Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 3, 2020 10:33 AM

May 2018
It's a perfect ending for me.
Oct 3, 2020 3:52 PM
Jul 2018
A_G_N said:
return30223 said:

I've read the LN and that dosent change the fact that Yukino didnt pull any weight and Hachiman always came to save her. The monolouges only show her thoughts and that only shows her emotions im talking about what she actually did to try for Hachiman which is not much but him saving her. And valuing others more than oneself is true and not true, in the end she still went with Hachiman so I guess it was more valuable than her giving up her 'wish'. As for suffering downplaying by saying it was done to oneself dosent make it any better, in reality everyone could avoid their suffering in this case if they wanted to its not like anyone was forcing Hachiman and Yukino to suffer because of the love triangle as well they could have ended it early.. And bruh really? Lol.. manipulated into thinking shes bad for Hachiman, now thats some next level of victimizing. It's her choice into thinking if shes good than Hachiman, stop acting like Yui manipulated her into thinking she wasnt a good fit for him? Thats such a reach.
No no, Yui didnt, Haruno did, with her codependency, not Yui...

And for Yukino not helping Hachiman, since the 1st vol, Yukino's been trying to change him, all of her grievances in s2 was her trying to change his way of thinking and stop his self sacrifices, in the last 3 vols, Hachimam doesnt really need help, he needed guidance, which only Sensei could give, Yukino was being insecure that last 3 vols, she doesnt trust her decisions in those vols, so she acceots whatever Haruno says, her situation and other reasonings led her to this conclusion. And for Hachiman "saving her", I dont think he really did "save her", he was saving himself if I'm really being frank, Hachiman himself says in the novel that only his idea for the 2nd prom is his, everything else is still done by Yukino herself, he states that he's only a helper to her and not really the actual planner, and he's right, Hachiman actually only comes up with the 2nd prom idea and nothing else, even that was done with everybody's help, while the 1st prom was entirely planned by Yukino.

Yukino in the last 3 vols didnt actually need any help, her independent was a personal goal more than something she desperately needs for her character to grow, since she's already done stuff independently before, she really didnt need to prove anything, but in her mind, thats not enough. Almost like she only wanted it do it to prove something to her sister and mother, understandable since her entire life she's been compared to her sister and her mother did the same, so she wanted to prove them wrong, but even Hachiman and even us know that it really wasnt neccessary as she didnt need to that, but it was her personal goal and Hachiman respected that, thats why he goes along with it..

And for Yukino's actions, I'll just use this in-depth analysis of Yukino's character by an redditor, since explaining her situation is pretty hard, just read this to understand it - https://www.reddit.com/r/OreGairuSNAFU/comments/j38tq4/concerning_yukino_and_her_development/?

Idk from how I see it, even if he is saving her for his own satisfaction I still see it as him saving her. If Hachiman never puts all the effort to help her and run back to her even after she cuts things off nothing would ever get pushed forward. She is never the one to push things forward. Yes she was actively trying to change Hachiman's tendencies in S2 but that's just helping each other because they care about each other, I'm saying actively pursuing him in a romantic aspect. And in S3 yes she now wants to prove that she's independent and can do things on her own, that's understandable. My argument is that she's still being contradictory from telling Hachiman to save her then disappearing and telling him to grant Yuis wish then breaking their relationship, to changing her mind again when Hachiman runs back to her. I see alot of people saying things like she sacrificed her love and all that but sacrifice means nothing if you still take it back. It's like saying "I want you to have this" but then take it back when the person you give it to offers it back. If she was like that she should have never "gave up" anything in the first place. The anime/LN did a bad job convincing me that Yukino deserved to win other than enforcing why their so alike.
Oct 3, 2020 4:39 PM

Sep 2009
A_G_N said:
HaarWyvern said:

Then what is the purpose of Yui's presence in the LN, why is she in the story ?
I asked it frankly, because I don't like oregairu's characters apart from Iroha and Yui so I won't read it but I'm still curious and I know from the start that she doesn't have a chance (that it's stupid for a harem, even if it's the same in most of them, and yeah maybe the LN wasn't an harem but the anime is (to me)) and I've read that it's even more obvious in the LN because of the Yukino focus.

I don't plan to watch the S3 too.
(Yeah I hate edgy guys&girls like 8man&Yukino are showed in the anime version, maybe because I'm pretty friendly IRL as Yui or Iroha myself and I don't like the way of thinking of the MC here.)
The purpose of the Yui scenes was to show how pained Hachiman was when he wasnt with Yukino, akd was with Yui, it showed how he cant be without Yukino, his monolgues show that the club was the only way for him to associate with Yukino. But anime cuts everything out, so thats why...

Yui's purpose in the story, tbh, everyone apart from Hachiman and Yukino are just plot devices if you look at it from a different perspective, albeit really really well done plot devices, atleast in the LN it is..

Now if you only like Yui and Iroha, its understandble since s2 glorified them both and made them look ideal to keep up with Yukino who was also really really nerfed to be equal to them, s3 dials back o Iroha a bit, but fully makes Yui scenes glorifed to max level, while cutting and changing Yukino scenes to make her appear less "sweet" atleast 50% of her and Hachiman's stuff was cut, and if Edginess is why you dont like them, thats fine, nobody likes their edgy selves that they had at the beginning, but it was understandable because of their shitty lives and so they created a barrier of edginess and coldess to help protect themselves, the whole point of the series is to make them normal at the end, s2 cut a lot of sweet moments of Hachiman and Yukino, atleast 30% was cut, but the last two eps of s3 which was basically copy pasted from LN, so it wasnt trash, shows how both of them are on the inside, if you dont plan on watching s3 thats fine, but if you wanna know how they are, watch the last two eps, that shows how Yukino is just a simple sweet girl with insecurites too, and how Hachiman is just a normal boy, albeit matured from his edgy self...

I feel like I've been arguing this point with you over multiple threads lol, but ultimately this is the board for the anime and not the LN. Especially since the topic is asking for Season 3's ending and not the LN's ending. Now you already conceded the point that the anime is a bad adaptation so I won't get into to much.

Again, I want to reiterate that I hope even anime onlys saw that Hachiman was going to end up with Yukino. He already shot down Yui multiple times and didn't even have Iroha on his radar. Although in the anime Yukino was a boring character when compared to the other two, Hachiman always had a chemistry and comfort when with her that's not present with the other two. IIRC Yukino is the only one he would actively seek out, while the other two would always have to approach him or ask him for help.

With that said my complaint about the ending, even with the LN's version still stands. Hachiman's treatment of Yui during the bench scene is uncharacteristic unless he truly did not care about their friendship. Rejecting someone you are not romantically interested in is one thing, but implying that he's fine if they stopped associating with each other is just a dickish thing to say. You might be fine with non-Hachiman and Yukino character being plot devices, but how is it okay for Hachiman to treat them as inconveniences that's in the way of him and Yukino? How is this action in line with the person that has consistently self sacrificed for others with no personal gain throughout the series?

Now on the point that he felt helpless throughout the events of S3 in the LN. I mean of course, it's a freaking stressful time. But even then it doesn't change the fact that everything just works out for the best for him and Yukino. In earlier events there were significant consequences to Hachiman's stunts, ranging from him being ostracized by his classmates to falling out with Yukino. What sort of consequences were there in this season? Yukimom was fine about being strongarmed by a high school student, prom 2 was able to happen since everybody else stopped their lives to help them out, and Yui came back to see them in the club. Not a single one of those saw the level of consequence that previously made the series so relatable and realistic.
h0ll0wxvict0ryOct 3, 2020 4:42 PM
Oct 3, 2020 9:26 PM

Oct 2008
I wouldn’t mind a special episode like with Clannad. The Tomoyo special was all I needed for closure.

Oct 3, 2020 10:14 PM
Jun 2020
h0ll0wxvict0ry said:
A_G_N said:
The purpose of the Yui scenes was to show how pained Hachiman was when he wasnt with Yukino, akd was with Yui, it showed how he cant be without Yukino, his monolgues show that the club was the only way for him to associate with Yukino. But anime cuts everything out, so thats why...

Yui's purpose in the story, tbh, everyone apart from Hachiman and Yukino are just plot devices if you look at it from a different perspective, albeit really really well done plot devices, atleast in the LN it is..

Now if you only like Yui and Iroha, its understandble since s2 glorified them both and made them look ideal to keep up with Yukino who was also really really nerfed to be equal to them, s3 dials back o Iroha a bit, but fully makes Yui scenes glorifed to max level, while cutting and changing Yukino scenes to make her appear less "sweet" atleast 50% of her and Hachiman's stuff was cut, and if Edginess is why you dont like them, thats fine, nobody likes their edgy selves that they had at the beginning, but it was understandable because of their shitty lives and so they created a barrier of edginess and coldess to help protect themselves, the whole point of the series is to make them normal at the end, s2 cut a lot of sweet moments of Hachiman and Yukino, atleast 30% was cut, but the last two eps of s3 which was basically copy pasted from LN, so it wasnt trash, shows how both of them are on the inside, if you dont plan on watching s3 thats fine, but if you wanna know how they are, watch the last two eps, that shows how Yukino is just a simple sweet girl with insecurites too, and how Hachiman is just a normal boy, albeit matured from his edgy self...

I feel like I've been arguing this point with you over multiple threads lol, but ultimately this is the board for the anime and not the LN. Especially since the topic is asking for Season 3's ending and not the LN's ending. Now you already conceded the point that the anime is a bad adaptation so I won't get into to much.

Again, I want to reiterate that I hope even anime onlys saw that Hachiman was going to end up with Yukino. He already shot down Yui multiple times and didn't even have Iroha on his radar. Although in the anime Yukino was a boring character when compared to the other two, Hachiman always had a chemistry and comfort when with her that's not present with the other two. IIRC Yukino is the only one he would actively seek out, while the other two would always have to approach him or ask him for help.

With that said my complaint about the ending, even with the LN's version still stands. Hachiman's treatment of Yui during the bench scene is uncharacteristic unless he truly did not care about their friendship. Rejecting someone you are not romantically interested in is one thing, but implying that he's fine if they stopped associating with each other is just a dickish thing to say. You might be fine with non-Hachiman and Yukino character being plot devices, but how is it okay for Hachiman to treat them as inconveniences that's in the way of him and Yukino? How is this action in line with the person that has consistently self sacrificed for others with no personal gain throughout the series?

