Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 13, 2019 2:30 PM

Apr 2013
Hello All!
It appears to me that a new novel has been written. However as a non-Japanese speaker, I would like my Japanese friends here to elaborate. Here's the link:

https://www.shinchosha.co.jp/12kokuki/log/78.html

Hoping for the best of news ^_^
Jan 25, 2019 2:08 PM

May 2008
Napoleon1 said:
Hello All!
It appears to me that a new novel has been written. However as a non-Japanese speaker, I would like my Japanese friends here to elaborate. Here's the link:

https://www.shinchosha.co.jp/12kokuki/log/78.html

Hoping for the best of news ^_^

Well, apparently the new novel will be a continuation of Tasogare no Kishi - Akatsuki no Sora (The Shore in Twilight - The Sky at Daybreak). Which means we might get to see the conclusion of the Taiki storyline at last. If that's not good news, I don't know what it is. :D
Jan 28, 2019 5:58 AM

Apr 2013
Hoping for its translation too
Jan 28, 2019 6:17 AM

Jul 2013
Though I haven't yet read the novels, I'm pleased to know there will be more Twelve kingdoms content for us to enjoy.

Maybe this will finally prompt me to dive into the novels.. perhaps when I finish my current read.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Feb 1, 2019 5:02 AM

Apr 2013
The novels are really good...and they provide more insight to the story
Oct 6, 2019 6:12 AM

Nov 2018
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-12-12/1st-new-twelve-kingdoms-novel-story-in-6-years-slated-for-2019/.140692

Shinchosha's official website for Fuyumi Ono's The Twelve Kingdoms novel series revealed on Wednesday that Ono has finished the first draft for the newest work in the series. The work is slated for 2019. The draft for the "epic" story is 2,500 Japanese manuscript pages long, and it centers on the Kingdom of Tai.
Oct 6, 2019 6:45 AM

May 2018
I'm still waiting for sequel for the anime.
Feb 22, 2020 8:45 AM
Jan 2014
Looks like the story will be set in Tai. I haven't started the second novel series regarding Youko just yet (i hate reading, and reading in english is difficult for a non native speaker like me). Looks like the manuscript was delivered by Fuyumi Ono on 12/12/18 (Twelve Kingdom Day, supposedly). Personally, i'm more like Rakushun, i want to see what kind of kingdom Youko will build over time, and how much she will fulfill the hopes everyone has for her as the Imperial Kei. I'm way more interested in that than in the Tai story.

I love the anime series, which is still number 1 in my list. But it is a rather free adaptation of the novels, which means there is a lot to find in the novels, even if you have watched the anime. There are many differences with the novels. If i were to just point out a few, this would be:

-Youko herself is not exactly the same. She doesn't appear to be as meek as in the anime, probably because she's more cheeky and more of an asshole since the start (though it is conveyed by her inner thoughts), but her character development is probably even greater in the novels, for different reasons.

-Asano does not exist in the books, and Sugimoto only has a tiny role. She never joins Youko past the Shoku, and she appears only once afterwards, when she's interrogated by the Tokyo Police, and Youko spies on her with the sword. That means that Youko actually wanders alone for a very long time, and from that terrible solitude, dark things will be born. Her descent to hell is better reflected in the books because of that. But i guess having just one character wandering alone with no dialogues would have made it hard to translate it in an anime.

-Many secondary characters do not exist in the book. The theatre company is one prime example. Once again, for most of the first arc, Youko struggles alone, until she meets Rakushun. She still meets other secondary characters, but things happen in the different way. I like it better in the books.

-The books are way more violent and gory. Fuyumi Ono does not hesitate to go to great extents to describe the absolute horror Youko goes through, notably when she kills the first Kochou. While in the series she fights random youma from time to time, in the books, she actually spends all her nights besiedged in the moutains by hordes of youma, making for a rather bloody and desperate struggle. Living such a life, the way her character evolves makes even more sense.

-The end of the first arc is even more abrupt in the books. I was looking for more details on how she reclaimed her throne, but there are none. The short stories she wrote afterwards do not give any more hindsight regarding this point. That's probably the only thing i like better in the anime.

-Do not consider what i wrote as being spoilers. These are not. They are just mere examples to help you understand how the story and characters can have a wholly different feel in the books. Each chapter will bring you its share of details and hindsights the anime failed to capture. If anything, watching the anime will help you being familiar with characters and settings, but for me, that's it. I could never say confidently "i watched the anime 2 times already, i know what will happen now". It's not the case, you will always see new and different things, all more accurate and detailed.

The bottom line is that i would recommend reading the books if you liked the anime.
Nox---Feb 22, 2020 8:57 AM
Feb 23, 2020 1:00 AM

Apr 2013
Well, she IS a horror story writer to begin with, so such a theme is natural in her books. But yes, the books take on the story in a very different light, even if the story itself is basically the same
Mar 2, 2020 10:05 AM
Jan 2014
Thanks, you summed up rather well my way too long post :)
Aug 16, 2021 11:31 AM

Aug 2013
Nox--- said:
Looks like the story will be set in Tai. I haven't started the second novel series regarding Youko just yet (i hate reading, and reading in english is difficult for a non native speaker like me). Looks like the manuscript was delivered by Fuyumi Ono on 12/12/18 (Twelve Kingdom Day, supposedly). Personally, i'm more like Rakushun, i want to see what kind of kingdom Youko will build over time, and how much she will fulfill the hopes everyone has for her as the Imperial Kei. I'm way more interested in that than in the Tai story.

