Forum Settings
Forums

Another Horrendous Anime Translation "Lu Over the Wall" (ENG DUB)

New
Feb 7, 2019 11:53 PM

Sep 2009
I think changing the word from "love" to "like" during the "swings at night" scene and the "love confession" scene disrupts the entire emotional theme of the movie.

Kai's character arc depends on hm honestly expressing his love. When Kai stops short of telling Lu he loves her at the end and instead says he likes her, it shows he hasn't changed. This totally contradicts Kai's epic love ballad he had just sang. It proves he remains reserved and shy.

I've seen and heard many bad translations. This was insanely egregious. To destroy the growth/arc of the protagonist is really dumb.

I understand this stems from the prudish nature of western culture. There seems to be around a seven year age gap. If that were the case then this story is just not compatible with western culture. It should have been avoided if not translated earnestly.

Forgive my rant. I really liked this movie and the English script shat all over the moral of the story. It really bothered me. I just had to shout into the void.

Just to keep a conversation going: Have you seen any DUBs that don't just change a scene but an entire story?
Westside209Feb 7, 2019 11:59 PM

More topics from this board

» Best Trap Character in Anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - 10 minutes ago

4 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
7 seconds ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

34 by logopolis »»
16 seconds ago

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you experience how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 7 hours ago

16 by DigiCat »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 9 hours ago

22 by Chandela »»
6 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

54 by _lordcanti »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.