Now on the point that he felt helpless throughout the events of S3 in the LN. I mean of course, it's a freaking stressful time. But even then it doesn't change the fact that everything just works out for the best for him and Yukino. In earlier events there were significant consequences to Hachiman's stunts, ranging from him being ostracized by his classmates to falling out with Yukino. What sort of consequences were there in this season? Yukimom was fine about being strongarmed by a high school student, prom 2 was able to happen since everybody else stopped their lives to help them out, and Yui came back to see them in the club. Not a single one of those saw the level of consequence that previously made the series so relatable and realistic.
Wait wait, Hachiman was uncharacterisitc during his rejection with Yui? How so? He does care about her, thats hwy he lets her down gently instead of bluntly rejecting, also the fact that he's not ready to say those words mentally as he is y'know like that, he also does the same with Yukino, indirectly doing it and conveying it at the same time, thats why Hachiman says to not wait for him to Yui, which is a callback to when Yui said that to him in s1, Hachiman does care about her, he does look at her like a friend, but ultimately its Yukino he's after...

And for prom consequences and Yukimom accepting his proposal, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to use the LN card here, cuz anime cut those stuff and downplayed them, Yukimom accepts Hachiman's proposal in s3 ep 8 because of only one reason, her daughter, it wasnt because Hachiman pulled a 200 IQ move, Yukimom knew from the beginning that the 2nd prom was just a sham, but she accepted because this one boy was creating an entire prom just for one person, so she was a bit interested and gave up it because Hachiman was basically begging at that point, now for consequences, what type of consequences shouuld there be tho? He's not self sacrificing, he properly explained to everyone that the 2nd prom was just a sham, its not like he hid that fact, and since he knew Yukimom and even Haruno prob knew this too, it wasnt really a big secret really. Hachiman states he's incredibly lucky to just pull this off, so any bad consequnces cant really be given since Hachiman's learned fom his past mistakes and was open with everybody, so in the end it was their choice to help him.

And for the rest of the prom budget and every other thing, Hachiman properly gives everybody some kind of mutual benefit to had from it, the other school who funded it where gonna be getting equal mutual benefits from helping them, but anime again cuts it out.

All of the plot holes that this season has was just because of bad adaptation, since the LN is still the top 3rd Ln in MAL, that should give an idea that LN didnt really mess anything up and properly explained every plot hole and was done incredibly well...
A_G_NOct 3, 2020 10:22 PM
Oct 3, 2020 11:36 PM
Jun 2020
return30223 said:
A_G_N said:
No no, Yui didnt, Haruno did, with her codependency, not Yui...

And for Yukino not helping Hachiman, since the 1st vol, Yukino's been trying to change him, all of her grievances in s2 was her trying to change his way of thinking and stop his self sacrifices, in the last 3 vols, Hachimam doesnt really need help, he needed guidance, which only Sensei could give, Yukino was being insecure that last 3 vols, she doesnt trust her decisions in those vols, so she acceots whatever Haruno says, her situation and other reasonings led her to this conclusion. And for Hachiman "saving her", I dont think he really did "save her", he was saving himself if I'm really being frank, Hachiman himself says in the novel that only his idea for the 2nd prom is his, everything else is still done by Yukino herself, he states that he's only a helper to her and not really the actual planner, and he's right, Hachiman actually only comes up with the 2nd prom idea and nothing else, even that was done with everybody's help, while the 1st prom was entirely planned by Yukino.

Yukino in the last 3 vols didnt actually need any help, her independent was a personal goal more than something she desperately needs for her character to grow, since she's already done stuff independently before, she really didnt need to prove anything, but in her mind, thats not enough. Almost like she only wanted it do it to prove something to her sister and mother, understandable since her entire life she's been compared to her sister and her mother did the same, so she wanted to prove them wrong, but even Hachiman and even us know that it really wasnt neccessary as she didnt need to that, but it was her personal goal and Hachiman respected that, thats why he goes along with it..

And for Yukino's actions, I'll just use this in-depth analysis of Yukino's character by an redditor, since explaining her situation is pretty hard, just read this to understand it - https://www.reddit.com/r/OreGairuSNAFU/comments/j38tq4/concerning_yukino_and_her_development/?

Idk from how I see it, even if he is saving her for his own satisfaction I still see it as him saving her. If Hachiman never puts all the effort to help her and run back to her even after she cuts things off nothing would ever get pushed forward. She is never the one to push things forward. Yes she was actively trying to change Hachiman's tendencies in S2 but that's just helping each other because they care about each other, I'm saying actively pursuing him in a romantic aspect. And in S3 yes she now wants to prove that she's independent and can do things on her own, that's understandable. My argument is that she's still being contradictory from telling Hachiman to save her then disappearing and telling him to grant Yuis wish then breaking their relationship, to changing her mind again when Hachiman runs back to her. I see alot of people saying things like she sacrificed her love and all that but sacrifice means nothing if you still take it back. It's like saying "I want you to have this" but then take it back when the person you give it to offers it back. If she was like that she should have never "gave up" anything in the first place. The anime/LN did a bad job convincing me that Yukino deserved to win other than enforcing why their so alike.
I mean, how exactly doess Hachiman "save" Yukino? All he's done create a 2nd prom to save the 1st prom, he only comes up with that idea, which isnt even an good one since Yukimom and Haruno knew from the beginning why he was doing it, he states it himself that he's just a helping hand, the 1st prom is still entirely done by Yukino herself, while the 2nd prom's idea was only Hachiman's. He still did it with the help of everybody which isnt really shown in anime, cuts it out. He even states to himself in his mind that Yukino will save "her" herself after ep 8's events. And for pushing things forward, I disagree, since she tries to do it herself but Hachiman comes and does something underhanded for some wrong reasons, in s1 she's done stuff and succeded, in s2 the confession to Hina, president arc, Yukino was follwing the direct method, let Tobe confess and get rejected so Hayama's group can move on, which is the right thing to do, but Hachiman comes and stops that amd self sacrifices himself in the same process, in president arc, Yukino was trying to become president so that her personal wish of being independent and her doing things alone problem will be solved at the same time, but again Hachiman stops that with his underhanded method because he and Yui though that the club being gone will destroy their "friendship". Thats why Yukino also felt betrayed because she too had put expectations on Hachiman of him hating the fake just like she did, but after the president arc, both Hachiman and Yui move on like nothing happened, so Yukino thinking if thats what they wanted, she'll do the same, as she cant be blunt like she was before because she now cares about them, and because of her insecurity concerning her closed ones, she puts their wishes above hers. So she has tried to move in the right direction, but gets corrupted by Hachiman's decisions and feelings with his underhamdd methods.

And for trying to follow him romanctically, well, lets agree that she's a really socially awkward person and doesnt know how to properly convey it like Yui, a normal girl with a normal life knows how to, same with Hachiman, all he does for her romantically is just stay with her, and nothing else, because both of them are like that, and if she does do it, its all subtle, like how Yukino holds his cuff when they're travelling in a train, its only those little tiny things that she knew to do, and for gravitating towards him, she does do it when Hachiman himslef doesnt do it, which is really rare, but its seen in s2 OVA when Yukino gravitates towards Hachiman on their date. Even the fan translators who traslated the novels say that the 17 vols were just a glorified love novel between Hachiman and Yukino, and I agree with that, just those moments are conveyed by Hachiman and Yukino in their own way, Hachiman explains that evn being slient with her is enjoyable to him, so I cant really say they havent tried stuff out.

Now for Yukino's wish, she's been trying to cut Hachiman off multiple times in s3, she atleast rejects his advances atleast 5 or 6 times before ep 8 itself, but Hachiman was persistent and didnt budge, then when the competition was established by Hachiman in ep 5 as a way for him to help her, Yukino uses that competition to her advantage and decides that she will wish to end the relationship like that since Hachiman wont listen to her, and in ep 8, when it was looking like she was going to use the competition as her wish to end things, Hachiman immediatley starts saying that the competition isnt over and starts denying it by saying that she just won a battle, but the wars still left, seeing Hachiman being persistent again, she says to Hachiman to decide then, Hachiman shuts up because he cant decide her decisions for himself since thats what she's being trying to avoid doing, this was done by Yukino to cut off Hachiman's excuses, and then she says her wish to end things, then until ep 10, she gives her final goodbye, which was an romeo juliet reference when they both talk to each other in the stage amd Hachiman up high, after the rehearsal Yukino waves goodbye to Hachiman, which was symbolism that she was going to end things, the second last volume ended on that note, but anime cuts that entire scene off, ep 8 was adapted trashly so I wont even think people got anything from that ep, even Hayama's convo with Haruno was cut and made like trash, "They are beings that are ready to go to hell for each other", Hayama to Haruno during that covo which anime again cuts off, like I said the entire 17 novels is just Hachiman and Yukino being Romeo and Juliet 2.0, anime has cut off soooo many of their interactions in every season that its criminal how badly adapted they were, they're soo madly in love that them being apart doesnt even matter, becuase they've ridiculously high chemistry with each other in the novels, when Hachiman says that he will give everything to her, he does mean that, its not just him indirectly saying he loves her or anything, Hachiman and Yukino are THAT close.

It wont be too farfetched to say that both s2 and 3 are just alternate realites with how much Hachiman and Yukino stuff was cut off, and the plot without those things are just moot. I mean, just look at Oregairu's novels place in MAL, its the third top novel of all time, barely behind only Monogatari, that should atleast give you an idea of how the LN was, and how average the anime was compared to that, the anime rating side in MAL might be popularity based, but the manga and novel side is criticially rated, so its pretty accurate to say that the novel was perfectly done..

All of the issues anime has, novel has pretty much explained it incredibly well, so blame anime for these things really..

Sorry for the big wall of text, but yeah, I'm peeved about the fact that oregairu, one of the highest and critically acclaimed light novel of all time got a trash adaptation for every season with s3 just straight up happening in another universe with different characters, while other great or average works atleast got a very well done adaptation, its a wonder that anime is as popular as it is while only showing a fraction of what the novel was about, and I'm also afraid that anime will be the face of oregairu when people are judging it...😅
A_G_NOct 3, 2020 11:53 PM
Oct 3, 2020 11:47 PM

May 2016
Disappointing..
Whose eyes are those eyes?
Oct 4, 2020 12:18 AM

Sep 2009
A_G_N said:
h0ll0wxvict0ry said:

Wait wait, Hachiman was uncharacterisitc during his rejection with Yui? How so? He does care about her, thats hwy he lets her down gently instead of bluntly rejecting, also the fact that he's not ready to say those words mentally as he is y'know like that, he also does the same with Yukino, indirectly doing it and conveying it at the same time, thats why Hachiman says to not wait for him to Yui, which is a callback to when Yui said that to him in s1, Hachiman does care about her, he does look at her like a friend, but ultimately its Yukino he's after...

