Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Post New Reply
Feb 14, 7:37 AM
halcyon- said:
The truly underrated movies are Perfect Blue, Only Yesterday, and other few.
Both I know about but am yet to watch because I'm busy re-watching the very few anime I like without intermission.

I think everything by Satoshi Kon may be underrated (Even though the only thing I've seen done by him, I didn't even finish).

Only Yesterday seems solid but nothing I'd agonize over missing. I should probably add it to my plan to watch list since it seems to be my jam (The only reason I haven't is because it never occupied my thoughts long enough)

I can't think of any movies I actually consider underrated (I made this thread mainly in protest about the thread calling Koe no Katachi overrated, how young and stupid I was back then). Now I've seen Tamako Market and truly understand what "underrated" means.
Modified by Tenderizer17, Feb 14, 7:42 AM

Feb 14, 7:50 AM
M4DMAX said:
I feel the same way, but Koe no Katachi just is more controversial.
I was thinking it's a bit more niche. It appeals more strongly to people who've seen a lot of anime, and also to people who re-watch it (I used to think Koe no Katachi has plot holes, but now I'm struggling to find any that aren't explained). Still, its controversiality surely played a part in the shows "low" popular opinion.

Feb 14, 7:54 AM
Tenderizer17 said:
M4DMAX said:
I feel the same way, but Koe no Katachi just is more controversial.
I was thinking it's a bit more niche. It appeals more strongly to people who've seen a lot of anime, and also to people who re-watch it (I used to think Koe no Katachi has plot holes, but now I'm struggling to find any that aren't explained). Still, its controversiality surely played a part in the shows "low" popular opinion.

I fully agree with you!

Feb 16, 5:14 PM
I wouldn't say A Silent Voice is underrated, but I'd certainly say that Your Name is way overrated by comparison. My biggest problem with A Silent Voice is there are too many characters that you don't really learn the backstory of, so they end up feeling hollow and pointless (which is why I read the manga).

Feb 16, 5:51 PM
GreatBrandini said:
I wouldn't say A Silent Voice is underrated, but I'd certainly say that Your Name is way overrated by comparison. My biggest problem with A Silent Voice is there are too many characters that you don't really learn the backstory of, so they end up feeling hollow and pointless (which is why I read the manga).
Well, they were condensing a 64 chapter manga into a 2 hour movie, so they had to cut a lot. However, what made the Koe no Katachi manga appeal to me was left in tact, and improved upon. I don't even remember anything from the manga anymore except the two massive plot holes that the movie fixed.

BTW: I agree with you on the issue mainly being Kimi no na Wa is overrated by comparison.
Also BTW: I refuse to call this movie "A Silent Voice", it's a terrible title so I will forever refer to it as Koe no Katachi.

Feb 16, 6:08 PM
Out of curiosity, which 2 plot holes are you referring?

Feb 16, 7:00 PM
GreatBrandini said:
Out of curiosity, which 2 plot holes are you referring?
Firstly, Ishida's reasoning for jumping off the balcony makes no sense in any way. He supposedly did it to figure out whether falling from that height was lethal. That makes no sense

Secondly (come to think of this, it isn't really a plot hole at all), Ishida's mother burnt the money deliberately, and that isn't just stupid, it's evil.

EDIT: Come to think of it, the first major plot hole was different in the manga from how I interpreted it. I knew something was off about this all so I checked the manga and I was completely and utterly wrong. WHY AM I SO STUPID.

ANOTHER EDIT: Well, I guess it wouldn't be my favourite manga if it wasn't good (or just because I've barely read any manga, and rarely the good ones).
Modified by Tenderizer17, Feb 16, 7:07 PM

Pages (2) « 1 [2]