Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What should Zombieland Saga be rated?
Jan 25, 2019 7:09 AM

Apr 2015
The age rating on here for this show is completely inaccurate. There's only mild swearing, and the majority of the violence is comic/completely bloodless. (The only time I remember seeing blood is when the brief clips from the zombie movies are shown, and even then I think the blood was a different color.)

I think an R rating is too strict and could give people the wrong idea about the show (someone recommended it in a thread for recommendations for preteens earlier and was met with the counterargument that "it's rated R"); as such, it should be changed to PG-13.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jan 25, 2019 2:05 PM

May 2016
Truthfully, yeah it is
Mar 5, 2019 10:06 PM
May 2018
Indeed, the R rating makes no sense. There was hardly any fanservice in it anyways. Expecially for an idol show. Even the hot springs episode was super tame. It may have gotten the R due to the abundant dismemberment and decapitation... but seriously, it wasn't violently graphic, it was supposed to be comedic.
May 6, 2019 11:26 AM
Nov 2010
Dyantier said:
Indeed, the R rating makes no sense. There was hardly any fanservice in it anyways. Expecially for an idol show. Even the hot springs episode was super tame. It may have gotten the R due to the abundant dismemberment and decapitation... but seriously, it wasn't violently graphic, it was supposed to be comedic.

I believe I read somewhere that decapitation and dismemberment (of any kind) is a much stronger cultural taboo in Japan than in the west. Possibly related to the Yakuza's habit of cutting off fingers and to industrial accidents, but it seems to apply to arms or anything else popping off too.

In fact, several US cartoons animated in the "standard" 4-finger style have had a 5th finger painstakingly added in for their Japanese releases in order to pass muster for a rating for the target audience. For more on that, see:
May 6, 2019 3:06 PM
May 2018
[quote=Etceteral]
I believe I read somewhere that decapitation and dismemberment (of any kind) is a much stronger cultural taboo in Japan than in the west. Possibly related to the Yakuza's habit of cutting off fingers and to industrial accidents, but it seems to apply to arms or anything else popping off too.

In fact, several US cartoons animated in the "standard" 4-finger style have had a 5th finger painstakingly added in for their Japanese releases in order to pass muster for a rating for the target audience. For more on that, see:
[y

Wow. That was really interesting. Thanks for the fact. I learned something today. I think I can see why this show ended up with such a harsh rating now.
May 6, 2019 5:58 PM

Apr 2015
Etceteral said:
Dyantier said:

This would be a viable theory if the R rating was applying to the show in Japan, but MAL's ratings are submitted by users, and for the most part from an American perspective.

I've submitted a PG-13 for this show multiple times, but someone at MAL thinks that it needs the R for some reason. It'd be great if they'd come into this thread and explain why.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
May 6, 2019 6:17 PM
Nov 2010
CatSoul said:
This would be a viable theory if the R rating was applying to the show in Japan, but MAL's ratings are submitted by users, and for the most part from an American perspective.

I've submitted a PG-13 for this show multiple times, but someone at MAL thinks that it needs the R for some reason. It'd be great if they'd come into this thread and explain why.

Ahhh, my mistake. Sorry, I misunderstood the premise.

Yes, that is indeed odd IMHO.
Dec 14, 2019 6:10 PM

Nov 2019
Am glad that am not the only one who thinks that the age rating for this anime shouldn't be rated R. Sure the anime has its moments like character's head or a arm pop off, a few creepy moments but nothing too graphic haven't seen any blood or gore at all and that is a good thing. I do agree that the age rating should be more PG-13.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zombieland Saga Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 11, 2018

262 by GavrocheN7 »»
May 8, 9:23 AM

Poll: » Zombieland Saga Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2018

293 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Apr 5, 4:29 PM

Poll: » Zombieland Saga Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 13, 2018

138 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Apr 5, 3:56 PM

Poll: » Zombieland Saga Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2018

117 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Apr 5, 3:27 PM

Poll: » Zombieland Saga Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 22, 2018

378 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Apr 5, 12:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.