And for prom consequences and Yukimom accepting his proposal, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to use the LN card here, cuz anime cut those stuff and downplayed them, Yukimom accepts Hachiman's proposal in s3 ep 8 because of only one reason, her daughter, it wasnt because Hachiman pulled a 200 IQ move, Yukimom knew from the beginning that the 2nd prom was just a sham, but she accepted because this one boy was creating an entire prom just for one person, so she was a bit interested and gave up it because Hachiman was basically begging at that point, now for consequences, what type of consequences shouuld there be tho? He's not self sacrificing, he properly explained to everyone that the 2nd prom was just a sham, its not like he hid that fact, and since he knew Yukimom and even Haruno prob knew this too, it wasnt really a big secret really. Hachiman states he's incredibly lucky to just pull this off, so any bad consequnces cant really be given since Hachiman's learned fom his past mistakes and was open with everybody, so in the end it was their choice to help him.

And for the rest of the prom budget and every other thing, Hachiman properly gives everybody some kind of mutual benefit to had from it, the other school who funded it where gonna be getting equal mutual benefits from helping them, but anime again cuts it out.

All of the plot holes that this season has was just because of bad adaptation, since the LN is still the top 3rd Ln in MAL, that should give an idea that LN didnt really mess anything up and properly explained every plot hole and was done incredibly well...

Think back to some of the things he said to Yui. Remember when talking about Yukino he says with the club closing and him not keeping in touch with people, him and Yukino would eventually stop associating with each other. This also transfers to Yui as without the club they would have no reason to interact with each other. Thus on the bench not only is Hachiman rejecting Yui romantically he is also signaling that he is willing to let their friendship end as well. This is just more salt on the wound and he didn't have to give a whole speech about this when rejecting her. Alternatively it's possible he says this to her as it only applies to Yukino, knowing that Yui will continue to make efforts to be his friend. This essentially translates into "I don't want to date and won't make efforts to be your friend, but if you keep approaching me then maybe we can hang out sometime." Doesn't that come off as douchebaggy to you? Are either of the above scenario what you expect from Hachiman? The worst part is that the 2nd scenario does come to pass. Even after everything Yui was still willing to help him out with the 2nd prom and even returned to visit the club at the end. This is a disappointing turn for her character as despite saying multiple times she is not a "nice girl", she apparently is and her character (along with many other characters) have no resolution in the ending at all.

See part of "Hachiman properly gives everybody some kind of mutual benefit to had from it" is the type of lazy convenience that I dislike in the ending. Hachiman is a smart high school kid, not some super negotiator. If he was then in earlier seasons he should have just "convinced" people not to take stupid actions instead of martyring himself for their sake. Think of all the time and effort that went into making the 1st prom work. It was a single school event hosted on school grounds. Compare this to prom 2, a multi-school event off campus. The amount of logistic and labor involved greatly increases yet he was able to just talk everyone into helping him? If we give him the benefit of the doubt, then at the minimum such a large undertaking would be its own arc. How much of the last volume was dedicated to making prom 2 happen?
h0ll0wxvict0ryOct 4, 2020 12:29 AM
Oct 4, 2020 1:58 AM
Sep 2020
h0ll0wxvict0ry said:
A_G_N said:

Think back to some of the things he said to Yui. Remember when talking about Yukino he says with the club closing and him not keeping in touch with people, him and Yukino would eventually stop associating with each other. This also transfers to Yui as without the club they would have no reason to interact with each other. Thus on the bench not only is Hachiman rejecting Yui romantically he is also signaling that he is willing to let their friendship end as well. This is just more salt on the wound and he didn't have to give a whole speech about this when rejecting her. Alternatively it's possible he says this to her as it only applies to Yukino, knowing that Yui will continue to make efforts to be his friend. This essentially translates into "I don't want to date and won't make efforts to be your friend, but if you keep approaching me then maybe we can hang out sometime." Doesn't that come off as douchebaggy to you? Are either of the above scenario what you expect from Hachiman? The worst part is that the 2nd scenario does come to pass. Even after everything Yui was still willing to help him out with the 2nd prom and even returned to visit the club at the end. This is a disappointing turn for her character as despite saying multiple times she is not a "nice girl", she apparently is and her character (along with many other characters) have no resolution in the ending at all.

See part of "Hachiman properly gives everybody some kind of mutual benefit to had from it" is the type of lazy convenience that I dislike in the ending. Hachiman is a smart high school kid, not some super negotiator. If he was then in earlier seasons he should have just "convinced" people not to take stupid actions instead of martyring himself for their sake. Think of all the time and effort that went into making the 1st prom work. It was a single school event hosted on school grounds. Compare this to prom 2, a multi-school event off campus. The amount of logistic and labor involved greatly increases yet he was able to just talk everyone into helping him? If we give him the benefit of the doubt, then at the minimum such a large undertaking would be its own arc. How much of the last volume was dedicated to making prom 2 happen?

The club closing down affects yukino and hachiman's relationship greatly whereas yui and hachiman's relationship can exist without the club... yui is a extroverted person she'll approach hachiman regardless if they're in a club or not. Yukino and hachiman are both introverts thus the club closing down affects them more. No it doesn't translate into "I don't want to date and won't make efforts to be your friend, but if you keep approaching me then maybe we can hang out sometime", there is no implication of this in the ln nor the anime, he's talking about facing his feelings without bending his words and actually confessing to yukino properly. Hachiman and yui's conversation was about him and yukino not him and yui. They only diverge from the topic when he apologises for being a pain in the ass, then later stating that she doesn't have to wait for him to confess to her as it will never happen. She returned to visit the club at the end to mend their relationship, not because she's a nice girl lol. And yes yui is not a nice girl, she knows the suffering that hachiman and yukino was going through just to grant her bullsht wish yet she turns a blind eye towards it. She repeatedly mentions her guilt throughout vol 13, disgusted from herself. Yui is disingenuous and she herself states this.... Yukino's suffering throughout this season far outweighs her 'suffering'. Yh and about the prom 2 arc the anime fcked it.....
Oct 4, 2020 2:03 AM

Apr 2020
Atleast it was better than prom arc lol
Oct 4, 2020 2:36 AM

Sep 2009
Even though it's a departure from the self depriving and scheming Hachiman from the previous seasons I still like it overall. Honestly it might be somewhat of a copout but I think they did the whole destined vanilla couple pretty well. I felt the last couple episodes pulled though enough to make you forget the slower and more drawn out prom planning episodes.

It's a good thing it ended on a more lighthearted note in my opinion. Hachiman couldn't keep up all that edginess forever and if he did it would become tiresome sooner then later.
Oct 4, 2020 2:42 AM
Jun 2020
h0ll0wxvict0ry said:
A_G_N said:

The last two volumes were dedicated to make the 2nd prom happen, the last vol being the biggest in the series, amd is easily ep 1-9 volumes combined and doubled the length. But anime did a terrible job with it, so nothing can even be explained by me, Hachiman negotiating with people, its only just Tamanawa he negotiates with for the other school, its not really that much of a big move, just simple terms and benefits as much as a president can provide or somethimg that is, its explaimed well and believably in LN, anime doesnt do anything about it..

Now the thing he says to Yukino is only regarding her and him, Yui isnt involved, he states them because they're the only socially awkward people in the group, Yui isnt, if the club ended, Hachiman states that they'll drift apart, because them maintaining that sort of fakeness isnt their forte, they both despise that, but Yukino insists that she'll atleast try because she has to now, but Hachiman stops her because she doesnt have to, Hachiman cant maintain that sort of stuff amd so he conveys his emotions to make her understand..

The club ending will not really stop them from interacting, they've already passed that hurdle, Hachiman meant that he wont be able to maintain that while acting fake towards Yukino, and Yukino vice versa, and thats why he says they'll drift aprat..
Putting salt in Yui's wound.... not really, this is the fourth time she's being indirectly rejected, 1st being on s1 when they go the the festival and Hachiman insists her to pick up the phone because he knew he knew she was about to confess, so he stops her from doing it, indirectly rejecting her, 2nd was during s2 last ep when Yui was proposing her "I'll take it all" plan to Yukino and forcing her to give up on her love(I'll explain this later)Yui "I'll take it all" meant having Hachiman as Bf and Yukino as friend, Hachima rejects this notion of hers by saying Yukino can make her own decisions and forcing her isnt the way, effectively rejecting her again by declini g with Yui's proposal, 3rd is during s3 ep 4 when Hachiman unconsciously and accidently rehects her again when he was conveying his "excuse/desire" of Yukino to Sensei, and 4th was the ep 11 rejection. Most of the pain Yui goes through is just her fault of being persistent after being rejected countless times, Hachiman even rejects her vaguely to avoid causing her more pain in ep 11 rejection. I'll be honest, Hachiman is codependent of Yui, he states it clearly that he uses Yui for his personal gains, using her to motivate/convince other students, he says it in his monologue that he has used Yui for personal gain for the sile purpose of being close to Yukino, the president arc in s2 is also another example. This is ignoring the fact that Yui's love isnt.... pure in the forst place, Yui is in love with the ideal image of Hachiman, the hachiman that saved her dog, this is shown during her monolgies when she states Hachiman as her "hero" and also that he'll always come to save people, like some heroic figure that she's build up in her mind, ofc anything hinting to that is cut in s3, so Yui' love isnt great because she loves an ideal image and was gonna be disspaointed and betrayed when she saw the real hachiman(if they got together that is..)

Now for the "not a nice girl" speech she makes, as much as anime wants to shove that under the rugs, the truth of the matter is she's right, she's done some real selfish shit to get close to Hachiman. Her helping with the 2nd prom was her only way to be close to Hachiman, as she says so herself, not saying that she doesnt want to help Yukino, but ultimately its her wishes she's gonna be putting forward first as the series has shown, this is first shown in s2 ep 13, during their "outing" which Yui invited them on, since 80% of anime only didnt even get what this ep was actually about, I'm gonna put an brief analysis of that ep-

[Analysis of s2 ep 13]
Basically, Yui invited them to an outing to confront their feelings, also an way for her to get close to Hachiman and make Yukino give up on her feelings for Hachiman by showing how close both Hachiman and Yui are.

