Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 7, 2019 1:21 PM
Aug 2018
For those who are unaware, there are several fan theories which assume that Lelouch has gained immortality at the end of the show and thus survived his death. But is this theory what actually happened or is it tinfoil?
Therefore a compilation of all the information we have has been made: all the official statements, from old interviews to very recent tweets, the official guide book, live commentaries, the new epilogue from the official ZR movie blu-ray, etc.
Additionally, code theory's points have been scrutinized to see how they hold up against these official statements and against the anime itself.

The resulting text is quite large, as there is a lot of official information about Lelouch's fate, and code theory has a lot of various points, and the compilation text is as thorough and complete as possible.
The text is, however, well worth reading for all Code Geass fans.
You can find the full text here: Code Geass Community Information Database.

For those who want a TLDR:
- Lelouch has been officially confirmed dead many, many times
- There have been interviews where the creators have explicitly denied some key points of code theory.
- Code theory is contradicted by the anime itself as it violates the lore of the anime.
I do, however, strongly recommend reading the full text, as it has all the argumentation and sources.

I will highlight one example from the text, the tweets by the creators:
- "Before I started writing the story of a person called Lelouch, I confirmed with Taniguchi-director something. That thing was that THE END OF LELOUCH WILL BE DEATH."
- "At least he is aware of his sins and pays for them with HIS DEATH."
- "This man called Lelouch will pay for his sins by HIS DEATH. The story follows him till he finally make this decision."
- "Probably this Lelouch we see in the first episode of the series wouldn't CHOOSE DEATH. He would try something to avoid it. He couldn't DIE, for Nunnally as well. But we see him changed in the last episode."

You can find these tweets on his twitter
A screenshot of the tweets
The translation of the tweets

And finally, regarding the sequel which is confirmed to follow the new movies and not the original series: it is true that the sequel is an AU, however it is important to note that Lelouch's fate is unaltered in the movies, Zero requiem still happens and he still dies, the changes in the movies are not directly related to Lelouch himself,and thus these statements about R2's ending are still very much relevant.
LelouchviBritMERMay 20, 2019 3:58 PM
May 7, 2019 1:34 PM
Jul 2018
clarification:

fukkatsu is a sequel to oudou, NOT R2.
May 7, 2019 1:48 PM
Aug 2018
changelog said:
clarification:

Exactly. I did write that in the last paragraph
May 7, 2019 1:52 PM
Jul 2018
LelouchviBritMER said:
changelog said:
clarification:

Exactly. I did write that in the last paragraph

yeh i inferred that it just wasn't super clear

thanks for writing this up btw.

just watched fukkatsu yesterday.

it was... underwhelming.
May 7, 2019 2:33 PM

Jun 2015
nop lelouch is alive.

you're just ignorant
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
May 7, 2019 2:39 PM
Aug 2018
Takamura-sama said:
nop lelouch is alive.

you're just ignorant

LOL, you do know you're calling the anime creators ignorant?
The people who made the anime and who time and again repeated that Lelouch was truly dead in R2, they are the one you're calling ignorant because their words are the ones I'm quoting here.
Clearly you are the ignorant one and highly conceived if you believe you know a show better than the people who made it.
May 8, 2019 3:10 PM
Aug 2018
AmMar-Sama said:
Death of the Author

Death of the author doesn't allow anyone to just make shit up.
You can't pretend that Luke Skywalker is not a jedi and that everyone in the Star Wars universe is just playing along with him because they feel sorry for him.
Death of the author still requires your interpretation to be consistent with the established lore.
And the code geass lore very firmly forbids Lelouch getting a code.
It's not just the show staff saying this, it's the anime itself.
May 8, 2019 4:05 PM
Aug 2018
AmMar-Sama said:
LelouchviBritMER said:

Death of the author doesn't allow anyone to just make shit up.
You can't pretend that Luke Skywalker is not a jedi and that everyone in the Star Wars universe is just playing along with him because they feel sorry for him.
Death of the author still requires your interpretation to be consistent with the established lore.

I know.
There are quite a few internally consistent theories, actually. Just look around.

There aren't.
All of them are based on flagrant misrepresentation of scenes and are contradicted by the anime itself.
ALL of those are scrutinized by the Code Geass Community Information Database and found in contradiction with the lore of the anime.
At best theories needed unfounded assumptions too add exceptions to the established lore. Exceptions which are not supported by the lore itself, and thus not canon.

You really should read the database

AmMar-Sama said:

And the code geass lore very firmly forbids Lelouch getting a code.
It's not just the show staff saying this, it's the anime itself.

How so?

This is also covered by the database.
The anime hammers on the fact that everyone who gets a code loses the geass, and Lelouch never lost his geass. ALL examples of code transfer confirm this, no exceptions. And Charles himself explicitly confirms this as well when he says that he traded in his geass for the code.
The idea that there may be exceptions for this rule is totally unsupported by the anime. It is pure fantasy and thus not canon.
Therefore, in canon, Lelouch simply cannot have the code because the anime itself forbids it.
Death of the author cannot be invoked to create fantasies which are in direct contradiction with the lore, and thus code theory is utterly wrong. Contradicted by the anime itself.

And, please, read the database before responding. There's a 99.99% chance that what you're going to say has already been covered in there.
May 8, 2019 4:54 PM
Aug 2018
AmMar-Sama said:

In the show, we've only seen characters get the code from the same people they received the geass from. Lelouch's case is different (because he got the geass from C2 and stole the code from Charles), so I'm not sure if you can apply the same rules to him. That's the counterargument I came across when skimming through the forums, and it seems valid and consistent to me.

yes, that's the classic argument, but that's a fallacy.
If a show establishes a rule (e.g. everyone loses the geass when they get a code) and never ever gives the slightest hint that there may be exceptions or extra conditions to this, no dialogues, no inner monologues, no characters having doubts or pondering, no visual cues, nothing at all, then you can be damn sure that whatever "exception" a fan wants to add to the rules is not canon.
This is no small matter as it completely changes the meaning of the ending. If we were meant to understand that there was an exception, a possibility, then the show makers would have given us some kind of clue, but they never did.
Instead they showed us a bunch of examples without exceptions and a very knowledgeable character explicitly confirming the rule.

Imagine the following: the show never gave us the example of what happens when a purple eyed schoolboy gets the code. Are we therefore supposed to believe that being a purple eyed schoolboy is somehow an exception to the strongly established rules? Of course not! And yet this is the exact argument code theorists are making.
There are literally an infinite number of possibilities which were never addressed, and precisely because they were never addressed we can be sure that they don't matter at all.
Such things belong in headcanons, but they are not part of canon.

And to add to that, let's suppose that the source of geass and the code being different does play a role. Ok, what then? What is the result? the show also doesn't address what DOES happen in that case. Does the recipient change gender? Does he become a Disney character? There's an infinite number of things one can make up. But code theorists chose exactly what they wanted to fit their theory.
So that entire argument is an unsupported assumption for an exception, with an unsupported, conveniently chosen new rule imposed by that exception. Doesn't sound very legit when you think about it, does it?

AmMar-Sama said:

If this point is discussed in the database feel free to post what they said here; that might encourage me to go read the rest. I can't be bothered right now tbh.

it does mention it, indeed.
It's "Part 2.3: geass+code theory" and can be found on this page
May 10, 2019 7:57 PM

Mar 2017
I’m just going to point out that when someone inherits a code, the anime makes it clear that the bearer must die before the code is properly activated. In R2 ep 15 the anime by all accounts makes it seem like Lelouch is able to successfully use Geass on Charles (via Charles growling and the animation making it seem like the geass command went through) to make him kill himself eventhough he had successfully stolen V2’s code.

It’s also strongly suggested that CC died prior to her code activating since the first time she wakes up as an immortal, we see her covered in several wounds. I guess there could be a non-trivial possibility that death isn’t needed for a code’s activation, but based on everything the anime has shown, it would be fair to conclude that death is a necessity for code to activate.

