Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 27, 2018 8:57 AM

Jul 2014
Personally, i can't just "turn off my brain" and enjoy a show. I like to think and immerse myself in the world that the show I am watching inhabits. If the show decides to forego even a modest amount of worldbuilding and doesn't treat its story with a certain level of seriousness and respect then I can't enjoy it. If anything, I'm just likely to skip over it.

Take Darling in the Franxx, for example. I dropped the show after a few episodes. From the kids lack of knowledge on what kissing is to the positions they're in while driving their mechs, I just couldn't take the show seriously. There's metaphors and then there's slapping me in the face with a banana.
SithSteelFeb 27, 2018 9:04 AM
Feb 27, 2018 9:24 AM
Feb 2009
JUST TELL ME HOW
What drugs to enjoy Eromanga,
cause alcohol for sure won't help
Feb 27, 2018 9:35 AM

Jan 2013
Yes and no. Some Anime is mindless to a degree. If I compare watching Sora Yori to maybe reading Joyce's portrait of the artist as a young man I know what cames on top in terms of depth, finnesse, and crafting. I still can enjoy Artic Girls for what they are.

SithSteel said:
Take Darling in the Franxx, for example. I dropped the show after a few episodes. From the kids lack of knowledge on what kissing is to the positions they're in while driving their mechs, I just couldn't take the show seriously. There's metaphors and then there's slapping me in the face with a banana.

So because the anime is set in an scenario in which children are breed to pilot robots and nothing else, thus not knowing what love or kisses are you drop the anime?

Whats with the postures tho? They make you feel uncomfortable or what? I still remember when people were dropping Kill la Kill for shit like that.

ConfusionHazeFeb 27, 2018 9:39 AM
Feb 27, 2018 9:45 AM

Jul 2014
ConfusionHaze said:
Yes and no. Some Anime is mindless to a degree. If I compare watching Sora Yori to maybe reading Joyce's portrait of the artist as a young man I know what cames on top in terms of depth, finnesse, and crafting. I still can enjoy Artic Girls for what they are.

SithSteel said:

So because the anime is set in an scenario in which children are breed to pilot robots and nothing else, thus not knowing what love or kisses are you drop the anime?

Whats with the postures tho? They make you feel uncomfortable or what?

Those aren't the only reasons why I dropped the show, but they are the most relevant to the point I was making.

Yes, they do. Like, I don't have a problem with shows using sexuality, skimpy costumes, and nudity. One of my favorite shows is Kill la Kill. However, like I said in my original post, there's having a metaphor for sex and there's slapping me in the face with a banana and telling me to not punch you in the face in response.

Well, I suppose that critique is a bit more long-winded.

Also, on a slightly unrelated note, I don't like mechs.
Feb 28, 2018 11:58 AM

Nov 2013
Everything is pretty good if you turn your brain off. Getting beaten to death is pretty good if you turn your brain off. Being buried alive is pretty good if you turn your brain off.
Feb 28, 2018 1:52 PM
Sep 2015
Jeez, why are so many people overthinking this.

It's just a phrase that has different meaning to different people.
To some it means:
"Don't try overthinking it, going to deep into it"
"It's a relaxing show, nothing complicated happens"
"Generally no storyline/ plot line"

Not really sure why people are taking it so literally.
And I'm also not sure why people are assuming they know what people mean when they say the phrase. Esp people who don't even use the phrase.
Watch Nichijou
Feb 28, 2018 6:21 PM

Jul 2014
DJBay said:

To some it means:

And I'm also not sure why people are assuming they know what people mean when they say the phrase. Esp people who don't even use the phrase.

I'm pretty sure the answer to your confusion is in your own post.
Mar 1, 2018 7:54 AM

Apr 2017
AmMar-Sama said:
How is it even possible to 'turn your brain off' anyway?
I don't go out of my way to think critically about the stuff I watch; it happens automatically.

This argument is just as shitty (if not worse) as that "don't like it don't watch it" nonsense.
Damn I forgot about that dumb one...holy shit. Like me not watching it is suddenly gonna change the quality of the show.
Mar 1, 2018 9:48 AM
Sep 2015
SithSteel said:
DJBay said:

To some it means:

I'm pretty sure the answer to your confusion is in your own post.

I get that. It's the fact lots of people are so sure about what it means when people say it.
Watch Nichijou
Mar 4, 2018 12:27 AM

May 2015
DJBay said:

To some it means:

What's funny is that watching TV/Movies is not relaxing at all. Physically, what you're doing is staring at lights moving. What goes on in your brain is closer to hypnosis than anything resembling 'calming down'.

And then people knock drug use.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

71 by AverageRiceFan »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 3 hours ago

17 by Serafos »»
10 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

71 by AverageRiceFan »»
13 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

84 by Hikinekomori »»
21 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

113 by lycan_ »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.