Yui goes on to say innacurate stuff about Penguins in the aqaurium scene and tries acting cute to Hachiman, Hachiman is indifferent to this. Yukino out of consideration moved away fron them to give them space, but Hachiman follows her right after, seeing that she's failing to get Hachiman's attention once again, she intiates her plan to comfront them head on.

Yui goes on to reminisce about their school life, and the service club and the people involved to both Hachiman and Yukino, Yui after giving her chocolates to Hachiman, starts confronting Yukino, who was contemplating whether to give her own chocolates to Hachiman, and then Yui starts saying she will "take it all" and that Yukino shouldn't worry about their relationship, and that Yui will take care of their stop in their relationship they had and will instead take it in her own direction. By "it" she means, she will have both Hachiman as BF and Yukino as her friend, and so confronts Yukino to not do anything about their relationship.

Yukino starts crying out of helplessness, deciding whether to accept Yui's proposal of giving up on her love or confront it herself, just when Yukino was about to accept Yui's proposal, Hachiman interjects and instead points out to Yui that Yukino can make her own decisions, and that forcing it on her isnt the right way, an indirect rejection by Hachiman to Yui's proposal, meaning an indirect rejection of Yui's love of Hachiman. Yui then says that she knew he would've interjected and stopped her.

Listening to Hachiman, Yukino starts opening up and decides to share her actual wish/goal to both of them, and there the episode ends.

This is what actually happens, anime might make it as vague as possible by cutting Hachiman's monologue which explains it, but if you pay ridiculous attention then people can figure it out, which is a bad way to do things, not treating the audience as dumb is great and all, but some stuff just needs clear explanation and not just theories to go on for..

Now for s3, they've basically cut all if Yui's selfish acts which is what makes her human in the first place amd turned her into ideal nice girl for the sake of what, individual girl merch? I'm sure they thought since Yukino "wins", lets build up Yui like she's the victim, at the same time why not cut all of the scenes where Yukino is being increidbly selfless just so Yui would shine, s3 was basically studio throwing a bone at the Yui fans, and the fans without any sort of doubt took it like a champ(most of the people here)

Its especially laughable when they make love rejection seem like its much more painful than 17 yrs of torment Hachiman and Yukino faced and make Yui seem like the victim in s3, even tho she's the one stopping themm from their friends having happiness after years of torment, Hachiman and Yukino wwre the most suffering this season, but they literally cut evrything that showed their pain, Yukino's insecurity pain, familial pain, seeing her love hanging out with her best friend throught out the season and thinking he prefers Yui, codependency poison that Haruno put in her, her friend trying to mkae her give up on her love which anime stealthily cuts off again.

I know blaming the original novel would seem like the easy option, but its not, something so obviously flawed wouldnt be rated as high as it is in both mal, and other sites, literally every notion majority of anime only have of oregairu and its characterss are in some form wrong, s1 was a good adaptation but sucked in artstyle and animation, s2 was great in that regard but sucked in literally everything else, and Yukino was nerfed to the level of Yui and Iroha, the most beautiful girl in school turned to be on the same level as Yui and Iroha, not to mention the glorification that was s2 for both Yui and Iroha, which inherently made it seem like a harem essentially, from a person who has been analysing anime and novel for 4 yrs, I'll say everything that happens after s1 is an different universe with different characters and different motivations, from the well written characters, they were turned into waifu selling products, and since only a fraction of Yukino's scenes were enough to convey her "waifu'ism", so they cut out a looottt, s1 cut out an entire novel of her scenes because of 13 eps time restraints, s2 cuts 30% of her scenes and almost 80% of Hachiman's thoughts and scenes with her, while cutting only 10% of both Yui and Iroha scenes, s3 is just straight up fanfiction, so here's the general concesus, an anime which had the potential to be the best romcom in anime, cuz LN sure as hell is according to Mal and is the three LN in mal, and had also one of the easiest potential to be an incredibly popular anime like Hyouka, monogatari or Your lie in april or somethng, is instead just above average, with only scrapes of the LN to keep it above average...

Tbf, the oregairu novels is just a glorified love novel for Hachiman and Yukino and them both are just Romeo and Juilet 2.0 as hard as it is to believe from watching the anime. They even cut out great lines like "They are beings ready to go to hell for each other"-Hayama to Haruno in ep 8 of s3(this is one of amny many lines that was cut off) also cut out an entire Romeo and Juliet reference/scene in ep 10 because they were too busy animationg Yui tart making in ep 9 so they didnt have time left, an entire freaking ep wasted when there was only 12 eps this season...

If you really really wanna see what these really well written characters are truly like, I can only offer the LN or even Manga which isnt twisting and changing characters like anime did, if you didnt like the pairing amd have issues with the season, I can understand, since it came out of nowhere and Hachiman confessed like they were deeply in love in anime when anime never showed Hachiman having anything like that...
A_G_NOct 4, 2020 2:56 AM
Oct 4, 2020 2:57 AM
Jun 2020
LordLagann said:
Even though it's a departure from the self depriving and scheming Hachiman from the previous seasons I still like it overall. Honestly it might be somewhat of a copout but I think they did the whole destined vanilla couple pretty well. I felt the last couple episodes pulled though enough to make you forget the slower and more drawn out prom planning episodes.

It's a good thing it ended on a more lighthearted note in my opinion. Hachiman couldn't keep up all that edginess forever and if he did it would become tiresome sooner then later.
Yh, anime messed uo the prom arc and Yukino stuff really really badly, but glad you liked the ending..
Oct 4, 2020 2:57 AM
Jun 2020
Tristar_Shinobi said:
Atleast it was better than prom arc lol
Anime messed up prom arc really badly...😅
Oct 4, 2020 10:38 AM
Jul 2018
A_G_N said:
return30223 said:

I mean, how exactly doess Hachiman "save" Yukino? All he's done create a 2nd prom to save the 1st prom, he only comes up with that idea, which isnt even an good one since Yukimom and Haruno knew from the beginning why he was doing it, he states it himself that he's just a helping hand, the 1st prom is still entirely done by Yukino herself, while the 2nd prom's idea was only Hachiman's. He still did it with the help of everybody which isnt really shown in anime, cuts it out. He even states to himself in his mind that Yukino will save "her" herself after ep 8's events. And for pushing things forward, I disagree, since she tries to do it herself but Hachiman comes and does something underhanded for some wrong reasons, in s1 she's done stuff and succeded, in s2 the confession to Hina, president arc, Yukino was follwing the direct method, let Tobe confess and get rejected so Hayama's group can move on, which is the right thing to do, but Hachiman comes and stops that amd self sacrifices himself in the same process, in president arc, Yukino was trying to become president so that her personal wish of being independent and her doing things alone problem will be solved at the same time, but again Hachiman stops that with his underhanded method because he and Yui though that the club being gone will destroy their "friendship". Thats why Yukino also felt betrayed because she too had put expectations on Hachiman of him hating the fake just like she did, but after the president arc, both Hachiman and Yui move on like nothing happened, so Yukino thinking if thats what they wanted, she'll do the same, as she cant be blunt like she was before because she now cares about them, and because of her insecurity concerning her closed ones, she puts their wishes above hers. So she has tried to move in the right direction, but gets corrupted by Hachiman's decisions and feelings with his underhamdd methods.

Well I'm talking about him always having to be the one to push things forward because shes never willing to, not specifically talking about the prom idea. And he does save her, if Hachiman does nothing Yukino just continues to push away from their relationship. There is no together if he does nothing because Yukino did nothing to push it forward other than abandoning their relationship.

And for trying to follow him romanctically, well, lets agree that she's a really socially awkward person and doesnt know how to properly convey it like Yui, a normal girl with a normal life knows how to, same with Hachiman, all he does for her romantically is just stay with her, and nothing else, because both of them are like that, and if she does do it, its all subtle, like how Yukino holds his cuff when they're travelling in a train, its only those little tiny things that she knew to do, and for gravitating towards him, she does do it when Hachiman himslef doesnt do it, which is really rare, but its seen in s2 OVA when Yukino gravitates towards Hachiman on their date. Even the fan translators who traslated the novels say that the 17 vols were just a glorified love novel between Hachiman and Yukino, and I agree with that, just those moments are conveyed by Hachiman and Yukino in their own way, Hachiman explains that evn being slient with her is enjoyable to him, so I cant really say they havent tried stuff out.

If thats what you consider romantic then ok.. Being social akward and shy dosent make it a reason or excuse to not do a single thing and expect people to feel justified about it because of sutble moments of them accidently touching eachother, etc.

Now for Yukino's wish, she's been trying to cut Hachiman off multiple times in s3, she atleast rejects his advances atleast 5 or 6 times before ep 8 itself, but Hachiman was persistent and didnt budge, then when the competition was established by Hachiman in ep 5 as a way for him to help her, Yukino uses that competition to her advantage and decides that she will wish to end the relationship like that since Hachiman wont listen to her, and in ep 8, when it was looking like she was going to use the competition as her wish to end things, Hachiman immediatley starts saying that the competition isnt over and starts denying it by saying that she just won a battle, but the wars still left, seeing Hachiman being persistent again, she says to Hachiman to decide then, Hachiman shuts up because he cant decide her decisions for himself since thats what she's being trying to avoid doing, this was done by Yukino to cut off Hachiman's excuses, and then she says her wish to end things, then until ep 10, she gives her final goodbye, which was an romeo juliet reference when they both talk to each other in the stage amd Hachiman up high, after the rehearsal Yukino waves goodbye to Hachiman, which was symbolism that she was going to end things, the second last volume ended on that note, but anime cuts that entire scene off, ep 8 was adapted trashly so I wont even think people got anything from that ep, even Hayama's convo with Haruno was cut and made like trash, "They are beings that are ready to go to hell for each other", Hayama to Haruno during that covo which anime again cuts off, like I said the entire 17 novels is just Hachiman and Yukino being Romeo and Juliet 2.0, anime has cut off soooo many of their interactions in every season that its criminal how badly adapted they were, they're soo madly in love that them being apart doesnt even matter, becuase they've ridiculously high chemistry with each other in the novels, when Hachiman says that he will give everything to her, he does mean that, its not just him indirectly saying he loves her or anything, Hachiman and Yukino are THAT close.