SSj97May 10, 2019 8:03 PM
The right to violate the rights of the people belong only to the people themselves!
May 10, 2019 8:21 PM
Aug 2018
SSj97 said:
I’m just going to point out that when someone inherits a code, the anime makes it clear that the bearer must die before the code is properly activated.

That is, in fact, not true and even denied by the anime creators themselves.
They explained that codes do not need activation by explaining that Charles never died in episode 15, that he was only pretending, that he was already immune to geass and immortal BEFORE he shot himself, i.e. he already had an "active code" before he fired, and thus codes do not require activation and thus codes are never not active.

In a live commentary the anime creators said: 「これギアス掛かってないのに死んだふりするんだよ」「息子を驚かせようと」「ルルーシュくんかわいそう」「これ一番ショックなタイミング計ってるよね」「絶対笑いこらえてるよ」って色々言われてて笑った。
"He isn't geassed, just pretends he dies!" " He tries to surprise his son!" "Poor Lelouch" "He tries to choose the most shocking timing, doesn't he" "I'm sure he tries hard not to laugh"

This is documented in the Code Geass Community Information Database which has all the official statements and debunks myths like "code activation".
May 10, 2019 8:56 PM

Mar 2017
LelouchviBritMER said:
SSj97 said:
I’m just going to point out that when someone inherits a code, the anime makes it clear that the bearer must die before the code is properly activated.

That is, in fact, not true and even denied by the anime creators themselves.
They explained that codes do not need activation by explaining that Charles never died in episode 15, that he was only pretending, that he was already immune to geass and immortal BEFORE he shot himself, i.e. he already had an "active code" before he fired, and thus codes do not require activation and thus codes are never not active.

In a live commentary the anime creators said: 「これギアス掛かってないのに死んだふりするんだよ」「息子を驚かせようと」「ルルーシュくんかわいそう」「これ一番ショックなタイミング計ってるよね」「絶対笑いこらえてるよ」って色々言われてて笑った。
"He isn't geassed, just pretends he dies!" " He tries to surprise his son!" "Poor Lelouch" "He tries to choose the most shocking timing, doesn't he" "I'm sure he tries hard not to laugh"

This is documented in the Code Geass Community Information Database which has all the official statements and debunks myths like "code activation".

It honestly seems like they initially intended for it to be open ended and then later on well after the show had ended decided to retroactively provide all of these ‘canon interpretations’ in order to go more firmly on the ‘he’s dead side’. You can’t deny that the anime itself leaves open the interpretation that Lelouch could be alive else there would never have been years worth of ferocious debate on it (unless your stance is everyone on the Lelouch is alive side are deluded morons with a massive confirmation bias who can’t accept that the mc had died permanently). If it was always meant to be unequivocally clear that he stayed dead and didn’t inherit a code, they could have conveyed that in a far clearer fashion than they did.

You made a hypothetical example like people suddenly saying ‘Luke could possibly not really be a jedi’ as a counterpoint to the claim that fans can just interpret whatever they want about a given character or franchise; however, it’s worth noting that a large section of the CG audience from watching the show came to the conclusion that Lelouch was alive at the end whereas the same can’t be said for the other example.

At the end of the day anime is a piece of art (literally speaking it’s art in motion) and as such it can be subject to multiple distinct interpretations and also as with art some of those interpretations needn’t coincide with the author’s own views. Purely based on what is shown in the anime (not any post show statements), it would be feasible to interpret the scene in r2 ep 15 both as charles dying and then getting revived upon which the code activates or Charles just massively trolling. Again based SOLELY on the anime itself, it’s impossible to say 1 way or the other especially since the animation made it seem like Lelouch’s geass order went through. In addition the C.C example is also compatible with either line of thinking. Those wounds strongly indicate she experienced death, but at the same time it doesn’t confirm that she did (though then it begs the question why they were even inflicted on her; maybe the nun really was just that crazy from her immortal hell). Yes when given 2 contrasting interpretations, you accept the interpretation with the higher probability of being true, but I don’t see any way to argue (based only on what is shown in the anime) that the interpretation that death isn’t required for code activation is the interpretation with higher probability of being true.

I actually think it makes more thematic sense for him to stay dead and I’m incredibly thankful that the movie series takes place in an au, but I do take issue with the ‘he’s dead’ side in this debate claiming that the other side has no basis for their interpretation. Yes there are limits to what can be interpreted, but at the same time it isn’t impossible for there to be contradictory interpretations both of which are compatible with what has been observed in the show.
SSj97May 10, 2019 9:00 PM
The right to violate the rights of the people belong only to the people themselves!
May 10, 2019 9:58 PM
Aug 2018
SSj97 said:

It honestly seems like they initially intended for it to be open ended and then later on well after the show had ended decided to retroactively provide all of these ‘canon interpretations’ in order to go more firmly on the ‘he’s dead side’.

That is actually not what happened.
We know this thanks to the 10 years anniversary event, the "Geass Memories" series where show staff tweeted about how they made the show 10 years earlier.
in one of those tweets it is said by Okouchi:
"Before I started writing the story of a person called Lelouch, I confirmed with Taniguchi-director something. That thing was that the end of Lelouch will be death."

So we do know that the decision to kill off Lelouch was taken before they even started writing the show.

SSj97 said:

You can’t deny that the anime itself leaves open the interpretation that Lelouch could be alive

The community has dissected all those "clues" and found that none of them hold true.
All of them were either misrepresentations of what happened in the anime (e.g. Nunnally saw NO visions or memories), fake and fabricated (such as that fake video showing Lelouch's face as the cart driver), or were just assumptions which didn't have a basis in the anime (e.g. Lelouch being special and an exception to the rules of codes and geass, allowing him to keep his geass).

If you're interested in the analysis, I direct you to the same place as before. The Code Geass Community Information Database.

SSj97 said:

else there would never have been years worth of ferocious debate on it

There are still people debating the earth is flat, despite the enormous amount of proof that it isn't.
People debating things doesn't mean there is any doubt about the subject.

SSj97 said:
If it was always meant to be unequivocally clear that he stayed dead and didn’t inherit a code, they could have conveyed that in a far clearer fashion than they did.

How?
I'm not being sarcastic or so, my question is genuine.
The show made it impossible for Lelouch to have a code, because that would have violated the rules the anime has previously established. So without code he gets stabbed on screen and bleeds out on screen. We literally see him die.
I don't know what more they could have done.
Adding, for example, a funeral wouldn't have given more clarity because then code theorists would simply say there's no real body in the coffin, and the funeral was part of the deception.

SSj97 said:
however, it’s worth noting that a large section of the CG audience from watching the show came to the conclusion that Lelouch was alive at the end whereas the same can’t be said for the other example.

But that doesn't add validity to their claim.
Many people even just accepted that he was alive because others were saying it. There were a few code theory videos which went viral. Add the fake cart driver video and the emotional need of people who want to think of him alive and you have the perfect recipe for successfully spreading an idea.

And while we're talking numbers (though the numbers have no truth value), nowadays the amount of people who still believe he got a code are a small minority.
The 2009 epilogue which had C.C. explicitly say that Lelouch was dead and that she mourns his death, and the many interviews which confirmed him to be dead started spreading slowly but steadily.

SSj97 said:

At the end of the day anime is a piece of art (literally speaking it’s art in motion) and as such it can be subject to multiple distinct interpretations

But that is not a carte blanche, it's not a pass to do whatever.
Interpretations still need to be consistent with the presented material, and the show makes it impossible for Lelouch to have a code.
Disregarding all the official statements for now, code theory is still not possible because the anime was very clear they people who get the code lose the geass. they even had Charles explicitly confirm that. Lelouch never lost his geass, so he couldn't have gotten the code.
There's absolutely zero support in the anime for "exceptions" to this established rule. And any theory which adds additional rules to allow for exceptions are no longer talking about canon, precisely because there is zero support in the show for such fantasies. they are pure headcanon and no longer "the true story"

SSj97 said:
Purely based on what is shown in the anime (not any post show statements), it would be feasible to interpret the scene in r2 ep 15 both as charles dying

Even that would be highly problematic, since we see the "geass beam" fly to Charles eye and be "blocked", we see that Charles had no red rings around his eyes as always happens when Lelouch geasses someone, we see that there was no blue brain programming scene.
So there's actually no basis for believing the geass worked.

