Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 12, 2019 4:25 AM

Apr 2012
After watching the first 3 episodes; the way they sequenced the flow of telling the story reminded me of Kara no kyoukai. I like how the story unravels with this kind of method.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Jan 13, 2019 10:43 AM

Aug 2018
I like it too, but it seems hard to follow for most people (at least in the west). Lot of complains about how "confusing" it is even tho everything is explained in due time.

I think this is actually easy to follow compared to Kara no kyoukai tho, at least so far. The 3 episode were about the same arc, instead Kara mixed arcs in a pretty random way.
Jan 14, 2019 9:34 AM
Jun 2009
I didn't think of that first but I can see that. It's that non linear storytelling. Boogiepop is really cool, but it seems like people don't like the complex type anime as much. The exception I guess is serial experiments lain, but I honestly like boogiepop more. Never read the light novels, but I watched the original anime and I remember looked up the rest of the story because the original leaves a lot missing.
Jan 14, 2019 1:04 PM
Sep 2016
It’s not just the non-linearity; it’s the musical choices, the subtle facial expressions and calmness of it all, and the way that it generally avoids all of the terribly childish and cliche tropes that most modern anime hold dear.

The reason I loved Kara No Kyoukai, and already love this show, is because I can show it to people who love independent cinema and more adult oriented art, and they will still be able to appreciate the shots, the way scenes are cut off, and the general aura of the production.

This is art, most anime is not.
Jan 17, 2019 9:45 AM
Jan 2019
It should be expressed as "Kara no kyoukai feels like it". Kara no kyoukai was inspired by Boogiepop series.
Jan 17, 2019 9:49 AM
Jan 2019
mikedrums said:
I didn't think of that first but I can see that. It's that non linear storytelling. Boogiepop is really cool, but it seems like people don't like the complex type anime as much. The exception I guess is serial experiments lain, but I honestly like boogiepop more. Never read the light novels, but I watched the original anime and I remember looked up the rest of the story because the original leaves a lot missing.

I don't think people don't like it. The original novel series has continued for almost 21 years and still popular among readers now. That's the reason why investors (including KADOKAWA) has the confidence to animate it.
Jan 17, 2019 10:10 AM
Jan 2019
Ketamigo said:
It’s not just the non-linearity; it’s the musical choices, the subtle facial expressions and calmness of it all, and the way that it generally avoids all of the terribly childish and cliche tropes that most modern anime hold dear.

The reason I loved Kara No Kyoukai, and already love this show, is because I can show it to people who love independent cinema and more adult oriented art, and they will still be able to appreciate the shots, the way scenes are cut off, and the general aura of the production.

This is art, most anime is not.

Compared to original novel or the previous 2000 animation "Boogiepop Phantom", the new version is mediocre. To compress the first volume into 3 episodes (you can see from PV that episode 4 has entered volume 2), staff has to accelerate the narrative and skip over subtle details which is charming and attractive. Cuz anime is just an advert of novel it's FINE.

Still, people can see in terms of shifting POV, Boogiepop Phantom performs better than new version. That's why new version is easier to understand (at least characters appear in direct connection with each threaded story). Not mention the cult & art style of Boogiepop Phantom.

In new version Kei always holds smile. In fact she's more like a cute, conscientious, reliable girl who show more of earnest expressions.

Jan 17, 2019 1:18 PM
Jun 2009
RyuguRena said:
mikedrums said:

I don't think people don't like it. The original novel series has continued for almost 21 years and still popular among readers now. That's the reason why investors (including KADOKAWA) has the confidence to animate it.

That is true. Honestly wasn't sure how much of a following it had because I rarely seem to see it mentioned whether it's the light novels or the 2000 anime. I mostly meant average or casual anime fans who may see this as one of the early releases of the year and don't know anything of the past of the series may get confused or not like the style and impulsively drop it or rate it low.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2019

104 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 17 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2019

45 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 8:51 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 16 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2019

32 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 15 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 8, 2019

43 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 4:51 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 14 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 1, 2019

42 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 2:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.