Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 24, 2018 5:15 AM
Jun 2016
I just want to make this thread as a direct attack at Takamura-sama's thread called "Don't you think that this movie is overrated". Because I feel this angle of discussion is far more meaningful.

So, I think instead of listing reasons why this movie is good, perhaps I should list genuine reasons why this movie might be so low rated.

1. People are overly focused on the cuts made from the manga, which I don't think is a fair criticism for two reasons. Firstly, most of what was in the manga is in the anime, but it's a lot more subtle about things. Secondly, the anime is under no obligation to mimic the manga panel for panel. (That said, Koe no Katachi is definitely my favourite manga, but the way the film managed to fix the two worst plot holes in it, coupled with the astounding directing makes me willing to forgive anything lost)
2. The audience is overly concerned with the plot of the movie, which I'm gonna be honest, still isn't perfect. It has a few holes, primarily the apparent supernatural communication between Ishida and Nishimiya, along with Ishida ultimately working to re-unite his childhood friends is kind of bleh. The romance subplot also isn't exactly great (not completely horrible though).
3. The subtlety was lost on a large portion of the audience, this movie is very nuanced and some people might honestly miss some of the elements. It is expressed that Mashiba has an above average hatred bullies by him being the least forgiving of Ishida. Ueno's crush on Ishida is expressed through subtle character animation. Both of these examples are also expressed through dialogue at times, but indirectly.
4. The community is more impressed with grand spectacle and jarring plot twists, than they are with nuanced plots and powerful directing.
5. It is hard to watch this movie without intermission, which makes people who watched it in cinemas have a worse experience than those who watched it at home.
6. Ridiculous SJW's like Detective hate this for reasons that don't make sense.

I'm sure there are more reasons, but honestly I just want to make a satire of Takamura-sama's post (Because honestly, if you post an "overrated" thread on MAL you deserve everything you get).

EDIT: I changed my mind. I'm serious about my claim that this movie is underrated. It DEFINITELY deserves 1st place on MAL. I wouldn't even consider claiming that for any other anime I've seen, even if Koe no Katachi were to never exist.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Thread Locked for breaking Rule 2 of Anime Discussion.

You can use the Most Overrated/Underrated thread to talk about if the anime is overrated/underrated.
DBXJun 16, 2021 7:57 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 26, 2018 6:02 AM
Aug 2015
Is this some kind of joke?
This movie is rated 9.05 while it's arguably very flawed.

Put great visuals, nice soundtrack, moe female main character with forced drama, and people drop their 10.
And this is coming from a casual non-elitist anime watcher who like mainstream animes.
Jan 26, 2018 6:24 AM

Sep 2017
>koe no katachi
>underrated
nice meme
anyway, if anything, it's overrated. generic bullying story.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Jan 26, 2018 6:28 AM
Jun 2016
TheAskald said:
Everything's very flawed. There is not a single flawless anime out there.

Although I wouldn't call the drama forced, it actually comes across as quite natural (except the post-hospital bridge scene, that was forced, and the ending was a touch melodramatic).

Koe no Katachi is definitely flawed, just not in that way. Better examples would be:
- Sahara is a completely one-dimensional character
- Kawai doesn't get any real development
- When Ishida is trying to offer Nishimiya his phone number, they seem to have really twisted the dialogue to give it the double meaning
- Ending was a touch melodramatic
- Post-hospital bridge scene was forced
- Ishida progressively re-uniting his friends from elementary school seems a bit silly

Despite all this, it's the greatest anime I've ever scene because there's so much to love.

EDIT: Don't fault me for missing flaws, I only listed what came to mind first, not every single flaw the movie has.
Jan 26, 2018 6:30 AM
Jun 2016
Dlwuik said:
>koe no katachi
>underrated
nice meme
And Hunter x Hunter is a generic shounen
Jan 26, 2018 6:34 AM

Sep 2017
Tenderizer17 said:

well you gave fmab a 6, gurren lagann a 6, fate/zero and 2nd season a 4 & 1, so from that i can conclude you have [SHIT TASTE]

Jan 26, 2018 6:35 AM
Jun 2016
Dlwuik said:
Tenderizer17 said:

well you gave fmab a 6, gurren lagann a 6, fate/zero and 2nd season a 4 & 1, so from that i can conclude you have [SHIT TASTE]
So does everyone, welcome to the anime community