SSj97 said:
I don’t see any way to argue (based only on what is shown in the anime) that the interpretation that death isn’t required for code activation is the interpretation with higher probability of being true.

Well, as said above, the anime shows us Charles was not affected by Lelouch's geass.
being immune to geass can mean only 1 thing: Charles already has an active code.
The only way to make that work with the idea that codes need activation is by assuming that Charles quickly committed suicide off screen, but that this was never mentioned, shown or hinted at, not even any visible wounds or blood, no damaged clothes, nothing. I've never seen anyone make that argument, and it is, indeed, a very silly argument.

SSj97 said:
claiming that the other side has no basis for their interpretation.

It's a direct contradiction of what the show has established on the transfer of codes.
And all of the "clues" for code theory have been thoroughly scrutinized by the community and eventually debunked.
The claim that there is no support for the "he's immortal" side didn't drop out of the sky, it's the conclusion of years of analyzing by the community.
I recommend reading the database which, among other things, goes over these things.
May 10, 2019 11:04 PM

Mar 2017
LelouchviBritMER said:
SSj97 said:

It honestly seems like they initially intended for it to be open ended and then later on well after the show had ended decided to retroactively provide all of these ‘canon interpretations’ in order to go more firmly on the ‘he’s dead side’.

That is actually not what happened.
We know this thanks to the 10 years anniversary event, the "Geass Memories" series where show staff tweeted about how they made the show 10 years earlier.
in one of those tweets it is said by Okouchi:
"Before I started writing the story of a person called Lelouch, I confirmed with Taniguchi-director something. That thing was that the end of Lelouch will be death."

So we do know that the decision to kill off Lelouch was taken before they even started writing the show.

Here’s the funny thing; nowhere in any of those do they ever say that Lelouch STAYS dead since I’m working on the assumption that code activates after death.

The community has dissected all those "clues" and found that none of them hold true.
All of them were either misrepresentations of what happened in the anime (e.g. Nunnally saw NO visions or memories), fake and fabricated (such as that fake video showing Lelouch's face as the cart driver), or were just assumptions which didn't have a basis in the anime (e.g. Lelouch being special and an exception to the rules of codes and geass, allowing him to keep his

How can you be sure of the Nunnally part? I’m sorry but the official reason they gave about Nunnally understanding someone by touch doesn’t work for me else why was Nunnally completely unaware of Lelouch being zero in s1? That honestly seemed analogous to when Lelouch and Suzaku were expereincing visions by interacting with c2.

There are still people debating the earth is flat, despite the enormous amount of proof that it isn't.
People debating things doesn't mean there is any doubt about the subject.

The percentage of code geass fans who think Lelouch is alive is far greater than the percentage of people that think the earth is flat in this day and age. Try again!

How?
I'm not being sarcastic or so, my question is genuine.
The show made it impossible for Lelouch to have a code, because that would have violated the rules the anime has previously established. So without code he gets stabbed on screen and bleeds out on screen. We literally see him die.
I don't know what more they could have done.
Adding, for example, a funeral wouldn't have given more clarity because then code theorists would simply say there's no real body in the coffin, and the funeral was part of the deception.

Don’t make it seem like Nunnally is experiencing visions analogous to what Lelouch/Suzaku did when interacting with CC. Don’t have an overly clothed cart driver at the end. Don’t have CC tilt her head towards said cart driver when saying ‘isn’t that right, Lelouch’. Don’t have someone like CC who believes immortality is hell and death is freedom say that Lelouch will pay the ‘ultimate’ price. Make someone (like CC) explicitly mention that Charles’s code was permanently erased or merged with the collective unconsciousness or whatever (heck even I find him inheriting Charles’s code like that to be dubious, but clearly the staff saw some merit in it since they used a variant of that for the new movie). Just a few.

But that is not a carte blanche, it's not a pass to do whatever.
Interpretations still need to be consistent with the presented material, and the show makes it impossible for Lelouch to have a code.

It doesn’t, if death is needed before a code activates.

Disregarding all the official statements for now, code theory is still not possible because the anime was very clear they people who get the code lose the geass. they even had Charles explicitly confirm that. Lelouch never lost his geass, so he couldn't have gotten the code.

Sure activation of code erases geass. I’ve never disputed that.

Even that would be highly problematic, since we see the "geass beam" fly to Charles eye and be "blocked", we see that Charles had no red rings around his eyes as always happens when Lelouch geasses someone, we see that there was no blue brain programming scene.
So there's actually no basis for believing the geass worked.

No it was blocked when Lelouch tried it again after he got back up. It did go through when Lelouch used that mirror reflection trick. Could you provide me with photos that contrast what eyes should normally look like when geassed with what Charles’s eyes looked like right before he died?

Well, as said above, the anime shows us Charles was not affected by Lelouch's geass.
being immune to geass can mean only 1 thing: Charles already has an active code.
The only way to make that work with the idea that codes need activation is by assuming that Charles quickly committed suicide off screen, but that this was never mentioned, shown or hinted at, not even any visible wounds or blood, no damaged clothes, nothing. I've never seen anyone make that argument, and it is, indeed, a very silly argument.

The way I saw it, it did work the first time and Lelouch only bothers to mention it isn’t working when he tries it again after Charles gets up. The animation also looks different with the geass seeming more clearly rejected the 2nd time. This would even be in contrast with Shirley where the animation seems to indicate that the geass went through but of course had no effect since it can only be used once per person.

It's a direct contradiction of what the show has established on the transfer of codes.
And all of the "clues" for code theory have been thoroughly scrutinized by the community and eventually debunked.
The claim that there is no support for the "he's immortal" side didn't drop out of the sky, it's the conclusion of years of analyzing by the community.
I recommend reading the database which, among other things, goes over these things.

I don’t see you refuting the CC example which would seem to support death being needed for code activation.
SSj97May 10, 2019 11:13 PM
May 11, 2019 12:05 AM
Aug 2018
SSj97 said:

Here’s the funny thing; nowhere in any of those do they ever say that Lelouch STAYS dead since I’m working on the assumption that code activates after death.

Who ever speaks like that?
Besides, if you read their interviews, they repeat that his DEATH was his the only fitting punishment for his sins. Both the creators and lelouch thought of his death that way.
How is a 2 minute death compatible with "the only fitting punishment for all sins"?
it's not.
They said his death was essential for their sense of ethic, how is that compatible with a 2 minute death?
It's not.
It's just like saying "they said the character ran through the rain, but they didn't say he got wet", especially if the character dripping water over the floor is so essential to the writers.
Even C.C. says she mourns Lelouch's death! Why would she say that if lelouch was only dead for a short while?
She wouldn't

SSj97 said:

How can you be sure of the Nunnally part? I’m sorry but the official reason they gave about Nunnally understanding someone by touch doesn’t work for me

Even without the show staff explicitly spelling out that Nunnally never saw any visions or memories, it's still easily shown that she saw nothing.
All of these arguments are discussed in the Code Geass Community Information Database and I'll just copy some of the shorter arguments here

- C.C. says the recipient of the code visions sees his own memories mixed with random showk images. The "visions" in the final episode don't contain shock images and are images where Nunnally could,'t have been present and thus not her memroies
- The visuals are very different, there's no looping blue tunnel effects like with the real visions
- The audio cue is different from the real visions
- The chronology makes it clear that she didn't see them. the chronology of the event is as follow: 1) Nunnally touches Lelouch, 2) Nunnally reacts shocked and gasps aidibly, 3) the imeages are shown, 4) Nunnally cries. This shows that Nunnally already started her reaction before the images were shown. how can she react to images she hasn't even seen yet? She can't, obviously. And thus she wasn't reacting to the images at all.

the whole argument of Nunnally's "visions" is nothing more than a misrepresentation of what the show tells us, the show directly contradicts it.

