Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
May 20, 2017 4:26 AM
May 2017
What does the sign language mean in the scene where Shoya and Shoko wake up from the dream and they meet at the bridge? Shoya grabs Shoko's hands, forms them into a fist, and Shoya wraps his own hands around hers.

Does this particularly mean something in sign language? Is it a representation of their confession? Because soon after, Shoya gets embarrassed and says that he did something creepy.
May 20, 2017 5:30 AM
Mar 2012
I don't know sign language, but pretty sure the implication was that he was trying to make her hands into the sign language for "friends" which we saw earlier in the movie. It was creepy because he was grabbing her hands.
May 20, 2017 5:43 AM
Mar 2014
same here
i went to know what thats mean ^^

i thing this sing mean promise
http://store6.up-00.com/2017-05/149528394385061.png

so they make promise but i don't know about what >_<
May 21, 2017 8:53 AM
Mar 2014
finally i understand what he mean when he hold here hand
this sing mean marriage ^>^

now the anime become better ^^
(love good ending )

thanks 4 posting xeronox123 becoz u help me 2 understand what that sing mean ^^
May 21, 2017 10:09 AM
May 2017
sam11111 said:

(love good ending )

it doesnt mean marriage. "I'm pretty sure it's a promise to be friends (or more) after Shoyo told Shoko she's his reason for living."
May 21, 2017 10:32 AM

Jan 2017
have no idea anyway have another question what did the doc tell her in the hospital and what made her where only one of those ear things
May 21, 2017 12:09 PM
Apr 2016
While it is quite obvious they end up as a perfect pair(~perfect), I am also quite sure this sign is the universal sign of exchanging your inner warmth with anyone and anything. I mean, it's crazy, but everyone can do that.
Re:formed
May 22, 2017 3:16 AM
Mar 2014
Hafexo said:
sam11111 said:

(love good ending )

it doesnt mean marriage. "I'm pretty sure it's a promise to be friends (or more) after Shoyo told Shoko she's his reason for living."

its marriage ^-^
he did a mistake and thats why he was embarrassed
he want to say something about friendship but he did a mistake .

see this video *>*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ianCxd71xIo
0:33
May 22, 2017 4:18 AM

May 2015
sam11111 said:
Hafexo said:

its marriage ^-^
he did a mistake and thats why he was embarrassed
he want to say something about friendship but he did a mistake .

see this video *>*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ianCxd71xIo
0:33

The problem with your video is that they are using AMERICAN sign language, while the characters use JAPANESE sign language. So the meaning quite likely doesn't mean marriage, although I'm no expert, so I might be wrong on that front.
So the meaning behind that sign is still a mystery here
Rolling around at the speed of clumsy ⊿◉»»
Got places to go, gotta follow my bad luck ◕»» ☛✗
May 22, 2017 8:31 AM
Apr 2016
Is not one super plus point of sign language that it is universal?
Re:formed
May 22, 2017 10:03 AM

Dec 2008
Daniel_Naumov said:
Is not one super plus point of sign language that it is universal?

It's supposed to be, but I think even for individuals sometimes people change the signs to something slightly different. I know a bit of ASL and I've encountered people whose use a different sign for the same thing.

Japanese sign language specifically I assume is completely different. Just from seeing "sorry" and "thank you" which was used a million times in the movie, I know those are completely different than the ASL "sorry" and "thank you". In ASL, "Sorry" is having your fist with the letter "s" sign and rubbing the fist onto your chest with a circular motion. "thank you" is moving your palm outwards from your chin.
May 22, 2017 1:23 PM
Jan 2012
Okay, I am Japanese, and although I do not know sign language except for some which appeared in the movie (ha ha), I think I can clear things out.

Putting two hands together means "friends" (tomodachi). And the last sign that Shouko makes is that of "promise" (yakusoku). The last one is derived from pinky promise, or yubikiri in Japanese, which is a sort of ritual done with two little fingers (pinkies) among kids, or kids and their parents when they make a promise; it's too intimate from grown up adults to do that, but young cutesy lovers might also do that.

So it's not marriage ... but I don't think that the director had no intention of adding a connotation of romance onto it.
GohanwaOkazuMay 22, 2017 1:32 PM
May 24, 2017 5:51 AM
Mar 2014
will its look like its not marriage ( i was wrong ) ~_~

but why shoya gets embarrassed and says that he did something creepy ??
and then he say forget it !!

maybe becoz he hold her hand ??

and what was the promise about ?
May 24, 2017 6:05 AM

May 2017
That was a promise about helping each other for the rest of their lives. I guess ●‿●
May 24, 2017 7:28 AM
Mar 2012
sam11111 said:

Because he touched her hand. Nothing more to it.
May 24, 2017 7:38 AM
Mar 2014
Badalight said:
sam11111 said:

Because he touched her hand. Nothing more to it.