Oh also, I'm just downvoting the second season because I downvote all sequels that are in the top 50-60 (Cause fuck the rules)
Jan 26, 2018 6:36 AM

Apr 2016
By the holy tits and ass, how the hell can be 9.05 a underrated ?
Jan 26, 2018 6:37 AM
Jun 2016
Swagernator said:
By the holy tits and ass, how the hell can be 9.05 a underrated ?
I think 9.22 would be fair
Tenderizer79Jan 26, 2018 7:12 AM
Jan 26, 2018 6:40 AM

Sep 2017
Tenderizer17 said:
Oh also, I'm just downvoting the second season because I downvote all sequels that are in the top 50-60 (Cause fuck the rules)

i never knew koe no katachi fanboys actually exist lol.
Tenderizer17 said:

then it'd be #2 on mal, we don't need more garbage added to the top 3, kimi no na wa is already #2 stop trying to make it worse.

Jan 26, 2018 6:42 AM
Jun 2016
Dlwuik said:
Tenderizer17 said:

then it'd be #2 on mal, we don't need more garbage added to the top 3, kimi no na wa is already #2 stop trying to make it worse.
At least there wouldn't be any more in the top 2. But if I must, I'm also willing to accept Kimi no na Wa being dropped to 9.04 if I must compromise.
Jan 26, 2018 6:46 AM
Jun 2016
Dlwuik said:
I never knew koe no katachi fanboys actually exist lol.
Was the 9.05 on MAL not sufficient indication?
Jan 26, 2018 6:47 AM

Oct 2015
Well, I don't give a fuck about Koe no Katachi nor score on MAL in the first place, anything worth noting about the average scores on MAL is a null.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Jan 26, 2018 6:47 AM

May 2015
Dlwuik said:
>koe no katachi
>underrated
nice meme

Yet again, you're wrong.

Jan 26, 2018 6:49 AM

Sep 2017
Kittens-kun said:
Yet again, you're wrong.

no i'm right, i always am.

Jan 26, 2018 6:51 AM
Jun 2016
Dlwuik said:
Kittens-kun said:
Yet again, you're wrong.

no i'm right, i always am.
Anime community, amirite.
Jan 26, 2018 10:07 AM

Nov 2014
>Low rated
This movie's rocking a 9.05, number 12 on this website (number 5 if you get rid of the sequels circle-jerking) and it has over 400k members so it's not like it's only appealing to the specific fanbase that watches it.

>Taking Dlwuik seriously
Like come on bro, don't do that to yourself.
Jan 27, 2018 12:37 PM
Aug 2015
Tenderizer17 said:
TheAskald said:

Although I wouldn't call the drama forced, it actually comes across as quite natural (except the post-hospital bridge scene, that was forced, and the ending was a touch melodramatic).

Koe no Katachi is definitely flawed, just not in that way. Better examples would be:
- When Ishida is trying to offer Nishimiya his phone number, they seem to have really twisted the dialogue to give it the double meaning
- Ishida progressively re-uniting his friends from elementary school seems a bit silly

Despite all this, it's the greatest anime I've ever scene because there's so much to love.

EDIT: Don't fault me for missing flaws, I only listed what came to mind first, not every single flaw the movie has.

The "everything's flawed" argument makes no sense. So an almost-perfect anime is the same thing as an extremely flawed anime?
Nothing is perfect but some animes are arguably extremly consistent in every field. And BOY, Koe no Katachi is really not in that side of the spectrum.

It's totally ok for anyone to love an anime that have a lot of flaws (just look at my favorites, Clannad and Geass have so much bullshit in them, but I still love them, Very high personal enjoyment > cold objective perfection), but Koe No Katachi is too flawed for me and breaks the immersion.

For me, there is a lot of drama for something that isn't a big deal for characters, except the two main. Every main characters except Nishimiya and Shouya don't have any reason to be that emotionnaly involved in this, everybody make a fuss about this but there isn't that much things going on.

For example, Ano Hana also has this "making a timeskip presenting the meeting of 6-7 childhood friends after some shit happened before the timeskip" thing, but something important actually happened (death of Menma). While I think Ano Hana is also far too melodramatic and that the characters are psychologically irrealists, at least the drama was coming from something actually important.

Here, in Koe no katachi...? What happened changed Shouya's life and has been important for Nishimiya, but all the others characters shouldn't give any fuck.
Or not a lot.