SSj97 said:

The percentage of code geass fans who think Lelouch is alive is far greater than the percentage of people that think the earth is flat in this day and age. Try again!

you know I was talking about the spirit of things and not literal percentages.
but fine, I'll "do better".
25% of all Americans believe that the sun revolves around the earth: http://time.com/7809/1-in-4-americans-thinks-sun-orbits-earth/
That's the same order of magnitude as people who believe in code theory. (i.e. double digits)

SSj97 said:

Don’t make it seem like Nunnally is experiencing visions analogous to what Lelouch/Suzaku did when interacting with CC.

The show didn't make it seem that way at all.
You can't blame the show for people completely misunderstanding what was shown to them. Nunnally reacted BEFORE the images. The images looked and sounded very different. The images violated the rules of visions.
Don't blame the show for the mistakes of biased fans.

SSj97 said:

Don’t have an overly clothed cart driver at the end.

So it's forbidden to have any characters in the shot?
Who is supposed to drive the cart, the horses?
This is just silly!
The cart driver showed NOTHING which made it seem like it's Lelouch. She doesn't even look towards him when she speaks, she looks up into the sky (towards heaven if you want to be religious)

SSj97 said:

Don’t have CC tilt her head towards said cart driver when saying ‘isn’t that right,

And this is just factually incorrect!!
I know that's an argument that code theorists keep using but it's 10000% incorrect!
Rewatch the scene.
Where is the cart driver? behind and below her.
Where does she look? UP! the only direction he isn't. She could have turned left or right and she'd be looking more towards him, but she looks in the only direction which is even further away from him!

SSj97 said:

Lelouch’. Don’t have someone like CC who believes immortality is hell and death is freedom say that Lelouch will pay the ‘ultimate’ price.

you completely disregard C.C.'s arc.
the C.C; who believes life and immortality is hell is from the start of the show. She progresses into a character who accepts and enjoys life. She herself even says at the end she will start living again. life is positive again.
No, the "ultimate price" always means death, when people use that phrase.
You can't blame the show for people willingly completely ignoring the character arc of one of the main characters!

Hell, she even says she mourns Lelouch's death!

SSj97 said:

Make someone (like CC) explicitly mention that Charles’s code was permanently erased

Why would she say something so obvious?
We see it happen in front of us. We literally see Charles disappear.
She's not the narrator repeating everything that happens on screen.

Everything you mention is on the heads of the audience who chose to misunderstand things because they didn't want to accept Lelouch's death. if you look with neutral eyes and at the facts as they are presented by the anime, none of those arguments hold, there is no vagueness.

SSj97 said:
the staff saw some merit in it since they used a variant of that for the new movie

The merit of money since their attempts at continuing Code Geass without Lelouch in a prominent role (Akito the Exiled) failed.
And even then it's not correct sincde the new movie didn't even sue "a variant of code theory". the new movie completely contradicted it.
they have C.C. mention the possibility of it and then she immediately dismisses it by saying "but Lelouch still has a geass" and then she continues to explain that it was she who resurrected Lelouch's corpse. Something she later repeats in another scene.
Lelouch doesn't even get a code in the new movie, the new power he gets isn't a code at all. it has very different properties, for example it doesn't make you immune to geass.
The movie does have some nods at the theory, e.g. cart driver clothing in a different context, but it does completely contradict the theory itself.

SSj97 said:

It doesn’t, if death is needed before a code activates.

Codes don't need activation.
the anime showed us that by showing that Charles was not affected by lelouch's geass.

SSj97 said:

No it was blocked when Lelouch tried it again after he got back up. It did go through when Lelouch used that mirror reflection trick.

no it fizzled.
the camera follows the beam's path as it often does and when it reaches Charles eye, nstead of showing us the blue brain reprogramming scene, we get that it is blocked by his eye.

SSj97 said:

Could you provide me with photos that contrast what eyes should normally look like when geassed with what Charles’s eyes looked like right before he died?

You mean the red rings?
here

SSj97 said:

The way I saw it, it did work the first time

none of the indications of it having worked were present.
the beam didn't enter the eye
the eyes didn't have red rings
no brain reprogramming
There was zero reason to assume it had worked.

SSj97 said:
more clearly rejected the 2nd time.

more clearly, yes.
but they are hammering on the fact so that we understand it.
The camera even shakes now, iirc

SSj97 said:

This would even be in contrast with Shirley where the animation seems to indicate that the geass went through but of course had no effect since it can only be used once per person.

You mean his "i order you not to die"?
that geass did take effect, we see all the signs, red rings, brain reprogramming.
But what he asked was impossible. Asking for impossible things has no effect.

SSj97 said:

I don’t see you refuting the CC example which would seem to support death being needed for code activation.

C.C.'s case is the most ambiguous of the two.
but that doesn't matter, a single counter example is sufficient to debunk an assumption.
the fact that charles was not affected by geass proves that he already had a code without dying, thus debunking the entire assumption.
May 11, 2019 12:31 AM

Mar 2017
https://myanimelist.net/news/57498462

That shows the latest opinions of the staff themselves on this subject. They flat out say that they deliberately made the ending vague and open to viewer interpretation which was my point. End of discussion; I’m done here.
May 11, 2019 8:10 AM
Aug 2018
For anyone interested, all these official statements, and much more, are part of the Code Geass Community Information Database. I highly recommend checking it out.

SSj97 said:

That shows the latest opinions of the staff themselves on this subject. They flat out say that they deliberately made the ending vague and open to viewer interpretation which was my point. End of discussion; I’m done here.

I am well aware and this change has only come about after the release of the new movie.
They can say now they wanted it vague, but all their words, all their actions in the past scream otherwise.
It's easy to see why the change of course. They used to hammer on the fact that it was their sense of ethics that Lelouch was dead, and now they resurrect them. So what does that say about their sense of ethics? Clearly not as important as the need for money. So obviously they couldn't keep repeating their old words.

Let me give you some examples of their words and their deeds, and then ask yourself how this is "keeping it vague"

Here are some of the things they said in Continue Vol.42:
- "While it's undeniable that Lelouch's story has ended with a full stop, the other characters' stories are still on-going"
- "Lelouch says in the first episode: "Only those prepared to be shot are allowed to pull the trigger themselves." If you were to think of that as his pride, then I think his getting killed in the end was a logical end."

Here's what they said in Animage
- "C.C. also wished for tomorrow. She made up her mind to ensure the tomorrow of the world that Lelouch had left."
- "Lelouch got his salvation by choosing not the happiness of living on but to sacrifice his own life to create the situation for the world to move forward."

Here's what they said in the "Geass Memories" series where they explained how they made the anime:
- "Before I started writing the story of a person called Lelouch, I confirmed with Taniguchi-director something. That thing was that the end of Lelouch will be death."
- "At least he is aware of his sins and pays for them with his death."
- "This man called Lelouch will pay for his sins by his death. The story follows him till he finally make this decision."

Here is the list of everyone who died in R2, lelouch is on that list.

here is the Official guide Book where they explain the Zero requiem:
- "For those two who bear the heavy sin known as killing their fathers, they share the belief that they can forgive each other by imposing the greatest punishments on themselves. Death for Lelouch who wishes for a tomorrow with his sister, life for Suzaku who wishes to atone for his sins through death."

Here is the [/url=https://streamable.com/d8dji]2009 epilogue[/url] for which they dropped the sometimes misunderstood cart scene and where they had C.C. explicitly tell the audience that lelouch is dead and that she mourns his death.
- "A young man dies. He had the power to change the world, to create a new order. The world feared him, hated him. But, I know he died with a smile on his face. Only those who have realised their dream will truly understand that feeling of utter contentment. So, this is not a tragedy. And whenever I feel sad or cry at night, I sing a song. A song of man's making. Zero Requiem!"

The show staff even explicitly contradicted some of the cornerstones of code theory!

Here they deny that codes need to be activated by death by explaining Charles already had a code and never died: 「これギアス掛かってないのに死んだふりするんだよ」「息子を驚かせようと」「ルルーシュくんかわいそう」「これ一番ショックなタイミング計ってるよね」「絶対笑いこらえてるよ」って色々言われてて笑った。

And here they explain that Nunnally saw no visions or memories:
"The way Nunnally can tell that someone is lying, just like she was able to tell that Lohmeyer was lying to her, is that she can feel the hand of the person she is talking to is sweating or lightly trembling. It's nothing like Geass or some special ability like that."
"Yes. So, she simply came to conclusion [Lelouch was lying] by herself, because of this ability."

