Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 4, 2010 8:38 PM

Apr 2009
Being Otaku is hard for me,my classmates sometimes tease me,most of the time I'm hiding my anime items from them. There are times that I'm hiding my collection of anime dvd from my parents,because I know that they will get mad if they knew that I'm spending my allowance in that. But my room is filled with posters! heheh^^
When I'm at school I'm still relating reality from fantasy..example,I wish we have an Anime club in our campus,I wish we have a short skirt as a uniform,I wish we have a complete season here in Philippines and lots of more....I guess that just happens in the world of anime.

My question is really Being an Otaku needs to be proud of? why?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 4, 2010 8:42 PM

Apr 2008
Why should anyone be proud of being an otaku?
Are you accomplishing something extraordinary by being an otoku?
Is there something to be proud of in being an otaku?
Shouldn't pride be reserved for special accomplishments?
Mar 4, 2010 8:42 PM

Mar 2010
Whoever teases you for being who you are deserves being falcon punch'd in the ovaries.
There's nothing to be ashamed of, as long as you stay true to yourself.
Mar 4, 2010 8:57 PM

Apr 2009
astronomical said:

because being an otaku is unique, anime lovers have wider imagination than others.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 4, 2010 8:57 PM

Aug 2009
Glad I'm not an Otaku, but looking at your post, you really have a problem.

ezaya said:

because being an otaku is unique, anime lovers have wider imagination than others.

You could also say that for those who loves: Independant films, painting, music, danse, etc.
-Fixing-
Mar 4, 2010 9:02 PM
Feb 2010
I don't think I'm capable of being an otaku (fortunately). From what I hear: band camp = anime club

Sorry I can't relate to you, but try hitting the people teasing you upside the head (preferably with a literature textbook).
Mar 4, 2010 9:07 PM

Jun 2009
meh.

Just another entertainment.

Ask yourself, what do you accomplish by being a hardcore basketball fan that sits in front of your TV and screaming at the referees?

nothing.

Though if my dad heard that, he'll just get pissed off and say that it's sport and people get paid money to have knowledge about it. Certainly not him. not even 1/1000 of them get paid.

a bit like watching anime and scream about bad characters and plot (Though I won't scream at the tv and jump around having orgasm if a good plot is executed). but even knowing anime doesn't come with benefits.

just entertainment.

My brother play fantasy basketball call buzzerbeater, he is so extreme he'll watch the whole simulation game, just scoreboards and statustic jumping, and he gets excited over it, personally, I don't think doing drugs will help me appreciate watching score boards.
AirStylesMar 4, 2010 9:12 PM
Mar 4, 2010 9:13 PM

Sep 2009
Proud of being an otaku? Maybe, I don't really consider myself to be an otaku, but I might be? I like to see myself more as a casual anime lover, love/hate relationships? idk.

None of my frinds at school really know that I watch anime, probably that it doesn't really come up in conversation. Although the anime club posters at my school get vandalized a lot so that's how much I really want to get out of my "otaku closet". 8/
Fire Emblem: Kakusei
Mar 4, 2010 9:14 PM

Apr 2008
ezaya said:
astronomical said:
Mhm, keep telling yourself that.
Mar 4, 2010 9:27 PM

Jun 2009
astronomical said:
ezaya said:
astronomical said:

It can be true though...

Watching weekly soap vs watching shows from huge varieties. e.g.

have you ever find anything like Pokemon outside of anime?
have you ever find anything like Clannad After Story?
Like Yu-Gi-Oh?
(obligatory)
Like Legends of The Galactic Heroes?
Like Death Note?
Like Gurren Lagann?
(obligatory)
Like Code Geass?

Anime, being 2-D, can tackle fantasies that 3D couldn't.
Mar 4, 2010 9:29 PM

Dec 2009
i hardly ever express my love for anime, unless someone asks "what do you do for fun" or something like that, I just say, "I watch a lot of anime"

and it makes me feel proud to say that.
Mar 4, 2010 9:32 PM

Apr 2008
AirStyles said:
astronomical said:
ezaya said:
astronomical said:
It can be true though...

Like Yu-Gi-Oh?
(obligatory)
Like Death Note?
Like Gurren Lagann?
(obligatory)
Like Code Geass?