TheAskaldJan 27, 2018 12:45 PM
Jan 27, 2018 12:39 PM

May 2015
TheAskald said:
Tenderizer17 said:

The "everything's flawed" argument makes no sense. So an almost-perfect anime is the same thing as an extremely flawed anime?
Nothing is perfect but some animes are arguably extremly consistent in every field. And BOY, Koe no Katachi is really not in that side of the spectrum.

It's totally ok for anyone to love an anime that have a lot of flaws (just look at my favorites, Clannad and Geass have so much bullshit in them, but I still love them, Very high personal enjoyment > cold objective perfection), but Koe No Katachi is too flawed for me and breaks the immersion for me. In an Ano Hana way.

And what are these flaws exactly?

Jan 27, 2018 12:44 PM

Jan 2013
It came out the same time as Kimi no na wa, which was unfortunate.
This movie certainly deserves to be easily over that average movie.

But yea, the score is already quite good, so I'm content anyway.
Jan 27, 2018 12:48 PM
Aug 2015
Kittens-kun said:
TheAskald said:

It's totally ok for anyone to love an anime that have a lot of flaws (just look at my favorites, Clannad and Geass have so much bullshit in them, but I still love them, Very high personal enjoyment > cold objective perfection), but Koe No Katachi is too flawed for me and breaks the immersion for me. In an Ano Hana way.

And what are these flaws exactly?
See my edited comment.

Jan 27, 2018 6:40 PM
Jun 2016
TheAskald said:
For me, there is a lot of drama for something that isn't a big deal for characters, except the two main. Every main characters except Nishimiya and Shouya don't have any reason to be that emotionnaly involved in this, everybody make a fuss about this but there isn't that much things going on.

For example, Ano Hana also has this "making a timeskip presenting the meeting of 6-7 childhood friends after some shit happened before the timeskip" thing, but something important actually happened (death of Menma). While I think Ano Hana is also far too melodramatic and that the characters are psychologically irrealists, at least the drama was coming from something actually important.

Here, in Koe no katachi...? What happened changed Shouya's life and has been important for Nishimiya, but all the others characters shouldn't give any fuck.
Or not a lot.
I disagree. A lot of the other characters mostly have a stake in the outcome. Yuzuru because she cares about Nishimiya's happiness more than anything, and Ueno because she "cares strongly" Ishida. Nagatsuka doesn't want to lose the first friend he made in a while. Sahara wants to make up for abandoning Nishimiya. Kawaii and Mashiba can go to hell.

I wouldn't say those motivations are compelling enough to unbreak your immersion, but they are at least mostly present (I think there's a reason Kawaii and Mashiba are among the least popular of the characters).

If I want to win this argument, I should probably show you how much there is to love about this movie that you may have missed. But I lack the skills necessary to convey it in a compelling way and I don't think you'd really be interested anyway.
Jan 27, 2018 7:09 PM
otp haver πŸ€ͺ

Jul 2017
So because it's not above Your Name or the top film on the website list it's underrated?
Jan 27, 2018 7:36 PM
Jun 2016
Stripes said:
So because it's not above Your Name or the top film on the website list it's underrated?
Just because it's not above Your Name
Jan 28, 2018 1:18 AM
Aug 2015
Tenderizer17 said:
TheAskald said:

Or not a lot.
I disagree. A lot of the other characters mostly have a stake in the outcome. Yuzuru because she cares about Nishimiya's happiness more than anything, and Ueno because she "cares strongly" Ishida. Nagatsuka doesn't want to lose the first friend he made in a while. Sahara wants to make up for abandoning Nishimiya. Kawaii and Mashiba can go to hell.

I wouldn't say those motivations are compelling enough to unbreak your immersion, but they are at least mostly present (I think there's a reason Kawaii and Mashiba are among the least popular of the characters).

If I want to win this argument, I should probably show you how much there is to love about this movie that you may have missed. But I lack the skills necessary to convey it in a compelling way and I don't think you'd really be interested anyway.

Being mostly present isn't enough, they have to be convincing.
That's like if in an action movie you said "the action is not that great but at least there is some", well yeah it's not that great indeed.

What doesn't feel right is that most of the characters weren't even close to each others before the timeskip. People evolve a lot between being child and teenager. Maybe it's only me, but I wouldn't really care about something that happened when I was "still a child" about people who weren't my friends and that I didn't even liked.

