Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Happy Sugar Life
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 5, 2018 2:31 AM
Jun 2016
I hated the ending of Happy Sugar Life, and judging by how rushed it feels, I am assuming it's anime original.

Everyone I've come across (none of whom, to my knowledge, has read the manga) seems to be in agreement but just to be absolutely sure ... THIS IS ANIME ORIGINAL RIGHT?

I don't want to go into the manga and get this garbage 25-ish chapters in.

Also, I'd like to elaborate on the "hated the ending" part, because it took this anime from my favourites to a 7/10 (Going from 4th place to 152nd place, out of 420 scored anime) even though I was fully expecting the ending to suck. That's the calibre to which I hated the ending.

While I'm here, I might as-well make the recommendation to anyone watching this series to stop 10 episodes in. That'd definitely be for the best.
Tenderizer79Oct 8, 2018 2:34 AM
Oct 5, 2018 1:30 PM

Jan 2018
Well, nobody knows whether it was for sure an anime original ending or not, because the manga hasn't kept up past the 11th anime episode. Also, if you didn't know, the part in the first episode with Satou and Shiro standing on top of the building with all the fire wasn't actually in the manga. So the manga could actually take a different route after the next chapter if no foreshadowing was involved apart from in the anime. I guess we will see what happens, I think the next chapter (41) will be out this month hopefully...

I totally feel you though. The ending left me completely empty since I didn't expect those events to happen, but we just have to see what the author plans on doing...

So yeah... basically to summarize, the anime has gone further than the manga, possibly because the author told them to go with that ending? But we still never know if that same ending will be in the manga or if there are different plans to keep it going...
Oct 8, 2018 2:25 AM
Sep 2016
Probably an anime original, that end was good i think, it would have been even better if the 2 of them had died, but i think that sort of distorded happy ending was really fitting the show.
Oct 8, 2018 2:48 AM
Jun 2016
Oriotiar said:
It would have been even better if the 2 of them had died
I think the opposite, if both of them died it'd be even worse.

1. Satou comes off as a very smart character, so having her die as the result of an utterly absurd coincidence is very dissatisfying.
2. The entirety of the last episode is just incredibly messy.
3. What exactly is the "best case scenario"? Shio and Satou can't keep up the charade forever, so there's nothing really to be lost by either of their deaths. The ideal ending would be an ambiguous one, one which avoids these questions.
4. This show isn't grounded enough to be tragic.
5. This clearly isn't meant to be where it actually ends.

If it had an "end in the middle" ending, I'd be more satisfied. At least then it wouldn't interfere with the enjoy-ability of everything which comes before.

This is one of the few shows where I genuinely felt the tension, because Satou could always be emotionally hurt without dying. Having her die so casually calls into question my anxiety as to whether she'd be hurt.

If they couldn't keep everyone alive at the end, they at least could've killed off Shio instead of Satou (and do it in a more competent way). Killing off Shio would give me some kind of closure, as it would feel as though the ending was related to the earlier episodes and it'd make the ending actually emotional because the impact on Satou would be the source of the emotion.
Tenderizer79Oct 8, 2018 2:51 AM
Oct 8, 2018 3:13 AM
Sep 2016
Tenderizer17 said:

1. Satou comes off as a very smart character, so having her die as the result of an utterly absurd coincidence is very dissatisfying.
2. The entirety of the last episode is just incredibly messy.
3. What exactly is the "best case scenario"? Shio and Satou can't keep up the charade forever, so there's nothing really to be lost by either of their deaths. The ideal ending would be an ambiguous one, one which avoids these questions.
4. This show isn't grounded enough to be tragic.

1. She was clever, but she make mistake, even before that: she kill without taking care of witness, never wear glove, at time isn't able to control herself.
2. Didn't feel that way to me. The last part, when they go back to the building, sure, it was messy but that because they're not following the plan anymore.
3. I don't really see what is an ambiguous ending for you ?
I think the best end for them was dying, because both of them aknowledge that they love each other more than anything, and that after the whole incident they won't be able to be together, so it best to died now while they're together.
4. It's not a tragic end, the whole show was about Satou distorded love and view on the world, and for her, dying with the person she love is a happy ending (at least before she realise that she has other fealing beside love for Shio), so i think that end was a happy ending. With Satou happy, and Shio kind of sad but stoping to just be a cute little and starting her own obsession.

