Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 13, 2020 5:53 PM
Feb 2010
It has an above 8 MAL score... Proof that everyone that starts reading end in a high note... But even so it rarely appears in Top 10 lists and doesn't get as many recommendations as other finished series like Dragon Ball, Naruto or Full Metal Alchemist.

Beware of accidental spoilers as I'm haunted by a Netaballerina... I'm assuming that only Magi fans are interesting in reading it but I'm also comparing it with as many shounen as I can think of so really thread with caution...

I dare to say that the way you started Magi is surprisingly funcional[1]... since a lot of casual readers probably dropped Magi main series cause both Aladdin and Alibaba drag a lot before taking a level in badass... They are endearing sure... but definitely not to the taste of the thirsty for action shounen fan... Morgiana should fill this space but most of them dropped the series before her very first kick!

One other thing that I think repelled casual viewers is Aladdin perverted tendencies... I call it hypocrisy since Meliodas of Nanatsu no Taizai fame is pretty much the same (only with his true love but still). I insist that the action is a important differential since Meliodas is thrashing trees and soling his first enemy as soon as the first episode closes...

People really like to claim a rule of three or five episodes but Shounen definitelly can't have this kind of luxury... Hunter x Hunter and One Piece seems like a exception though... Maybe cause they run on Jump[2]?

And here is another strong point of Magi... the world building that goes beyond their protagonist... A fictional world that can run independent of it's protagonist actions always deserve a chance! It was a very good run while it lasted but derailed fast when King David and everything related ensued... The let's save this world and the next and the next was interesting at least...

The last thing I can think is underrated about Magi is the Rukh and the Djinn as a power system... Not only the elemental division is unique the way you can share your powers with your followers as you grow as a king or how the mages of this world are an oddity is all very rich as it is unorthodox...

Although I particularly have a different peeve with the series... It's kinda implicit that the story should present 72 dungeons with 72 djinn but the series ends before less than half of them then are conquered... Alibaba could really go for at least more to djinn to be honest... Until now I still hope for a databook that at least give some fanservice on the unknown djinn...

Até mais ver
mr. Poneis

[1] For context the youtuber I was watching started with Sindbad no Bouken before reading Magi...

[2] Although HxH is from Togashi-sensei of Yuu Yuu Hakusho fame... and One Piece has if not action a really astounding presence in his manga debut... If running on JUMP was worth something Reborn and Gintama wouldn't be underrated as they are... and by underrated I mean that Tsuna enjoy less limelight than Boruto... and Gin-chan is only worth of his value as a comedy relief...

[3] It started in a youtube comment about how little people talk about Magi nowadays, even when people made lists about the best anime of the 2010's little to no one mentioned it... I thought the comment could make a good review but my spoiler tolerance is higher than the MAL guidelines...
mrponeisMay 18, 2020 9:10 PM
May 19, 2020 11:53 PM
Dec 2015
mrponeis said:
It has an above 8 MAL score... Proof that everyone that starts reading end in a high note... But even so it rarely appears in Top 10 lists and doesn't get as many recommendations as other finished series like Dragon Ball, Naruto or Full Metal Alchemist.

Beware of accidental spoilers as I'm haunted by a Netaballerina... I'm assuming that only Magi fans are interesting in reading it but I'm also comparing it with as many shounen as I can think of so really thread with caution...

I dare to say that the way you started Magi is surprisingly funcional[1]... since a lot of casual readers probably dropped Magi main series cause both Aladdin and Alibaba drag a lot before taking a level in badass... They are endearing sure... but definitely not to the taste of the thirsty for action shounen fan... Morgiana should fill this space but most of them dropped the series before her very first kick!

One other thing that I think repelled casual viewers is Aladdin perverted tendencies... I call it hypocrisy since Meliodas of Nanatsu no Taizai fame is pretty much the same (only with his true love but still). I insist that the action is a important differential since Meliodas is thrashing trees and soling his first enemy as soon as the first episode closes...

People really like to claim a rule of three or five episodes but Shounen definitelly can't have this kind of luxury... Hunter x Hunter and One Piece seems like a exception though... Maybe cause they run on Jump[2]?