And yes we know their compatible but that was already obvious and the fact that the three care about eacohter alot. I wouldnt say there 'madly' in love as much as your exaggerating it but yes they like eachother thats obvious.. And for the rejecting it's like I said, when you commit to something you stick to it. Changing your mind is no different than accepting it in the first place.

It wont be too farfetched to say that both s2 and 3 are just alternate realites with how much Hachiman and Yukino stuff was cut off, and the plot without those things are just moot. I mean, just look at Oregairu's novels place in MAL, its the third top novel of all time, barely behind only Monogatari, that should atleast give you an idea of how the LN was, and how average the anime was compared to that, the anime rating side in MAL might be popularity based, but the manga and novel side is criticially rated, so its pretty accurate to say that the novel was perfectly done..

Bruh ranking dont matter tho lol, window watchers wont bother to give their opinions or reviews, rankings will always be skewed no matter what. And I mean It seems like that only if the story to you was just seeing the Hachiman and Yukino interactions so it's no surprise you feel that way.

All of the issues anime has, novel has pretty much explained it incredibly well, so blame anime for these things really..

Sorry for the big wall of text, but yeah, I'm peeved about the fact that oregairu, one of the highest and critically acclaimed light novel of all time got a trash adaptation for every season with s3 just straight up happening in another universe with different characters, while other great or average works atleast got a very well done adaptation, its a wonder that anime is as popular as it is while only showing a fraction of what the novel was about, and I'm also afraid that anime will be the face of oregairu when people are judging it...😅

Well I mean having LN expectations going into an anime will disappoint you 99% of the time considering most LN dont put that budget like a series like Re zero or something so you might be better off not watching it if it frustrates you that much.... But yeah idk why your afraid of people judging it based on the anime. It's a good standalone piece of work that would be much more well regarded had LN readers not rained on it. I can tell your quite attached with this series but comon does that last sentence really really matter it's just a fictional story at the end of the day people can love/hate the anime/LN however they want whether they viewed both or only one of them...
Oct 4, 2020 10:55 AM

Sep 2009
A_G_N said:
h0ll0wxvict0ry said:

The last two volumes were dedicated to make the 2nd prom happen, the last vol being the biggest in the series, amd is easily ep 1-9 volumes combined and doubled the length. But anime did a terrible job with it, so nothing can even be explained by me, Hachiman negotiating with people, its only just Tamanawa he negotiates with for the other school, its not really that much of a big move, just simple terms and benefits as much as a president can provide or somethimg that is, its explaimed well and believably in LN, anime doesnt do anything about it..

Now the thing he says to Yukino is only regarding her and him, Yui isnt involved, he states them because they're the only socially awkward people in the group, Yui isnt, if the club ended, Hachiman states that they'll drift apart, because them maintaining that sort of fakeness isnt their forte, they both despise that, but Yukino insists that she'll atleast try because she has to now, but Hachiman stops her because she doesnt have to, Hachiman cant maintain that sort of stuff amd so he conveys his emotions to make her understand..

The club ending will not really stop them from interacting, they've already passed that hurdle, Hachiman meant that he wont be able to maintain that while acting fake towards Yukino, and Yukino vice versa, and thats why he says they'll drift aprat..
Putting salt in Yui's wound.... not really, this is the fourth time she's being indirectly rejected, 1st being on s1 when they go the the festival and Hachiman insists her to pick up the phone because he knew he knew she was about to confess, so he stops her from doing it, indirectly rejecting her, 2nd was during s2 last ep when Yui was proposing her "I'll take it all" plan to Yukino and forcing her to give up on her love(I'll explain this later)Yui "I'll take it all" meant having Hachiman as Bf and Yukino as friend, Hachima rejects this notion of hers by saying Yukino can make her own decisions and forcing her isnt the way, effectively rejecting her again by declini g with Yui's proposal, 3rd is during s3 ep 4 when Hachiman unconsciously and accidently rehects her again when he was conveying his "excuse/desire" of Yukino to Sensei, and 4th was the ep 11 rejection. Most of the pain Yui goes through is just her fault of being persistent after being rejected countless times, Hachiman even rejects her vaguely to avoid causing her more pain in ep 11 rejection. I'll be honest, Hachiman is codependent of Yui, he states it clearly that he uses Yui for his personal gains, using her to motivate/convince other students, he says it in his monologue that he has used Yui for personal gain for the sile purpose of being close to Yukino, the president arc in s2 is also another example. This is ignoring the fact that Yui's love isnt.... pure in the forst place, Yui is in love with the ideal image of Hachiman, the hachiman that saved her dog, this is shown during her monolgies when she states Hachiman as her "hero" and also that he'll always come to save people, like some heroic figure that she's build up in her mind, ofc anything hinting to that is cut in s3, so Yui' love isnt great because she loves an ideal image and was gonna be disspaointed and betrayed when she saw the real hachiman(if they got together that is..)

Now for the "not a nice girl" speech she makes, as much as anime wants to shove that under the rugs, the truth of the matter is she's right, she's done some real selfish shit to get close to Hachiman. Her helping with the 2nd prom was her only way to be close to Hachiman, as she says so herself, not saying that she doesnt want to help Yukino, but ultimately its her wishes she's gonna be putting forward first as the series has shown, this is first shown in s2 ep 13, during their "outing" which Yui invited them on, since 80% of anime only didnt even get what this ep was actually about, I'm gonna put an brief analysis of that ep-

[Analysis of s2 ep 13]
Basically, Yui invited them to an outing to confront their feelings, also an way for her to get close to Hachiman and make Yukino give up on her feelings for Hachiman by showing how close both Hachiman and Yui are.

Yui goes on to say innacurate stuff about Penguins in the aqaurium scene and tries acting cute to Hachiman, Hachiman is indifferent to this. Yukino out of consideration moved away fron them to give them space, but Hachiman follows her right after, seeing that she's failing to get Hachiman's attention once again, she intiates her plan to comfront them head on.

Yui goes on to reminisce about their school life, and the service club and the people involved to both Hachiman and Yukino, Yui after giving her chocolates to Hachiman, starts confronting Yukino, who was contemplating whether to give her own chocolates to Hachiman, and then Yui starts saying she will "take it all" and that Yukino shouldn't worry about their relationship, and that Yui will take care of their stop in their relationship they had and will instead take it in her own direction. By "it" she means, she will have both Hachiman as BF and Yukino as her friend, and so confronts Yukino to not do anything about their relationship.

Yukino starts crying out of helplessness, deciding whether to accept Yui's proposal of giving up on her love or confront it herself, just when Yukino was about to accept Yui's proposal, Hachiman interjects and instead points out to Yui that Yukino can make her own decisions, and that forcing it on her isnt the right way, an indirect rejection by Hachiman to Yui's proposal, meaning an indirect rejection of Yui's love of Hachiman. Yui then says that she knew he would've interjected and stopped her.

Listening to Hachiman, Yukino starts opening up and decides to share her actual wish/goal to both of them, and there the episode ends.

This is what actually happens, anime might make it as vague as possible by cutting Hachiman's monologue which explains it, but if you pay ridiculous attention then people can figure it out, which is a bad way to do things, not treating the audience as dumb is great and all, but some stuff just needs clear explanation and not just theories to go on for..

Now for s3, they've basically cut all if Yui's selfish acts which is what makes her human in the first place amd turned her into ideal nice girl for the sake of what, individual girl merch? I'm sure they thought since Yukino "wins", lets build up Yui like she's the victim, at the same time why not cut all of the scenes where Yukino is being increidbly selfless just so Yui would shine, s3 was basically studio throwing a bone at the Yui fans, and the fans without any sort of doubt took it like a champ(most of the people here)

Its especially laughable when they make love rejection seem like its much more painful than 17 yrs of torment Hachiman and Yukino faced and make Yui seem like the victim in s3, even tho she's the one stopping themm from their friends having happiness after years of torment, Hachiman and Yukino wwre the most suffering this season, but they literally cut evrything that showed their pain, Yukino's insecurity pain, familial pain, seeing her love hanging out with her best friend throught out the season and thinking he prefers Yui, codependency poison that Haruno put in her, her friend trying to mkae her give up on her love which anime stealthily cuts off again.

I know blaming the original novel would seem like the easy option, but its not, something so obviously flawed wouldnt be rated as high as it is in both mal, and other sites, literally every notion majority of anime only have of oregairu and its characterss are in some form wrong, s1 was a good adaptation but sucked in artstyle and animation, s2 was great in that regard but sucked in literally everything else, and Yukino was nerfed to the level of Yui and Iroha, the most beautiful girl in school turned to be on the same level as Yui and Iroha, not to mention the glorification that was s2 for both Yui and Iroha, which inherently made it seem like a harem essentially, from a person who has been analysing anime and novel for 4 yrs, I'll say everything that happens after s1 is an different universe with different characters and different motivations, from the well written characters, they were turned into waifu selling products, and since only a fraction of Yukino's scenes were enough to convey her "waifu'ism", so they cut out a looottt, s1 cut out an entire novel of her scenes because of 13 eps time restraints, s2 cuts 30% of her scenes and almost 80% of Hachiman's thoughts and scenes with her, while cutting only 10% of both Yui and Iroha scenes, s3 is just straight up fanfiction, so here's the general concesus, an anime which had the potential to be the best romcom in anime, cuz LN sure as hell is according to Mal and is the three LN in mal, and had also one of the easiest potential to be an incredibly popular anime like Hyouka, monogatari or Your lie in april or somethng, is instead just above average, with only scrapes of the LN to keep it above average...

Tbf, the oregairu novels is just a glorified love novel for Hachiman and Yukino and them both are just Romeo and Juilet 2.0 as hard as it is to believe from watching the anime. They even cut out great lines like "They are beings ready to go to hell for each other"-Hayama to Haruno in ep 8 of s3(this is one of amny many lines that was cut off) also cut out an entire Romeo and Juliet reference/scene in ep 10 because they were too busy animationg Yui tart making in ep 9 so they didnt have time left, an entire freaking ep wasted when there was only 12 eps this season...

