Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 27, 2017 8:33 AM

Oct 2014
I should've made this poll earlier. Totally forgot about this.
Which distro base you like the most?
I started using linux with Pardus before they switch to a debian base then I switched to Ubuntu and Mint(debian), OpenSUSE, Fedora, Arch, Manjaro(Arch) then finally I'm on Gentoo now.
I'm done with distrohopping and happy with Gentoo. The only problem is compilation time but it's okay
So how about you?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Aug 29, 2017 1:15 PM

Sep 2009
Started with Ubuntu, jumped between various flavors and Debian, switched to Mint when it came out, tried rpm distros like Fedora and OpenSUSE but quickly returned to Mint, switched to NixOS, Mint again and finally found Manjaro.

I've been using Manjaro for 4-5 years now (same install even). I lost all will to distrohop after discovering the Arch family and AUR.
Aug 29, 2017 7:22 PM

Oct 2014
IDex said:
Started with Ubuntu, jumped between various flavors and Debian, switched to Mint when it came out, tried rpm distros like Fedora and OpenSUSE but quickly returned to Mint, switched to NixOS, Mint again and finally found Manjaro.

I've been using Manjaro for 4-5 years now (same install even). I lost all will to distrohop after discovering the Arch family and AUR.

Yeah arch is great. I wouldn't switch if they didn't have ridiculous dependencies with some packages. They dropped ABS too.
Sep 5, 2017 9:30 AM

Jul 2015
Arch. Not really sure why but I guess I found packaging new software easier. PKGBUILDs are literally just shell scripts.
IDex said:
switched to NixOS

From when I tried on a VM, it has superb package manager and reliability. Unfortunately those come with the issue that it is really bizarre compared to traditional *nix systems. Also didn't liked Nix and I found GuixSD which uses Scheme-derived Guile better on that regard.
Cnon said:
They dropped ABS too.

Not much of a problem. For single packages `asp` (github.com/falconindy/asp) which makes use of the svn2git repos can be used instead whereas for the complete trees svn or git themselves will work.
Sep 5, 2017 10:01 AM

Oct 2014
konfou said:
Arch. Not really sure why but I guess I found packaging new software easier. PKGBUILDs are literally just shell scripts.
IDex said:
switched to NixOS

From when I tried on a VM, it has superb package manager and reliability. Unfortunately those come with the issue that it is really bizarre compared to traditional *nix systems. Also didn't liked Nix and I found GuixSD which uses Scheme-derived Guile better on that regard.
Cnon said:
They dropped ABS too.

Not much of a problem. For single packages `asp` (github.com/falconindy/asp) which makes use of the svn2git repos can be used instead whereas for the complete trees svn or git themselves will work.

So they made an ABS alternative cool.
Nov 7, 2017 12:22 PM

Sep 2008
I'm on lazy people's Arch (Manjaro) with the Cinnamon desktop enviroment. It's not more painful than any other distros for "general use" and the rolling release model rocks.
Nov 26, 2017 7:00 AM

Oct 2014
tion74 said:
I'm on lazy people's Arch (Manjaro) with the Cinnamon desktop enviroment. It's not more painful than any other distros for "general use" and the rolling release model rocks.

yeah rolling release model is great. You don't have to reinstall every time when a new version releases
Nov 27, 2017 12:38 PM

Sep 2008
Cnon said:
yeah rolling release model is great. You don't have to reinstall every time when a new version releases

The other Manjaro goodness I've recently experienced is kernel updates and how painless they become. I'm actually very glad that my update to 4.14 LTS didn't killed my system and it spared my display server.

(A few years ago I tried to update Ubuntu's kernel with the GUI tool... err, well, it didn't survive the process.)
Nov 27, 2017 12:42 PM

Oct 2014
tion74 said:
Cnon said:

The other Manjaro goodness I've recently experienced is kernel updates and how painless they become. I'm actually very glad that my update to 4.14 LTS didn't killed my system and it spared my display server.

(A few years ago I tried to update Ubuntu's kernel with the GUI tool... err, well, it didn't survive the process.)

well I guess manjaro tests kernels more rigorously but you should also check the compatibility between graphic drivers and xorg and kernel before upgrading the kernel.
Dec 10, 2018 9:38 AM
Sep 2018
Started ubuntu,then mint cinnamon,finally mint xfce.
Tried arch,redhat,debian,knoppix,puppy,fedora in vm.
Apr 20, 2019 2:04 AM

Mar 2019
openSUSE Tumbleweed here :3
Oct 5, 2019 12:22 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
I started with OpenSuse and KDE in 2007 because of my IT class. The teacher did a great job to introduce us to this distrobution.

Unfortunately unexperienced I did step in the Yast install indepencies hell of linux. This lead to a long switch to Windows, but after a great return to Kubuntu in 2018 I am already fallen in love with linux, again.

In 2019 I switched to Manjaro and I really appreciate the access to the AUR and also the great AUR install helper (yay). Arch is an awesome base for linux distrobution.
Oct 5, 2019 1:08 PM

Sep 2008
I switched to Arch Linux from Manjaro back in March because two update-related system breakdown for a year is too much for me. It was worth to change.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Poll: » Poll: How often do you update your system?

Cnon - Dec 19, 2023

5 by Klefki_of_Awsome »»
Dec 20, 2023 5:12 PM

» What distro are you using? ( 1 2 )

Cnon - Sep 1, 2015

58 by Sasbyek »»
Dec 15, 2023 10:47 AM

Poll: » Your favorite File Manager

Cnon - Mar 28, 2017

7 by Cnon »»
Oct 22, 2023 1:15 PM

» What do you think about trinity desktop

Cnon - Aug 12, 2023

3 by konfou »»
Sep 28, 2023 3:09 AM

Poll: » Text editor of your choice

Cnon - Jun 16, 2020

23 by Sasbyek »»
Sep 26, 2023 5:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.