Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 11, 2017 9:58 AM

Oct 2012
so just finished watching the netflix animated Castlevania its 4 episodes long and its definitely worth watching good visuals and story plot it also has some Japanese dub on illegal sites for some reason. it somehow reminded me of hellsing ultimate for its very gore theme.

for the purpose of this topic, since looking through the search engine of myanimelist i found that castlevania is a manga, even tho technically speaking it was hosted by netflix still it was adopted from Japanese content can't it be considered an anime?
My biggest regret is using my real name as my user name.

The continuous pursuit of finding that genuine thing.
Jul 11, 2017 10:00 AM

Apr 2016
It is completely western production so it cannot be added into anime database.
Jul 11, 2017 10:01 AM

Feb 2013
yes... a manga
just like these korean web toons
Jul 11, 2017 10:08 AM

Mar 2017
I thought Manila Masters EG vs NP Game 2 was the anime fight of the year. It looks like Castlevania vs MAL Mods are going to give it a run for its money.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Jul 11, 2017 10:22 AM

Oct 2012
well correct me if im wrong avatar the last air bender didn't had the luxury of having a Japanese source like castlevania. however upon searching in "google" i found that a japan-western collab such as marvel anime also didn't made it here in MAL tho im glad that spiderman isn't an anime character. however this implies that to be considered anime production and story must originate from a Japanese. and i think thats preposterous its like you can't be half breed. if your not full Japanese then your not a Japanese. anyway i'm looking forward to get enlightened on the topic on hand.

Jul 11, 2017 10:29 AM

Mar 2017
Kyzen said:
well correct me if im wrong avatar the last air bender didn't had the luxury of having a Japanese source like castlevania. however upon searching in "google" i found that a japan-western collab such as marvel anime also didn't made it here in MAL tho im glad that spiderman isn't an anime character. however this implies that to be considered anime production and story must originate from a Japanese. and i think thats preposterous its like you can't be half breed. if your not full Japanese then your not a Japanese. anyway i'm looking forward to get enlightened on the topic on hand.

And Chinese too. I think the hesitation is in part due to the fear that once the bottle is opened and the genie is out, it's never going to get back in ever again.

Or... wait! That's genius. MAL is a site for Chinese cartoons, in both the memetic and real sense of the phrase.

*barricades*
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Jul 11, 2017 10:44 AM

Feb 2013
Kyzen said:
well correct me if im wrong avatar the last air bender didn't had the luxury of having a Japanese source like castlevania.

"luxury"

Wish more anime shows had the character development and the charisma, Avatar and Korra have. They dont need japanese source to be awesome shows and even better than some shonen anime out there.

Jul 11, 2017 11:02 AM

Oct 2012
badwolf45f said:
Kyzen said:
well correct me if im wrong avatar the last air bender didn't had the luxury of having a Japanese source like castlevania.

"luxury"

Wish more anime shows had the character development and the charisma, Avatar and Korra have. They dont need japanese source to be awesome shows and even better than some shonen anime out there.

I do agree but i was just trying to prove my point in regards that castlevania has some roots on japanese literature per se

Jul 11, 2017 11:05 AM

Feb 2010
Kyzen said:
so just finished watching the netflix animated Castlevania its 4 episodes long and its definitely worth watching good visuals and story plot it also has some Japanese dub on illegal sites for some reason. it somehow reminded me of hellsing ultimate for its very gore theme.

for the purpose of this topic, since looking through the search engine of myanimelist i found that castlevania is a manga, even tho technically speaking it was hosted by netflix still it was adopted from Japanese content can't it be considered an anime?

Castlevania 'is' not a manga, it's a series of games created by Konami. It just happened to spawn both a manga and a western animated TV Series over the course of the decades because the games are popular both in Japan and the west, but I don't think those two are related at all except by both being based on the game franchise. And not even on the same games. The manga is based on 'Curse of Darkness' from 2005 and the Netflix Series is based on 'Dracula's Curse' from 1989.

I mean if you want to see western adaptions of games created by asian companies as anime/asian movies and vice versa then I guess you could use that argument to see the recent Castlevania series as anime since Konami is a japanese company, but I don't think that makes a lot of sense. The Death Note movie is still gonna be a Hollywood movie and not an asian film just because it is loosely based on the manga Death Note.
AlcoholicideJul 11, 2017 11:09 AM
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 11, 2017 11:28 AM

Mar 2014
The source material of Castlevania is Japanese.

The animated series Castlevania itself isn't.

Therefore it can't be added to the database.

Case closed
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jul 11, 2017 12:44 PM

Sep 2014
MAL is weeab.

But If they add Castlevania, I figure many people would ask why not The Boondocks and Avatar Last Airbender, and then the discussion on defining anime would drag for ages
Smoke Weed Everyday
Jul 11, 2017 5:51 PM

Sep 2011
Thread Moved (?)

I can't tell if you were looking for a rec—your title suggest so. Then you go onto "Can't it be considered anime", so it's not an AD topic either. It's not an anime, by MALs standards. Also, if MAL adds that, ... ^ Refer to the post above me.
Jul 11, 2017 6:53 PM

Jan 2013
The Castlevania franchise was made by japanese westaboos anyways.

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7620 by Eleben »»
21 minutes ago

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

14 by Eleben »»
22 minutes ago

» Similar sites like MAL but for movies ?

NaRc0s_G - Jan 3, 2022

17 by Eleben »»
25 minutes ago

» Rap Music Recommendations - Newbie Here

Liaeves - Feb 17

4 by Dumb »»
2 hours ago

» J Cole vs Kendrick Lamar

Cammell - Apr 5

28 by Cammell »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.