Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 11, 2019 12:10 PM
Aug 2010
The Ishikawa manga adaptation is better, but this does its job well. Obviously low budget visuals but done with tons of style, story that's incredibly bizarre but makes internal sense within its own universe, kickass music and visuals from Giant Robo staff.

Also based on a book that assured that things like Fate and Drifters would exist.
May 19, 2019 10:36 AM
Aug 2010
drayzuh said:
gonna have to second this. i was fucking shocked at how good this OVA is vs what its overall reputation is in the west. its cruel how this was cut so short, when i saw the 'to be continued' on the 2nd episode my jaw literally dropped because i was in disbelief we weren't getting anymore, i was that hooked. id probably like this even more than giant robo had it been completed. oh well

The translated Ken Ishikawa manga adapts the original book from around the point when the anime got canceled - even if it still doesn't cover the whole thing, I hugely recommend it.

Note that in the anime, the reborn Shiro is actually Satan - I haven't read the original book, but I assume this was done to try and abridge the story. In the manga, he's simply one of the dudes who got resurrected, and "Satan" had not been brought back yet.
Jun 25, 2019 8:07 PM

Apr 2018
I'm with you there, @busterbeam.
Going by some of the reviews and opinions on here, i was expecting a nigh-unwatchable dumpster fire. Turns out i actually enjoyed it way more than i expected to.

I mean, yeah, it's really bonkers, nonsensical, over-the-top and gratuitous with its gore; but at the very least it was entertaining (if you're the right kind of audience for this type of show, of course). Artwork, animation and soundtrack were pretty decent, as well. Hell, i even watched it in English dub, and that was ok, too.

Now i'm kind of lamenting that they never made more. With all the crazy shit that went on in these 2 Eps., i would have liked to see what else they could have gotten away with. Definitely a new guilty pleasure for me :)
Jul 1, 2019 12:06 PM
Aug 2010
Stygian_Prisoner said:
I'm with you there, @busterbeam.
Going by some of the reviews and opinions on here, i was expecting a nigh-unwatchable dumpster fire. Turns out i actually enjoyed it way more than i expected to.

I mean, yeah, it's really bonkers, nonsensical, over-the-top and gratuitous with its gore; but at the very least it was entertaining (if you're the right kind of audience for this type of show, of course). Artwork, animation and soundtrack were pretty decent, as well. Hell, i even watched it in English dub, and that was ok, too.

Now i'm kind of lamenting that they never made more. With all the crazy shit that went on in these 2 Eps., i would have liked to see what else they could have gotten away with. Definitely a new guilty pleasure for me :)

Doesn't have to be a 'guilty pleasure'. Japan loves the original Makai Tensho book (which a lot of the crazy stuff came from) and lots of creators were inspired by it.
Dec 14, 2021 3:16 PM
Dec 2019
busterbeam said:
drayzuh said:
gonna have to second this. i was fucking shocked at how good this OVA is vs what its overall reputation is in the west. its cruel how this was cut so short, when i saw the 'to be continued' on the 2nd episode my jaw literally dropped because i was in disbelief we weren't getting anymore, i was that hooked. id probably like this even more than giant robo had it been completed. oh well

The translated Ken Ishikawa manga adapts the original book from around the point when the anime got canceled - even if it still doesn't cover the whole thing, I hugely recommend it.

Note that in the anime, the reborn Shiro is actually Satan - I haven't read the original book, but I assume this was done to try and abridge the story. In the manga, he's simply one of the dudes who got resurrected, and "Satan" had not been brought back yet.

Ken Ishikawa's manga adaptation was actually written in 1986, not 1998. Even though there are many sources, including this site, claiming that he wrote and released the manga around the same time the anime was made, that's a misconception caused by the fact that his manga adaptation was reprinted in 1998. I hope that clears things up.
Oct 8, 2023 7:13 AM
Aug 2010
Reply to johnsonlondon
busterbeam said:
drayzuh said:

Ken Ishikawa's manga adaptation was actually written in 1986, not 1998. Even though there are many sources, including this site, claiming that he wrote and released the manga around the same time the anime was made, that's a misconception caused by the fact that his manga adaptation was reprinted in 1998. I hope that clears things up.
@johnsonlondon yeah I eventually found that out. it DID confuse me at first since his art (while still incredibly badass) looked less technically polished & solid than his earlier 90s stuff so finding out it's 80s makes sense

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ninja Resurrection Episode 2 Discussion

ballistique - Feb 6, 2009

8 by busterbeam »»
Oct 8, 2023 7:14 AM

Poll: » Ninja Resurrection Episode 1 Discussion

ballistique - Feb 6, 2009

8 by Berry-Vodka »»
Jan 1, 2022 10:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.