Forum Settings
Forums

How do you think the MAL rating system should be fixed??

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 5, 2019 9:21 AM
Sep 2018
I know it's been a hot topic to talk about. But my question is does MAL staff really care?
I don't think so. Chihayafuru 3 really got SERIOUSLY bad treatment. Yet one mal staff justified one fan's suggestion as wrong doing. The fan suggested every true fan should give 9/10 at least until the end of the season. As that can uplift the total score. But that social media staff, don't remember the name, replied saying it's wrong to do. While tons of fake accounts killed Chihayafuru 3 from 8.5 to 7.02 score. Well I didn't watch any of this franchise anime, but every anime can not be like Nanatsu no Taizai 3?

So my question to MAL staffs, are you listening the voices? True anime fan give treatment that one anime really deserves.
So, wake up. It's already been a long time. MAL may not lose it's appeal, but future holds many things if you don't want to change.
Episode by episode scoring is really IN NEED!!
Join the Last Parade for your anime Salvation
Dec 5, 2019 12:01 PM

Apr 2019
nyugvo6 said:
inim said:
No it isn't easy and perfect, it makes the problem worse. Now along with the one score I want to manipulate, I have to fake 99 others to make it count. The collateral damage is even bigger than the previous situation.
would you though? it sounds like a pain in the ass.
If they don't use a bot, some pain. But again there is collateral damage to honest users. Watching 100 anime is a lot, you basically withhold voting rights for easily a year and more. The question is if that doesn't encourage faking entries just as well, as honest yet impatient users just want to push their favorites. And if the malevolent party has bot technology, your suggestion doesn't work at all anyway. 1 click costs no more effort than a 1000 with a bot. Given the fact that things like open source scraper libraries and soon (again) an official API exist, probably the more common case.

Long story short, I think adding a minimum required anime count as a barrier for voting rights will cause more damage than good.
inimDec 5, 2019 1:53 PM

Dec 5, 2019 4:37 PM
Jul 2018
Yudina said:
Since most episodes are divided by an opening segment, the OP, the first half, commercial break, and then a second half followed by the ED, and sometimes a closing segment, I think we should rate every single one of those segments individually.

Why stop at only these segments? We could partition each episode even further, into segments of length X (where X refers to a length of time up to the duration of the episode). Supposing an episode of a particular show is 24 minutes and a value of 1 second for X, then each episode would now require a whopping 1,440 individual ratings. And if the particular show is 24 episodes long, then that's a total of 34,560 ratings! This would surely throw a wrench in things for those god damn vote manipulators.
Dec 5, 2019 4:54 PM
Jul 2018
Not really, but the one that concerned me a bit is lack the option of rating some entry with a zero.
Dec 6, 2019 7:24 AM

Jul 2013
nanashi796 said:
allowing ratings only when an anime is finished,or giving the ability to rate only some time after you create an account and use mal.

This definitely! And probably add a 0 rating as well.

Dec 8, 2019 8:08 PM

Apr 2015
Let people choose their own rating scale (stars, points including decimals). Require all members to be active for two weeks (not just had their account for two weeks, but logged in on 14 separate days) before their ratings are counted in the average (which should also be displayed in whatever the user prefers, stars or points).
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Dec 8, 2019 8:12 PM

Nov 2019
scoring is always subjective no matter how much people justifies it biases will always be there

id say just remove all the TOP lists and just merge MOST POPULAR and MOST FAVORITE coz its the same thing
Dec 8, 2019 8:15 PM

Oct 2013
That sounds like a pain in the ass and at that point I wouldn't even bother rating things anymore. The rating system doesn't even need to be fixed. If everyone used it as intended it would work just fine and I might be more inclined to that an animes rating more seriously.
Dec 8, 2019 8:24 PM

Aug 2017
i would like to have the decimal system, for a lot of entries i want to give a .5 rate but i am obligated to give a 6 or 7. Just to put a ".5" rate will help a lot
Dec 8, 2019 8:30 PM

Aug 2018
The rate system isn't the problem, people is the problem. Fking fanboys and salty bitches with no life are the problem.
Dec 8, 2019 8:53 PM

Mar 2016
I think it's fine as it is. I especially don't agree with people who think we need decimal ratings. A 10-point scale is already twice as much as a 5-point scale. Going further is really not necessary. And rating each episode? That'd be extremely meticulous and would definitely not make any sort of improvement to the site.
"Wonder is always difficult until you forgive whoever destroyed your love of surprises"  Edmond Manning

Dec 8, 2019 9:05 PM

Nov 2007
By introducing new anime in the Top 50 page? Duh.

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 8, 2019 9:19 PM

May 2014
Just adjust all the scores so they're equal to mine and they'll be fixed.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - 2 hours ago

10 by Ten »»
17 seconds ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Today

16 by billybub »»
48 seconds ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

55 by Fischer77 »»
15 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

239 by TitanOfPlasma »»
25 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

60 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.