If you really really wanna see what these really well written characters are truly like, I can only offer the LN or even Manga which isnt twisting and changing characters like anime did, if you didnt like the pairing amd have issues with the season, I can understand, since it came out of nowhere and Hachiman confessed like they were deeply in love in anime when anime never showed Hachiman having anything like that...

If the author really dedicated that much time to making prom 2 happen then I can see it working out. However my point about Hachiman's poor treatment of Yui still stand. After all in the end Hachiman nor Yukino approached Yui to reignite their friendship. It's doubtful there is even any friendship to salvage, as those two are now in their own little world and Yui would just be an outsider. Moreover from Yui's perspective this rejection is particularly harsh and final. The first rejection was more like a "wait and see" as Hachiman said he didn't want her to like him just for saving her dog. The 2nd and 3rd were non-jections, with the 2nd being her getting interrupted and 3rd being Hachiman standing up for their friend. Hachiman might have intended for them to be rejections, but with no direct confrontation there is an "out ".

Honestly after speaking with you and looking around online, I may just have been overhyped about the series. Despite all its bells and whistles at the end of the day Oregairu is just another wish fulfillment harem series with a self-insert protagonist. It falls into the classic "unpopular guy joins club with two pretty girls, who end of falling in love with him" that was all the rage in the early 2010's. Granted Hachiman has much more personality than your average harem protagonist. The fact that over the course of the series Hachiman went from social pariah to choosing between two of the prettiest girls at school is just... typical shounen. Because surprise surprise, realistcally girls don't fall hopelessly in love with guys just because they are nice.
h0ll0wxvict0ryOct 4, 2020 11:20 AM
Oct 4, 2020 11:40 AM
Jun 2020
h0ll0wxvict0ry said:
A_G_N said:

[Analysis of s2 ep 13]

If the author really dedicated that much time to making prom 2 happen then I can see it working out. However my point about Hachiman's poor treatment of Yui still stand. After all in the end Hachiman nor Yukino approached Yui to reignite their friendship. It's doubtful there is even any friendship to salvage, as those two are now in their own little world and Yui would just be an outsider. Moreover from Yui's perspective this rejection is particularly harsh and final. The first rejection was more like a "wait and see" as Hachiman said he didn't want her to like him just for saving her dog. The 2nd and 3rd were non-jections, with the 2nd being her getting interrupted and 3rd being Hachiman standing up for their friend. Hachiman might have intended for them to be rejections, but with no direct confrontation there is an "out ".

Honestly after speaking with you and looking around online, I may just have been overhyped about the series. Despite all its bells and whistles at the end of the day Oregairu is just another wish fulfillment harem series with a self-insert protagonist. It falls into the classic "unpopular guy joins club with two pretty girls, who end of falling in love with him" that was all the rage in the early 2010's. Granted Hachiman has much more personality than your average harem protagonist. The fact that over the course of the series Hachiman went from social pariah to choosing between two of the prettiest girls at school is just... typical shounen. Because surprise surprise, realistcally girls don't fall hopelessly in love with guys just because they are nice.
Well, anime certainly is what you described it as, Light novel really really isnt, I... well, the anime is just your classic typical romcom, you're not the only one who thinks that, lot of readers also think that, they took the Ln and made it into a harem-isque series. I mean, the figues in MAL should be enough, the manga and novel side of mal is critically rated, and oregairu's 3rd top novel, the novel was indeed as complex as writings in monogatari for example, anime oregairu is popular for tue wrong reasons than the one LN showed, trust me this is how the figure goes LN>>>>>>>>>>>Anime, anime basically changed the universe and characters.

The part about Yui is all in the novel, every little doubt and point has been touced in novel, there's really nothing else I can say unfortunately, oregairu anime was a really bad adaptation
Oct 4, 2020 11:44 AM
Jun 2020
return30223 said:
A_G_N said:

Well I'm talking about him always having to be the one to push things forward because shes never willing to, not specifically talking about the prom idea. And he does save her, if Hachiman does nothing Yukino just continues to push away from their relationship. There is no together if he does nothing because Yukino did nothing to push it forward other than abandoning their relationship.

If thats what you consider romantic then ok.. Being social akward and shy dosent make it a reason or excuse to not do a single thing and expect people to feel justified about it because of sutble moments of them accidently touching eachother, etc.

And yes we know their compatible but that was already obvious and the fact that the three care about eacohter alot. I wouldnt say there 'madly' in love as much as your exaggerating it but yes they like eachother thats obvious.. And for the rejecting it's like I said, when you commit to something you stick to it. Changing your mind is no different than accepting it in the first place.

Bruh ranking dont matter tho lol, window watchers wont bother to give their opinions or reviews, rankings will always be skewed no matter what. And I mean It seems like that only if the story to you was just seeing the Hachiman and Yukino interactions so it's no surprise you feel that way.

Well I mean having LN expectations going into an anime will disappoint you 99% of the time considering most LN dont put that budget like a series like Re zero or something so you might be better off not watching it if it frustrates you that much.... But yeah idk why your afraid of people judging it based on the anime. It's a good standalone piece of work that would be much more well regarded had LN readers not rained on it. I can tell your quite attached with this series but comon does that last sentence really really matter it's just a fictional story at the end of the day people can love/hate the anime/LN however they want whether they viewed both or only one of them...
Well, judging it based on anime would be fine if it was done well or something, lot of anime only hve described s3 having lot of plot hols and stuff, pacing ws really bad in certain eps, there's a lot of criticisms from anime side too, if the light novel was adapted just average lile, even that wouldve been fine, its the fact that they twist and change scenes where in lies the problem, but I guess anime is fine too for some..
Oct 4, 2020 11:53 AM

Sep 2009
A_G_N said:
h0ll0wxvict0ry said:

Well, anime certainly is what you described it as, Light novel really really isnt, I... well, the anime is just your classic typical romcom, you're not the only one who thinks that, lot of readers also think that, they took the Ln and made it into a harem-isque series. I mean, the figues in MAL should be enough, the manga and novel side of mal is critically rated, and oregairu's 3rd top novel, the novel was indeed as complex as writings in monogatari for example, anime oregairu is popular for tue wrong reasons than the one LN showed, trust me this is how the figure goes LN>>>>>>>>>>>Anime, anime basically changed the universe and characters.

The part about Yui is all in the novel, every little doubt and point has been touced in novel, there's really nothing else I can say unfortunately, oregairu anime was a really bad adaptation

Here's the thing. In all three seasons + OVAs there were no anime original scenes. This means everything shown comes from the LN. You can complain about them cutting people's parts, but it's not like the production staff arbitrarily added in scenes that the writer didn't want. My point about it being a harem would still stand. Throughout the series many of the prettiest girls in school became romantically interested in Hachiman. This is the guy that in middle school asked out a girl after talking to her a couple times and at one point went for like six months without talking to a girl that wasn't related to him. Think of it this way: does anyone accuse Tsurezure Children or FMA:B as harem? No, because in those shows different characters have their own love interests and not everyone is trying to get with the protagonist.
Oct 4, 2020 11:55 AM

Jun 2016
quite satisfying ending of a mediocre series.
Oct 4, 2020 12:14 PM
Jun 2020
h0ll0wxvict0ry said:
A_G_N said:

Here's the thing. In all three seasons + OVAs there were no anime original scenes. This means everything shown comes from the LN. You can complain about them cutting people's parts, but it's not like the production staff arbitrarily added in scenes that the writer didn't want. My point about it being a harem would still stand. Throughout the series many of the prettiest girls in school became romantically interested in Hachiman. This is the guy that in middle school asked out a girl after talking to her a couple times and at one point went for like six months without talking to a girl that wasn't related to him. Think of it this way: does anyone accuse Tsurezure Children or FMA:B as harem? No, because in those shows different characters have their own love interests and not everyone is trying to get with the protagonist.
There may not be anime original scenes except some regarding Yui in s3, but thats the thing, cutting is exactly what made it seem like a harem, the girls that like Hachiman, alteast in LN, are only saki, iroha, yui and Yukino, out of which Iroha is slely interested in Hayama, Hachiman's a side fling for her, she likes Hachiman as a person amd wouldnt mind having him, but is definetly not after him, saki has a crush on him because they are both loners and Hachiman's helped her before, but thats it, she isnt after him, she just blushes when he does something, as for Yui, lets just say her love isnt really that pure as anime makes it to be seen. So as Anime implies it like, basically not showing characters hidden motivations by cutting it made it a harem, and let me assure you, the amount of tweets that the writer made throughtout s3 explaing how "this" or "that" didnt happen the way it did, or was even implied is a lot. The wiriter made sure that only Hachiman and Yukino were possible and literally nobody else could not be with Hachiman, like i said, s2 made it harem by only showing one side of the coin, and glorifying that side, s1 was the best adaptation out of every season, just by s1, can you say that s1 was harem, s2 amd 3 made it like that, by a studio who specialises in that regard a lot, its so bad to the point that another better studio has to reboot it to actually make people understand that its not a harem, or they have to read the novel to understand...

Anime and LN are two different stories in two different realities, from a person who has been comparing s2 and novel and even s3 for years, take my word for it, it is not whtever anime shows it like..

S2 OVA showed only the good Iroha waifu bits and actually cut out stuff of why she was doing it and her motives by cutting it off, cutting stuff that didnt make it a harem in the first place, and only adapting stuff that makes it "seem" like a harem is basically same bad adaptation, they adapted the LN scenes which made it seem like a harem and glorifed those scenes by changing certain lines so people would think every frealing girl was after Hachiman, even tho thats realistically not possible, the reason Yukino fell for him is because they were forced together in the club by sensei to better themsleves by using each other, out of that interactions they came to fall in love, its certainly not impossible for Hachiman, since he's described as a handsome dude in the LN, its only his eyes that make him seem like that, combined with his other quirks, he's not that bad at all, but again, "anime"completely changed people's perception of the series, the confession is only bits of what anime adapted, how Hachiman and Yukino interact on those scenes is how hachiman and yukino normally act like together, the last two eps of s3 is how those two interact like, since those two eps were literally copy pasted from LN it was fine. Its when anime puts its own spin to it that it horribly fails..
A_G_NOct 4, 2020 12:25 PM
Oct 4, 2020 12:21 PM

Sep 2009
A_G_N said:
h0ll0wxvict0ry said:

There may not be anime original scenes except some regarding Yui in s3, but thats the thing, cutting is exactly what made it seem like a harem, the girls that like Hachiman, alteast in LN, are only saki, iroha, yui and Yukino, out of which Iroha is slely interested in Hayama, Hachiman's a side fling for her, she likes Hachiman as a person amd wouldnt mind having him, but is definetly not after him, saki has a crush on him because they are both loners and Hachiman's helped her before, but thats it, she isnt after him, she just blushes when he does something, as for Yui, lets just say her love isnt really that pure as anime makes it to be seen. So as Anime implies it like, basically not showing characters hidden motivations by cutting it made it a harem, and let me assure you, the amount of tweets that the writer made throughtout s3 explaing how "this" or "that" didnt happen the way it did, or was even implied is a lot. The wiriter made sure that only Hachiman and Yukino were possible and literally nobody else could not be with Hachiman, like i said, s2 made it harem by only showing one side of the coin, and glorifying that side, s1 was the best adaptation out of every season, just by s1, can you say that s1 was harem, s2 amd 3 made it like that, by a studio who specialises in that regard a lot, its so bad to the point that another better studio has to reboot it to actually make people understand that its not a harem, or they have to read the novel to understand...