I felt the suicide attempt was just a drama device given that Nishimiya just woke up being alright and never spoke about it seriously with Shouya. In real life, it's not that easy and casual. (That said, the actualy scene of the suicide attempt was gorgeous visually)

I'm not here to win or lose an argument, I'm curious to see what I missed in this movie, because I know it's not at 9.05 for nothing, could you develop? I plan to rewatch it because it's the first time I have a gap so big between my enjoyment and the MAL rate.
Jan 28, 2018 2:01 AM
Jun 2016
TheAskald said:
Being mostly present isn't enough, they have to be convincing. That's like if in an action movie you said "the action is not that great but at least there is some", well yeah it's not that great indeed.
By mostly present, I meant present for most characters, rather than each character having partially tangible motivations. I must concede though, they're pretty subtle about it and if the movie is a touch too subtle, that's a fair complaint (but at least it's better than shows that beat you over the head with everything like Shinsekai Yori).
TheAskald said:
What doesn't feel right is that most of the characters weren't even close to each other before the timeskip. People evolve a lot between being child and teenager. Maybe it's only me, but I wouldn't really care about something that happened when I was "still a child" about people who weren't my friends and that I didn't even liked.
I actually think, if they were really close as children, it would've lessened the film. Re-uniting your primary school friends is a stupid AF motivation, developing a social circle while you've been isolated by both others and yourself (because of guilt) is a compelling narrative. I think I just explained away one of my complaints about the movie, but I have plenty so that's no problem
TheAskald said:
I felt the suicide attempt was just a drama device given that Nishimiya just woke up being alright and never spoke about it seriously with Shouya. In real life, it's not that easy and casual. (That said, the actualy scene of the suicide attempt was gorgeous visually)
I kind of agree, I think it was probably a drama device. However, I think it was handled very well despite that. Firstly, she attempted suicide in the past (made clear because of the lengths Yuzuru went to in order to prevent it, that said she might have just spoken about a desire to commit suicide in the past and it'd have the same effect), which shows that this wasn't a spur of the moment thing. Secondly, a large part of Nishimiya's character is the way she feigns happiness. During the scene where Ishida pushes all his friends away with pinpoint insults, she forces herself to smile because she wants to appear happy and to cause as little a burden on others as possible.

Also, thank you for appreciating how well directed the scene was. I especially love how the curtain obscured the jump, that was the most respectful way to handle this (unlike 13 reasons why, which showed the act in gruesome detail to maximize the shock factor).
TheAskald said:
I'm not here to win or lose an argument, I'm curious to see what I missed in this movie, because I know it's not at 9.05 for nothing, could you develop? I plan to rewatch it because it's the first time I have a gap so big between my enjoyment and the MAL rate.
Same here, trying to convince someone an anime they dislike is good is a tough battle (that's why I enjoyed debating with someone on the cause for Shinsekai Yori being terrible, so much).

I personally, read the manga, watched the movie 11 times and watched every analytical youtube video on it in existence. I will look through what's available and recommend one of these videos that you should watch before re-watching it.

I should mention, I think it's completely natural to have your scores deviate from the average quite often. Anime in the top 50 you'd end up watching despite disliking the genre they're from and because of that you'll like them less than people who became interested naturally. Also the top 50 spawns a lot of bitterness (at least for me personally) and so even if I like a show, I'd sometimes demote it a point or two just because I feel it doesn't need me to moisten it.

Oh and one last thing. I re-watched Kimi no na Wa 6 times trying my best to find a love for it. What I found was an interpretation of the directing that made me hate the film (Which I won't get into because I know for sure it'll spawn debate). If I had analytical youtube videos available to me (Which there are none of that are truly about Kimi no na Wa), I might have had a better experience, so that's why I'm gonna recommend a youtube video once I go through everything and find the best one.

