Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 31, 2018 9:52 AM
Jan 2014
I want to ask an idiotic question (please bear with me).
What are the differences between the adaptation and the LN source material? When exactly did they start to deviate from the source material?

Watching episode 12 made me a bit sad (and confused for a moment) because I spoiled myself on the last chapter of Vol.2 and started to wonder what were the changes.

Thanks in advance
If there's no one happy, is it really a victory?
- Kuroko Tetsuya
Mar 31, 2018 1:20 PM
Apr 2016
sashaanjo said:
SigOpram said:
So he's still alive...

And what's with the spoiler tag? Seriously, if you can't figure out it's going to have a huge spoiler just by reading the title- "Is Gilbert really dead?"

and still read like you're walking in a park...

then you ought to eat an entire sack of peanuts.
In the LN he is alive, but I think in the anime version they want to keep him dead. At least that's what I understood from episode 12. If he were alive in the anime, I believe his brother should've known. But he himself said Gilbert is dead... so..

meh. I would've appreciated it more if Gilbert was actually alive like in the LN.

If they change THAT part of original source, it obviously would be to make the tragedy-machine story be even more tragic, making feeble viewers to cry another river and write another Wall of Weeping on forums "THANK YOU KYOANI THANK YOU". Which is rather disgusting, how they deny art in pursuit of lesser recognition.
Re:formed
Mar 31, 2018 1:58 PM

Dec 2017
Daniel_Naumov said:
sashaanjo said:
In the LN he is alive, but I think in the anime version they want to keep him dead. At least that's what I understood from episode 12. If he were alive in the anime, I believe his brother should've known. But he himself said Gilbert is dead... so..

meh. I would've appreciated it more if Gilbert was actually alive like in the LN.

If they change THAT part of original source, it obviously would be to make the tragedy-machine story be even more tragic, making feeble viewers to cry another river and write another Wall of Weeping on forums "THANK YOU KYOANI THANK YOU". Which is rather disgusting, how they deny art in pursuit of lesser recognition.

To be honest, I'm okay when the anime isn't adapted EXACTLY like the manga, but the fact that Gilbert is alive in the LN is extremely important, and I wouldn't like that to be changed. We'll see if he's alive or not in episode 13, but I doubt it. I think more people would be interested in Violet Evergarden if Gilbert was actually alive like in the LN. The LN is a story about Violet and Gilbert, while the anime focuses entirely on Violet, which is boring and that's why many people dropped it.
Mar 31, 2018 3:18 PM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
shoot why did I even clicked on this forum, read some spoilers
Apr 1, 2018 1:24 AM
Apr 2016
xkazutox said:
shoot why did I even clicked on this forum, read some spoilers

Not even spoilers anymore as no one has any idea what is happening.
Re:formed
Apr 1, 2018 2:09 AM

Apr 2011
He's alive in the light novel,

BUT! In episode 12 his part was taken by his brother.

He should be the one saving Violet on that scene, so we can't say for sure for the anime.
Apr 5, 2018 8:11 AM

Oct 2013
Mohammadalmannai said:
MOB_ABOMINATOR said:
man you're wrong wikia clearly says he's

woooo thank youuuu
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 5, 2018 8:34 AM
Mar 2018
His remains wasn't found, why only his body bones and shit wasn't found.
Apr 6, 2018 7:00 AM

Feb 2015
Inbar-xz said:

He's dead in the anime and alive in the novel.
You should never think of adaptation and source material as one.
It's not uncommon for adaptations to change the plot or/and add/remove characters.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Apr 6, 2018 9:20 AM
Jan 2017
Hakaminah said:
Inbar-xz said:

He's dead in the anime and alive in the novel.
You should never think of adaptation and source material as one.
It's not uncommon for adaptations to change the plot or/and add/remove characters.