Yeah, I know, fantasies. I'm a pretty avid watcher of anime so I'm aware, but it's still not accomplishing anything. Do most otaku do anything with their wider imagination? Maybe 0.1% of them. And watching anime isn't that unique. Most of my friends watch anime regularly or at least sometimes and only a couple of them are otaku.
Mar 4, 2010 9:37 PM

May 2008
I'm not absolutely sure I'm an otaku. Seems a rather subjective thing anyway. Practically everyone's an otaku to somebody. While to others, you have to have practically be a shut it who has only once left it and to commit a heinous crime to be an otaku.

If drooling over anime characters, loving the style, and having watched over a hundred of the series makes one an otaku, then I guess I am one. And I'd might as well have self esteem in that. And the whole pride thing makes it sound like I'm part of a cultural uprising. Or at least a subculture. Which I guess it is? Heil Haruhi! Ein Volks, ein Reich, ein Desu!

Pride is an awfully amusing thing that several subcultures, minorities, and even some majority seem to do. Personally, I don't care. Wherever there's party. Something otaku pride and gay pride sounds a lot better than white pride because I can tag-a-long an Asian boyfriend to those.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Mar 4, 2010 9:37 PM

Jun 2009
astronomical said:
AirStyles said:
astronomical said:
ezaya said:
astronomical said:
It can be true though...

Like Yu-Gi-Oh?
(obligatory)
Like Death Note?
Like Gurren Lagann?
(obligatory)
Like Code Geass?

Yeah, I know, fantasies. I'm a pretty avid watcher of anime so I'm aware, but it's still not accomplishing anything. Do most otaku do anything with their wider imagination? Maybe 0.1% of them. And watching anime isn't that unique. Most of my friends watch anime regularly or at least sometimes and only a couple of them are otaku.

Just like others area as well, I know some soccer fanatic, some wrestling fanatic, some MMA fanatic, some music fanatic. But what can most of them do with their knowledge, just like us, talking with other people. Probably through the net.
Mar 4, 2010 9:48 PM

Oct 2009
You're not an otaku. You're just a normal fan.
Mar 4, 2010 9:50 PM

Aug 2009
snow-usagi said:

I don't recall someone who wishes his school to have mini skirt a normal fan.
-Fixing-
Mar 4, 2010 10:00 PM

Jun 2009
Wilio said:
snow-usagi said:

I wish my highschool have mini skirt as uniform. What's wrong with that? Most girls at my school wear jeans. (Non uniform school)

Now I'm in college though.
Mar 4, 2010 10:05 PM

Oct 2009
Wilio said:
snow-usagi said:

I wish my school had mini-skirt uniforms. I'm sure many men do as well.
I don't see a problem with that at all.
Mar 4, 2010 10:08 PM

Apr 2009
AirStyles said:
Wilio said:
snow-usagi said:

I wish my highschool have mini skirt as uniform. What's wrong with that? Most girls at my school wear jeans. (Non uniform school)

Now I'm in college though.

There is no problem in wearing mini skirts as long the students are enjoying it..
Mar 4, 2010 10:13 PM

Apr 2008
AirStyles said:
Just like others area as well, I know some soccer fanatic, some wrestling fanatic, some MMA fanatic, some music fanatic. But what can most of them do with their knowledge, just like us, talking with other people. Probably through the net.
Yeah, what I'm saying doesn't only apply to anime fandom and being an otaku. I feel the same about pride in those areas as well. You feel proud your favorite sports team won? What did you ever do to help them achieve that? They should be proud for winning but the most you probably ever did was buy a ticket to their game, a jersey and cheered for them.