EDIT: The first video I tried seems good enough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeub2gZnJC8
Also, this other video, I'm not recommending to improve your enjoyment of the film, just because it's a good watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dqpGpYXTC4
Tenderizer79Jan 28, 2018 2:18 AM
Jan 28, 2018 2:35 AM
Aug 2015
Tenderizer17 said:
TheAskald said:
Being mostly present isn't enough, they have to be convincing. That's like if in an action movie you said "the action is not that great but at least there is some", well yeah it's not that great indeed.
By mostly present, I meant present for most characters, rather than each character having partially tangible motivations. I must concede though, they're pretty subtle about it and if the movie is a touch too subtle, that's a fair complaint (but at least it's better than shows that beat you over the head with everything like Shinsekai Yori).
TheAskald said:
What doesn't feel right is that most of the characters weren't even close to each other before the timeskip. People evolve a lot between being child and teenager. Maybe it's only me, but I wouldn't really care about something that happened when I was "still a child" about people who weren't my friends and that I didn't even liked.
I actually think, if they were really close as children, it would've lessened the film. Re-uniting your primary school friends is a stupid AF motivation, developing a social circle while you've been isolated by both others and yourself (because of guilt) is a compelling narrative. I think I just explained away one of my complaints about the movie, but I have plenty so that's no problem
TheAskald said:
I kind of agree, I think it was probably a drama device. However, I think it was handled very well despite that. Firstly, she attempted suicide in the past (made clear because of the lengths Yuzuru went to in order to prevent it, that said she might have just spoken about a desire to commit suicide in the past and it'd have the same effect), which shows that this wasn't a spur of the moment thing. Secondly, a large part of Nishimiya's character is the way she feigns happiness. During the scene where Ishida pushes all his friends away with pinpoint insults, she forces herself to smile because she wants to appear happy and to cause as little a burden on others as possible.

Also, thank you for appreciating how well directed the scene was. I especially love how the curtain obscured the jump, that was the most respectful way to handle this (unlike 13 reasons why, which showed the act in gruesome detail to maximize the shock factor).
TheAskald said:
Same here, trying to convince someone an anime they dislike is good is a tough battle (that's why I enjoyed debating with someone on the cause for Shinsekai Yori being terrible, so much).

I personally, read the manga, watched the movie 11 times and watched every analytical youtube video on it in existence. I will look through what's available and recommend one of these videos that you should watch before re-watching it.

I should mention, I think it's completely natural to have your scores deviate from the average quite often. Anime in the top 50 you'd end up watching despite disliking the genre they're from and because of that you'll like them less than people who became interested naturally. Also the top 50 spawns a lot of bitterness (at least for me personally) and so even if I like a show, I'd sometimes demote it a point or two just because I feel it doesn't need me to moisten it.

Oh and one last thing. I re-watched Kimi no na Wa 6 times trying my best to find a love for it. What I found was an interpretation of the directing that made me hate the film (Which I won't get into because I know for sure it'll spawn debate). If I had analytical youtube videos available to me (Which there are none of that are truly about Kimi no na Wa), I might have had a better experience, so that's why I'm gonna recommend a youtube video once I go through everything and find the best one.

EDIT: The first video I tried seems good enough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeub2gZnJC8
Also, this other video, I'm not recommending to improve your enjoyment of the film, just because it's a good watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dqpGpYXTC4

Thanks for the videos :)

I didn't get what you meant with Shinsekai Yori, are you saying the characters are lacking development and are empty?
That's another debate, but I think it really fits the show because it wasn't about characters, it was about themes and ideas, the characters doesn't matter and musn't overshadow what really matters, even if I really like Saki, despite being quiet normal.
(Do you have the link to the thread where you argued about Shinsekai Yori? I'm curious about it, it's one of these shows I consider arguably at least very well directed)

The fact that you saw 11 times the movie and read the manga means you know way more about the movie than me, we're not at the same level of knowledge so I'm not sure it's worth going further than that.

The enjoyment of a movie is something you feel, not that you choose, and for me the drama felt forced, the characters bonds felt artificals, a drama movie can only fail when you can't get into it, I have to rewatch it or watch analysis to change my opinion.

Also, I have to say that I don't manage to enjoy anime movies in general, they tend to have beautiful visuals and OST, but average characters and plot, leading to, most of the time, melodrama I feel forced.
That's why my favorite anime movie is Garden Of Words, I don't see it as a romance (the ending is terrible) but as an audiovisual experience.
So it applies to koe no katachi and I'm even more biaised.