Now tell me, does this match with the very recent statement that they deliberately kept it vague? are these the actions and words of someone who is trying to be vague?
Any sane man with a a bit of sincerity would say no. They are HAMMERING on the fact that Lelouch is totally dead. No vagueness at all, they are slapping it in our faces.
Even as recently as 2018 (Geass memories).
Only now with the release of the movie did Taniguchi suddenly pretend they were trying to be vague, while everything screams the opposite.

For anyone interested, all these official statements, and much more, are part of the Code Geass Community Information Database. I highly recommend checking it out.
May 11, 2019 1:46 PM

Mar 2017
LelouchviBritMER said:

SSj97 said:

I am well aware and this change has only come about after the release of the new movie.
They can say now they wanted it vague, but all their words, all their actions in the past scream otherwise.
It's easy to see why the change of course. They used to hammer on the fact that it was their sense of ethics that Lelouch was dead, and now they resurrect them. So what does that say about their sense of ethics? Clearly not as important as the need for money. So obviously they couldn't keep repeating their old words.

Let me give you some examples of their words and their deeds, and then ask yourself how this is "keeping it vague"

Here are some of the things they said in Continue Vol.42:
- "While it's undeniable that Lelouch's story has ended with a full stop, the other characters' stories are still on-going"
- "Lelouch says in the first episode: "Only those prepared to be shot are allowed to pull the trigger themselves." If you were to think of that as his pride, then I think his getting killed in the end was a logical end."

Here's what they said in Animage
- "C.C. also wished for tomorrow. She made up her mind to ensure the tomorrow of the world that Lelouch had left."
- "Lelouch got his salvation by choosing not the happiness of living on but to sacrifice his own life to create the situation for the world to move forward."

Here's what they said in the "Geass Memories" series where they explained how they made the anime:
- "Before I started writing the story of a person called Lelouch, I confirmed with Taniguchi-director something. That thing was that the end of Lelouch will be death."
- "At least he is aware of his sins and pays for them with his death."
- "This man called Lelouch will pay for his sins by his death. The story follows him till he finally make this decision."

Here is the list of everyone who died in R2, lelouch is on that list.

here is the Official guide Book where they explain the Zero requiem:
- "For those two who bear the heavy sin known as killing their fathers, they share the belief that they can forgive each other by imposing the greatest punishments on themselves. Death for Lelouch who wishes for a tomorrow with his sister, life for Suzaku who wishes to atone for his sins through death."

Here is the [/url=https://streamable.com/d8dji]2009 epilogue[/url] for which they dropped the sometimes misunderstood cart scene and where they had C.C. explicitly tell the audience that lelouch is dead and that she mourns his death.
- "A young man dies. He had the power to change the world, to create a new order. The world feared him, hated him. But, I know he died with a smile on his face. Only those who have realised their dream will truly understand that feeling of utter contentment. So, this is not a tragedy. And whenever I feel sad or cry at night, I sing a song. A song of man's making. Zero Requiem!"

The show staff even explicitly contradicted some of the cornerstones of code theory!

Here they deny that codes need to be activated by death by explaining Charles already had a code and never died: 「これギアス掛かってないのに死んだふりするんだよ」「息子を驚かせようと」「ルルーシュくんかわいそう」「これ一番ショックなタイミング計ってるよね」「絶対笑いこらえてるよ」って色々言われてて笑った。

And here they explain that Nunnally saw no visions or memories:
"The way Nunnally can tell that someone is lying, just like she was able to tell that Lohmeyer was lying to her, is that she can feel the hand of the person she is talking to is sweating or lightly trembling. It's nothing like Geass or some special ability like that."
"Yes. So, she simply came to conclusion [Lelouch was lying] by herself, because of this ability."

Now tell me, does this match with the very recent statement that they deliberately kept it vague? are these the actions and words of someone who is trying to be vague?
Any sane man with a a bit of sincerity would say no. They are HAMMERING on the fact that Lelouch is totally dead. No vagueness at all, they are slapping it in our faces.
Even as recently as 2018 (Geass memories).
Only now with the release of the movie did Taniguchi suddenly pretend they were trying to be vague, while everything screams the opposite.

Not going to bother anymore. Fact is the most up to date stance of the people that actually made the show is that the ending was deliberately made vague and left to viewer interpretation which was the main point I was trying to assert. This is an undeniable fact and it runs in direct contradiction to the conclusion that you’re asserting for the ending after seemingly so much painstaking research. By the word of the ‘gods’ of the Code Geass verse themselves, my view is right and your view is wrong on this matter. I win; you loose; gg.
May 11, 2019 1:59 PM
Aug 2018
SSj97 said:

Not going to bother anymore. Fact is the most up to date stance of the people that actually made the show is that the ending was deliberately made vague and left to viewer interpretation which was the main point I was trying to assert. This is an undeniable fact and it runs in direct contradiction to the conclusion that you’re asserting for the ending after seemingly so much painstaking research. By the word of the ‘gods’ of the Code Geass verse themselves, my view is right and your view is wrong on this matter.

You can't retcon real life.
Buying an apple yesterday and today claiming that you didn't but an apple doesn't suddenly undo you buying that apple.
The real world isn't fiction, it doesn't work like that.
An author can retcon his work, but he cannot retcon his life.
The show staff claiming with force that Lelouch is totally dead is something done in real life, it is not an in-universe event. Therefore they cannot undo it.
Nothing said or done now can change the words which were said in the past in the real world.

You know this, but you are being deliberately ignorant just to push a narrative.

No matter what they do or say now, it is an unchangeable fact that everything they ever said or did regarding Lelouch's fate in the past was the literal opposite of "vague". i have given ample examples of that.
People can read all the official statements in the Code Geass Community Information Database
Real life words can't be retconned.

SSj97 said:

I win; you loose; gg.

Are you 6 years old?
This isn't about winning or losing.
(also it's "lose", not "loose")
geez, some people ...
May 11, 2019 2:09 PM

Mar 2017
LelouchviBritMER said:
SSj97 said:

Not going to bother anymore. Fact is the most up to date stance of the people that actually made the show is that the ending was deliberately made vague and left to viewer interpretation which was the main point I was trying to assert. This is an undeniable fact and it runs in direct contradiction to the conclusion that you’re asserting for the ending after seemingly so much painstaking research. By the word of the ‘gods’ of the Code Geass verse themselves, my view is right and your view is wrong on this matter.

You can't retcon real life.
Buying an apple yesterday and today claiming that you didn't but an apple doesn't suddenly undo you buying that apple.
The real world isn't fiction, it doesn't work like that.
An author can retcon his work, but he cannot retcon his life.
The show staff claiming with force that Lelouch is totally dead is something done in real life, it is not an in-universe event. Therefore they cannot undo it.
Nothing said or done now can change the words which were said in the past in the real world.

You know this, but you are being deliberately ignorant just to push a narrative.

No matter what they do or say now, it is an unchangeable fact that everything they ever said or did regarding Lelouch's fate in the past was the literal opposite of "vague". i have given ample examples of that.
People can read all the official statements in the Code Geass Community Information Database
Real life words can't be retconned.

SSj97 said:

I win; you loose; gg.

Are you 6 years old?
This isn't about winning or losing.
(also it's "lose", not "loose")
geez, some people ...

You’re just a sore loser because the creators of the show flat-out debunked the conclusion of your oh so precious database. Reality is that their word has far more value than yours, so it’s you who’s living in delusion. I’m right; you’re wrong; gg ^_^.
May 11, 2019 2:16 PM
Aug 2018
SSj97 said:

You’re just a sore loser

And again, the while winning-losing thing, like you're a 6 year old.

SSj97 said:

because the creators of the show flat-out debunked the conclusion of your oh so precious database.