I love the anime series, which is still number 1 in my list. But it is a rather free adaptation of the novels, which means there is a lot to find in the novels, even if you have watched the anime. There are many differences with the novels. If i were to just point out a few, this would be:

-Youko herself is not exactly the same. She doesn't appear to be as meek as in the anime, probably because she's more cheeky and more of an asshole since the start (though it is conveyed by her inner thoughts), but her character development is probably even greater in the novels, for different reasons.

-Asano does not exist in the books, and Sugimoto only has a tiny role. She never joins Youko past the Shoku, and she appears only once afterwards, when she's interrogated by the Tokyo Police, and Youko spies on her with the sword. That means that Youko actually wanders alone for a very long time, and from that terrible solitude, dark things will be born. Her descent to hell is better reflected in the books because of that. But i guess having just one character wandering alone with no dialogues would have made it hard to translate it in an anime.

-Many secondary characters do not exist in the book. The theatre company is one prime example. Once again, for most of the first arc, Youko struggles alone, until she meets Rakushun. She still meets other secondary characters, but things happen in the different way. I like it better in the books.

-The books are way more violent and gory. Fuyumi Ono does not hesitate to go to great extents to describe the absolute horror Youko goes through, notably when she kills the first Kochou. While in the series she fights random youma from time to time, in the books, she actually spends all her nights besiedged in the moutains by hordes of youma, making for a rather bloody and desperate struggle. Living such a life, the way her character evolves makes even more sense.

-The end of the first arc is even more abrupt in the books. I was looking for more details on how she reclaimed her throne, but there are none. The short stories she wrote afterwards do not give any more hindsight regarding this point. That's probably the only thing i like better in the anime.

-Do not consider what i wrote as being spoilers. These are not. They are just mere examples to help you understand how the story and characters can have a wholly different feel in the books. Each chapter will bring you its share of details and hindsights the anime failed to capture. If anything, watching the anime will help you being familiar with characters and settings, but for me, that's it. I could never say confidently "i watched the anime 2 times already, i know what will happen now". It's not the case, you will always see new and different things, all more accurate and detailed.

The bottom line is that i would recommend reading the books if you liked the anime.

if only it was edited in english, I really wanted to read it... Thanks for all those explanation tho, maybe one day we'll get to read it
Aug 16, 2021 12:24 PM

Apr 2013
As a matter of fact, it is translated in English by a guy named Eugene Woodbury. The latest book is half complete, I reckon.
Aug 17, 2021 8:11 AM
Jan 2014
Napoleon1 said:
As a matter of fact, it is translated in English by a guy named Eugene Woodbury. The latest book is half complete, I reckon.

Yes, he is a writer himself and posted almost all the series on his blog, translated in english, accessible for free. I consider that to be a tremendous chance, from a guy i respect a lot (even though he is american :p), since his writing and translating work are top-notch, and seemingly way above the old Tokyopop translations, that stopped being edited long ago. He made a great service to this world by spreading the news about a seriously great fantasy novel series. It is a lot of work, and his commitment to sharing culture we would never be able to see otherwise, on top of his vast respect and mastery of the english language, are the feats of a great man (yeah, it is rare i shower people with praise that much).
Nox---Aug 17, 2021 8:19 AM
Nov 25, 2021 5:20 AM

Apr 2009
I'm reading the novels in Japanese and I can tell you that it's a huge pain the *** to read it even with JLPT N! once they start talking about kingdoms' political situations. But this is so incredibly interesting. This is the only book/series in my life I wish I could experience reading for the first time again to feel all that excitement of discovering it. This is a true masterpiece.
Sig Removed. Hosting site unavailable and giving fall virus readings
Nov 25, 2021 10:42 AM

Apr 2013
I'm just waiting for its English version to end. It'll take some time, but will definitely be worth the wait.
Nov 26, 2021 1:47 PM
Jan 2014
Nuage said:
if only it was edited in english, I really wanted to read it... Thanks for all those explanation tho, maybe one day we'll get to read it

I just checked, the last part is called "Hills of Silver Ruins" and he has translated Book I and II, currently translating Book III (out of IV). If you want to read those in english, definitely go there.

Et pour le français (étant donné que tu sembles français), j'en ai aucune idée ^^. Va falloir se fader le truc avec le sous dialecte du briton :)
Jun 7, 2022 12:10 AM

Feb 2021
Nox--- said:
Nuage said:

I just checked, the last part is called "Hills of Silver Ruins" and he has translated Book I and II, currently translating Book III (out of IV). If you want to read those in english, definitely go there.

Et pour le français (étant donné que tu sembles français), j'en ai aucune idée ^^. Va falloir se fader le truc avec le sous dialecte du briton :)

Thank you so much for sharing it with us!
Jun 17, 2022 3:07 AM
Jan 2014
-Raynor said:

Well, he is the one sharing things with us. I am only making sure people interested in it are aware of it. He is the one who should be thanked.
Jun 17, 2022 5:11 AM

Feb 2021
Nox--- said:
-Raynor said:

Well, he is the one sharing things with us. I am only making sure people interested in it are aware of it. He is the one who should be thanked.

Ok, I understand.

More topics from this board

» Question regard about the LN

MibuKyou - Nov 22, 2022

1 by Ellysea »»
Jan 18, 2023 7:27 PM

» Where to start after finishing the anime?

Zech55555 - May 16, 2022

2 by Memore »»
Jun 7, 2022 12:09 AM

» How much does the novel expand on the story?

Fuchsia - Dec 13, 2017

3 by Memore »»
Jun 7, 2022 12:07 AM

» Did the "Juuni Kokuki" Light Novel series end, or is it still ongoing?

Kuandohan - Oct 2, 2013

16 by Memore »»
Jun 7, 2022 12:01 AM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Chapter 7 Discussion

lpf - Feb 19, 2012

4 by lpf »»
Jul 29, 2020 10:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.