Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 12, 2019 12:23 PM

May 2017
Feel free to discuss whatever you want here, but I have a few things I personally wanted to mention.

1) MAL Score

Kinda frustrates me but I'm frankly not worried about it. This story is definitely a slow-burner and I believe it will attract more and more people as the season progresses. It's just... there's really been nothing wrong with this so far, so I don't understand why the rating is so low.

2) Soundtrack

Talk about disappointing... For people that have read the original VN, it's actually super disappointing considering we were praying that they'd use the retro 8-bit tracks or at least remixes of them, but what we have instead is an almost completely anime-original score, asides from a few specific instances. Furthermore, it feels like they're just rotating between the same 3 tracks...

The one thing that does give me hope, though, is that the composer is the guy who did the Violet Evergarden soundtrack, which was freaking incredible. I'm hoping they're just purposely holding back on the music now. We should see next episode if the music will get more diverse because there should be a lot of emotion upcoming.

3. Directing

I just gotta say.... What an absolute pleasant surprise this has been! When I originally read the director's thoughts months ago on the show I was prepared for the absolute worst, especially considering the only notable thing he's done is Grimoire of Zero which was a trainwreck.

But... the directing so far here has been the strongest point of the show. Everything is subtle, tons of visual foreshadowing, great scene direction. 100% satisfied with the direction and very, very happy.

----------------

Overall I think this is shaping up to be quite the nice anime adaptation. Some of the stuff has deviated from the VN but ultimately I think these changes are important for it to become a good anime, not simply just a faithful adaptation.

Curious to hear thoughts from anime-only watchers as well!
phiraethApr 12, 2019 12:28 PM
Apr 12, 2019 12:56 PM

Sep 2018
From a reader of the original VN I see that someone is missing, in general the mood it's less darker and scary, and the music yes, it's not what I expected, but it's not bad for now, I expect to listen more during some climax. In general I'm disappointed about the score on MAL, I hope that it will be higher when next episodes will come out, personally I don't give never a personal score until the anime is finished. For the directing I'm not such an expert to say, but it seems good, it would be nice if they brought the first trailer scene in some of the episodes, that is also the introduction of the VN as we readers know.

My visual novel list
https://vndb.org/u152159
Apr 12, 2019 2:28 PM

May 2017
While the score so far is disappointing, if you click on the stats tab which shows the scores broken down, it looks like there's still hope.

There's not really too many that voted a 1 or 2 (roughly 100, which is small since we're talking in thousands), it's just there seems to be a lot of votes for 6 which is lagging it down.

Plus the obvious factor like people waiting till its finished to cast their vote, this means that only a small portion have voted.

2,515 votes out of roughly 13,668 listed viewers, so only a percentage of around 18.4% have actually voted so far out of the people listed as watching. (Which those numbers will be slightly skewed from not considering the people who put "on hold" or "dropped.")
Signature:
I prefer comedies, horror, hentai, and combinations of such. Anime with a lack of fan service is a disservice.
Apr 12, 2019 2:35 PM

Apr 2017
I want to comment on the show's pacing. It seems very slow. Not only that, but the episodes are really boring too. The only good part I've seen is the last quarter of the first episode.

Maybe that's just how this show is. Hopefully it becomes better as the story develops. I'm definitely gonna stay for at least the next few episodes though.
Apr 15, 2019 2:06 PM

Oct 2015
"there's really been nothing wrong with this so far, so I don't understand why the rating is so low."

When are people going to understand that 6.5 doesnt mean that there is 'something wrong with the show'? It means it was either mediocre or above average for most people. Actually,most people rated it a 7 so far
Apr 15, 2019 2:07 PM

May 2017
Nostalgik said:
"there's really been nothing wrong with this so far, so I don't understand why the rating is so low."

When are people going to understand that 6.5 doesnt mean that there is 'something wrong with the show'? It means it was either mediocre or above average for most people. Actually,most people rated it a 7 so far

Because most stuff that's worth watching is rated over a 7.
Apr 15, 2019 2:16 PM

Oct 2015
ycleped said:
Nostalgik said:

Because most stuff that's worth watching is rated over a 7.
Yeah I'm aware of that. But that also depends on how many people score the show, and who scores the show. For most people on MAL, 7 is average, and considering this is a 'slow burner', it doesnt seem too weird for most people to rate it either as average or as simply "Good"(what the 7 score actually means). So, as you said, if this anime actually pays off as the viewer progresses with the story, it's sure to pass the 7 mark.

