Forum Settings
Forums

what is the chance of an outsider to become a mangaka in japan?

New
Jan 10, 2018 4:34 AM
Feb 2016
it is not impossible or some silly thing. Its just uncommon. Either you maybe dont know about these thing. The business would much look out for something that would profit them rather than just throw things away blindly based on a bit of background difference, with some kind of rules and standard of course. This include how fluent they are in japanese lang. and how much their work fits japanese manga style/culture. Some even needed them to stay in japan itself. The key is their work quality. There are some manga artist from china and korea, and russia from what i know that made it and its not turning into a dissapointment since they worked it hard. Though the japanese is given the priority, and that makes an outsider's participation is lost under the radar by the publishers. And i still have something to ask to those who knows anything related.
1. Even with a good quality of work, fluent japanese, stay in japan etc (just similar to the resident) , is there anything that still blocks their chance, which japanese didnt have to face with just the same trait i mentioned before, other than being a foreigner?
2. The chances?
3. I heard that participating in manga contest increase their chance. But how much its influence? Other than that what can increase their chance? (just to say, if not mistaken there is a worldwide manga contest by shonen jump, just for oneshot)
4. Anything else?

Thanks.
Jan 10, 2018 10:19 AM
Jul 2018
It is not impossibe afterall the light novel writer of NGNL was Brazillian but the chances are extremely low.

1.IDK
2.The chances for even Japanese becoming a popular mangaka are very low.
3. The influence increases dramatically. Winning any manga contest increases your 'potential' to SJ.
4. The time taken to be a mangaka is very long. Even if you win the contest, you would have to spend lots of time pitching your idea to SJ, hope that it gets accepted, spend hours to draw a chapter and get it published, hope the readers polls are good for you, rinse and repeat.
removed-userJan 10, 2018 10:22 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » What is your favorite shounen arc?

HM0710 - Sep 6, 2021

17 by Rhaelynne »»
1 hour ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1056 by Francis_0 »»
4 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

377 by Nissy »»
4 hours ago

» When will be the next chapter of One punch Man released ?

MagrMal - Apr 23

3 by GudBoy »»
6 hours ago

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

67 by rurina-chan »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.