Forum Settings
Forums

Why do members of the Gintama community over inflate Gintama's MAL scores?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
Jan 16, 2018 2:55 PM
May 2017
Paul said:
spacebishijesus said:
"discouraging a fanbase" tbh if more people didn't overinflate scores then maybe gintama would less often be the object of criticism and laughter. in that view my thread could have a positive outcome.

Which I've already mentioned in my first post.

Paul said:
There is nothing wrong with the scores, what's wrong is MAL's system of categorizing its franchise individually instead of as a whole. I'm sure someone's mentioned it already if not many, but Gintama suffers from the sequel effect on MAL, in which people who don't like it won't bother with the next and the ones who do continue and obviously the majority of who enjoy it will rate it highly.

In which you responded that you were already aware of this effect.

So using your own words, in that view, this thread is completely pointless if you already had the answer to your own topic.

Bottom line. There is no inflation. It's simply fans of the series enjoying what they watch and handling it the way MAL has it set up, so if you want anyone to blame, blame MAL's way of handling rating franchises.

"blame MAL's way of handling rating franchises."

that is absolutely a contributing factor yeah but I'm not looking for scapegoats in terms of this website
Jan 16, 2018 2:56 PM

Feb 2015
spacebishijesus said:
SigmaticDoc said:
Because they think it deserves that rating.
It's a great comedy that I can see why it has such a wide appeal and it's a great shonen when it's in it's serious arcs.
There's a lot more to grip you than the typical shonen.
The main characters' past for one is not just thrown out just like that like in most shonen. It's only getting hinted at and we're getting shown some really vague scenes over the course of the story, and you want to know more of course so each of those keeps you interested in the characters, alongside their quirkiness and absurdity that they have and how mature they can be when it actually counts.

Given the series length it would take time to explain why people like Gintama so much and it's not something I am up for atm. But it's not without a reason. I am not one of the people inflating it with 10s but I do think it's great and still deserves a solid 8 or 9.

But in short, Gintama fans give it 10s because they think it deserves a 10, to them, they're not over inflating anything.

confused; you suggest here "am not one of the people inflating it with 10s" that people inflate but then deny it with "Gintama fans give it 10s because they think it deserves a 10, to them, they're not over inflating anything"

what was the takeaway supposed to be?

I didn't explain myself properly, sorry. It's really late in my timezone so I space out a lot,
I forgot to mention - over-inflate with 10s by using multiple accounts to rank it high.
But thinking about it, there are multiple people using alt accounts to bring it's rating lower, I guess it balances out.

Gintama's real rating is pretty much the original 2006 anime's rating.
The rest is due to the sequel effect, it was explained above by a user pretty well.
Basically as the series get more and more seasons, those that didn't stick around and rated it lower get less and less as they won't even bother with newer seasons, leaving only hardcore fans, leading to only positive ratings.
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
May 2017
Paul said:
spacebishijesus said:
"discouraging a fanbase" tbh if more people didn't overinflate scores then maybe gintama would less often be the object of criticism and laughter. in that view my thread could have a positive outcome.

Which I've already mentioned in my first post.

Paul said:
There is nothing wrong with the scores, what's wrong is MAL's system of categorizing its franchise individually instead of as a whole. I'm sure someone's mentioned it already if not many, but Gintama suffers from the sequel effect on MAL, in which people who don't like it won't bother with the next and the ones who do continue and obviously the majority of who enjoy it will rate it highly.

In which you responded that you were already aware of this effect.

So using your own words, in that view, this thread is completely pointless if you already had the answer to your own topic.

Bottom line. There is no inflation. It's simply fans of the series enjoying what they watch and handling it the way MAL has it set up, so if you want anyone to blame, b

lame MAL's way of handling rating franchises.

"So using your own words, in that view, this thread is completely pointless if you already had the answer to your own topic"

I understand this is potentially the case, the point of this thread ( for the 100th time) was to explore if there was any other reason as to why. I feel like we literally discussed this ten minutes ago aha
Jan 2018
spacebishijesus said:
barumungu said:

I just don't think there's any merit to debate with a grade schooler who don't know exactly what they're saying.

bye. I have a life. Not like you.

from your poor english and lack of reponse I'm going to assume you're actually very young yourself.

If you have money, I suggest you go to Japan, meet the animators who made your favorite anime,

believe me their english are worse than mine.
Jan 16, 2018 2:57 PM
May 2017
SigmaticDoc said:
spacebishijesus said:

confused; you suggest here "am not one of the people inflating it with 10s" that people inflate but then deny it with "Gintama fans give it 10s because they think it deserves a 10, to them, they're not over inflating anything"

what was the takeaway supposed to be?