I feel like an end in the middle would have been the worst, cause that show would probably not had a s2, and that the kind of story that need an end, show based on tension can't just leave the end to the viewer imagination.
Oct 8, 2018 3:34 AM
Jun 2016
Oriotiar said:
1. She was clever, but she make mistake, even before that: she kill without taking care of witness, never wear glove, at time isn't able to control herself.
2. Didn't feel that way to me. The last part, when they go back to the building, sure, it was messy but that because they're not following the plan anymore.
I think the best end for them was dying, because both of them aknowledge that they love each other more than anything, and that after the whole incident they won't be able to be together, so it best to died now while they're together.
4. It's not a tragic end, the whole show was about Satou distorded love and view on the world, and for her, dying with the person she love is a happy ending (at least before she realise that she has other fealing beside love for Shio), so i think that end was a happy ending. With Satou happy, and Shio kind of sad but stoping to just be a cute little and starting her own obsession.

I feel like an end in the middle would have been the worst, cause that show would probably not had a s2, and that the kind of story that need an end, show based on tension can't just leave the end to the viewer imagination.

1. Her murders never have witnesses, she never leaves any connection between her fingerprints and the crime and her being unable to control herself at times is her weakness. However, all that's irrelevant because like I said, she's smart (whether infallible or not) and that makes it feel really cheap when she dies because of a coincidence.
2. It wasn't messy from an events POV, it's messy from a writing POV. All the plot threads are wrapped up hastily and poorly.
3. They were literally steps away from being together, the only thing that was really changed by them going back is that Asahi knows about the murder. Shio said she wants to stay with Satou, so perhaps it's safe to assume Asahi would keep quiet about it for at least a bit, long enough for them to get to the other end of the country. The ambiguity comes from the fact that they're still going to be subject to conflict. Perhaps the final scene would be them riding on a train together leaving town, insert some sweet dialogue and you're all set. That's the ambiguous ending I was hoping for.
4. The ending wasn't a happy ending. It wasn't a tragic ending either, it was kind of just ... I guess "obligatory ending" was what it felt like. An ending that exists solely to be dramatic. Dying with the person she loves isn't Satou's happy ending. Satou has a distorted view of love, but it's not one that would lead her to want to die with Shio. She values time together with Shio more than anything, her happiness is to be with Shio. To say "Dying with the person she loves is a happy ending" is a deliberate, inexplicable alteration of Satou's character for the sake of convenience.

An "end in the middle" approach would be a massive improvement on what we got. You can't have a drama with stakes worth caring about, and then casually dismiss those with a rushed ending. I would actually call an "end in the middle" ending a happy ending in this case. Satou's happiness is to be with Shio, so an ending where she's with Shio, even if they're still in danger, is a happy ending.
Oct 8, 2018 4:10 AM
Sep 2016
Tenderizer17 said:
Oriotiar said:

1. Her murders never have witnesses, she never leaves any connection between her fingerprints and the crime and her being unable to control herself at times is her weakness. However, all that's irrelevant because like I said, she's smart (whether infallible or not) and that makes it feel really cheap when she dies because of a coincidence.
2. It wasn't messy from an events POV, it's messy from a writing POV. All the plot threads are wrapped up hastily and poorly.
3. They were literally steps away from being together, the only thing that was really changed by them going back is that Asahi knows about the murder. Shio said she wants to stay with Satou, so perhaps it's safe to assume Asahi would keep quiet about it for at least a bit, long enough for them to get to the other end of the country. The ambiguity comes from the fact that they're still going to be subject to conflict. Perhaps the final scene would be them riding on a train together leaving town, insert some sweet dialogue and you're all set. That's the ambiguous ending I was hoping for.
4. The ending wasn't a happy ending. It wasn't a tragic ending either, it was kind of just ... I guess "obligatory ending" was what it felt like. An ending that exists solely to be dramatic. Dying with the person she loves isn't Satou's happy ending. Satou has a distorted view of love, but it's not one that would lead her to want to die with Shio. She values time together with Shio more than anything, her happiness is to be with Shio. To say "Dying with the person she loves is a happy ending" is a deliberate, inexplicable alteration of Satou's character for the sake of convenience.

