Aria
GochiUsa

Just to name a few
maintaining the same quality is hard. Just like you make a new timetable. It's good and all but continuing it back to back daily is the hardest part. You will see happiness increased with your following of timetable. One day, one week is small but longer it goes the better it flows but in entertainment I am against this rule. Quality is my least concerned thing.

What matters is that people perceive it as the same. Most won't bother thinking about it and simply give out the same score as before.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Things you are jealous of in anime ( 1 2 )

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

55 by maya2003s »»
15 seconds ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - Yesterday

41 by MeguSae38 »»
52 seconds ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 42 minutes ago

8 by Ratris_Decision »»
53 seconds ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

30 by redorzo »»
2 minutes ago

» I really wish that more animes had re-caps

Atmogenic - Yesterday

10 by MeguSae38 »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.