Not in the slightest.
All they did was say things which don't match with what they've been saying and doing for 10 years.
That doesn't change what they did do and did say these years.
All of these things can be read in the Code Geass Community Information Database

SSj97 said:
I’m right; you’re wrong; gg ^_^.

yeah, it's obvious now that you're just a 6 year old troll.
May 11, 2019 4:17 PM

Mar 2017
LelouchviBritMER said:
SSj97 said:

You’re just a sore loser

And again, the while winning-losing thing, like you're a 6 year old.

SSj97 said:

because the creators of the show flat-out debunked the conclusion of your oh so precious database.

Not in the slightest.
All they did was say things which don't match with what they've been saying and doing for 10 years.
That doesn't change what they did do and did say these years.
All of these things can be read in the Code Geass Community Information Database

SSj97 said:
I’m right; you’re wrong; gg ^_^.

yeah, it's obvious now that you're just a 6 year old troll.

Yeah it’s even more obvious now that you’re a sore loser that can’t accept the truth when it has been spelled out for you by people with far more credibility on this subject than you will ever have. This thread should be closed since the ‘official confirmation’ of Lelouch’s fate is that it’s ambiguous and subject to viewer interpretation like I’ve been saying all along; case closed! You can either except reality for what it is or live in your own delusional bubble forever; doesn’t matter to me since the truth will stand that I’m right and you’re wrong on this issue. Good day ^_^.
May 11, 2019 4:33 PM
Aug 2018
Reality doesn't change by simply denying it.
Buying an apple and then later on denying it doesn't change the fact that you bought an apple.
While they may deny it now because of the new movie, they have been repeating for 10 years that Lelouch's death was not vague at all. They did all they could to make people understand he was truly dead.
All the official statements can be read by everyone in the Code Geass Community Information Database
May 11, 2019 4:36 PM

Mar 2017
Cool and the latest (ergo most relevant) ‘official statements’ on the matter can be read right here: https://myanimelist.net/news/57498462
May 11, 2019 4:38 PM

May 2013
SSj97 said:
Cool and the latest (ergo most relevant) ‘official statements’ on the matter can be read right here: https://myanimelist.net/news/57498462

Lol, now it seems like the fans went all "Hey you fuckwads, we say Lelouch is dead, aye!?"

Creators : " FFS, yeah HE IS DEAD because of this being interpreted as that, YOU HAPPY NOW?! "

xD
Truly a Divine Comedy
May 11, 2019 4:39 PM
Aug 2018
As I said before, that doesn't change a thing about the past.
Reality doesn't change by simply denying it.
Buying an apple and then later on denying it doesn't change the fact that you bought an apple.
While they may deny it now because of the new movie, they have been repeating for 10 years that Lelouch's death was not vague at all. They did all they could to make people understand he was truly dead.
All the official statements can be read by everyone in the Code Geass Community Information Database
May 11, 2019 4:41 PM

Dec 2013
I don't understand why the same topic still manages to set keyboards ablaze. The show ended like 10 years ago. At this point I'm just surprised how many people are still in denial about his death.

Is the death of a beloved character really that hard to accept? Are happy endings really that culturally ingrained to us? My best guess is that people are just so unused to seeing a tragic ending that they fail to even comprehend the possibility and thus resort to these tin foil hat theories.
May 11, 2019 5:04 PM

Jan 2009
NthDegree said:
I don't understand why the same topic still manages to set keyboards ablaze. The show ended like 10 years ago. At this point I'm just surprised how many people are still in denial about his death.

Is the death of a beloved character really that hard to accept? Are happy endings really that culturally ingrained to us? My best guess is that people are just so unused to seeing a tragic ending that they fail to even comprehend the possibility and thus resort to these tin foil hat theories.

its been ages since i watched this show but the hints of Lelouch being an immortal like CC is there though and for an anime production that have a well planning stage then coincidences on its own story is like impossible

hints of Lelouch being immortal that i remember
- when Lelouch touched CC the first time he experience all the memories of immortal CC, this same thing happened when Lelouch in a dying state is touched by Nunally in the last episode i think
- CC calls the cart driver as Lelouch since she pointed her head towards him on the last episode
May 11, 2019 5:20 PM

Dec 2013
deg said:
NthDegree said:

its been ages since i watched this show but the hints of Lelouch being an immortal like CC is there though and for an anime production that have a well planning stage then coincidences on its own story is like impossible

- when Lelouch touched CC the first time he experience all the memories of immortal CC, this same thing happened when Lelouch in a dying state is touched by Nunally in the last episode i think
- CC calls the cart driver as Lelouch since she pointed her head towards him on the last episode

Eh, I thought that was just Lelouch himself remembering those things, not Nunally. You know before you die they say your life flashes before your eyes.

As LelouchviBritMER has already stated C.C was looking at the sky, implying he's looking down from heaven. Nothing in the scene implied that she was talking to the coachman.

But really, I'm not interested in having the same conversation I've had for 10 years now. I'm just wondering whether there is some cultural bias against tragic endings in the audience.
May 11, 2019 5:29 PM
Aug 2018
deg said:
the hints of Lelouch being an immortal like CC is there though and for an anime production that have a well planning stage then coincidences on its own story is like impossible

There are no hints.
Those have all been debunked by the community over the years, they were misrepresentations of what the anime actually showed or just plain fake and fabricated like that video showing his face.

If you wish you can read the full analysis of that in the Code Geass Community Information Database

deg said:

That myth was explicitly denied by the show staff.
And even the anime shows us that interpretation can't be true because the visual ques are very different, the audio cues are very different and Nunnally even starts her reaction BEFORE the images are shown, so obviously she isn't reacting to those images.

Here's what the show staff said in a interview with Mook Animedia (28 January 2009, p.89-90):
"How did Nunnally managed to realize Lelouch true intention, when she touched his hand at the end?"
"She is Marianne's daughter and Lelouch's little sister. Two months have passed since that defeat of Schneizel and for this two months she's been wondering constantly about what had happened, like "why it happened?" and so on. So when she touched Lelouch's hand at the end she felt that he is calm, she put the two and two together and realized the truth. Of course, we know that in anime, it's hard to explain things like that, but yeah, please accept it like this kind of romantic idea we had."

This interview, including pictures of it, is also part of the Database which I linked above.

deg said:

This is completely untrue.
It keep being repeated, but it's just not what happens.
Look at the scene and you'll see.
the driver is behind and below her, and when C.C. speaks she looks UP. That's AWAY from the driver. She could have turned her head left or right to face him, but she tilted her head in literally the only direction the driver is not.
Furthermore, this scene was explained as C.C. finding peace, it had nothing to do with the cart driver, he's just a nobody.
And if that's not enough, in 2009 they dropped this epilogue and replaced it with a very explicit new one. in it C.C. talks directly to the audience and explains to us that Lelouch is dead and that she mourns his death. You can't be any more clear and explicit than that! C.C. herself telling us to accept that he's dead!
You can watch the 2009 epilogue here
May 11, 2019 5:32 PM

Jan 2009
@NthDegree
@LelouchviBritMER

lets just agree to disagree then, i just find this thread title misleading since there is NEW statement by the staff that the original series ending is subject to interpretation anyway
May 11, 2019 5:54 PM
Aug 2018
deg said:
@NthDegree
@LelouchviBritMER

there is NEW statement by the staff that the original series ending is subject to interpretation anyway

Yes, the first and only one which is inconsistent with 10 years of repeating the same thing.
They changed their tune after the new movie was released because the old statements "his death was essential for our sense of ethics" sounded a bit odd in light of that new movie where they had C.C. literally resurrect him from the dead.
The new statement doesn't change anything since they were talking about their intentions (keeping it vague) and not about the story. An author can change his story, but he can't change the real world. There's 10 years of real life statements where they keep repeating and repeating and repeating that he's dead. They even changed the epilogue to have C.C. lecture us on how dead he is. Now suddenly saying "we were vague" is a bit disingenuous.
May 11, 2019 5:58 PM

Jan 2009
LelouchviBritMER said:
deg said:
@NthDegree
@LelouchviBritMER

there is NEW statement by the staff that the original series ending is subject to interpretation anyway