An "end in the middle" approach would be a massive improvement on what we got. You can't have a drama with stakes worth caring about, and then casually dismiss those with a rushed ending. I would actually call an "end in the middle" ending a happy ending in this case. Satou's happiness is to be with Shio, so an ending where she's with Shio, even if they're still in danger, is a happy ending.

She leave a witness the blond boy, he was out during the murder but saw her leaving the parc, she could have easly kill him while she was kill the 2 other. She didn't leave connection but it's never a good idea too let fingerprint allover the place even more when you're commiting multiple murder and know that some people (here the teacher) know that you're killing people.
Coincidence are what lead many real life killer to their downfall, luck is an important parameter.

Don't see what you find messy, we already know that her friend was suspecting her and that asahi was suspecting the blond boy. The part with her friend being here just at the right moment is a little forced but far from unbelivable.

The fact that she choose Satou over her brother who was shearching for her, and more importantly declare that all by herself after reflecting on the situation, was a huge step in their relationship, because before that Shio was kind to everyone and her respond were more affection (like between mother and child) than love between lover.
Asahi wasn't the sole problem the police would probably had come in.
But i agree that ending with the train would also had be good.

I continue to think that's a happy ending, true in other circonstances Satou would had do her best to live with Shio. But here it's dubious do think she could escape, she is a yandere not a super human. So being happy to died with her love one in that situation feel totaly in characters, even more when Shio is the one proposing it , echoing with the vow they make thougthout the serie.

Now that i see what you mean by an end in the middle, ok , i can agree that an end were she didn't forget the ring and safely take the plane, would also have been nice. Notheless i prefer that end, wich i continue to think fit more the tone and themes of the serie.
Oct 8, 2018 6:18 AM
Jun 2016
Oriotiar said:
I prefer that end, which i continue to think fit more the tone and themes of the series.
You say the ending fits with the tone and themes of the series, but I think it does neither.

The tone of Happy Sugar Life is a mix between to Another and Death Note. The final episode is also a mix of the final episode of each. The final episode of Death Note works because the world is the focus of the narrative, whereas in Happy Sugar Life the characters are. In Death Note the world still exists at the end of the narrative, in Happy Sugar Life the characters SHOULD still exist at the end of the narrative. That wasn't related to the tone at all, so tone of Happy Sugar Life is ... it's really had to define an anime's tone. The tone of Happy Sugar Life is ........................ "grounded murderous pseudo-romance about twisted personalities". That works. So the tone of "grounded murderous pseudo-romance about twisted personalities" is undermined by everything going down in a big spectacular fire. It's more typical of the series for Satou to make small tweaks to the world at a time, and burning everything at once is like going from the first to last episode of Gurren Lagann without any of the episodes inbetween. It's a drastic tone shift. Tone shifts can be drastic, but only if there are smaller shifts in tone throughout. The tone of Happy Sugar Life is pretty consistent.

The themes of Happy Sugar Life are another area which I'll have difficulty to define (since I'm not good at analysing the themes of anime). I can't actually figure out what the themes are. Please tell me (and if you just say "love" I won't accept that answer, "love" isn't a theme, it's a ... genre). What does it say thematically for her death to be because of her sentimentality? What does it say thematically for it to not work out between her and Shio? For the latter, is says "don't be a yandere". For the former, it says "don't be sentimental"? I'm sorry, but I just don't get what this show is trying to say. It doesn't need to say anything, but if you insist it has themes, they're themes I can't identify.

