Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

What does the quote "It’s not the final judgement of good and evil that’s important. What matters is that you come to that decision yourself. That you agonize over it and eventually accept it." from psycho-pass anime mean?

New
Mar 6, 2018 6:03 PM
Mar 2018
akame responds to makaishima with this quote when he asks her how she divides people based on good/evil. I would like to know the philosophy and context behind her reply .
Thanks in Advance :)
May 20, 2018 5:35 PM

May 2018
SHYAM_SRINIVASAN said:
akame responds to makaishima with this quote when he asks her how she divides people based on good/evil. I would like to know the philosophy and context behind her reply .
Thanks in Advance :)

Very late reply, but here is my take.

I think she's drawing attention to the personal nature of ethics. We tend to think of morality as something objective that is set in stone, but philosophers have questioned this since ancient Greece (the sophists, for example). By claiming that you have to come to the decision yourself, she means that you have to ponder the matter and come to your own conclusions, based on your own experience, so I take it to mean she considers morality to be something that's determined subjectively, but not necessarily based on practical circumstances.

It's a bit like those people who say that there's no set purpose to life, but that the meaning is gained through living it. The old "It's not about the destination, but about the journey". In the same way, your morality would have to come from a sound, personal judgement based on your own thoughts and experience for it to have some value, and not be just a mindless action, whcih I would catalogue as social convention, and not true morality.

I largely agree with her, if that's what she meant. I don't put much value on a person's ethical or unethical behaviour if it stems from nothing but thoughtlessness, for example: profoundly religious people who don't question anything.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Psycho-Pass 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

-Riri- - Dec 18, 2014

640 by Actomino »»
Apr 23, 4:32 PM

» is this season really that bad? ( 1 2 )

beloving - Jan 7, 2015

62 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 22, 6:20 PM

Poll: » Psycho-Pass 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2014

263 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 22, 3:08 PM

Poll: » Psycho-Pass 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2014

335 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 22, 2:02 PM

Poll: » Psycho-Pass 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2014

353 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 22, 12:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.