It's also worth noting that I've noticed that over time more and more series have been having a score below 7, especially at the beginning of each season, which is great because it means more people are actually paying attention to what's written by each score's number x)
Fairy Gone for instance, didnt see many people calling it a "bad" show, but it's still at 6.6
Apr 15, 2019 2:18 PM

May 2017
Nostalgik said:
Yeah I'm aware of that. But that also depends on how many people score the show, and who scores the show. For most people on MAL, 7 is average, and considering this is a 'slow burner', it doesnt seem too weird for most people to rate it either as average or as simply "Good"(what the 7 score actually means). So, as you said, if this anime actually pays off as the viewer progresses with the story, it's sure to pass the 7 mark.

It's also worth noting that I've noticed that over time more and more series have been having a score below 7, especially at the beginning of each season, which is great because it means more people are actually paying attention to what's written by each score's number x)
Fairy Gone for instance, didnt see many people calling it a "bad" show, but it's still at 6.6

It's a good thing imo that scores are decreasing all across the board, but that won't fix scores that people have given for the past forever lol.
Apr 15, 2019 5:20 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The MAL rating is actually laughable so i have started to not giving a fuck about that for this show.

I expected this show to be my AOTS and so far it's my AOTS.

Expected more of the music as well but what can you do.

The plot and the characters are the strong point of this for me so far, the MC is really good.

Been rewatching the first two episodes once each and will continue with that, i usually don't do this but i think, it'll pay off in the end.

Apr 16, 2019 6:33 AM

May 2017
Smudy said:
The MAL rating is actually laughable so i have started to not giving a fuck about that for this show.

I expected this show to be my AOTS and so far it's my AOTS.

Expected more of the music as well but what can you do.

The plot and the characters are the strong point of this for me so far, the MC is really good.

Been rewatching the first two episodes once each and will continue with that, i usually don't do this but i think, it'll pay off in the end.

I'm especially glad to see you're enjoying this, specifically since we have very similar interests in anime. I'm sure the rating will go up once the story starts to heat up!
Apr 16, 2019 4:36 PM

Sep 2015
So far I think the score on MAL (6.50) is fair. It was not interesting at all, the development seems kind of cliche/common and none of the characters have anything special. We raised many bad flags all over the place and I can't stop felling that at any momment they gonna come with a cheap "shock factor".

So far I gave the show 5 but that's certainly not definitive, everything can change (for worse or better).
Apr 16, 2019 4:41 PM

May 2017
shiro_kai said:
So far I think the score on MAL (6.50) is fair. It was not interesting at all, the development seems kind of cliche/common and none of the characters have anything special. We raised many bad flags all over the place and I can't stop felling that at any momment they gonna come with a cheap "shock factor".

So far I gave the show 5 but that's certainly not definitive, everything can change (for worse or better).

There's no cheap "shock factor", I can assure you. All the pieces of the puzzle towards the end of the first cour will start coming together and BOOM you'll understand everything that's happening.

I just don't see how the score is going DOWN at this point, the episodes keep getting better.
Apr 16, 2019 4:46 PM

Sep 2015
ycleped said:
shiro_kai said:

There's no cheap "shock factor", I can assure you. All the pieces of the puzzle towards the end of the first cour will start coming together and BOOM you'll understand everything that's happening.

I just don't see how the score is going DOWN at this point, the episodes keep getting better.

The pace is not helping probably. Maybe binging it all togeter in the end will make it better, cause one boring settup episode per week is not what people usually look at when looking for an "entertainment", I think.
Apr 16, 2019 5:12 PM

May 2017
shiro_kai said:

The pace is not helping probably. Maybe binging it all togeter in the end will make it better, cause one boring settup episode per week is not what people usually look at when looking for an "entertainment", I think.