He is dead in anime? Because He doesnt appear and we didnt saw his face? Violet does the same, let him gone ( she agree with that he is dead), and started new free life without him. But,there is sth strange, she wrote " I love you " so that means that she understood what is love, and get URGENT order, and after that black screen appear. We see that she went probably to that person. There in 3 scenes we can see bougainvillea flowers behind violet which means " welcome, protect " and of course... Gilbert. So it depends on what u want to see in the end u can see the happy ending too. She understood that he died, let him gone, but still loved him. She live live live and... some day she went there, and she thought it was a dream, but no, it wasnt dream. It was true happiness. And anime end - with true, first time - really happy Violet face. She recognized him.
ArtbelleApr 6, 2018 9:23 AM
Apr 6, 2018 9:31 AM

Feb 2015
Artbelle said:
And anime end - with true, first time - really happy Violet face. She recognized him.

If you're talking about Violet's client which she visited at the end, it could be anyone, maybe one of people who requested letter from her before.

Do you really think that after all those months of thinking that he's dead and accepting it, all she would do would be a smile? Really? How dense you are?
When you see someone you thought you lost forever, you're not standing so calm as she was.
There would be also no need to spell her name if it was Gilbert.
Knowing her character, she would probably call him by name and say something along the lines as how she missed him or how she thought that he was dead.

Apr 6, 2018 9:49 AM
Jan 2017
Hakaminah said:
Artbelle said:
And anime end - with true, first time - really happy Violet face. She recognized him.

If you're talking about Violet's client which she visited at the end, it could be anyone, maybe one of people who requested letter from her before.

Do you really think that after all those months of thinking that he's dead and accepting it, all she would do would be a smile? Really? How dense you are?
When you see someone you thought you lost forever, you're not standing so calm as she was.
There would be also no need to spell her name if it was Gilbert.
Knowing her character, she would probably call him by name and say something along the lines as how she missed him or how she thought that he was dead.

Yes it could be everyone, even me or u ( sb who watch anime xD ) But they leave it open ending on purpose. I think everyone can believe what they want. That was only my version. Yes, a lot people would just jump on him and cry and more, and say oooh Gilbert...I love u now blahblah... But she said " ...Im Violet Evergarden " Not Violet, not " tool ". She could show him first time...that she is that person he want her to be and she just said rest of her classic greeting, because it was sth he want for her the most. It is not normal romance crazy anime when sb after years cry and jump and say I love u first. For me even if gilbert face appear, her reaction would be more beautiful then normal " i dont believie u live??? I loove u " ... it is not that type of anime.
Apr 6, 2018 9:56 AM

Feb 2015

Never said that she would jump on him, lol.
She would be still standing and started crying while smiling, simple as that.

And yes, it's this kind of anime that's not even trying to be subtle with its drama scenes.
If something's happening you know it because everyone is sad and most are crying.

Violet's ain't romance anime, it's a pure cheap drama that tries to dwell on your feelings.
If Gilbert was alive after they tried to hard to keep him dead, it would be a big moment full of tears like everything else.

Apr 7, 2018 11:55 AM
Apr 9, 2018 1:04 AM
Jul 2010
So...like...you’re basically my hero

Apr 10, 2018 6:10 PM
Aug 2015
Well the anime did give some subtle hints that he's alive:
- the "no body" question
- whenever they talked about it it was like "he's not coming back", "the letter won't reach him" or something like that at the beginning and then it turned into "it will reach him, he lives on" - although this can be also literal, if you're into mystery series or have a keen eye I bet you noticed these little changes and the choice of words
- Violet's reaction at the end when she sees who comes to the door - while I believe her reaction is weird after all they went through (I guess she'd probably cry or be terribly surprised, not smiling and keep on introducing herself) it was definitely a hint for us

