Forum Settings
Forums

What, in your opinion, are some of the "least anime" or anime-esque anime and what makes you say so?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 10, 2019 6:21 PM

Sep 2018

Ghibli films
These do not have fanservice. They are stories that seem to not be focused on escapism which is usually found in most anime.

One Punch Man
I think a lot of non-anime viewers can understand the humor of this show after experiencing other shounen type comic super heroes which is mainstream in the west.
Dec 10, 2019 6:40 PM

Oct 2016
Excel Saga. It's just... is there anything more meta?
Dec 10, 2019 6:57 PM

May 2019
Many short animated films aren't very stereotypically "anime-esque.".

Dec 10, 2019 7:02 PM

Jun 2014
Monster, Baccano, and Big O are the big 3 that come to mind immediately.
TEN COMMANDMENTS:
1) If Evangelion and Psycho-Pass are his only 10s, he probably also worships Tool and smells like cheesy puffs 2) Freudian psychosis =/= good writing 3) Moe blob art style is only ok in pure slice-of-life comedy 4) It's ok to enjoy shounen. Having fun is allowed 5) It is not ok to enjoy isekai (jk, it is, I just fucking hate it) 6) Creator breakdown =/= good writing 7) A story does not have to be wrapped up with a bow. Life is messy, why would a good story need to be tidy? 8) InuYasha is proto-Twilight 9) Ecchi CAN be good, but is almost always an abomination 10) If God is real, They allowed Super Kid to happen, so fuck Them
Dec 10, 2019 9:13 PM

Sep 2018
although i can easily say an anime that just has a different art style that doesn’t “look like anime”, but honestly they can still feel japanese. but black lagoon really felt american. i honestly forgot i was watching an anime until a maid showed up.
panty and stocking too, especially because it has a more “american” looking style you could say.

maybe it’s because both of them have black characters that are somewhat significant? who knows
Dec 10, 2019 9:20 PM
May 2014
Maybe Lupin the Third (2015)? When I watch it, its very much like I'm watching a Saturday morning western cartoon rather than an anime.
Dec 10, 2019 10:49 PM

Jan 2019
It sounds like you're asking which animes aren't Cliche, Generic, and relies on tropes. This is mostly Animes that don't Focus on Super Powers or Young Girls.

But in your title you're saying "Least Anime" as in, Not Anime but similar or Anime but doesn't feel like it... (confusing because its either anime or not)

Zankyou no Terror. Realistic. No Superpowers. Just Good-ole Outsmarting the enemy.

Anything from Ghost in Shell. Some of the best Anime out there.
Dec 11, 2019 1:49 AM

Feb 2014
Space Dandy doesn't look or feel like a "typical" anime. The character designs, the vivid and high contrast color palette, and the story itself (which reminds me a lot of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Futurama), makes it look like an American cartoon (like the 2002 He-man, Men in Black: TAS, and Young Justice).

Satoshi Kon movies (and Paranoia Agent). Realistic character designs, cinematic and original direction and cinematography style with none of the typical anime techniques and cliches. And the stories themselves are highly original.

Msaaki Yuasa works are also pretty distinct, especially in terms of visuals.
Dec 12, 2019 7:25 AM
Jul 2018
Anything that is neither comedic nor is set in Japan. For example Monster (I highly recommend it)
Dec 15, 2019 8:59 AM
Aug 2016
Panty and Stocking comes to mind, there are some anime-esque things in there but it's played up for jokes so don't think those count
Dec 25, 2019 2:51 PM
Dec 2019
LotGH, Berserk, Monster and Texhnolyze.
Dec 25, 2019 4:19 PM

Apr 2014
ghibli films and tezuka stuff usually sttract people for being rather disney-esque more than anime-esque
Sep 27, 2021 11:24 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
rohan121 said:
Ghibli films
These do not have fanservice. They are stories that seem to not be focused on escapism which is usually found in most anime.
RedPlaty said:
ghibli films and tezuka stuff usually sttract people for being rather disney-esque more than anime-esque
Agreed. Ghibli films do have widespread appeal which is not what OP was looking for, but I'd say their lack of typical anime conventions are what make them that appealing. If those movies were a lot more "animesque", then the studio sure wouldn't be as well received outside of the anime community as they are even to this day. Hell, even my mom sometimes doesn't mind if I put something like My Neighbor Totoro or Ponyo on the TV, and she obviously doesn't know a thing about anime outside of Totoro or Sailor Moon (I and a couple of family members grew up with that show so of course she'd recognize it haha).
Sep 27, 2021 1:53 PM
Mar 2021
I started watching Moribito, and it's really something different. It has a very different vibe from almost anything else I've watched, not just in terms of being set in medieval fantasy Asia but in terms of a respect and nuance towards characters, and nobody easily falling into simple tropes. damn I need to pick that one back up.

I would also say ACCA doesn't really feel like anime in the same sense, it's possibly one of the most "adult" anime I've ever seen, and not in the edgy sense, but in the sense that it's about politics and economics, and it doesn't resort to cheap melodrama, and respects its audience enough to let them read between the lines.

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya is technically an anime in being Japanese animation, but it has a classic Japanese art style and is heavily rooted in folklore instead of tropes.

Spice and Wolf to me doesn't feel very anime, it really almost feels like it could have been made in the West, except that it's too still and calm. Maybe more something the French or Germans could have done.

Soul Eater is probably one of the most Western-influenced shonen. granted it does have two ninja-ish major characters, but they kinda almost feel like a Western parody of Japanese characters. despite...being anime characters. well, kinda everyone comes off as a funny caricture, which is part of that show's over the top Halloween-shonen aesthetic.
Sep 27, 2021 4:50 PM

Jun 2015
Literally shit based off already existing foreign franchises like starwars marvel dc.
Sep 27, 2021 5:24 PM
Jul 2018
Black Lagoon, Jormungand, Michiko to Hatchin, the brain fucker ones (Haibane Renmei, Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze, Ergo Proxy, Shinsekai Yori), the unconventional ones (Kuuchuu Buranko, Niea_7), and The Boondocks (even though thats not an anime)
Sep 27, 2021 5:26 PM

Oct 2020
Texhnolyze, LOGH, Monster, Ergo Proxy
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

42 by APolygons2 »»
18 seconds ago

» New anime fans have an extreme inferiority complex and huge beef with older fans

EastIndiaCompany - 6 minutes ago

2 by Serafos »»
3 minutes ago

» Is there any specific setting or theme you’re biased to

nishant0 - 5 minutes ago

2 by Zimmu »»
3 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 2 hours ago

13 by Lucifrost »»
5 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Apr 25

72 by Toooooooooohru »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.