Oriotiar said:
She leave a witness the blond boy, he was out during the murder but saw her leaving the parc, she could have easly kill him while she was kill the 2 other. She didn't leave connection but it's never a good idea too let fingerprint allover the place even more when you're commiting multiple murder and know that some people (here the teacher) know that you're killing people.
Coincidence are what lead many real life killer to their downfall, luck is an important parameter.
I see what you mean. I assumed you meant witnesses to the murders, not the kidnapping. Still, that wasn't an error in judgement, leaving him alive in that moment was the correct decision. Killing him there would've been a problem.

I'm pretty sure Satou didn't kill the thugs, just removed their eyes (unless I'm mistaken). Where did the bodies go if they were killed?

Coincidence lead real life killers to their downfall, but a coincidence isn't necessarily this convenient and dramatic.

Oriotiar said:
Don't see what you find messy, we already know that her friend was suspecting her and that asahi was suspecting the blond boy. The part with her friend being here just at the right moment is a little forced but far from unbelivable.
Damn, this is going to be really difficult to get across.

To start with, Satou and Shio jumping off the building is a messy ending. The kind of ending that says "everything before this didn't really matter". Asahi gets convinced to let Shio live with Satou way too quickly. The teacher gets arrested despite their being no evidence against him.

I give up trying to explain this, trying to remember details about that travesty of an episode is torture.

Oriotiar said:
The fact that she choose Satou over her brother who was shearching for her, and more importantly declare that all by herself after reflecting on the situation, was a huge step in their relationship, because before that Shio was kind to everyone and her respond were more affection (like between mother and child) than love between lover.
That character development means nothing with Satou's death immediately following. The police wouldn't have come in, since the fire's still burning. "I can agree than an end where she didn't forget the ring and safely took the train, would also have been nice": "also" doesn't belong in that sentence.

Oriotiar said:
I continue to think that's a happy ending, true in other circonstances Satou would had do her best to live with Shio. But here it's dubious do think she could escape, she is a yandere not a super human. So being happy to died with her love one in that situation feel totaly in characters, even more when Shio is the one proposing it , echoing with the vow they make thougthout the serie.
She isn't a superhuman, but she's a competent human being. Escaping that situation is entirely plausible. A true ending in line with the characters, is one where Satou would desperately search for a way to protect Shio. Shio hasn't developed so far as to suggest they die together, and Satou is clearly not the type to abandon all hope.

Also, lets not forget the fact that Asahi left Shio for dead.

Last Minute Comment: I'm sorry if my arguments are poor, I'll correct them if necessary.

Anyway, I think I've got a step closer to figuring out the themes of Happy Sugar Life "love is selfishness" is probably the best starting point for figuring this all out.
Oct 9, 2018 4:46 AM
Sep 2016
Tenderizer17 said:
Oriotiar said:
I prefer that end, which i continue to think fit more the tone and themes of the series.
You say the ending fits with the tone and themes of the series, but I think it does neither.

The tone of Happy Sugar Life is a mix between to Another and Death Note. The final episode is also a mix of the final episode of each. The final episode of Death Note works because the world is the focus of the narrative, whereas in Happy Sugar Life the characters are. In Death Note the world still exists at the end of the narrative, in Happy Sugar Life the characters SHOULD still exist at the end of the narrative. That wasn't related to the tone at all, so tone of Happy Sugar Life is ... it's really had to define an anime's tone. The tone of Happy Sugar Life is ........................ "grounded murderous pseudo-romance about twisted personalities". That works. So the tone of "grounded murderous pseudo-romance about twisted personalities" is undermined by everything going down in a big spectacular fire. It's more typical of the series for Satou to make small tweaks to the world at a time, and burning everything at once is like going from the first to last episode of Gurren Lagann without any of the episodes inbetween. It's a drastic tone shift. Tone shifts can be drastic, but only if there are smaller shifts in tone throughout. The tone of Happy Sugar Life is pretty consistent.