I personally don't see an issue with the pacing.
Apr 16, 2019 7:15 PM

Sep 2015
The only REAL problem of the series is music now and it bothers me because the soundtrack of the game is beautiful. And all the other complaints are the typical complaints that you find in all the series until they end

shiro_kai said:
ycleped said:

That has a trap, I can perfectly have fun playing a Dynasty Warrior and the next day have fun reading 3 hours of Utawarerumono.
Apr 16, 2019 7:41 PM

Jan 2014
So far, I personally really like the vibes I'm getting. Really reminding me of Steins;Gate in terms of tension for me, and it's definitely one of my favorites so far this season.
Apr 17, 2019 12:28 AM

Aug 2013
If the anime is good it will even out once the once who dropped it early no longer have their score counted.

you just need to stop obsessing over it the beginning is really nothing earth shattering to get a high rating at this point.

Also just because the VN was good doesn't mean the anime will be good as well bad VN adaptations are pretty common.
Apr 17, 2019 2:02 AM

Oct 2012
Whiplash93 said:
From a reader of the original VN I see that someone is missing, in general the mood it's less darker and scary, and the music yes, it's not what I expected, but it's not bad for now, I expect to listen more during some climax. In general I'm disappointed about the score on MAL, I hope that it will be higher when next episodes will come out, personally I don't give never a personal score until the anime is finished. For the directing I'm not such an expert to say, but it seems good, it would be nice if they brought the first trailer scene in some of the episodes, that is also the introduction of the VN as we readers know.

so I started watching this and it seems interesting but I found out it's based off a adult vn. was a hentai too. judging by 1st ep mc has been sexually active. wondering if this anime adaptation will cut out the sexual content like anime adaptions like fate stay night grasalia have done...
Apr 17, 2019 2:20 AM

Sep 2018
Whiplash93 said:

I think so, and I'm sad about it, because in the original VN the most times the sexual scenes had context and they were emotionally powerful, really.

I don't know how it is the VN remake or how it will be here, but I hope that it will be worth it!

My visual novel list
https://vndb.org/u152159
Apr 17, 2019 12:34 PM

May 2017
The show just got added to Crunchyroll (well, the US Crunchyroll at least,) so that should bring an influx of viewers which may get a more solid grasp of what the eventual score would be.
Signature:
I prefer comedies, horror, hentai, and combinations of such. Anime with a lack of fan service is a disservice.
Apr 17, 2019 2:43 PM

Oct 2012
sexyzombieroo said:
The show just got added to Crunchyroll (well, the US Crunchyroll at least,) so that should bring an influx of viewers which may get a more solid grasp of what the eventual score would be.

Crunchyroll jsut means more editing low ratings rip.
Apr 19, 2019 9:23 AM

Sep 2014
Nostalgik said:

6.5 is below average on MAL. The average rating for shows on MAL is 6.87 https://graph.anime.plus/s/globals
So yes... 7 is about the average score for a show on MAL.
Apr 19, 2019 10:40 PM

May 2009
ycleped said:
I just gotta say.... What an absolute pleasant surprise this has been! When I originally read the director's thoughts months ago on the show I was prepared for the absolute worst, especially considering the only notable thing he's done is Grimoire of Zero which was a trainwreck.

Why was it a trainwreck?
Apr 20, 2019 6:32 AM

May 2017
bastek66 said:
ycleped said:

Why was it a trainwreck?

I shouldn't call something a trainwreck that I haven't even seen. My apologies.
Apr 20, 2019 3:01 PM
Apr 2019
The soundtrack is disappointing compared to the VN, but I'm expecting the MAL score to pick up dramatically by the last 10 episodes or so... ;)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kono Yo no Hate de Koi wo Utau Shoujo YU-NO Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 30, 2019

137 by RepeaterSiroop »»
Feb 16, 12:25 PM

» About Hatano Kanna (Spoilers)

ginchan789 - Apr 10, 2019

42 by RyuuanLinke »»
Feb 7, 11:09 AM

» This anime is underrated

saikyozero - Apr 1, 2023

8 by ShivamLH »»
Jan 18, 10:50 PM

Poll: » Kono Yo no Hate de Koi wo Utau Shoujo YU-NO Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2019

87 by Ara-Ara_Oneesan »»
Jan 13, 2:27 PM

Poll: » Kono Yo no Hate de Koi wo Utau Shoujo YU-NO Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 2, 2019

245 by alana_alexander »»
May 31, 2023 5:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.