And here is another strong point of Magi... the world building that goes beyond their protagonist... A fictional world that can run independent of it's protagonist actions always deserve a chance! It was a very good run while it lasted but derailed fast when King David and everything related ensued... The let's save this world and the next and the next was interesting at least...

The last thing I can think is underrated about Magi is the Rukh and the Djinn as a power system... Not only the elemental division is unique the way you can share your powers with your followers as you grow as a king or how the mages of this world are an oddity is all very rich as it is unorthodox...

Although I particularly have a different peeve with the series... It's kinda implicit that the story should present 72 dungeons with 72 djinn but the series ends before less than half of them then are conquered... Alibaba could really go for at least more to djinn to be honest... Until now I still hope for a databook that at least give some fanservice on the unknown djinn...

Até mais ver
mr. Poneis

[1] For context the youtuber I was watching started with Sindbad no Bouken before reading Magi...

[2] Although HxH is from Togashi-sensei of Yuu Yuu Hakusho fame... and One Piece has if not action a really astounding presence in his manga debut... If running on JUMP was worth something Reborn and Gintama wouldn't be underrated as they are... and by underrated I mean that Tsuna enjoy less limelight than Boruto... and Gin-chan is only worth of his value as a comedy relief...

[3] It started in a youtube comment about how little people talk about Magi nowadays, even when people made lists about the best anime of the 2010's little to no one mentioned it... I thought the comment could make a good review but my spoiler tolerance is higher than the MAL guidelines...
magi is sooo underrated , in my opinion magi has the best war arc in anime , but I heard was viewed very good in Japan till some new editor chief came with a new mentality , I heard this is the reason magi and bleach were cancelled , which is a shame as those 2 are in top 3 of my favourite anime😢
May 20, 2020 10:15 AM
Feb 2010
Cristiano456 said:
magi is sooo underrated , in my opinion magi has the best war arc in anime , but I heard was viewed very good in Japan till some new editor chief came with a new mentality , I heard this is the reason magi and bleach were cancelled , which is a shame as those 2 are in top 3 of my favourite anime😢

Sindbad and the Seven Seas Alliance were fighting there... It never was a war, it was a massacre...

It comes to mind that nobody really knows how much agency an editor has over the main story[1]... We know that there is a board that rates what is safe for children or not though...The only mangaka editor relationship is Toriyama-sensei that always spoke well of his editors (except for the last one that was so lazy that let he got away with a lot o things he put in the Buu Arc)...

All the story is translated and well documented in kanzenshuu

All we have from Kubo-sensei and Ohtaka-sensei are reports about burnout symptoms (stress from working week to week non stop)... I think a youtuber called DBZImran even has a video stating that Kubo-sensei got to end Bleach on his terms...

... So people sustain hope that the anime adaptation if some change is to occur to the adaptation the studio will use his input...

... And Ohtaka-sensei seems to be doing well publishing Orient nowadays... Just saw that Sindbad spin-off just ended too...

Keep in mind this doesn't invalidate what you heard but these two still keep there employment bonds (up to the date of this reply anyway)...

Até mais ver
mr. Poneis

[1] I like to believe an editor is the one that doesn't draw well or write well but still likes to work with manga... The most input he/she should be allowed to is repassing fan feedback and answer sincerely when the author asks for an opinion... but I know it is to utopic to be true... And executive meddling exists... mainly in Japan where manga before art is a product...

[1-1] And I know that a lot of them do more than that, providing general support such hiring assistants and procuring research materials...

Ps.: Just noted how my posts aren't really quote friendly...
mrponeisMay 20, 2020 10:18 AM
May 20, 2020 12:28 PM
Dec 2015
mrponeis said:
Cristiano456 said:

Sindbad and the Seven Seas Alliance were fighting there... It never was a war, it was a massacre...

It comes to mind that nobody really knows how much agency an editor has over the main story[1]... We know that there is a board that rates what is safe for children or not though...The only mangaka editor relationship is Toriyama-sensei that always spoke well of his editors (except for the last one that was so lazy that let he got away with a lot o things he put in the Buu Arc)...

All the story is translated and well documented in kanzenshuu

All we have from Kubo-sensei and Ohtaka-sensei are reports about burnout symptoms (stress from working week to week non stop)... I think a youtuber called DBZImran even has a video stating that Kubo-sensei got to end Bleach on his terms...

