Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 1, 2020 2:54 PM

Oct 2012
I understand most of the colloquial speech, but not much of the archaic/formal lines. I have to say that every season from the different websites that I streamed had terrible subtitles that seemed worse than a Google translate. Some of it is translated phonetically, where Nan xi (Southern Tin, literally, a city name) is translated as "Nancy", which makes no sense. There are numerous other parts that are just flat out wrong, like a character would say something along the lines of "thank you", and the subtitles would say "I pity you". Or whenever they referred to a male character in the script, the subtitles would say "her" and vice versa. The subtitles weren't just missing details, but flat out wrong throughout most of the show. If they weren't so purposeless, I would have thought they were troll subs, but now I just think they used a crap online translator.

Unfortunately, Tencent doesn't have an official translation, unlike Bilibili on YouTube.

Anyways, beware. If you don't understand Chinese and think the script is crap, it's because the subtitles are literally mistranslated. Half the lines have something wrong with them.

Maybe there are accurate translations out there, but the ones hosted on streaming sites like Gogoanime or izfanmade are wrong.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 18, 2021 6:52 PM
Jan 2016
katsucats said:
I understand most of the colloquial speech, but not much of the archaic/formal lines. I have to say that every season from the different websites that I streamed had terrible subtitles that seemed worse than a Google translate. Some of it is translated phonetically, where Nan xi (Southern Tin, literally, a city name) is translated as "Nancy", which makes no sense. There are numerous other parts that are just flat out wrong, like a character would say something along the lines of "thank you", and the subtitles would say "I pity you". Or whenever they referred to a male character in the script, the subtitles would say "her" and vice versa. The subtitles weren't just missing details, but flat out wrong throughout most of the show. If they weren't so purposeless, I would have thought they were troll subs, but now I just think they used a crap online translator.

Unfortunately, Tencent doesn't have an official translation, unlike Bilibili on YouTube.

Anyways, beware. If you don't understand Chinese and think the script is crap, it's because the subtitles are literally mistranslated. Half the lines have something wrong with them.

Maybe there are accurate translations out there, but the ones hosted on streaming sites like Gogoanime or izfanmade are wrong.

I wish that someone would take more time in translating these instead of spending 10minutes on a single video
why cant the studios give us proper subs
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Jan 18, 2021 7:19 PM

Oct 2012
Idiot-Chef said:
I wish that someone would take more time in translating these instead of spending 10minutes on a single video
Thankfully, the newer shows have much better official subs -- still not perfect, but maybe 90% of the way there.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 18, 2021 7:56 PM
Jan 2016
katsucats said:
Idiot-Chef said:
Thankfully, the newer shows have much better official subs -- still not perfect, but maybe 90% of the way there.

it is probably due to the fact Chinese animations are starting to get more popular and more funding
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Jul 6, 2021 1:19 AM
May 2009
Yeah the team that did this obviously aren't that great.
But it still gets the point across.
Better than no help at all on the dialogue.

More topics from this board

» What happens after?

Zaphyria - Jul 24, 2020

5 by Adampk »»
Jun 19, 2023 11:47 PM

» Weird animation style change in episode 4

Janeator - Aug 31, 2020

1 by Patriarch_Bai »»
Sep 23, 2020 12:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.