Also, pride in your race. Why would someone feel proud for being born black, white, pacific islander, etc. They did nothing special to be born that way, they had no control over it. Sure you can feel proud for your race if you you have done something for them, such as MLK Jr, but even that is more of being proud in yourself and not your race. Unless of course you believe that your whole entire race has achieved something amazing and deserve to be proud. *cough*Hitler*cough* And look at what that cause him to do. (And that's only one, fairly extreme example.)
Mar 4, 2010 10:14 PM
Manga Moderator
Sleepy

Jul 2009
I consider myself a normal fan. Real Otaku's probably buy tons of wall scrolls and figurines. Go to anime fan conventions and go so far as to cosplay. Even go so far as to buy fuckin anime sheets... Collections that literally cover your entire room -__- I just mainly watch a lot of anime, but I don't ever see myself going nuts and start a collection of anything. So no I couldn't be proud as a "REAL" otaku and nobody should. It's just sad. It's nice to be a fan, but when it starts to affect your daily life enough is enough.
Mar 4, 2010 10:16 PM

Apr 2008
Also, I'm sure many girls such as myself oppose to the whole mini-skirt uniform thing.
Why should we be forced to wear uncomfortable little skirts while guys get pants?
Mar 4, 2010 10:17 PM

Apr 2008
TheFallenOne said:
I consider myself a normal fan. Real Otaku's probably buy tons of wall scrolls and figurines. Go to anime fan conventions and go so far as to cosplay. Even go so far as to buy fuckin anime sheets... Collections that literally cover your entire room -__- I just mainly watch a lot of anime, but I don't ever see myself going nuts and start a collection of anything. So no I couldn't be proud as a "REAL" otaku and nobody should. It's just sad. It's nice to be a fan, but when it starts to affect your daily life enough is enough.
I have to say I'm the same. Just a regular fan.
I enjoy watching anime like others may enjoy watching Lost, Heroes, etc.
But definitely not like those crazy Twilight fans...
Mar 4, 2010 10:18 PM

Aug 2009
snow-usagi said:
Wilio said:
snow-usagi said:

You're missing the point. He wants miniskirt to be in his little anime school world. This is what I mean by not being a normal fan.
-Fixing-
Mar 4, 2010 10:26 PM

Sep 2009
I think saying that "Nobody should be proud of being your definition of an otaku" is just really harsh. I mean, so they buy wall scrolls and go to conventions. Is this really that huge of a problem? I mean, you guys just seemed to overplay it a little imo.
Mar 4, 2010 10:26 PM

May 2008
I agree with the idea that racial pride is silly.
As are most other group prides.

Mar 4, 2010 10:30 PM

Oct 2009
Wilio said:
snow-usagi said:
Wilio said:
snow-usagi said:

You're missing the point. He wants miniskirt to be in his little anime school world. This is what I mean by not being a normal fan.

I still see nothing wrong with that.
Mar 4, 2010 10:30 PM

Apr 2009
I consider a person who watched a hundred+ anime as an otaku..
There is no wrong in watching anime,it's my only stress reliever whenever I have a problem.Just be yourself..
Mar 4, 2010 10:31 PM

Aug 2009
snow-usagi said:
Wilio said:
snow-usagi said:
Wilio said:
snow-usagi said:

I still see nothing wrong with that.

Forcing girls to wear miniskirt, I see something wrong with that.
-Fixing-
Mar 4, 2010 10:32 PM

Apr 2008
ukonkivi said:
Thank you. This is what I've been saying the whole time. Saying "I'm proud of being an otaku" is pretty much like saying "I'm proud that I watch anime to entertain myself, obsess over it and spend a ton of money on it" or in another case "I'm proud that I'm in love with a fictional character by the name of Edward Cullen" yeahhh, Twilight fan pride, no.
Mar 4, 2010 10:37 PM

Sep 2009
Oops, I totally misinterpeted it. Haha, racial pride is ridiculous. I thought you guys were saying it's wrong to be an Otaku period, resulting me going wtf?

Being unecessarily proud is just a downfall 8/
Mar 4, 2010 10:38 PM

Oct 2009
Wilio said:

Forcing girls to wear miniskirt, I see something wrong with that.

