Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 6, 2017 7:25 AM

May 2017
I'm on a threads-starting-spree in Slayers section, since it's a shame it's such an underrated show and all discussions kinda died 10 years ago.

Do you think the new season does credit to the old series?

I know it's been a 10 years gap between Try and Revolution. Fortunetaly for me, I only had to wait 4 years, but I kinda missed the feeling the old seasons gave me. Maybe the new seasons didn't live up to the old ones. I'm not trying to be one of those shitty nostalgia creeps, but still...

First of all, the animation is quite silly. I know Slayers had 90's graphics and it's not supposed to be serious, anyways, but the characters still had charm. The new ones are just... goofy. Especially Lina went through some serious 'flanderization'.

Same thing with their personalities. Gourry became dumber, Lina became quite obnoxious (I know she's supposed to be bad, but she was more stomachable in the first 3 seasons.) and so...

I also expected to see some development on Lina and Gourry's relationship, since they've traveled together for years. The opening and ending songs were also way cooler before.
Also, there are some discontinuities, characters sometimes act like they've never seen that before, especially during the Zanaffar battle.

But that's just my opinion. I still enjoyed it, though. I was really happy that Slayers was continued after so many years, because I really missed it. I'm also looking forward to other new seasons (if Kanzaka is still alive by then). So, what do you think?
Anakat_samaJun 6, 2017 7:36 AM
The mindfucker.
Jul 21, 2017 10:26 PM

Jul 2016
It's been a few years since I've seen Revolution and Evolution R, so forgive me if my memory of the 2 isn't the best.

I feel like Revolution was the weakest season of the whole show. Something about the pacing maybe. One thing that stuck out in my memory was they kept repeating the joke "the crime of Being Lina Inverse." It's like, it wasn't that funny to begin with, and they kept repeating it. I also seem to remember not liking Pokota. I liked Evolution-R better, but at the end of the day, they were recycling the plot from the first arc of season 1. And I'm thinking "Did I only like it better because it lazily re-used things that worked from the previous show?"

I'd need to re-watch the shows to give a definitive answer on that, and I don't want to do that right now. Definitely something to put on my to-do list.
Apr 23, 2018 2:21 PM

Apr 2015
As soon as they introduced that flying rat thing and the damn follower for some stupid debt idek it's been a while, it became trash.

However, the next season Evolution R is much better, not good like the original, but so much better than Revolution Trash.

I think Revolution was a mistake. Evolution R wasn't.
Apr 18, 2020 1:33 PM
Jul 2017
Let's be honest the new seasons suck, especially revolution, my slayers ranking would be:
Slayers Try
Slayers Next
Slayers
Slayers Evolution-R
Slayers Revolution.
The new series surely did a good job on animation but the story was lacking alot when compared to the older ones, sadly slayers never got the reputation that it deserves so we won't be seeing the whole novel adapted especially since it ended back in 2018.

Atypical_ViewerJun 1, 2020 10:34 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Slayers Revolution Episode 13 Discussion

angel999 - Sep 25, 2008

24 by LeonhartAugust »»
Apr 3, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Xellos's new dubbed voice

Tsumayouji - May 27, 2011

5 by funtime43_tr »»
Sep 1, 2022 4:25 AM

Poll: » Slayers Revolution Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dtshyk - Jul 2, 2008

56 by Etcetera- »»
Oct 15, 2021 7:16 PM

Poll: » Slayers Revolution Episode 2 Discussion

Tenjouname - Jul 9, 2008

29 by DonTrumpolino »»
May 25, 2021 4:56 PM

Poll: » Slayers Revolution Episode 12 Discussion

angel999 - Sep 17, 2008

16 by Gator »»
Feb 14, 2021 4:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.