Sorry for bad english btw
Jan 28, 2018 2:54 AM
Jun 2016
TheAskald said:
I didn't get what you meant with Shinsekai Yori, are you saying the characters are lacking development and are empty?
That's another debate, but I think it really fits the show because it wasn't about characters, it was about themes and ideas, the characters doesn't matter and musn't overshadow what really matters, even if I really like Saki, despite being quiet normal.
(Do you have the link to the thread where you argued about Shinsekai Yori? I'm curious about it, it's one of these shows I consider arguably at least very well directed)
It wasn't a forum thread. We got in a message chain with each-other and it drew on for quite a while. I believe, together, we conceived every imaginable criticism for the series. Anyway, my main complaint about Shinsekai Yori is that it is completely lacking is subtlety, so I actually strongly dislike the directing in it. This lack of subtlety, BTW, was more about the plot than characters (and I assume the plot is meant to be the main appeal of the show). I could be wrong about that, because it's based on my completely subjective opinion and limited observation, but Shinsekai Yori is beside the point.
TheAskald said:
The fact that you saw 11 times the movie and read the manga means you know way more about the movie than me, we're not at the same level of knowledge so I'm not sure it's worth going further than that.
Fair point
TheAskald said:
The enjoyment of a movie is something you feel, not that you choose, and for me the drama felt forced, the characters bonds felt artificals, a drama movie can only fail when you can't get into it, I have to rewatch it or watch analysis to change my opinion.
I understand that
TheAskald said:
Also, I have to say that I don't manage to enjoy anime movies in general, they tend to have beautiful visuals and OST, but average characters and plot, leading to, most of the time, melodrama I feel forced.
That's why my favorite anime movie is Garden Of Words, I don't see it as a romance (the ending is terrible) but as an audiovisual experience.
So it applies to koe no katachi and I'm even more biaised.
I have never managed to complete an anime movie without intermission (Not even Koe no Katachi, in a single of the 11 times I watched it). They're either shallow and hence boring, or very dense and hence overwhelming. That's why I prefer 5 Centimeters per Second over other Shinkai films, because its premise is so simple, that the limited runtime means it can explore its idea to the fullest without having to nest information within finer details. Although as far as audiovisual experiences go, Koe no Katachi is top notch; the visuals and music convey as much information as the dialogue does.

Also, I will definitely say that Garden of Words is definitely the best thing Shinkai has directed, even if I had a better experience with 5 Centimeters per Second (Because of the strong premise).
Tenderizer79Jan 28, 2018 2:59 AM
Jan 29, 2018 12:31 AM

Dec 2017
Besides the fact that it got overshadowed by Kimi no Na wa I think it's perfectly rated.

Okay, maybe I think it kind of deserves a score closer to Kimi no Na wa but it's close top 10 anyway.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Jan 29, 2018 12:45 AM
Jun 2016
Reina_Orikasa said:
Besides the fact that it got overshadowed by Kimi no Na wa I think it's perfectly rated.
I think that's fair. Even if it was bumped out of the top 500, as long as Kimi no na Wa is bumped out of the top 501 I'm happy. Hell, I'm glad when someone scores Koe no Katachi a 3/10 on MAL as long as they score Kimi no na Wa a 2/10 (I have a specific example of this in my mind).

That said. I think the reason Kimi no na Wa scores so high is because it's the best film to watch in cinemas. I recently came to the realization that Kimi no na Wa is the only anime film I've ever managed to finish in one sitting without intermission, which doesn't necessarily mean it's of high quality, just that it is simplistic enough that it has the information density of an anime series (Which is a bad thing when it comes to movies). If you think about it, every element of Kimi no na Wa (from the characters, to the plot) are highly simplistic and there are no underlying themes.

Actually, I think that's a consistent property of Makoto Shinkai films now that I think about it. They're the only movies that are experienced comfortably in cinemas. Which kind of explains why it's so profitable and why Koe no Katachi is becoming slightly more well regarded now that it's out of cinemas (although a difference of 0.01 on MAL doesn't prove much)

I think that concludes my essay nobody asked for.

EDIT: I just realized that if it's bumped out of the top 500, it'll be below the SAO Movie. So lets settle on top 300.
Tenderizer79Jan 29, 2018 1:09 AM
Jan 29, 2018 1:03 AM

Jun 2015
My bitches always be hatin' on me.

I don't bother with my hoes.

Peace out.

OT: Nah this movie obviously overrated and flawed.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Jan 29, 2018 1:09 AM

Dec 2017
Tenderizer17 said:

I think that concludes my essay nobody asked for.

Well, I appreciate the short read on your opinion of Kimi no Na wa.

