Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 8, 2018 11:58 AM

Nov 2017
So for as long as I've used MAL, I've always had an excel spreadsheet with pretty much the same function.

How it works is, for every entry:

Entry time = MAL Episode Duration * #Episodes

For a long time, this system has worked very well. However, now that I've seen a significant amount of anime, these no longer add up.

Though the difference is small (<2%), it's an eyesore when it comes to maintaining consistent databases.

So I did an experiment with a test account (feel free to verify) and came to these results:

With only 22.4 days, already a difference in 0.3 days (1.44%).

This makes me believe MAL doesn't actually calculate time spent using the durations they provide.

I'm sure this seems like a nitpick, but I'd appreciate it if either:

• A - MAL were to correctly display the durations of their entries;
  • B - MAL were to calculate using the durations they provide;

Thanks for reading.
jogsosogNov 8, 2018 2:05 PM
Nov 8, 2018 10:22 PM

Oct 2014
When adding or editing a MAL entry one is given the option (or job) to input the time in the format of HH:MM:SS. This time is used for calculating the time spent on anime, however on the anime's page the episode length will omit the seconds section of the duration unless the episodes are under 1 minute in length.

If you look in your list and bring up the extra information on the anime it will tell you the full length it's calculating with. For example, Gintama is listed as being 24 minutes per episode on its page but it's calculating it as being 24 minutes and 54 seconds per episode, which is almost an entire minute extra. Multiplied by 201 episodes this is giving a equivalent of nearly 8 extra episodes of time.

I would appreciate it if MAL would list the seconds as well, especially for shorter anime. If an anime is listed as 3 minutes but it's actually 3 minutes and 30 seconds per episode that's a pretty significant percentage difference. Even in full length series it will make a difference since it always truncates rather than rounding.
Nov 9, 2018 4:43 AM

Nov 2017
Thanks for the help.

However, is there any easier way to display this information?

Like displaying it on the list or setting it to HH:MM:SS by defaut?

Anything would help, really, as I have ~400 entries to update.
Nov 10, 2018 12:44 PM

Jun 2017
I think MAL just cuts or rounds the total days to 1 decimal digits (sorry for bad English if I'm wrong)
Nov 12, 2018 10:07 AM

Nov 2017
On a separate note, how does MAL calculate the time yoy spend reading manga? They don't display anything whatsoever regarding chapter duration. Do they just assume you take a certain amount of time regardless?
Nov 12, 2018 12:51 PM

Apr 2014
jogsosog said:
On a separate note, how does MAL calculate the time yoy spend reading manga? They don't display anything whatsoever regarding chapter duration. Do they just assume you take a certain amount of time regardless?

yeah they just assume it takes 8 minutes to read a chapter regardless of the actual chapter length. each volume is assumed to be 1.2 hours

from what i remember two scores are calculated, one that figures out the time by using the chapter count, and another for the volume count, and the higher one is taken into consideration.

lets assume a manga you completed has 10 chapters in 2 volumes.
10 chapters by (8 minutes per chapter)= 80 minutes.
2 volumes by (1.2 hours per volume)= 2.4 hours = 144 minutes.
therefore mal will add 144 minutes to your list and forget the 80 minute calculation happened

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3372 by Hioaja »»
27 minutes ago

» I can't use forums using Windows High Contrast anymore

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

5 by vasipi4946 »»
3 hours ago

» [Reported] Username being auto-pasted into search bar

DariTheWeeb - Feb 19

49 by DeadPiles »»
Yesterday, 6:03 PM

» IP ban glitch?

AverageRiceFan - Apr 21

2 by hich4n_ »»
Yesterday, 12:15 PM

» ishinashi has 300 alt accounts and counting ( 1 2 3 )

deg - Jun 16, 2023

127 by Spunkert »»
Yesterday, 6:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.