... So people sustain hope that the anime adaptation if some change is to occur to the adaptation the studio will use his input...

... And Ohtaka-sensei seems to be doing well publishing Orient nowadays... Just saw that Sindbad spin-off just ended too...

Keep in mind this doesn't invalidate what you heard but these two still keep there employment bonds (up to the date of this reply anyway)...

Até mais ver
mr. Poneis

[1] I like to believe an editor is the one that doesn't draw well or write well but still likes to work with manga... The most input he/she should be allowed to is repassing fan feedback and answer sincerely when the author asks for an opinion... but I know it is to utopic to be true... And executive meddling exists... mainly in Japan where manga before art is a product...

[1-1] And I know that a lot of them do more than that, providing general support such hiring assistants and procuring research materials...

Ps.: Just noted how my posts aren't really quote friendly...
https://youtu.be/J2fkcg1QQiw. Haha what do you mean quote friendly?
May 20, 2020 2:38 PM
Feb 2010
Cristiano456 said:

Did you noticed amount of redundance everytime a reply of mine get quoted? In fact I phrased wrong... my posts and replies aren't reader friendly...

Até mais ver
mr. Poneis
May 20, 2020 2:58 PM
Dec 2015
mrponeis said:
Cristiano456 said:

Did you noticed amount of redundance everytime a reply of mine get quoted? In fact I phrased wrong... my posts and replies aren't reader friendly...

Até mais ver
mr. Poneis
Haha ok and yeah your post is not reader friendly but I tried my best to read everything and in special to understand everything 😂😂
May 20, 2020 3:02 PM
Feb 2010
Cristiano456 said:
Haha ok and yeah your post is not reader friendly but I tried my best to read everything and in special to understand everything 😂😂

And to it sure you have my thanks...
Jul 6, 2020 3:43 AM

Oct 2010
Currently reading it and I find it absolutely incredible. But reading this thread and hearing some bad news about an abrupt ending. I wonder if it's worse than bleach.
Jul 6, 2020 4:17 AM

Nov 2011
Underrated ? Probably. But the same thing also happen to other great shonen manga like Pandora Hearts. I like the recognition that FMA and HXH get, but there is no way Pandora Hearts and Magi are worse than the likes of Naruto or MHA.
With times, you will get used with the fact that the best series are rarely really popular. Stuff like Top 10 list from a random website are more of popularity contest than anything else.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Apr 16, 2022 12:04 AM

Mar 2021
I haven't watched it yet, but I'm glad an anime that draws so much inspiration from the Middle East is as popular as it is :D
Aug 16, 2022 2:19 AM
Jan 2020
Nope.
But the wtf ending make it worse than being underrated.
After watching Sinbad anime i feel like the main anime shouldn't get anymore continuation and stay like that unless there's a reboot and changes.
Mehehehee
Dec 16, 2022 1:56 PM

Feb 2010
Underrated in the way that many fans dropped it like a hot potato as soon as it was over. So many people say they "miss Magi" and speak as if the fandom is dead. It's not.
Feb 3, 2023 12:25 AM
Feb 2021
Yeah it's fun to read the characters, world build , metal vessels, if the last arc wasn't rushed it will 10 in my opinion, anyway it's 9 for me , read the prequel to enjoy it to the fullest
Mar 17, 2023 9:30 PM
Jan 2021
Nah it's overrated and disappointing

More topics from this board

Poll: » Magi Chapter 21 Discussion

KuroDubZero - Jul 26, 2011

9 by Marloges »»
Yesterday, 3:55 PM

Poll: » Magi Chapter 20 Discussion

KuroDubZero - Jul 15, 2011

9 by Marloges »»
Yesterday, 3:45 PM

Poll: » Magi Chapter 19 Discussion

KuroDubZero - Jul 13, 2011

8 by Marloges »»
Yesterday, 3:35 PM

Poll: » Magi Chapter 18 Discussion

9 by Marloges »»
Yesterday, 3:27 PM

Poll: » Magi Chapter 17 Discussion

11 by Marloges »»
Yesterday, 3:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.