I personally enjoyed Koe no Katachi much more due to how I could relate to some of the characters and what they had to go through. But I could see why others enjoy Kimi no Na wa more.

Anyhow, a number is just a number. I'll leave it there. Cheers.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Jan 29, 2018 1:14 AM

Oct 2017
I dont give a crap about scores on MAL.....
Koe no katachi is obviously wayy better than kimi no na wa (-definitely overrated af).....but koe no katachi having a score of 9.04 isnt bad either because there are many shows which are damn underrated....... huh well..... Welcome to MAL ....
Jan 31, 2018 10:26 PM
Oct 2017
Overrated? No not in my opinion, the only reason I didn’t give it a 10 is because the ending left too many things unanswered but the movie was amazing, the animation was great, the story was touching and the characters are all relatable and likable, especially Shouko.
Feb 1, 2018 6:03 AM
Jun 2016
TheFahrenheit said:
Did you just call quite possibly the most unique shonen generic? This is one of the most retarded things i have heard in my life, you should feel ashamed of yourself.
Everything's generic if you selectively observe the tropes. That's the point I'm trying to make. Koe no Katachi is unique in innumerable ways (I know, I've watched a lot of anime about suicidal people and bullying) and generic in innumerable ways. Calling something generic is a criticism people readily accept, but it's also never true.

TheFahrenheit said:
It could be viewed as underrated only by comparing it to kimi no wa, it easily one of the most popular anime movies out there
That's fair. Although with that said, if you view movies as an entirely separate list, that's like saying, it's only underrated when compared to the one thing considered better than it by the general public. I'm not arguing though. Hell, I'd be satisfied if Kimi no na wa swapped places with Spirited Away or The Tale of Princess Kaguya or Howl's Moving Castle or Wolf Children or The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya or even In This Corner of the World. Point being, fuck Kimi no na wa and everything it stands for.

TheFahrenheit said:
underrated is the last thing someone could call it.
Well, I just called it that. Whatcha gonna do.
Tenderizer79Feb 1, 2018 6:08 AM
Feb 1, 2018 6:25 AM

Dec 2016
9.05 with over 400k members ....underrated? If that's underrated...what's left for all the other great anime that are even struggling to get or keep a score above 8.00 or reaching over 100k members...

The fact that KNNW has a higher score doesn't imply KNK is underrated whatsoever
Feb 1, 2018 6:33 AM
Jun 2016
juicy-peach said:
9.05 with over 400k members ....underrated?
Counter-argument ... It's a really good movie.
juicy-peach said:
If that's underrated...what's left for all the other great anime that are even struggling to get or keep a score above 8.00 or reaching over 100k members...
Mahoujin Guruguru (2017) has a score of 7.98 and 17,000 members :P
juicy-peach said:
The fact that KNNW has a higher score doesn't imply KNK is underrated whatsoever
I could say KNNW is overrated or Koe no Katachi is underrated and it wouldn't make a difference, doesn't matter, it basically means the same thing.

BTW: Thought this was a totally different thread that I was applying too. I probably didn't make any massive mistakes but you never know.
Tenderizer79Feb 1, 2018 6:39 AM
Feb 1, 2018 7:12 PM
Jun 2016
icontinuetofight said:
Tenderizer17 said:

EDIT: I got some somewhat reliable numbers and here's the relative profits between this and the movie everyone wrongly considers better
Koe no Katachi: $31,648,638
Kimi no na Wa: $343,440,676
I have officially given up on all of humanity.
aahahha, what a pathetic human being. i'm not even a fan of kmnw but this is probably the most cringyest thing i've ever read on mal.
That's fair. I probably should have checked Koe no Katachi's privilege before posting that. $30,000,000 is by no means chump change. No turning back now though.
icontinuetofight said:
also how is this shit movie underrated on #12? should be like #800
Because it's good.

EDIT: Oh real nice of you, hit and run. Well, it's a real shame I had already quoted your post when you flee'd in terror from my magnificent aura.
Feb 1, 2018 7:18 PM

Oct 2015
No, if you call this underrated then shows like Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, Perfect Blue, Yoru wa Mijikashi Arukeyo Otome would fall under under under under rated shows. This is just as overrated as Kimi no Na wa.
Feb 1, 2018 7:21 PM
Jun 2016
@EGOIST I feel like I know you from somewhere.
Feb 1, 2018 7:23 PM

Nov 2017
The rating is already high enough.
Feb 2, 2018 12:42 PM

Jul 2013
People, stop feeding the troll.
Omne Solum Forti Patria
Feb 2, 2018 5:16 PM
May 2015
The cut content from the manga was a welcomed change, the secondary characters are overly cartoony and get the spotlight way too many times. Most of the cut content was honestly just filler.
Feb 2, 2018 5:22 PM
Jun 2016
Eanraig said:
The cut content from the manga was a welcomed change, the secondary characters are overly cartoony and get the spotlight way too many times. Most of the cut content was honestly just filler.
THANK YOU, finally someone else that sees reason on this matter.