Yes, the first and only one which is inconsistent with 10 years of repeating the same thing.
They changed their tune after the new movie was released because the old statements "his death was essential for our sense of ethics" sounded a bit odd in light of that new movie where they had C.C. literally resurrect him from the dead.
The new statement doesn't change anything since they were talking about their intentions (keeping it vague) and not about the story. An author can change his story, but he can't change the real world. There's 10 years of real life statements where they keep repeating and repeating and repeating that he's dead. They even changed the epilogue to have C.C. lecture us on how dead he is. Now suddenly saying "we were vague" is a bit disingenuous.

err i do not plan to continue but i got a lot of free time anyway

look your evidences against the story "coincidences" is base on this staff statements in the past but now that same staff have flip-flop

thats why i base the lelouch is alive belief on what the show gives, simple as that
May 11, 2019 6:22 PM
Aug 2018
deg said:

look your evidences against the story "coincidences" is base on this staff statements in the past but now that same staff have flip-flop

2 errors here.
One, the database consists of 2 parts, part 1 is official statements and part 2 is the anime itself. This new statement didn't change the anime
And two, there is a difference here you're not seeing. All of the official statements are about explaining what happens in the anime. This one new statements is not about what happened in the anime, it says neither A nor B, it is about their intentions of 10 years ago. That is something completely different. If he had said "Lelouch is alive" then you would have had a point, but that's not what he said. He talked about "leaving it vague", which is a statement about an act in real life. Therefore it about non-fiction and not about fiction. this statement can then be compared with what they did do in real life the past 10 years£. And then we see a contradiction. he says now "we did not do X", and the facts show that he very much did do X.
To make an analogy, if he had said they never made Code Geass, would you then go "I guess the anime doesn't exist"? Of course not. That's because he's talking about real life actions and facts, and those can be tested.

deg said:

thats why i base the lelouch is alive belief on what the show gives, simple as that

Even when we disregard the millions of official statements which hammer on the fact that Lelouch is totally dead, the anime still makes it impossible for Lelouch to have a code.
The anime makes it absolutely clear that everyone who gets the code loses the geass. ALL examples confirm this. There are no exceptions at all. This is then even confirmed explicitly by Charles as well.
This is the n where conspiracy theorists try to save their theory by fantasizing extra rules such as the sources of geas sand coides and stuff. But none of that is part of the anime!
There's not a single hint, clue, vague indication whatsoever that there might be exceptions to the established rules. That makes any such ideas totally unsupported by the anime and thus headcanon and not canon.
Therefore, it is canonically impossible for Lelouch to be immortal, because the anime tells us this.
You can make it your headcanon, of course. Headcanons can be whatever you want, unbound by canon. But you have to be aware this is your own personal headcanon and not the true story. And you have to stay honest and never tell others that Lelouch surviving is what really happened, because that would be a lie.
May 11, 2019 6:39 PM

Jan 2009
@LelouchviBritMER

im just gonna say that asspulls exist

and i just watch the last scene of CC again, she said the power of geass isolate or make people lonely but that is not exactly correct then call the name of Lelouch, fucking hints dude lol

anyway i got nothing more to say at this point so if i do not reply back im still gonna read your last reply
May 11, 2019 6:47 PM
Aug 2018
deg said:

and i just watch the last scene of CC again, she said the power of geass isolate or make people lonely but that is not exactly correct then call the name of Lelouch, fucking hints dude lol

I'm afraid you're the one missing the hint.
This is the official explanation of that scene:
"Knowing that Lelouch does not hate her for giving him the Geass, she is now able to show her true feelings. With the realization of "Zero Requiem", her time with Lelouch, who was able to forgive and accept her, came to an end, but the memories created with him has, without doubt, saved her from eternal loneliness."

Furthermore, the cart scene was dropped in 2009 when they made a new epilogue where C.C. directly addresses the viewer and explicitly explains that Lelouch is dead and she mourns his death.
You can watch it here

Both of these elements, and many many many more are all part of the Code Geass Community Information Database
I strongly recommend reading it.
May 12, 2019 8:22 AM

Jan 2009
LelouchviBritMER said:
deg said:

I'm afraid you're the one missing the hint.
This is the official explanation of that scene:
"Knowing that Lelouch does not hate her for giving him the Geass, she is now able to show her true feelings. With the realization of "Zero Requiem", her time with Lelouch, who was able to forgive and accept her, came to an end, but the memories created with him has, without doubt, saved her from eternal loneliness."

Furthermore, the cart scene was dropped in 2009 when they made a new epilogue where C.C. directly addresses the viewer and explicitly explains that Lelouch is dead and she mourns his death.
You can watch it here

Both of these elements, and many many many more are all part of the Code Geass Community Information Database
I strongly recommend reading it.

you did it again lol you rely on staff explanations (that cannot be trusted now) instead of what the story gives with its "coincidences" that like i said is impossible to happen because of long planning involving original anime like this

anyway i rest my case here
May 12, 2019 9:00 AM
Aug 2018
deg said:

you did it again lol you rely on staff explanations (that cannot be trusted now) instead of what the story gives

The Code Geass Community Information Database
consists of 2 parts, the first is all the official statements which make clear Lelouch is totally dead and the second part is showing where the anime itself contradicts the various "clues" of code theory. None of those clues are correct! It is obvious that Lelouch is not the cart driver because the anime itself makes it literally impossible for him to have code.

The reason why I also bring up the show staff is because they confirm what the anime shows us: Lelouch is totally dead and not immortal.

I strongly suggest you read the Code Geass Community Information Database
May 12, 2019 9:08 AM

Jan 2009
LelouchviBritMER said:
deg said:

you did it again lol you rely on staff explanations (that cannot be trusted now) instead of what the story gives

The Code Geass Community Information Database
consists of 2 parts, the first is all the official statements which make clear Lelouch is totally dead and the second part is showing where the anime itself contradicts the various "clues" of code theory. None of those clues are correct! It is obvious that Lelouch is not the cart driver because the anime itself makes it literally impossible for him to have code.

The reason why I also bring up the show staff is because they confirm what the anime shows us: Lelouch is totally dead and not immortal.

I strongly suggest you read the Code Geass Community Information Database

ok i will bite there is such a thing as asspulls (not in the literal sense here but im showing that plot holes can exist for the sake of story telling) so the code theory might have gotten that asspull treatment too
May 12, 2019 9:23 AM
Aug 2018
deg said:

ok i will bite there is such a thing as asspulls (not in the literal sense here but im showing that plot holes can exist for the sake of story telling) so the code theory might have gotten that asspull treatment too

I don't quite understand what you're saying here.
Asspulls by whom?
Code theory was made by some fans, did you mean asspull by them?
As said, there's nothing in the anime which suggests he could have gotten a code. That was never part of the story the show staff wanted to tell. So it can't be an asspull by them.
Or are you saying that the show staff put code theory in the anime without any support for it in the anime and the anime itself making it even impossible, and that this completely unsupported and contradicted idea was somehow coincidentally discovered by fans? That seems incredibly unlikely and unbelievable.

We know that code theory was made by fans and not by the show staff, it happened on /a/ on 4chan.
Here's a summary from someone who helped do that: "How the Code Geass anime itself doesn’t support the Code Theory "
Code theory started as a 4chan prank and became a conspiracy theory which some people believed because they didn't want their beloved character to die.
May 12, 2019 9:29 AM

Jan 2009
LelouchviBritMER said:
deg said:

I don't quite understand what you're saying here.
Asspulls by whom?
Code theory was made by some fans, did you mean asspull by them?
As said, there's nothing in the anime which suggests he could have gotten a code. That was never part of the story the show staff wanted to tell. So it can't be an asspull by them.
Or are you saying that the show staff put code theory in the anime without any support for it in the anime and the anime itself making it even impossible, and that this completely unsupported and contradicted idea was somehow coincidentally discovered by fans? That seems incredibly unlikely and unbelievable.