That aside, I wanted him to be alive all along and at the ending while she read the letter I was like "that's it girl" and bawled my eyes out because I was glad they didn't pull the obvious "wait guess who's back after all".... and the THEY DID THAT
PS - yes I'm aware of the spoilers but you could reach the conclusion without it if you'd be inclined to think so
Apr 11, 2018 10:18 PM
Jun 2010
Neffer-Tari said:
Well the anime did give some subtle hints that he's alive:
- the "no body" question
- whenever they talked about it it was like "he's not coming back", "the letter won't reach him" or something like that at the beginning and then it turned into "it will reach him, he lives on" - although this can be also literal, if you're into mystery series or have a keen eye I bet you noticed these little changes and the choice of words
- Violet's reaction at the end when she sees who comes to the door - while I believe her reaction is weird after all they went through (I guess she'd probably cry or be terribly surprised, not smiling and keep on introducing herself) it was definitely a hint for us

That aside, I wanted him to be alive all along and at the ending while she read the letter I was like "that's it girl" and bawled my eyes out because I was glad they didn't pull the obvious "wait guess who's back after all".... and the THEY DID THAT
PS - yes I'm aware of the spoilers but you could reach the conclusion without it if you'd be inclined to think so

People use euphemisms like that all the time though. He very well could be alive in the anime, but I don't think we were really given any solid evidence. Hints that it's possible, yes, but nothing certain.
Apr 12, 2018 4:23 PM

Jul 2010
I haven't read the light novel but I know he is alive. When she visited his grave she was told they could not find the body.

IN 99% OF ALL MEDIA NO BODY MEANS STILL ALIVE.
Apr 14, 2018 5:52 PM
Apr 2018
Gilber is alive. Watch the Trailer and pause at 0:21. you'll see his damaged eye at the left side also with an eyepatch. maybe he comes back in episode 14.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CJeDetA45Q
Apr 15, 2018 2:04 AM

May 2017
HyperBrid said:
MOB_ABOMINATOR said:
man you're wrong wikia clearly says he's

By saying that he is wrong, why even bother to hide the 'dead'
lol because people either way don't know what he's wrong about, what kind of dumb question is that?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 15, 2018 2:23 AM
Sep 2016
MOB_ABOMINATOR said:
HyperBrid said:

By saying that he is wrong, why even bother to hide the
lol because people either way don't know what he's wrong about, what kind of dumb question is that?

I just realized that the first one was hidden in a spoiler, deleted my message
Apr 15, 2018 4:51 AM

May 2017
HyperBrid said:
MOB_ABOMINATOR said:

I just realized that the first one was hidden in a spoiler, deleted my message
yeah no problem ;-)
Apr 15, 2018 4:21 PM
Jun 2015
I just thought of one thing.. Gilbert wanted Violet to become free, without being dependent on the major's commands. To become that kind of person, it would mean that Violet should be living (at least for a while) without major. Gilbert realised that and decided not to come back until she could get a chance to grow as an independent person.

This would make sense and work as a good explanation why he hasn't informed about himself, IF he was alive.
Apr 15, 2018 8:13 PM
Jun 2010
Ocura said:
I just thought of one thing.. Gilbert wanted Violet to become free, without being dependent on the major's commands. To become that kind of person, it would mean that Violet should be living (at least for a while) without major. Gilbert realised that and decided not to come back until she could get a chance to grow as an independent person.

This would make sense and work as a good explanation why he hasn't informed about himself, IF he was alive.

It doesn't make sense that he's seemingly left his brother and everyone else in the dark too though. Can't think of any reason why he would want to play dead for them.
Apr 16, 2018 1:16 AM
Jun 2015
SamuraiChameleon said:

It doesn't make sense that he's seemingly left his brother and everyone else in the dark too though. Can't think of any reason why he would want to play dead for them.

