Forum Settings
Forums
New
Which order should the Fate franchise be watched?
Nov 30, 2017 1:02 AM

Jan 2016
So my sister recently got into anime and wants to get into the Fate franchise given that Fate/Apocrypha is currently airing. I've watched the Fate series but I honestly have no clue on which order to recommend watching it (Note: I watched it in order starting with Fate/Zero > Fate/Stay Night > Unlimited Blade Works > Fate/Apocrypha). Is there a proper order to watch the franchise or should I just let her watch it in the same order I did?
Nov 30, 2017 2:29 AM

Oct 2014
Normally, I tell anyone to read the VN, Realta Nua exists. but I doubt she'd want to read it so..

If you can wait for all 3 HF movies to come out then:
UBW > HF > Zero > FSN 2006(optional, if you want to suffer)

If you can't wait for HF movies, then order doesn't matter as much, pick one of these:

UBW > Zero > HF - FSN 2006(optional, if you want to suffer)

or

Zero > UBW > HF - FSN 2006(optional, if you want to suffer)

Apocrypha can be watched standalone, but she may not understand some things if she starts with it.

Obligatory links:
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1286059
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/wiki/seriesfaq-fate
Nov 30, 2017 3:44 AM

Nov 2017
I would personally agree with starting with the Fate/Zero series, if for no other reason than the fact that watching Unlimited Blade Works, Heaven's Feel or even the Fate/Stay Night 2006 version all somewhat spoil the ending of Fate/Zero.

I also personally found that the Fate/Zero series refrains from keeping you in the dark for quite some time, and it does therefore not hesitate to tell you how the whole Grail War works and whatnot.

I'd go for: Fate/Zero -> Unlimited Blade Works -> Heaven's Feel. If your sister still feels like watching some more Fate, I would say she could then try the 2006 version of Fate/Stay Night. It's not really necessary, and it would be troublesome to watch unless you are hungry for more Fate.

I'm waiting for Fate/Apocrypha to finish airing so I can sit through it in one go, but I'm guessing that like Shayon said it would fit mostly anywhere, but I would not recommend to start with it.

"Believing you can,
means you're already halfway there"

Blog Posts | Reviews
Nov 30, 2017 4:02 AM

Mar 2016
Fate Zero > Fate Stay Night 2006 (Saber route) / Fate UBW (Rin route) / Heaven's Feel (Sakura route) ... choose what you prefer.
Fate Zero > Fate Apocrypha
Nov 30, 2017 12:10 PM

Sep 2017
Murasaki_Kage said:
So my sister recently got into anime and wants to get into the Fate franchise given that Fate/Apocrypha is currently airing. I've watched the Fate series but I honestly have no clue on which order to recommend watching it (Note: I watched it in order starting with Fate/Zero > Fate/Stay Night > Unlimited Blade Works > Fate/Apocrypha). Is there a proper order to watch the franchise or should I just let her watch it in the same order I did?

Zero>UBW>HF prevents spoilers and is according to the airing chronology, you can stick fate stay night at the beginning but I didn't watch it
Dec 1, 2017 1:07 AM

Oct 2014
MX_Theo said:
Zero>UBW>HF prevents spoilers

Doesn't. Stay night and Zero spoil eachother.

Zero has massive spoilers for the Fate and HF routes, while Stay night routes in general spoil the ending of Zero.

youseiki said:
Fate Zero > Fate Stay Night 2006 (Saber route) / Fate UBW (Rin route) / Heaven's Feel (Sakura route) ... choose what you prefer.

The first HF movie assumes you have watched UBW at least and skips/fast-forwards the important parts in the beginning, including character introductions from what I heard. You can't just go to theaters and start Stay night with that.
Dec 3, 2017 8:13 PM

Jan 2016
Thanks guys! :) I think I'll recommend the airing order (Skipping out on Stay Night if possible)
Dec 6, 2017 9:06 PM

May 2015
None of those. Read the visual novel first. It's a more complete experience and the original story that they're all based off of.

More topics from this board

» Any anime with a despicable/contemptible villain?

Gfralp - 4 hours ago

3 by Spunkert »»
26 minutes ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

21 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
1 hour ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - Apr 24

2 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
2 hours ago

» RomCom Suggestions for someone who's seen a lot of em

Benassiesto - Yesterday

7 by Tsuyatoash »»
2 hours ago

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - Yesterday

4 by Zarutaku »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.