Also, don't forget about the massive plot contrivances the movie fixed
Feb 10, 2018 9:59 AM
Dec 2017
Nope this isn't overated but in other hand kimi no nawa is overated
Feb 14, 2018 7:19 AM
Dec 2017
Its already under the three highest ratet anime movies, so there are only two anime movies with a higher rating. I also watched Kimi no Na wa and i can see why it got a higher score, even though i enjoyed Koe no Katachi more. I generally think more people are drawn towards a more lighthearted story with a dramatic twist like Kimi no Na wa, because its just easier to get into. Its similar to the situation with newspapers; the easy story gets more attention than the true story and due to that, Kimi no Na wa got more attention, especially from people outside of the community, who are arguably easier to impress than people who already watched a bunch of Animes. Kimi no Na wa helped the growth of the medium more than Koe no Katachi and at least for that it deserves a higher rating.
ErforschtFeb 14, 2018 7:29 AM
Feb 14, 2018 7:26 AM
Jun 2016
M4DMAX said:
Its already under the three highest ratet anime movies, so there are only two anime movies with a higher rating. I also watched Kimi no Na wa and i can see why it got a higher score, even though i enjoyed Koe no Katachi more. I generally think more people are drawn towards a more lighthearted story with a dramatic twist like Kimi no Na wa, because its just easier to get into. Its similar to the situation with newspapers; the easy story gets more attention than the true story and im fine with that.
As much as I want to, I can't hate Kimi no na Wa. And as much as I want to, I also can't like Kimi no na Wa. Both options are far preferable to my current opinion of "it was fine". My point is, I can't really bring myself to feel too bitter about Kimi no na Wa being above Koe no Katachi anymore.

I'm definitely bitter about the review by "Detective" being featured on the MAL page for Koe no Katachi (It seems like a review specifically designed to get on my nerves). Not that that's specifically relevant in this response.
Feb 14, 2018 7:30 AM

Jul 2017
Nope ^^ many people (mostly casual watchers) know about this movie and call it "one of the best"
The truly underrated movies are Perfect Blue, Only Yesterday, and other few.

smell of coffee
songs of sleep

Feb 14, 2018 7:32 AM
Dec 2017
@Tenderizer17
I feel the same way, but Koe no Katachi just is more controversial.
Feb 14, 2018 7:37 AM
Jun 2016
halcyon- said:
The truly underrated movies are Perfect Blue, Only Yesterday, and other few.
Both I know about but am yet to watch because I'm busy re-watching the very few anime I like without intermission.

I think everything by Satoshi Kon may be underrated (Even though the only thing I've seen done by him, I didn't even finish).

Only Yesterday seems solid but nothing I'd agonize over missing. I should probably add it to my plan to watch list since it seems to be my jam (The only reason I haven't is because it never occupied my thoughts long enough)

I can't think of any movies I actually consider underrated (I made this thread mainly in protest about the thread calling Koe no Katachi overrated, how young and stupid I was back then). Now I've seen Tamako Market and truly understand what "underrated" means.
Tenderizer79Feb 14, 2018 7:42 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nihon_no_tsuki - Sep 21, 2016

700 by Morragan »»
Apr 4, 5:29 PM

» Ueno and miki (Spoiler)

Gilbertaxel17 - Jan 14

17 by Marianolove_55 »»
Mar 16, 9:39 AM

» Did you cry? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stacias - Aug 1, 2022

257 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Mar 3, 1:41 PM

» Sharing Whispers with Shoko - Moments that Made Us Fee

Sad-Life - Dec 31, 2023

11 by Aryan422 »»
Jan 2, 9:21 AM

» What are your opinions on Tomohiro?

Aldanaonair - Dec 29, 2023

7 by Squatch70 »»
Dec 29, 2023 1:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.