Yeah, I agree. That may be only one part of the reason. Or then he’s really dead for good. Violet Evergarden hasn’t pleased audience until this day by bringing dead to alive, so we might not get that big happy ending.
Apr 16, 2018 4:18 AM

Oct 2017

Thats out of the way, although I have assumed that everyone here already knows that.
In the anime, THE ONLY SUGGESTION that he is alive is that Violet is suprised at the end of episode 13. trailer doesnt count as canon as far as I'm concerned and simply showing him with the LN eyepatch in a trailer doesn't mean he is alive in the anime.
The anime progressed in such a way that his status as dead was reinforced by many characters. Sure he's "missing" but really at this point it would be stupid to reintroduce him if we get some anime original OVAs or something, once Violet has grown out of him as such. There is room a for a friendship or romantic relationship, but unlike the LN we've had all the characters be 100% on board with him being dead AND we've had a whole arc of Violet coming to terms with his death and what it means to how she lives her life. Really it would be blantant Deus Ex machina for him to come back at this point.

ayewApr 16, 2018 4:27 AM
“Truth is a lie grown old and beloved.” – Soninke saying
-
"For all the happiness you wish for someone, someone else gets cursed with equal misery." - Sayaka Miki
-
http://ayew.host

Apr 16, 2018 4:39 AM

Aug 2015
nice title spoiler asshole
Apr 19, 2018 1:12 AM
Apr 2018
sashaanjo said:
I think more people would be interested in Violet Evergarden if Gilbert was actually alive like in the LN. The LN is a story about Violet and Gilbert, while the anime focuses entirely on Violet, which is boring and that's why many people dropped it.

exactly this. episodes 12 & 13 were huge disappointment but i understand them playing this tricky card to sell more LN copies. also Iris and Erica characters were pretty useless, Cattleya and Benedict werent fleshed out too, most cute person ever Lux Sybil didnt even make it into anime just because they decided to focus on story about war machine becoming human thus completely missed the point of LN plot. it turned this anime from 12/10 after episodes 7-11 to 6/10 after ep 12-13. pity that

Artbelle said:
Yes, a lot people would just jump on him and cry and more, and say oooh Gilbert...I love u now blahblah... But she said " ...Im Violet Evergarden " Not Violet, not " tool ". She could show him first time...that she is that person he want her to be and she just said rest of her classic greeting, because it was sth he want for her the most.

finally someone got it right. hats off
zo-zoApr 19, 2018 1:19 AM
May 4, 2018 5:40 AM
Jun 2017
Well just to correct something,Gilbert lost an eye but he also lost an arm.
He now has a mechanical arm similar to Violet's own.

May 4, 2018 5:55 AM
Jul 2018
Ye he is. It's what's starts the emotional aspect of the show
May 5, 2018 5:56 PM
May 2018
SPOILER-He's alive, I've finished the novel and they reunite and he confesses his love for her and ya bam good ending.
May 7, 2018 6:00 PM
Aug 2013
Anime_lover9 said:
SPOILER-He's alive, I've finished the novel and they reunite and he confesses his love for her and ya bam good ending.

Thank you, I really appreciate your words . . . :))
~ この 素晴らしい イマダ の 世界 に 神様 の 祝福 を !!! ~
~ Kono Subarashii Imad no Sekai ni Kamisama no Shukufuku wo !!! ~
~ God's Blessing on This Wonderful Imad's World !!! ~
May 23, 2018 4:14 AM

Dec 2015
Can we expect season 2 with Gilbert comeback and reunion with violet?
Sep 4, 2018 1:43 PM
Sep 2018
I believe that he is alive. The ambiguity and the hints throughout the show, not to mention that ending, make me believe so.
If there's any chance of him surviving I'm taking that bait. Because I don't like heartbreaking stories that have no happy ending (well, I still like them if they're good, but I prefer the happy ending nonetheless.)
Nov 5, 2018 3:52 AM
Aug 2014
Havent read the Light Novel (only really looked up if he's alive there and how) but in the context of the anime it would make no sense for him to still be alive, especially since we got that last episode with his mother talking to Violet about his death. Perfect happy endings are nice and all but it would just render so much of the show useless