ِ

Are U sure ?
becoz he say forget it @_@

3 minutes later
ammmm maybe u right .
he say " forget what i did now "
^^
May 24, 2017 9:51 AM

Jun 2014
If you're paying attention, from the very beginning Shouko has tried to be his friend and used the hands together to say that (even in elementary school.) They finally grew to a point where they were true friends, ones that would risk their lives for each other and they promise to continue to be there for each other. There may be romantic implications on Shouko's side, we don't know if Ishida is aware of her feelings but I'd say it's likely that the relationship will blossom from that point on with said promise.

Ishida was embarrassed because holding hands like that is very forward in Japanese culture, even saying first names is seen as a romantic sign or at least it implies closeness. It had nothing to do with marriage, he's just a teenage boy and there may be feelings there so of course he'll be embarrassed.

I'm on the side where I think there was romantic implications however the point of the film is about forgiveness, friendship and sacrifice. Romance is not the focus.
May 25, 2017 6:23 PM

Feb 2016
I can't think of it meaning anything other than "you+me+friend." However, since Ishida grasped her hands in the process and shook it firmly (compared to what Shouko did throughout the movie), it would mean he's implying for them to be super close friends, not just friends. I'm guessing that's the sign for friend in JSL or something because the ASL sign for it differs.

He thought it was awkward because he grasped her hands quite firmly and implied they should be really close, which he might've felt was to forward/moving too fast.

And then after that, they did a pinky promise type of gesture by interlocking pinkies. Even in ASL, I don't know of that sign meaning anything except the gesture for a pinky promise. Even in BSL, that's the sign for the letter "S". It can just be interpreted to mean yubikiri or promise, which is a common hand gesture in Japan, JSL or not. This also implies "pinky promise" though.
Jun 4, 2017 9:13 PM

Oct 2013
Yep, it mean 'Friends', and later 'Promise' (pinky sign).
the sign language is not universal, same reasons like spoken languages.
JSL is more similar to TaiwaneseSL, but different from SouthKoreanSL, and ChineseSL.
I don't know about other AsianSL as Singaporean, or Malayan.

Hope it helps you.
Jul 19, 2017 10:04 PM
Jul 2017
Hi,

So I can clear up a few things here:

1) Sign Language is NOT universal. Each country, region, and sometimes state has their own sign. American Sign Language differs from Japanese Sign Language by a lot.

2) Shoya and Shoko putting their hands together doesn't make any particular sign. The closest sign I can see is FRIEND. This is made with the hands clasping together and shaking is slightly twice.

3) The Japanese Sign for MARRIAGE is an upright Thumb placed next to an upright Pinky. The thumb represents the man and the pinky represents the woman.

- Your Friendly Neighborhood Anime Fan and B.A. in Deaf Studies
Dec 1, 2020 8:35 PM
Dec 2020
I’ve been so stupid on the sign language I’ve been using the American Sign Language than the Japanese sign language I didn’t even know there’s a Japanese sign language
Aug 24, 2021 10:04 AM
Aug 2021
MisuzukiNaoto said:
Hi,

So I can clear up a few things here:

1) Sign Language is NOT universal. Each country, region, and sometimes state has their own sign. American Sign Language differs from Japanese Sign Language by a lot.

2) Shoya and Shoko putting their hands together doesn't make any particular sign. The closest sign I can see is FRIEND. This is made with the hands clasping together and shaking is slightly twice.

3) The Japanese Sign for MARRIAGE is an upright Thumb placed next to an upright Pinky. The thumb represents the man and the pinky represents the woman.

- Your Friendly Neighborhood Anime Fan and B.A. in Deaf Studies

Thank you very much

More topics from this board

» Did you cry? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stacias - Aug 1, 2022

258 by kaycooo »»
Apr 20, 3:52 AM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nihon_no_tsuki - Sep 21, 2016

700 by Morragan »»
Apr 4, 5:29 PM

» Ueno and miki (Spoiler)

Gilbertaxel17 - Jan 14

17 by Marianolove_55 »»
Mar 16, 9:39 AM

» Sharing Whispers with Shoko - Moments that Made Us Fee

Sad-Life - Dec 31, 2023

11 by Aryan422 »»
Jan 2, 9:21 AM

» What are your opinions on Tomohiro?

Aldanaonair - Dec 29, 2023

7 by Squatch70 »»
Dec 29, 2023 1:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.