Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 12, 2020 6:13 PM

Oct 2009
As I'm rewatching and continuing the series, I've reached the 12th episode and for some reason, it's giving me flashes of "Neon Genesis Evangelion" only GoaGaiGar feels more upbeat and has an interesting cast of characters.

They seem to be the opposite of one another if you try to analyse the two shows.

I do feel kinda mixed onto why Neon Genesis Evangelion catch on whereas GoaGaiGer is as good in many ways that didn't.

If anyone watched both shows, do any see the similarities and the opposites of both shows?
Apr 19, 2021 11:26 AM
May 2020
I know what you mean. GaoGaiGar definitely seems like a response to Eva in some ways. Eva is my favorite anime of all time and seeing things like the AT field-esque shield attacks, the mix of real and super robot conventions, etc is really interesting to me. (I think both shows are great, btw) I think a lot of it is the length, if you count the 8 epsode sequel GaoGaiGar is twice as long as Eva even with End Of Evangelion included. Also GaoGaiGar is kind of apparently a kids’ show whereas Eva appeals to a lot of the “anti-cartoon” taste a lot of anime fans in the west seem to have. I love GaoGaiGar because of the over the top ness, but that’s a huge turn off for a lot of people.
Nov 1, 2021 3:52 AM

Nov 2013
Exactly because they are the opposite - Evangelion as *the* deconstruction just hits different and interests even people that aren't fan of mecha, while GaoGaiGar returns to roots with episodical show that feels more like saturday morning cartoon - not bad by itself, but it might not interest even mecha fans and even less so the general audience.
You all need to watch Nami.

Feb 23, 9:21 PM
Aug 2022
https://youtu.be/LGCjj88g2jc?si=B8C4VvNhss76NLEF
This video is a good analysis on gaogaigar and does talk about a few factors that hindered gaogaigar from getting a popular western following for a while

More topics from this board

Poll: » GaoGaiGar Episode 49 Discussion

willag - Jun 25, 2011

11 by SlammyHammy »»
Oct 1, 2023 8:41 PM

Poll: » GaoGaiGar Episode 48 Discussion

willag - Jun 25, 2011

4 by SlammyHammy »»
Oct 1, 2023 8:27 PM

Poll: » GaoGaiGar Episode 47 Discussion

willag - Jun 25, 2011

6 by SlammyHammy »»
Oct 1, 2023 8:21 PM

Poll: » GaoGaiGar Episode 46 Discussion

willag - Jun 25, 2011

4 by SlammyHammy »»
Oct 1, 2023 8:16 PM

Poll: » GaoGaiGar Episode 45 Discussion

willag - Jun 25, 2011

6 by SlammyHammy »»
Sep 30, 2023 6:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.