Forum Settings
Forums

Is open ending is the worst kind of ending for harem/romance series?

New
Sep 30, 2019 9:03 AM

Dec 2016
Like the reason the readers read stuff like harem is to find out who MC gonna end up with. If a series end with no closer than it just betray the readers expectation and people investment in the series. This go for any series that have a romantic subplot, we the reader expect the subplot to be resolve, especially romantic one since it tie closely to the characters, so if it open ended, it make the story seem incomplete.
Sep 30, 2019 10:21 AM

Sep 2019
Part of why these inconclusive endings are so prevalent is because these shorter romance/harem series are generally only adapting an incomplete chunk of their source material, which itself might actually have a legitimate ending and romantic resolution. Some of these adaptations hold out hope for further seasons and therefore refrain from ending it conclusively so as to leave that door open in the future, only to never get the continuations they'd been hoping for and leaving their 1-cour series with an incredibly frustrating non-ending. Nature of the beast, unfortunately.

Of course, there are certainly series that are seen to completion and still don't just commit to a damn pairing, leaving things open-ended in the mind of the reader/viewer as if that's what virtually anyone reading a romance story actually wants. Cherish those that do give proper, romantically-resolved conclusions, as they knew good and well they'd be spitting in the face of likely legions of ardent shipping fans and still prioritized telling a complete story.
Sep 30, 2019 5:57 PM

Jan 2014
Yep. I don't really care if the MC ends up with either one or all of them or maybe even reject all of them, there must be a conclusion to the story. I hate when they just teases "ooooh, he might have LIKED this girl now" and then just ends it on the same note as chapter 1 anyway
"This is boring...I'm bored..."
Sep 30, 2019 5:58 PM

Jan 2016
Yep, I hate those harem with 3405209573 choices and they're like "Oh I can't choose teehee <3" and then it ends.

Even regular romance where its like do then end up together or not? when there is only one choice is terrible. I need a conclusion in romances.
Oct 10, 2019 5:27 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
Yeah I hate that shit these authors never have the balls to pick a love interest at the end it ruins the entire genre.

Are people really going to be that upset if you don't pick their favorite? Shit even if that were the case just release some alternate endings jeez.
Oct 11, 2019 12:10 PM
Jul 2018
Open endings are the worst! I definitely need closure. It makes the whole romance pointless if you don't get to see it fulfilled.
Oct 12, 2019 10:26 PM
Jul 2018
Fortunately harem romance shows don't really take much effort so you can easily think of a fanfiction closure that fulfills your desire and doesn't piss you off.
Oct 15, 2019 2:35 PM

Dec 2012
Open endings are one of the worst type of endings for...anything actually. It's a seriously disappointing way to conclude something that just says to me that the author is lazy, indecisive and can't commit to one idea to end it, or just a pretentious douche.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Oct 15, 2019 2:56 PM
Jul 2018
Open endings are one of the worst things in general, obviously there are some exceptions (some SoL/Comedy series) but not giving a conclusion to your story is incomprehensible
Oct 16, 2019 12:51 PM

Apr 2010
In animes it's half a trouble, as you know it's not the full story. But in manga... they don't have to marry and have kids, but really, get to conclusive ending.

Oct 19, 2019 11:15 AM

Feb 2019
Open endings are bad most of the time. It's a great way to waste viewer's/reader's time.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

378 by Hexcellion »»
5 hours ago

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
7 hours ago

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

21 by nishant0 »»
7 hours ago

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

13 by bucciest »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » What is your favorite shounen arc?

HM0710 - Sep 6, 2021

17 by Rhaelynne »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.