Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 24, 2020 12:08 PM

May 2020
I came across this manga while at a book store and said why not, it’s a seinen, I haven’t read a romance in a while and it has high rating.

I read the first 5 chapters of volume 1, and honestly, it wasn’t that good. With it being rated so highly, I expected it to grab my attention within the first chapter. But so far it’s just felt like Saiki K where each episode has little to no relation to the following one. Or like it has a very loose plot and each chapter is like a a short story.

Maybe I am judging it too harshly without completing the volume, but I was just wanting to know, does it ever develop a plot? Should I give this another shot?
Nov 24, 2020 12:21 PM

Sep 2020
It is mainly a romcom, so if you don't like this kind of stuff then you won't like it. However, it does have its serious moments later on which are fantastic, which comes around chapter 110.

Basically, yes, it will develop a plot, so in the meantime, you should enjoy the comedy to the fullest before that point.
Nov 24, 2020 12:23 PM

Feb 2013
Yes. It has an overarching plot that takes relevance from all those chapters leading up to later arcs. The very beginning that you're at is what's most like the episodic gag section of the series, but it develops into more. Just don't overthink it and if you enjoy it at all, just keep reading and you'll only grow to appreciate it more.
Nov 24, 2020 5:40 PM

Jun 2020
Yes, it does have a plot, the beginning might be a bit repetitive but it becomes a serious drama later on.
Nov 24, 2020 7:35 PM
Nov 2015
Kaguya-sama starts as a rom-com which main plot is the mental battles between two "perfect beings" and how imperfect they are at love. The first part of Kaguya is mainly the skimishes Shirogane and Kaguya have to make confess the other one with the participation of Chika, Ishigami and Miko in the skirmishes without realizing.
However, as the chapters advance and the relationships between all the main cast develop, the manga slowly changes to a more serious, character-driven and interesting plot, and as you already know these goofy characters and you're endeared with them, seeing them in these more serious situations and how they get out of them makes the manga so interesting, all of these without losing the comedy the series is known for.
Dec 1, 2020 2:32 PM

May 2014
Quite frankly, the content is becoming too standard. It has started resembling a standard romance story, both in comedy and drama, and the author has been dragging it on needlessly.

The comedy has been stale recently. It is far too similar to standard romcom content. It doesn't make me laugh or even chuckle anymore. People call it wholesome and cute, but that isn't enough to make it funny. You need clever punchlines, subversions, irony, bold and witty dialogue. They simply aren't there anymore. Most of what I initially liked about this series has been lost.

Having heavy drama is fine. I enjoy heavy drama. The problem is that the recent drama feels too standard for romance stories. I am not more specific here in case it is spoilers.

I may need a break from this series. Not really feeling it right now.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Chapter 271 Discussion

solace - Jul 26, 2022

29 by ABWN »»
May 1, 9:20 AM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Chapter 223 Discussion

NakolHira - Apr 5, 2021

47 by thicdicdaddy27 »»
Apr 19, 9:25 AM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Chapter 281 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Lezet - Oct 29, 2022

251 by SrRoses »»
Mar 4, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Chapter 1 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2015

11 by daywithoutgames »»
Mar 1, 11:23 PM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Chapter 251 Discussion

Depal2 - Jan 25, 2022

35 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Feb 20, 4:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.