But since anime =/= LN I think we can just agree that it's up to the viewer if he's alive or not.
Nov 10, 2018 10:56 PM
May 2014
Watched the anime and when they say his body wasn't found, I was convinced that he's still alive. Obviously a real life person would've died from those injuries, but main characters have stronger vitality.
loserantNov 10, 2018 11:01 PM
Mar 27, 2019 6:02 PM
Feb 2016
Okay did u guys missed the fact that violet and the major were talking in a closed hall or staircase or what ever and according to the Claudia they found violet outside that means someone had carried her and also the fact that she revists the stair case after war and it was not destroyed by the ball so the question is who carried violet
Apr 8, 2019 8:23 PM

Nov 2010
Hmm, this fact was quite shocking to know. I was so sure that he is dead and I thought he fought the enemy alone after Violet lost consciousness to save her and his body was taken by the enemy somehow and buried someplace else and that's how he ended up MIA.

Well if this is the case then I guess this anime deserves a 2nd season. I can't wait to see how they will be reunited.
Apr 18, 2019 7:06 AM
May 2018
“If to be truthful is to be cruel, then lying must surely be an act of kindness. And so, kindness is a lie.”
Aug 2, 2019 5:50 PM
May 2019
Survives in the LN, is MIA in the anime. This ending is too ambiguous, even for me. While they give the idea he's pretty much dead (but alive in their hearts), it's also true that no body was found. I'll suspend my judgement, but consider the slight possibility that he could be alive. Only slight, though.
Aug 15, 2019 8:41 PM
Dec 2018
Gilbert miraculously survived the war, but at the cost of one of his arms and his right eye. In order for Violet to not go back to the way she used to be, only following his orders and acting as his tool, Gilbert entrusted Hodgins with taking care of Violet. Gilbert also told Hodgins to tell Violet that he was dead, but Hodgins didn't have the heart to tell her at first. Gilbert then secretly continued his life in the army, and he was later promoted to colonel.
Aug 17, 2019 6:54 AM
Sep 2017
Hopefully he is cause that Age gap is NUTS

Sep 5, 2019 1:40 AM

Jul 2013
He's not but I sure wish he was. There's literally no reason for him to be alive aside from forcing a disturbing and shitty romance plot. The story revolves around Violet coming to terms with his death and becoming an independent person. It was left ambiguous especially since it doesn't make sense that his body wasn't found but letting Gilbert come back alive is just a shitty plot direction. I fucking hate how romance has to be forced into stories like this.
Mar 21, 2020 4:28 AM
Dec 2018
soo I just binged the series and after seeing the ending, I don't think he's dead. MAH PEEPS HE ALIVEE!
Mar 21, 2020 9:10 PM
Jul 2019
I knew that he's alive in the original source but I'm not sure if this will help Violet's character development considering his death was the reason she was forced to change. If she discovered he is still alive, not sure about that. I don't really see any reason for him to be alive in the series tbh, but since he's alive in the original source as people are saying then I will just wait and see how does this work if they ever animate this.
Jun 2, 2020 11:41 AM

Aug 2015
Mohammadalmannai said:

I demand to get back all the tears I cried.
...At least let me finish.

Jun 10, 2020 4:54 PM

Jul 2019
Thanks for the spoiler you fuckin jerkoff
Jun 12, 2020 1:12 PM
Sep 2014
I hope he's not alive, that would be lame. Him showing up to save the day during the train scene would be incredibly cheesy and stupid.
Jun 18, 2020 11:33 AM
Jul 2018
In the light novel he's alive; however, I'd really like him not to be alive in the anime; because it goes a slightly different direction where Violet is suppose to grow emotionally and accept his death. If he was alive, it would change the meaning of the story in the anime.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

617 by AMazingWay »»
Apr 22, 5:27 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2018

244 by _Anime-Lover-44_ »»
Apr 15, 1:02 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2018

422 by TabbyPog »»
Apr 5, 2:36 PM

» Do you love Violet Evergarden? ( 1 2 )

Stacias - Jul 19, 2022

90 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 5, 4:41 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2018

239 by AdrianRawr »»
Mar 30, 6:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.