The themes of Happy Sugar Life are another area which I'll have difficulty to define (since I'm not good at analysing the themes of anime). I can't actually figure out what the themes are. Please tell me (and if you just say "love" I won't accept that answer, "love" isn't a theme, it's a ... genre). What does it say thematically for her death to be because of her sentimentality? What does it say thematically for it to not work out between her and Shio? For the latter, is says "don't be a yandere". For the former, it says "don't be sentimental"? I'm sorry, but I just don't get what this show is trying to say. It doesn't need to say anything, but if you insist it has themes, they're themes I can't identify.

Oriotiar said:
I see what you mean. I assumed you meant witnesses to the murders, not the kidnapping. Still, that wasn't an error in judgement, leaving him alive in that moment was the correct decision. Killing him there would've been a problem.

I'm pretty sure Satou didn't kill the thugs, just removed their eyes (unless I'm mistaken). Where did the bodies go if they were killed?

Coincidence lead real life killers to their downfall, but a coincidence isn't necessarily this convenient and dramatic.

Oriotiar said:
Damn, this is going to be really difficult to get across.

To start with, Satou and Shio jumping off the building is a messy ending. The kind of ending that says "everything before this didn't really matter". Asahi gets convinced to let Shio live with Satou way too quickly. The teacher gets arrested despite their being no evidence against him.

I give up trying to explain this, trying to remember details about that travesty of an episode is torture.

Oriotiar said:
That character development means nothing with Satou's death immediately following. The police wouldn't have come in, since the fire's still burning. "I can agree than an end where she didn't forget the ring and safely took the train, would also have been nice": "also" doesn't belong in that sentence.

Oriotiar said:
She isn't a superhuman, but she's a competent human being. Escaping that situation is entirely plausible. A true ending in line with the characters, is one where Satou would desperately search for a way to protect Shio. Shio hasn't developed so far as to suggest they die together, and Satou is clearly not the type to abandon all hope.

Also, lets not forget the fact that Asahi left Shio for dead.

Last Minute Comment: I'm sorry if my arguments are poor, I'll correct them if necessary.

Anyway, I think I've got a step closer to figuring out the themes of Happy Sugar Life "love is selfishness" is probably the best starting point for figuring this all out.

I don't really understand your point about Death Note (and i would probably disagree, cause for me Light should have survive,i'm not a big fan of DN's second part as a whole).
I don't think "grounded murderous pseudo-romance about twisted personalities" is a tone, for me tone is something broader here it would be something like Fluffy/cute and disturbing.About the big fire, it's true that it's unlike any previous actions made by Satou, but her goal also isn’t the same, before she was trying to remain hiding so she only make little move, but here the goal is to destroyed as much evidence as possible, so a big fire which destroyed at least the whole floor is a good way to hide the fact that her friend was kill before the fire. So i think it's a logical actions.
And if I'm not mistaken on the tone, ending on an happy suicide fit the fluffy disturbing tone, because regardless of if it's fit the character or not, it's undeniable that Satou is happy at that momment.

To define the theme i would say something along the line of the how love can warp people view, and mostly possessif, obssessif or abussif love. Cause whatever the character their POV is allway strange in some way, for Asahi it's the father, for Shio the mother and Satou, the blond guy view of shio, Satou whole world view. And for every one of them it's because some form of love change deeply change them.
So the fact that her new relationship with Shio change her to the exent of accepting suicide when Shio proposed it, is totaly in tone.
I think the biggest problem with your interpretation is that you see death as negative by default, when one of the point this show adress is that morality and view on thing can be vastly different for each person, it's the case with Satou who don't see killing as bad but lying about love as a terrible thing.

It's true that killing the blond guy would have make the police look his coworker, but he is also the cause of her downfall so i'm not sure wich option would have be the best, but not wearing anything to masque her face was a bad idea.
I'm pretty sure they say it was a double murder, but that time not killing them would be a huge mistake.
The coincidence was convenient but it didn't come from nowhere, her friend was suspecting her for quite a time.

Asahi didn't really accept, seem more like he was frozen in place, learning that after all his suffering he was reject.
But i agree the teacher being arrest doesn’t make much sense.