I didn't explain myself properly, sorry. It's really late in my timezone so I space out a lot,
I forgot to mention - over-inflate with 10s by using multiple accounts to rank it high.
But thinking about it, there are multiple people using alt accounts to bring it's rating lower, I guess it balances out.

Gintama's real rating is pretty much the original 2006 anime's rating.
The rest is due to the sequel effect, it was explained above by a user pretty well.
Basically as the series get more and more seasons, those that didn't stick around and rated it lower get less and less as they won't even bother with newer seasons, leaving only hardcore fans, leading to only positive ratings.

sure man it's late here too

"I forgot to mention - over-inflate with 10s by using multiple accounts to rank it high.
But thinking about it, there are multiple people using alt accounts to bring it's rating lower, I guess it balances out."

this definitely seems to be part of the explanation
Jan 16, 2018 2:57 PM

Dec 2016
existentialist said:
I'm not even going to weigh in on this topic because I couldn't get through 5 episodes so I don't understand the appeal.

BUT

Just wanted to point out I think this thread broke the record for most comments in the shortest amount of time. Its been a day and there's almost 300 comments. Shits wack.
People keep on responding to each other and bumps this thread up to the top. However, it is on the edge of a shitstorm, so I wouldn't be surprised if this thread gets locked soon XD
Jan 16, 2018 2:58 PM

May 2015
spacebishijesus said:
Sean- said:

Not as bad as Gintama haters or haters of any anime.

so you're saying people are bad when they disagree with you or dislike something you like? what a snowflake lmao

You're not very bright. He obviously meant the people giving everything in the series a 1 and shitting on the fanbase for liking the show. Kinda like what you and many others have already done in this thread.

Jan 16, 2018 2:59 PM

Jun 2011
kisb said:
Energetic-Nova said:
I don't know why we can't have a listing of top anime with the best scoring in the franchise being the representative in the top anime. It would just be nice to see the list be a little more diverse...

just curious.. what things would you consider when measuring to determine top anime

I said, one from the highest rated part of the franchise to represent. No repeating anime. That way you can see something more diverse. Obviously there should also be the free for all top anime version too. But I just want one of the lists to remove all but one representative of the franchise. Don't care if Gintama is #1. I care about just being able to see more than a couple franchises listed over and over. There could be that or just use the first one in the franchise as the representitive. But heck, don't care if it is the sequel, I just want to see a list of top anime with no repeats.

There should also be a toggle for movies to remove movies connected to a series that way you can see only movies not connected to other anime.
Energetic-NovaJan 16, 2018 3:09 PM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jan 16, 2018 2:59 PM
May 2017
barumungu said:
spacebishijesus said:

from your poor english and lack of reponse I'm going to assume you're actually very young yourself.

If you have money, I suggest you go to Japan, meet the animators who made your favorite anime,

I hope you appreciate how nigh no impossible and unpragamatic that is. It's not really a good or relevant comparision though so again what is your point?

I apologise criticizing your english though, and applaud you for your efforts, it's better than my german. but yeah that was a low blow and uncalled for and therefore I am sorry
Jan 16, 2018 3:00 PM
May 2017
Kittens-kun said:
spacebishijesus said:

so you're saying people are bad when they disagree with you or dislike something you like? what a snowflake lmao

You're not very bright. He obviously meant the people giving everything in the series a 1 and shitting on the fanbase for liking the show. Kinda like what you and many others have already done in this thread.

I'm aware, that was what my comment addressed.
Jan 16, 2018 3:00 PM

Nov 2016
spacebishijesus said:
kisb said:

sorry
meant like the formula for MAL itself to use for scoring top anime
because people keep saying its not representative and i dont understand that

I completely agree it's not representative too. Angel beats is really high up there and NO ONE talks about it anymore. just because it was popular then doesn't mean it is now (same can be argued for gintama) and therefore the lists are so unrepresentative it's not funny

But that would be popularity for time periods and therefore people would miss out on shows like cowboy bebop or NGE (both of which i havent watched)
as it is now it represents popularity for all time, total number of people who have seen it or plan to watch it
Its about society. people have watched angel beats its just how it is

anyway, the scores are fine. MAL is awesome.
nice day humans
Jan 16, 2018 3:01 PM
May 2017
Kittens-kun said:
spacebishijesus said:

however you are a snowflake if you believe the original post was " shitting on the fanbase for liking the show" I dislike both the fans and the show but I don't care for seriously mocking someone for their taste in anime
Jan 16, 2018 3:02 PM
May 2017
kisb said:
spacebishijesus said:

I completely agree it's not representative too. Angel beats is really high up there and NO ONE talks about it anymore. just because it was popular then doesn't mean it is now (same can be argued for gintama) and therefore the lists are so unrepresentative it's not funny