How is that wrong? They can always wear something under the skirt such as shorts and most school uniform skirts are pretty long anyway.
Mar 4, 2010 10:41 PM

Apr 2009
Revision of the question..."Are you proud that you watch anime?"

a Big YES!!
Mar 4, 2010 10:44 PM

Apr 2008
ezaya said:
Revision of the question..."Are you proud that you watch anime?"

a Big YES!!
It's still the same thing, unnecessary/uncalled for pride.
Mar 4, 2010 11:13 PM

Jul 2009
I'm not an otaku so I wouldn't know.
I don't buy posters, cosplay and other sorts like that.
My room is filled with absolutely nothing :)
あらあら。。。^^
Mar 4, 2010 11:15 PM

Dec 2009
guu_ said:
I'm not an otaku so I wouldn't know.
I don't buy posters, cosplay and other sorts like that.
My room is filled with absolutely nothing :)

Same here, except I have a pokemon shirt from a few years ago.
Mar 4, 2010 11:27 PM

Jun 2009
I got nothing too...

but i'll definitely buy something if it's sold in my country.
Mar 4, 2010 11:51 PM

Feb 2008
I don't consider myself to be an otaku, even though I've watched way over 600 shows. I'm just your avid anime/manga watcher/reader.
I don't even own any figurines or posters (though I wouldn't mind having some).
Mar 4, 2010 11:56 PM

May 2008
astronomical said:
ukonkivi said:
Thank you. This is what I've been saying the whole time. Saying "I'm proud of being an otaku" is pretty much like saying "I'm proud that I watch anime to entertain myself, obsess over it and spend a ton of money on it" or in another case "I'm proud that I'm in love with a fictional character by the name of Edward Cullen" yeahhh, Twilight fan pride, no.

Well, it's not like a person shouldn't have self esteem. But "pride" seems a bit much of a word for a lot of instances it's used. Pride isn't the same as self esteem, which is the way a lot of people seem to use it in relation to subcultural identity.

Mar 5, 2010 12:33 AM

Feb 2010
wow ukonkivi 33k posts o_O

Mar 5, 2010 12:40 AM

Apr 2008
ukonkivi said:
astronomical said:
ukonkivi said:

Well, it's not like a person shouldn't have self esteem. But "pride" seems a bit much of a word for a lot of instances it's used. Pride isn't the same as self esteem, which is the way a lot of people seem to use it in relation to subcultural identity.
Mhm, and I was talking about pride. Self esteem was never mentioned.
Mar 5, 2010 12:41 AM

Mar 2009
I don't think being an otaku is something to be proud of. It's just part of a person.
Mar 5, 2010 5:36 AM

Feb 2005
Even if I were an otaku, I sure wouldn't be proud of it.
Or at least, that's what I say now, but if I actually were one, I might have thought differently of course.
Mar 5, 2010 6:47 AM

May 2009
I don't think I qualify as an otaku; I don't spend any money on anime/manga related merchandise. I just love to watch anime and read manga.
Mar 5, 2010 6:55 AM

Jul 2009
i don't really know if i'm an otaku or not.. but i'm just satisfied watching anime and collecting some anime stuffs.. hehe
Mar 5, 2010 8:25 AM

Aug 2007
I don't get why some people feel the need to say that.

"Hey guys, I'm obsessive with my hobby and interest"

Really don't need to point that out.

Mar 5, 2010 8:54 AM

Aug 2008
ezaya said:
My question is really Being an Otaku needs to be proud of? why?

Here's my answer:
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Mar 5, 2010 9:00 AM

Oct 2007
TheFallenOne said:

Same here. I just watch anime and I read manga a lot.
Mar 5, 2010 9:34 AM

Feb 2010
YES I SHOUT IT TO THE HEAVENS!
HEAR THAT WORLD!?
Mar 5, 2010 11:16 AM

Jan 2009
I'm not a otaku, and you should not be proud for being one.
Although buying some anime merchandise is fine imo. I have a few dvd series and a straw hat flag wallscroll in my room.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Guys I did it!

TsutanaiFuun - 8 hours ago

22 by BitChilly »»
37 seconds ago

» Would you or have you watched anime with your family (1 or more members)?

ToastWithNutella - 9 hours ago

26 by Tavi2112 »»
53 seconds ago

» If your favorite anime exploded in popularity to the point that everyone in socmed talks about it, would you like it or not?

Rinrinka - 11 minutes ago

2 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
2 minutes ago

» What anime song (intro, outro, j-pop) of the ringtone do you use right now?

Kiryotsu - 8 hours ago

13 by Zettaiken »»
19 minutes ago

» Let's Hope the Whole "Girls Golfing" Is A New Thing That Keeps Going...

simonitro - 7 hours ago

6 by MasterTasuke »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.