Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 2, 2018 6:14 PM

Jun 2011
Why is that? I read the manga, and while I thought it was good I never understood why it had a sort of cult following.
Feb 2, 2018 6:18 PM

Oct 2015
I thought Uzumaki was more popular and I consider that one his best. I read some bits on Tomie and wasn't a fan of it.
Feb 2, 2018 6:22 PM

Jun 2011
EGOIST said:
I thought Uzumaki was more popular and I consider that one his best. I read some bits on Tomie and wasn't a fan of it.

Uzumaki definitely is one of his best works, I consider that manga to be a masterpiece of it's own right, just not enough to make it to my fave list. As for Tomie, while I thought it was good, it just wasn't as memorable, but for some reason, I only seem to see people talk about Tomie rather than Uzumaki.
Mar 12, 2018 9:36 AM

Jun 2014
I don't think it's a fair comparison,Tomie was never intended to be one big story, unlike Uzumaki, which was a continuous on going series in a weekly manga magazine for a while.

The Tomie series began as just stand alone shorts that were made and published in different times. Only got combined into trade paperbacks latter, there are actually various version of the Tomie series trades over the years(In Japan of course).

it's like comparing Isaac Asimov's "I, Robot" to his Foundation trilogy.

Tomie series as a whole many not be his best work, but I'd argue that the Tomie "character" is.
Mar 21, 2018 7:28 PM

Dec 2017
Tomie is the reason why Junji Ito exist as a father of horror manga. his first chapter won him the award and become his first published works. his artstyle in the first 3 chapter is still very crude and not detailed as it is right now, but sure his artstyle now becoming a game changer in horror manga genre.

and it looks like he really invest himself the time to create Tomie, and become the most memorable character alongside Fuchi and Shouchi.

and seeing it become the most important works for his life that turn his life around, i would say this is his best work.
Mar 23, 2018 5:11 PM
Nov 2015
Tomie have 9 movies

Making him the third bigger horror franchise from Japan,Losing only for Ringu and JU-ON
Sep 20, 2018 5:41 AM
Jun 2016
I'd beg to differ. Uzumaki and Ningen Isu are the best ones by far. Ningen Is still makes my stomach churn with horror.
Sep 24, 2018 1:36 AM

Jun 2013
Mimicking what everyone has already said, Uzumaki would be his best work. Others would be Hellstar Remina, Gyo, Dissolving Classroom, many of his stand alone shorts, etc. Souichi Tsujii from Souichi's Diary/Book of Curses is EXTREMELY popular in Japan but not outside of it.

Tomie is not everyone's cup of tea, personally, I love her. I loved her stories. I this it's one of his best but others may disagree. I like Tomie as a character and found her to be fascinating. The animated versions of her are awful and the movies aren't any better.
臭い-
Feb 25, 2020 10:55 PM

Jun 2012
I consider it his best. Tomie is just endlessly fascinating to me.
Shoot first, think never.
May 3, 2023 6:34 AM
May 2023
personally I think there is no better or worse, these three books offer a different atmosphere and several ways to approach fear, gyo offers a fear that for me reminds me Hollywood horror films, Uzumaki a much more enigmatic fear of an entity yet simple twisted in every way to make it unpredictable, tomie offers a character that has her own way to see the World and a simple theme ,tomie arrived ,she make everyone fall in love for her ,she is killed and she revenge ,The fear that tomie inspires is her trickery and the way she psychologically breaks those around her until she pushes them to take her own life. What makes her fascinating is her complexity, despite her flaws she is a character who is reincarnated in a world that does not understand her.
221612marMay 3, 2023 6:37 AM
Aug 4, 2023 4:33 AM

Nov 2019
definitely yes, the manga is a masterpiece, and even if the movies sucks, considering how many of them, just shows how successful it is,

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tomie Episode 1 Discussion

ibraheem234 - Sep 6, 2018

26 by Ayano_Kuma »»
Feb 4, 4:51 AM

Poll: » Tomie Episode 2 Discussion

Unowen - Sep 6, 2018

24 by YudiYusantoS »»
Feb 16, 2023 10:09 PM

» Intriguing. [Warning: Spoiler]

Asphiee - Oct 31, 2022

11 by Asphiee »»
Nov 4, 2022 7:41 AM

» My favorite Juni story but the Anime was a huge let down.

WildCardBevin - Oct 20, 2021

2 by Max-OG »»
Oct 22, 2021 1:48 PM

» Tomie = Majin Buu

Arcued - Mar 24, 2018

5 by tearofmankind »»
Nov 14, 2018 3:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.