But that would be popularity for time periods and therefore people would miss out on shows like cowboy bebop or NGE (both of which i havent watched)
as it is now it represents popularity for all time, total number of people who have seen it or plan to watch it
Its about society. people have watched angel beats its just how it is

anyway, the scores are fine. MAL is awesome.
nice day humans

imagine (if this website still exists and is used) if your name/death note was still at the top in ten years from now. technically death note may still be the most popular but not by contemporary standards. it's a difficult issue but I as I said I don't think they have to change tbf
Jan 16, 2018 3:05 PM

Nov 2016
Energetic-Nova said:
kisb said:

just curious.. what things would you consider when measuring to determine top anime

I said, one from the highest rated part of the franchise to represent. No repeating anime. That way you can see something more diverse. Obviously there should also be the free for all top anime version too. But I just want one of the lists to remove all but one representative of the franchise. Don't care if Gintama is #1. I care about just being able to see more than a couple franchises listed over and over. There could be that or just use the first one in the franchise as the representitive. But heck, don't care if it is the sequel, I just want to see a list of top anime with no repeats.

that actually sounds like a good idea. for Gintama it has to be season 5 because it was intense
Jan 16, 2018 3:13 PM

Jun 2011
kisb said:
Energetic-Nova said:

that actually sounds like a good idea. for Gintama it has to be season 5 because it was intense

Yeah, it would just be whatever is rated highest. which I don't care it if is season 1 or season 5. Yugioh for instance would only have Duel Monsters series for instance even though it's cast changes.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jan 16, 2018 3:15 PM

May 2015
spacebishijesus said:
Kittens-kun said:

however you are a snowflake if you believe the original post was " shitting on the fanbase for liking the show" I dislike both the fans and the show but I don't care for seriously mocking someone for their taste in anime

Your original post might not have been, but you've replied to the majority of people in this thread, and a lot of your replies are exactly what I described.

Jan 16, 2018 3:16 PM
May 2017
Kittens-kun said:
spacebishijesus said:

Your original post might not have been, but you've replied to the majority of people in this thread, and a lot of your replies are exactly what I described.

yeah that's true. refer to the comment I made early regarding my admission as to this thread being Bait.
Jan 16, 2018 4:34 PM
Jul 2018
There seems to be this tendency I’ve observed for hardcore gintama fans to be vehement. Don’t ask me why.

I still don’t have any interest in watching the anime. It doesn’t look great or amazingly engaging. Nothing about it stands out to me, it kind of blends into the background as one of those series I’ll never understand the popularity of.
Jan 16, 2018 5:02 PM

Sep 2011
Thread Locked

Controversial topic that's been discussed before as a broader topic. The Gintama board has many threads already made asking why users have enjoyed it and the works that this thread was already asking.

Gintama's first season scored 9.02. And due to how MAL does its ratings, seasons continue to be separated one after another. No one would be complaining if they were put together, as the scores would be evened out. Seeing as how most people who continue to watch Gintama each season are people who enjoyed the series enough to keep on following, and generally, these people will score 7-10. People who had dropped the show and otherwise rated it below probably won't. Though people who do rate it below will most likely still watch the next seasons if they're someone like me who still watches another season despite it being shit (Talking in a broader aspect here).

But there's no real difference here compared to the people who drop every season and or otherwise do 24/51, 5/11 seen, etc. for each season and have it as dropped with a 1/10 or any score for that matter. Dropping one season shouldn't gauge you for dropping another season. People who do this are just as bad or even worse than the actual fanbase that you say "inflate the scores," which I addressed.

Gintama is no different from inflated scores than it is to FMA: Brotherhood, Clannad: Afterstory, etc. where people will rate it 10/10 solely to get it above their favorite show as proven by the amount of alt accounts people make with their time. Only reason Gintama's score is so inflated is due to fans continuing to like the show and rating it a high score. Add onto the member count compared to previous seasons and to other shows out there, it's obvious why it's high up.

In final, considering the state of this topic: User(s) bashing each other all over the topic as well the the OP topic discussion specifically targeting Gintama, where Anime discussion is supposed to be a broad topic not pertaining to one series at hand, this thread will be locked.

Breaking the Site Rules will warrant you a warning/ban. Please read this before posting on the forums.
TyrelJan 16, 2018 5:07 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

» What does it mean when you rate an anime 6? ( 1 2 )

Akuya - Yesterday

69 by L0bsterman »»
1 minute ago

» Would you support AI generated Anime?

Dragevard - Yesterday

38 by Chris_Concept »»
4 minutes ago

» Endless eight and mental health concerns

trinitroglycerin - 10 hours ago

11 by MasterTasuke »»
5 minutes ago

» Hentai Tags ( 1 2 )

HentaixxHunter - May 16, 2022

90 by Anjuro »»
13 minutes ago

» Anime Drinking Games

EverRealm - 11 hours ago

9 by LNW_R92CP »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.