Anime and LN are two different stories in two different realities, from a person who has been comparing s2 and novel and even s3 for years, tke my word for it, it is not whtever anime shows it like..

Lol dude. The fact that multiple girls ARE interested in Hachiman is what makes it a harem. Doesn't matter if Hachiman is interested in one, none, or all of them. Hell most harem protagonists don't even realize girls are interested in them and think everyone is just friends. This doesn't eliminate them from being harem protagonists.
Oct 4, 2020 12:27 PM

Sep 2009
return30223 said:

I come from that side of the spectrum and I can say pacing issues aside there isn't any major complaints I have with season three. Honestly the small issues here and there isn't something so detrimental to the show to turn someone completely off it. I guess it's really a problem with people who are heavily invested in the print side of things. Expectations were unrealistic and as always the Anime is ultimately an advertisement piece.

As far as Romcoms go it does it better then most.
Oct 4, 2020 12:33 PM
Jun 2020
h0ll0wxvict0ry said:
A_G_N said:

Anime and LN are two different stories in two different realities, from a person who has been comparing s2 and novel and even s3 for years, tke my word for it, it is not whtever anime shows it like..

Lol dude. The fact that multiple girls ARE interested in Hachiman is what makes it a harem. Doesn't matter if Hachiman is interested in one, none, or all of them. Hell most harem protagonists don't even realize girls are interested in them and think everyone is just friends. This doesn't eliminate them from being harem protagonists.
Alright, Iroha cant be counted, she isnt interested in him, she wont mind if he goes after her, but she's not interested in him, so only saki and yui and yukino are left, out of which Yui's was always there to show how the genuine wouldnt work, so its only saki and yukino, amd since saki's not really touched upon a lot, only Yukino was left, thats pretty much it, and its by realisitc reasons too with the girls, Hachiman is an endearing character that is also good looking(except his eyes) so its really not that unbelievable, but it might look like that I guess without those monologues by Hachiman..
Oct 4, 2020 12:43 PM

Sep 2009
A_G_N said:
h0ll0wxvict0ry said:

Alright, Iroha cant be counted, she isnt interested in him, she wont mind if he goes after her, but she's not interested in him, so only saki and yui and yukino are left, out of which Yui's was always there to show how the genuine wouldnt work, so its only saki and yukino, amd since saki's not really touched upon a lot, only Yukino was left, thats pretty much it, and its by realisitc reasons too with the girls, Hachiman is an endearing character that is also good looking(except his eyes) so its really not that unbelievable, but it might look like that I guess without those monologues by Hachiman..

Now you are just eliminating girls for arbitrary reasons. Your point on Iroha is especially wrong, in her monologue in the student council room while watching Hachiman and Yukino revealed that she definitely is interested in him. I know you like to cite "I still have a chance with Hayama-senpai", but you really think in a show about people not being genuine Iroha of all people would tell the truth?

Oct 4, 2020 12:49 PM
Jun 2020
h0ll0wxvict0ry said:
A_G_N said:

Now you are just eliminating girls for arbitrary reasons. Your point on Iroha is especially wrong, in her monologue in the student council room while watching Hachiman and Yukino revealed that she definitely is interested in him. I know you like to cite "I still have a chance with Hayama-senpai", but you really think in a show about people not being genuine Iroha of all people would tell the truth?

She was jealous of them, she wanted something like those two had, she was acting jealous for the wrong reasons. Its not Hachiman, its the idea of having something similar to genuine to Iroha. Umm, like I said, anime twists and turms stuff around and excluding those little hints that make people figure it out.

Umm, srry for being persistent I guess, but discussions are important for this series so I wanted to drive home the original point😅
Oct 4, 2020 1:08 PM

Sep 2009
A_G_N said:
h0ll0wxvict0ry said:

She was jealous of them, she wanted something like those two had, she was acting jealous for the wrong reasons. Its not Hachiman, its the idea of having something similar to genuine to Iroha. Umm, like I said, anime twists and turms stuff around and excluding those little hints that make people figure it out.

Umm, srry for being persistent I guess, but discussions are important for this series so I wanted to drive home the original point😅

I would have agreed her being jealous just in general if RIGHT BEFORE the student council room scene she didn't ask him to take responsibility for her. Think of this: out of all the guys she knows, why does she choose to have him take her out on a "mock" date?

Also using your method of elimination: Yukino and Hachiman has the same colored hair -> same colored hair might indicate they are related -> can't date your relatives -> Oregairu has no romance.

Also don't worry about being persistent. It's important to stand up for the things you are passionate about. I usually don't bother with arguing with strangers on the internet, but something about this series' ending just doesn't sit right with me. I've been on this site for over 10 years and all of my posts have been made after the S3 finale lol.
h0ll0wxvict0ryOct 4, 2020 1:14 PM
Oct 4, 2020 1:37 PM
Jun 2020
h0ll0wxvict0ry said:
A_G_N said:

I would have agreed her being jealous just in general if RIGHT BEFORE the student council room scene she didn't ask him to take responsibility for her. Think of this: out of all the guys she knows, why does she choose to have him take her out on a "mock" date?

Also using your method of elimination: Yukino and Hachiman has the same colored hair -> same colored hair might indicate they are related -> can't date your relatives -> Oregairu has no romance.

Also don't worry about being persistent. It's important to stand up for the things you are passionate about. I usually don't bother with arguing with strangers on the internet, but something about this series' ending just doesn't sit right with me. I've been on this site for over 10 years and all of my posts have been made after the S3 finale lol.
Hehe, well, forget Iroha then I guess, its believably done romance then, the thing is Hachiman and Yukino have been way too developed in novel to the point of being too in love with each other, so the other pairings dont even matter that much as Hachiman's shakespeare type monologues emphasizing Yukino in literally every scene he meets her is enough to convey it, not counting the fact of their amazing chemistry too. Well, anime's over I guess, so it doesnt really matter a lot now, still I wish they did Hachiman and Yukino right in both s2 and 3, like how Hayama states to Haruno of them as "beings who are ready to go to hell for each other"-ep 8(cut line), that atleast would have made the anime fine..
Oct 4, 2020 1:46 PM

Sep 2009
A_G_N said:
h0ll0wxvict0ry said:

Hehe, well, forget Iroha then I guess, its believably done romance then, the thing is Hachiman and Yukino have been way too developed in novel to the point of being too in love with each other, so the other pairings dont even matter that much as Hachiman's shakespeare type monologues emphasizing Yukino in literally every scene he meets her is enough to convey it, not counting the fact of their amazing chemistry too. Well, anime's over I guess, so it doesnt really matter a lot now, still I wish they did Hachiman and Yukino right in both s2 and 3, like how Hayama states to Haruno of them as "beings who are ready to go to hell for each other"-ep 8(cut line), that atleast would have made the anime fine..

I'm not questioning Yukino and Hachiman's relationship in the LN. I'm just saying you can't discount the other girls just because Hachiman has his eyes set on his main girl. Throughout the series all those other girls along with Yukino falls for him mostly because he's nice and helps them with things. This is a huge departure from who he is established to be in the beginning of the series. Like I said maybe I'm just getting too old for this type of series and can't suspend my disbelief like before.
Oct 4, 2020 2:40 PM
Jun 2020
h0ll0wxvict0ry said:
A_G_N said:

I'm not questioning Yukino and Hachiman's relationship in the LN. I'm just saying you can't discount the other girls just because Hachiman has his eyes set on his main girl. Throughout the series all those other girls along with Yukino falls for him mostly because he's nice and helps them with things. This is a huge departure from who he is established to be in the beginning of the series. Like I said maybe I'm just getting too old for this type of series and can't suspend my disbelief like before.
Cant say its because only he's nice or helps them, Iroha likes Hachiman because he's smart to her, and is equally trashy like her, plus he doesnt act like the other dudes too, so that maybe why, plus the genuine request might have made him more interesting to her, Saki's isnt really stated if she likes him or not, for all we know she just looks at him like a friend, she blushes amd stuff but she blushes with Hina a lot too, so dont know, but if she was, it might not be for helping her, Saki and Hachiman went to the same scholarshil tuition place, so they interact there, plus he's good with Keika too, but again Saki's side is never shown really, Yui's is simple cuz her love is based on Hachiman's ideal image in the first place, the one who saved her dog, she's been building her love on that Hachiman, its clear when she calls him her "hero" or "saviour" in her monologues, and how she belives he will always come to save people, pretty obvious that she loves his ideal persona only..
Yukino's the most easiest one, they're pretty similar amd not similar if you get what I mean, I'll just use Hachiman's explanation of his and Yukino's relationship -

"I was someone who was too twisted, and she was someone who was too honest. To other people, we appeared to have a warped shape. They were just so different they were incompatible but to respect to wha warped them, they were likely the same. Everytime those warped parts clashed, our shapes would gradually change, eventually to the point that they couldn't be undone."

