Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Skull-face Bookseller Honda-san
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 8, 2018 11:18 AM

Jun 2014
I heard that Honda is supposed to be female in the source material, sicnce that's the author's gender and the protagonist is based on herself, and story is based on her/his experience. Though I can't find any solid evidence to back any of these up. Dose anyone have any source that can either prove or disprove this?

And I must say, this information actually contextualized lots of the plot differently.
And actually made some of them making more sense then they did without this information.

For example: In episode 1 when the fat white guy asked for a lot of mangas at once, it was the white guy carrying all the books himself, when normally the clerks will be doing that for the customers.

Nov 8, 2018 12:52 PM

Nov 2011
according to an interview with anime anime news:
私の分身である主人公をガイコツにしたことに対して、「死後の世界に興味あるの?」と良く言われるんですが、そこまで深く考えていなくて、単純に子どもの頃からモチーフとして好きだっただけです(笑)。

https://animeanime.jp/article/2018/10/07/40623.html

which could be translated as:
i'm often asked if im interested in the afterlife because i made the protagonist, which is my other self, a skeleton, but i didnt think that deeply. i simply liked (skeletons) as a motif ever since i was a kid. *laughs*

no clear answer on the protagonist gender. at most, she said the protagonist represents her "other self", but that alone doesnt mean the protagonist was meant to be female.

edit: wait, i was assuming the author was female. maybe it's a male author - though that doesnt change my point above. reading the preview, and the protagonist way of speaking seems consistent with that of a male speaker. no rosy feminine sentence enders, and the protagonist at one point in the first few pages say something you would expect from a male otaku: "i wonder what's airing this season.. could it be that series about cute girls gakkougu○shi?"
DreamingBeatsNov 8, 2018 1:24 PM
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Dec 4, 2018 11:42 AM

May 2016
How is Honda female in the manga, but he sounds like a dude O____O
Dec 5, 2018 7:35 AM

Jun 2014
Helios92 said:
How is Honda female in the manga, but he sounds like a dude O____O

the rumour is that they changed it, for reasons, maybe to protect the author or something.
but again, I can't find anything to prove or disprove any of it, that's why I was asking about it at the first place.
garyborkenDec 5, 2018 8:06 AM
Mar 23, 2020 11:06 AM

Jun 2014
I know this is basically necroposting, but I have the answer now:
Honda is definitely female in the manga.
here are pages from the free to read version on Pixiv Comic: https://comic.pixiv.net/works/1764

In the first one the fat white guy said it's okay he can carry it himself, that'd b too heavy for a woman.

In the second one, Honda is the "older sister"
So yea, without a doubt.
I feel stupid that the answer was right there in the manga the entire time.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gaikotsu Shotenin Honda-san Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2018

101 by CDHP »»
Jan 6, 12:48 AM

Poll: » Gaikotsu Shotenin Honda-san Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 21, 2018

36 by snowykevin »»
Aug 6, 2023 9:39 PM

Poll: » Gaikotsu Shotenin Honda-san Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2018

42 by Occupyingmyeyes »»
Jun 20, 2023 6:43 PM

Poll: » Gaikotsu Shotenin Honda-san Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2018

23 by kihel »»
Apr 20, 2023 9:08 PM

Poll: » Gaikotsu Shotenin Honda-san Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2018

22 by kihel »»
Apr 20, 2023 9:05 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.