Her death doesn't erase the character devlopement, it more that her suicide is the result of her character development.
I think, again, you're too focus on death being a bad think.
When i speak of the police, i mean after they escape the building, if they can because the whole floor was colapsing, and it's allready strange that the police wasn't after her for the 3 other murder. (Or 1 murder and 4 eyes remove if i'm wrong)
Na, i will keep the "also" you make me realise some flaw that i didn't notice in the ending, but overall it remain a good ending in my opinion.

"Asahi left Shio for dead " isn’t the last seen him coming to see her in the hospital ?

Don't worry your arguments are far from poor ^^ even if i doupt that we will ever agree, i think i've a better understanding of what you find bad in that ending now.
I think "love is selfishness" is a good starting point, but not for the whole show because while it totaly fit Satou or blond guy, it's not really the case for Asahi.

Ps: sorry for the big, ugly quote at the begining, but i'm writing on mobile (and really not a powerfull one) so editing them like you do is a big chore
Oct 9, 2018 4:55 AM
Jun 2016
@Oriotiar This is a waste of time.

For the record, this isn't me reading your argument and giving up (like everyone seems to assume to when I abandon an argument). I saw the size of your message and figured that this is just going to spiral out of control.

The first 11 episodes are based on a source material, but episode 12 isn't. Whatever appeal episode 12 has, it isn't one that's entirely shared with the rest of the series, and thus anyone who comes to the series for what the first eleven episodes have to offer is in for disappointment unless they just so happen to also like what episode 12 has to offer.

Episode 12 is absolute garbage, I know that for sure as someone who considered the first 11 episodes to be a 10/10.
Nov 28, 2018 9:06 AM

Apr 2013
Tenderizer17 said:
@Oriotiar This is a waste of time.

For the record, this isn't me reading your argument and giving up (like everyone seems to assume to when I abandon an argument). I saw the size of your message and figured that this is just going to spiral out of control.

The first 11 episodes are based on a source material, but episode 12 isn't. Whatever appeal episode 12 has, it isn't one that's entirely shared with the rest of the series, and thus anyone who comes to the series for what the first eleven episodes have to offer is in for disappointment unless they just so happen to also like what episode 12 has to offer.

Episode 12 is absolute garbage, I know that for sure as someone who considered the first 11 episodes to be a 10/10.

So,if they want to make an OVA, they can just make alternate episode 12 based on manga true ending..hope so we can get it...
Jun 22, 2019 7:53 PM
Jul 2018
manga readers: is manga ending different to the anime? if so, i will go read the manga.
Mar 25, 2020 2:08 PM

Dec 2008
I just went and skimmed the last chapters. There are some differences, but it's the same basic story. It has the fire, Shio rejecting her family and choosing Satou, and them jumping off the building, only Shio lives continuing her "happy sugar life" with memories.
Mar 30, 2020 2:54 AM

Apr 2012
I would've preferred Shio dying. The major characters involved invested so much of their perverted and deviant delusions about how they wanted Shio in their lives. Losing the object of their obsessions would've been a fitting karma and a wakeup call to those who share and sympathize with this delusion based on a distorted view about love. It would've been satisfying to the readers or viewers if every character that committed heinous crimes got locked up and made to live with the fact that the object of their obsessions is no longer with them no matter how hard they tried because it's already unattainable or gone for good.

Having Shio survive and continue as a newborn Satou only proves that she's another lost soul with a stronger twisted outlook of the world.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Happy Sugar Life Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2018

96 by LeonardoFrav »»
Apr 4, 7:28 PM

Poll: » Happy Sugar Life Episode 2 Discussion

TheFreycook - Aug 9, 2018

42 by neptuneSXDLl »»
Mar 27, 5:45 PM

Poll: » Happy Sugar Life Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2018

328 by Phixiately »»
Mar 25, 10:46 PM

Poll: » Happy Sugar Life Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2018

70 by Phixiately »»
Mar 23, 11:34 PM

Poll: » Happy Sugar Life Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2018

81 by Phixiately »»
Mar 20, 9:55 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.