So yeah, no other girl in the series has any interest in him romantically, and since half the girls already mentioned have either somebody else they prefer more(Iroha), one which isnt explained in the first place(Saki) and other whose "love" isnt actual love, its questionable really to call it a harem, unless we only count the girls and take nothing else into account..
Oct 4, 2020 3:13 PM

Sep 2009
A_G_N said:
h0ll0wxvict0ry said:

Cant say its because only he's nice or helps them, Iroha likes Hachiman because he's smart to her, and is equally trashy like her, plus he doesnt act like the other dudes too, so that maybe why, plus the genuine request might have made him more interesting to her, Saki's isnt really stated if she likes him or not, for all we know she just looks at him like a friend, she blushes amd stuff but she blushes with Hina a lot too, so dont know, but if she was, it might not be for helping her, Saki and Hachiman went to the same scholarshil tuition place, so they interact there, plus he's good with Keika too, but again Saki's side is never shown really, Yui's is simple cuz her love is based on Hachiman's ideal image in the first place, the one who saved her dog, she's been building her love on that Hachiman, its clear when she calls him her "hero" or "saviour" in her monologues, and how she belives he will always come to save people, pretty obvious that she loves his ideal persona only..
Yukino's the most easiest one, they're pretty similar amd not similar if you get what I mean, I'll just use Hachiman's explanation of his and Yukino's relationship -

"I was someone who was too twisted, and she was someone who was too honest. To other people, we appeared to have a warped shape. They were just so different they were incompatible but to respect to wha warped them, they were likely the same. Everytime those warped parts clashed, our shapes would gradually change, eventually to the point that they couldn't be undone."

So yeah, no other girl in the series has any interest in him romantically, and since half the girls already mentioned have either somebody else they prefer more(Iroha), one which isnt explained in the first place(Saki) and other whose "love" isnt actual love, its questionable really to call it a harem, unless we only count the girls and take nothing else into account..

Hmm I think we need to reexamine your definition of harem. It doesn't matter if theres some superficial reasons the girls like him or if he's not interested in them. Would you say that because Kirito is with Asuna he doesn't have a harem? Obviously he does and continue to add to it every arc.
Oct 4, 2020 8:07 PM
Jun 2020
h0ll0wxvict0ry said:
A_G_N said:

Hmm I think we need to reexamine your definition of harem. It doesn't matter if theres some superficial reasons the girls like him or if he's not interested in them. Would you say that because Kirito is with Asuna he doesn't have a harem? Obviously he does and continue to add to it every arc.
Maybe, its not a typical harem is what I mean..
Oct 4, 2020 9:07 PM

Sep 2009
A_G_N said:
h0ll0wxvict0ry said:

I know you meant Hachiman only tries to go after Yukino which is fine. But this doesn't make the series any less of a harem with all the girls going after him lol. Kirito never tried to go after another girl after getting with Asuna. Despite this SAO is considered THE classic isekai harem series.
h0ll0wxvict0ryOct 4, 2020 9:14 PM
Oct 4, 2020 9:52 PM
Jun 2020
h0ll0wxvict0ry said:
A_G_N said:

I know you meant Hachiman only tries to go after Yukino which is fine. But this doesn't make the series any less of a harem with all the girls going after him lol. Kirito never tried to go after another girl after getting with Asuna. Despite this SAO is considered THE classic isekai harem series.
But they dont go after him, only Yui and Yukino are, liking an person and pursuing them for romantic relationship is different, and only Yui and Yukino have tried that, and Iroha's not chasing after him, she'll accept if he chases her but she's not interested enough to chase after him..

SAO is considered an typical harem because all girls are after him for no reason, and they're even trying to "seduce" him. So thats a classic harem, if Iroha chases after Hachiman, then yes, its a typical harem then..
Oct 4, 2020 9:55 PM

Jul 2020
It felt sudden.
other than than I appreicated the series coming to an end.

Hopefully there is an OVA
Oct 5, 2020 10:45 AM
Mar 2019
I hated it! Weak dialogues wanting to be profound ... but they weren't! and completely meaningless hikigaya and yukino
Oct 5, 2020 1:11 PM

Sep 2009
A_G_N said:
h0ll0wxvict0ry said:

But they dont go after him, only Yui and Yukino are, liking an person and pursuing them for romantic relationship is different, and only Yui and Yukino have tried that, and Iroha's not chasing after him, she'll accept if he chases her but she's not interested enough to chase after him..

SAO is considered an typical harem because all girls are after him for no reason, and they're even trying to "seduce" him. So thats a classic harem, if Iroha chases after Hachiman, then yes, its a typical harem then..

In SAO how does any of the other girls outside of Alice actively try to go after Kirito? They are just sort of there and show interest in him. Honestly in SAO it's at least logical that the girls fall for Kirito as he is the black swordsman and all that. In Oregairu Hachiman is supposed to be just some guy.

And I've been pointing out how Iroha kept trying to get Hachiman to hangout and has been going after him. Thinking about it some more even Saki who you eliminated should be included. After all you claimed she gets red not only when next to Hachiman but also next to Hina as well. Considering Hina is constantly spewing lewd and/or BL related material, the fact that Hachiman's mere prescence have the same effect on Saki should be a dead giveaway.

Honestly it's alright, we can agree to disagree. It's hard to change somebody mind through forum posts, and any undecided that bothers to read through our walls of text can make up their own mind. Personally I'm disappointed by the harem-esque route the series went and I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.
h0ll0wxvict0ryOct 5, 2020 1:31 PM
Oct 5, 2020 1:55 PM

Feb 2018
Honestly, I'm disappointed

You betrayed my loyalty in worshiping you as a character that I really had no simp and fuck society. But in the end you even have a girlfriends while your loyal followers are still alone by masturbating every night.

I hate you Hachiman, ofc ending too.
Oct 6, 2020 3:55 AM
Mar 2019
Syureria said:
Honestly, I'm disappointed

You betrayed my loyalty in worshiping you as a character that I really had no simp and fuck society. But in the end you even have a girlfriends while your loyal followers are still alone by masturbating every night.

I hate you Hachiman, ofc ending too.

hahahah

in the end he became popular in high school ... I didn't enjoy the character development
Oct 6, 2020 3:57 AM

Feb 2018
Lenanei said:

hahahah

in the end he became popular in high school ... I didn't enjoy the character development
Yeah i know that feeling, FK u Hachiman
Oct 6, 2020 2:47 PM

Sep 2012
A_G_N said:

Bro, a lot of people don't consider a show harem if the main character already loves someone and is in a relationship with that person. SAO is exactly that and yet it's always being called a harem. The conclusion to this is that harem all have one thing in common. There's always more than two females that like the MC.
Oct 6, 2020 11:34 PM

Sep 2013
The Anime went downhill to me (haven't read the novels or manga).

1st Season: Interesting Setting, liked the characters, rivalry between the mc and yukinoshita.

2nd Season: The cast slowly became the guys from the other school trying to sound deep and being overly ambiguous, and finally ending with a cliffhanger.

3rd Season: Lets become a couple as an answer to the previous crappy drama and let's finish the club to pretend to move on, but not really at the end we stay the same.

Hiratsuka & Komachi had the best moments in the series.
JulianROct 6, 2020 11:47 PM
Oct 7, 2020 12:32 AM
Aug 2019
If by ending you mean the final season then yeah, it was good, could have adapted better though. About the pairing, unless dense, it was very much clear from the beginning
Oct 7, 2020 2:10 AM

Sep 2015
this shit was extended too much, if season 1 and 2 were boring, this is the worst by far

Oct 7, 2020 2:11 AM
Jun 2020
FlamingMangos said:
A_G_N said:

Bro, a lot of people don't consider a show harem if the main character already loves someone and is in a relationship with that person. SAO is exactly that and yet it's always being called a harem. The conclusion to this is that harem all have one thing in common. There's always more than two females that like the MC.
Yeah... the definition of harem is not even accurate, just means 4 people..
Oct 7, 2020 2:17 AM
Jun 2020
JulianR said:
The Anime went downhill to me (haven't read the novels or manga).

1st Season: Interesting Setting, liked the characters, rivalry between the mc and yukinoshita.

2nd Season: The cast slowly became the guys from the other school trying to sound deep and being overly ambiguous, and finally ending with a cliffhanger.

3rd Season: Lets become a couple as an answer to the previous crappy drama and let's finish the club to pretend to move on, but not really at the end we stay the same.

Hiratsuka & Komachi had the best moments in the series.
Yeah, s1 was the best adapted from the seasons, from s2 onwards it became way too vague than it was in Light novel and went on its own way, the romance and chemistry was present since s1, but s2 kinda cuts the Hachiman and Yukino chemistry for the other girls, s3 is just straight up fanfiction from the light novel, from one of the best light novels out there to typical highschool anime shit in s2 and 3...
Oct 7, 2020 4:49 AM
Jul 2017
I havnt read the novel, have only watched anime, does the anime cover all the aspects? Or should I read novel before watching season 3?
Oct 7, 2020 7:44 AM
Jun 2020
AmeyBindra said:
I havnt read the novel, have only watched anime, does the anime cover all the aspects? Or should I read novel before watching season 3?
S3 strays very hard from light novel, character points are changed, plot is mishandled, entire scenes are changed, except the last two copy pasted episodes from light novel, everything else is basically fanfiction, so yes, read the novel if you can, if you havent from beginning, highly encourage you to do so cuz s2 also has cut some major stuff out, but last three vols should be fine too..
A_G_NOct 7, 2020 7:47 AM
Oct 7, 2020 7:50 AM
Jul 2017
A_G_N said:
AmeyBindra said:
S3 strays very hard from light novel, character points are changed, plot is mishandled, entire scenes are changed, except the last two copy pasted episodes from light novel, everything else is basically fanfiction, so yes, read the novel if you can, if you havent from beginning, highly encourage you to do so cuz s2 also has cut some major stuff out, but last three vols should be fine too..

Then i have to put it on hold will see S3 after reading LN which can only be done after i have some extra free time

Btw thanks for the heads up 😊😊
Oct 7, 2020 12:09 PM

Aug 2014
As someone who re-watched the whole anime from season 1 at release of this season my experience as a whole is 10/10 is is definitely a masterpiece and a classic. Loved the ending and the whole concept introduced. Now if only we get some happy dating extra episodes then it would be the best toppings to end it with.
Loneliness of Innocence

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cchigu - Sep 24, 2020

488 by venbals »»
Apr 5, 11:45 PM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cchigu - Sep 17, 2020

421 by venbals »»
Apr 5, 11:16 PM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

cchigu - Aug 27, 2020

214 by venbals »»
Apr 5, 9:49 PM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cchigu - Aug 13, 2020

189 by venbals »»
Apr 1, 12:33 AM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cchigu - Jul 30, 2020

283 by venbals »»
Mar 31, 11:43 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.