We know that code theory was made by fans and not by the show staff, it happened on /a/ on 4chan.
Here's a summary from someone who helped do that: "How the Code Geass anime itself doesn’t support the Code Theory "
Code theory started as a 4chan prank and became a conspiracy theory which some people believed because they didn't want their beloved character to die.

ok forget about that code theory i said since im not that knowledgeable about it anyway

i meant to say that the technicalities behind Lelouch being alive is sort of an asspull or plot hole for the sake of story telling, what matters more in the end are the 2 things i mentioned earlier about experiencing memories and the cart driver those are not just mere coincidences
May 12, 2019 9:49 AM
Aug 2018
deg said:

i meant to say that the technicalities behind Lelouch being alive is sort of an asspull

The rules of the anime make that impossible, though.
So why conclude "he's alive, even though it's an asspull" and not "he's dead and that is entirely consistent with what the anime has told us"?

deg said:

or plot hole for the sake of story telling, what matters more in the end are the 2 things i mentioned earlier about experiencing memories

That didn't happen.
Even if you disregard the show staff explicitly saying it didn't happen, the anime itself shows us Nunnally saw nothing
It violates the rules of visions (no shock images etc)
It violates the way visions have always been visually portrayed (blue nerves tunnels, etc)
It doesn't follow the audio cues of visions
Nunnally already reacts BEFORE the images are shown, making it impossible that she is reacting to those images.

She absolutely saw no visions or memories, that's a myth which is contradicted by the anime itself.

deg said:

and the cart driver those are not just mere coincidences

There is absolutely nothing in that scene which indicates Lelouch is the cart driver.
C.C. looks away from the cart driver when she speaks, not to him.
Talking to dead people happens so often in the show, Kallen frequently addresses her brother Naoto, is Naoto also somehow still alive and present in the scenes with her? is he hiding in her mech?
C.C.'s words are an obvious continuation of the conclusion of her character arc, she has accepted life and the future. It in now way means Lelouch is there. Lelouch is dead, but thanks to him she has found peace and happiness again.
The fact that the anime makes it literally impossible for Lelouch to be alive at that time makes it obvious that the cart driver is not Lelouch.

The Code Geass Community Information Database also deals with these points.
May 12, 2019 10:00 AM

Jan 2009
@LelouchviBritMER

thats why its an asspull or plot hole just for the sake of having him alive in the end

and you are using literal thinking here more, that Nunally and Lelouch touching scene with Lelouch memories flashing on the background is similar to Lelouch touching immortal CC (not coincidence)

and the cart driver have unusually lots of camera focus for being just mere extra character, and you are ignoring the dialogue of CC on that last scene and also CC is happy saying that especially when he said the words "right Lelouch?" thats another not coincidence moment there
May 12, 2019 10:19 AM

May 2013
I think this needs to be put to rest.

Official statement literally says it was meant to be ambiguous.

Why are they saying this after 10 years now? Are they being purposefully disingenuous? Why are they bringing up stupid inconsistencies in their statements now?

End of story. Order a Pizza.

The way the creators have made it sound is that they were forced to justify fan theories. This is the equivalent of fans forcing Christopher Nolan to explain what was the true ending of Inception, and then he has to personally step in to explain what the theme and ending was about and give his own interpretation of the intended ambiguity.
Truly a Divine Comedy
May 12, 2019 10:52 AM
Aug 2018
deg said:

thats why its an asspull or plot hole just for the sake of having him alive in the end

But he isn't.
I don't get why you're so adamant about him being alive, to the point of admitting it would be an asspull if he were alive.
There IS another option: he's dead. And that option is not an asspull but the logical conclusion of everything the anime has shown us.

deg said:

and you are using literal thinking here more, that Nunally and Lelouch touching scene with Lelouch memories flashing on the background is similar to Lelouch touching immortal CC (not coincidence)

This is factually incorrect!
Rewatch the scenes, there's NOTHING those scenes have in comparison!
No shock images.
very diferent visuals, no blue nerves effects
Different audio
The chronology doesn't make sense, Nunnally reacts before the images even appear!
Seriously, rewatch the scenes and you'll see . Here, they've been posted online: https://imgur.com/a/K7flzwX
nobody can say they are similar at all while staying honest!

deg said:

and the cart driver have unusually lots of camera focus for being just mere extra character,

You're again being dishonest.
The camera never focuses on him at all!!
It barely even shows him as the camera pans up to C.C., only showing his side.
Seriously, stop saying things which are factually incorrect.
The anime makes it impossible for lelouch to be immortal.

deg said:

and you are ignoring the dialogue of CC on that last scene and also CC is happy

I'm not ignoring that atall!
Really, you just ignore everything I say!
i said her dialogue is the normal ending of her character arc. she is no longer suicidal and depressed. Even though Lelouch is dead, she has come to accept life and the future.
Did you not see her secene in the final 2 episodes? Her battle with kallen?

deg said:

saying that especially when he said the words "right Lelouch?" thats another not coincidence moment there

God, you are grasping at straws.
kallen also speaks to Lelouch in the epilogue. I lelouch hiding in her cleavage when she runs to school?
kallen also talks to Naoto frequently, does that mean her brother is alive too?
People talk to dead people all the time. In the anime and in real life!
May 12, 2019 11:51 AM
Jul 2018
Lelouch died at the end of R2. Otherwise why would C.C. need to revive him in Fukkatsu?
May 12, 2019 5:33 PM

Jan 2009
@LelouchviBritMER

and i do not get why its so impossible for him to be alive given those 2 scenes and the fact that your belief on the staff explanations already flip-flop and they now say they left the ending vague

anyway im done here for good, you are just so triggered it fucking hurts my eyeballs
May 12, 2019 5:46 PM
Aug 2018
For those who are unaware, there are several fan theories which assume that Lelouch has gained immortality at the end of the show and thus survived his death. But is this theory what actually happened or is it tinfoil?
Therefore a compilation of all the information we have has been made: all the official statements, from old interviews to very recent tweets, the official guide book, live commentaries, the new epilogue from the official ZR movie blu-ray, etc.
Additionally, code theory's points have been scrutinized to see how they hold up against these official statements and against the anime itself.

The resulting text is quite large, as there is a lot of official information about Lelouch's fate, and code theory has a lot of various points, and the compilation text is as thorough and complete as possible.
The text is, however, well worth reading for all Code Geass fans.
You can find the full text here: Code Geass Community Information Database.

For those who want a TLDR:
- Lelouch has been officially confirmed dead many, many times
- There have been interviews where the creators have explicitly denied some key points of code theory.
- Code theory is contradicted by the anime itself as it violates the lore of the anime.
I do, however, strongly recommend reading the full text, as it has all the argumentation and sources.

I will highlight one example from the text, the tweets by the creators:
- "Before I started writing the story of a person called Lelouch, I confirmed with Taniguchi-director something. That thing was that THE END OF LELOUCH WILL BE DEATH."
- "At least he is aware of his sins and pays for them with HIS DEATH."
- "This man called Lelouch will pay for his sins by HIS DEATH. The story follows him till he finally make this decision."
- "Probably this Lelouch we see in the first episode of the series wouldn't CHOOSE DEATH. He would try something to avoid it. He couldn't DIE, for Nunnally as well. But we see him changed in the last episode."

You can find these tweets on his twitter
A screenshot of the tweets
The translation of the tweets

And finally, regarding the sequel which is confirmed to follow the new movies and not the original series: it is true that the sequel is an AU, however it is important to note that Lelouch's fate is unaltered in the movies, Zero requiem still happens and he still dies, the changes in the movies are not directly related to Lelouch himself,and thus these statements about R2's ending are still very much relevant.
LelouchviBritMERMay 20, 2019 3:58 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

yuzuko - Apr 20, 2008

239 by Delritos »»
Mar 29, 9:00 PM

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Sep 28, 2008

1901 by DarkVoyagerx »»
Mar 25, 4:10 PM

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Aug 17, 2008

435 by Dante9231 »»
Feb 21, 2:23 AM

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dtshyk - Jun 29, 2008

291 by Dante9231 »»
Feb 20, 2:21 AM

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Sep 14, 2008

305 by Beatnik »»
Feb 17, 11:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.