Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 16, 2019 9:28 AM

Jan 2015
EpsilonX said:
KreatorX said:
Just check it out man, seeing how you have no idea about the series. The story isn't even complete either and no one can judge it from one episode alone.

At first glance, there's almost nothing unique about the series. it just looks run of the mill and generic. Yet it has a ton of people talking about it. Is this series noteworthy in some way? Was there a lot of hype for it? Or was it simply one of the most enjoyable first episodes of this season? My curiosity has been piqued.

not just at first glance, there IS NOTHING unique about this garbage
Jan 16, 2019 1:44 PM

Dec 2013
KreatorX said:
However, stretching a piece of unreal media (cannot emphasize any more on this) into normalizing things in real world isn't healthy criticism, because the very premise lies on being unable to discern between fact and fiction. Normalizing implies that everyone or an overwhelming majority fails at this basic task.

I can agree with the most of your post, however, this is obvious an exaggeration on your part. Normalization isn't the kind of slippery slope argument that either it does absolutely nothing or or seeing it brainwashes you completely. Naturally, the real world is not black-and-white like that. Normalization in media contributes to how we view the real world.

It's the same thing as with brand advertising where they don't directly tell you to buy the product but simply associate it with positive images. Obviously it is effective which is why companies spend so much money on it. The difference here is mainly that I don't believe TateYuu does it intentionally, however, it is distasteful regardless.
Jan 16, 2019 2:10 PM

May 2013
NthDegree said:
KreatorX said:
However, stretching a piece of unreal media (cannot emphasize any more on this) into normalizing things in real world isn't healthy criticism, because the very premise lies on being unable to discern between fact and fiction. Normalizing implies that everyone or an overwhelming majority fails at this basic task.

I can agree with the most of your post, however, this is obvious an exaggeration on your part. Normalization isn't the kind of slippery slope argument that either it does absolutely nothing or or seeing it brainwashes you completely. Naturally, the real world is not black-and-white like that. Normalization in media contributes to how we view the real world.

It's the same thing as with brand advertising where they don't directly tell you to buy the product but simply associate it with positive images. Obviously it is effective which is why companies spend so much money on it. The difference here is mainly that I don't believe TateYuu does it intentionally, however, it is distasteful regardless.

Fair point, however my comment was concerning the slavery elements. Ofcourse, an exaggeration on my part lies on the blind faith I put into people that they are capable of critical thinking regarding what is shown in fiction, atleast within the population that watches anime. There is a justifiable suspension of disbelief a human employs when watching fiction. It indeed isn't a black-and-white way of looking at things.

Which is why I had asked earlier, for which group of people does this 'normalization' contribute to how they view the world, knowing that it is dealing with something like slavery. Is this group a large subset of the population, enough to cause a shift in thinking? It surely won't start normalizing in your worldview, nor will it do the the same in mine. I am trying to restrict this discussion to fiction only.

Whether something is distasteful or not is beyond the discussion. As for me, I find the slavery motif needless in the story but that is besides the point too.

I believe the whole point has turned into a "what things allowed in fiction can be called acceptable or not".

It's like violence in video games has been "normalized" so we are comfortable with killing off fictional characters but know enough to draw the line in real world since it is unethical doing the same to other real people, as suspension of disbelief has been employed when playing those games. In the same vein, criticizing the senseless violence without repercussion found in games like CoD, CS:GO and GTA V (where you get cash or power-ups on killing people) doesn't contribute much since the entire idea will still remain as fiction.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Jan 16, 2019 2:22 PM

Jun 2015
After 2018, I ain't trusting the most popular shows ever again.
I-I mean, I'm delighted that gems such as darling in my ass, budget slayer, and budget girl senpai made their way into my life last year :)
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2019

242 by SanessyAdversary »»
54 minutes ago

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2019

271 by Der_Body »»
Today, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2019

169 by SanessyAdversary »»
Today, 8:10 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2019

195 by SanessyAdversary »»
Today, 7:56 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 29, 2019

428 by SanessyAdversary »»
Today, 1:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.