Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 14, 2017 12:16 PM

Mar 2014
On the website Letterboxd.com, in addition to giving a score to a film, you can also "like" a film, implying a certain level of personal attachment to it. So, if someone thinks a film is bad, but has fond childhood memories of it, they can give it a low score, but a like. I think this is a really effective system and one I would love to see implemented into MAL.
WyattMay 14, 2017 12:19 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 14, 2017 4:30 PM

Oct 2014
MAL already has two systems: ratings and favourites. Favourites are limited to 10 per person while ratings have no restrictions on how many times each can be used. We don't need more than two.
May 14, 2017 4:45 PM

Mar 2014
zombie_pegasus said:
MAL already has two systems: ratings and favourites. Favourites are limited to 10 per person while ratings have no restrictions on how many times each can be used. We don't need more than two.

Favorites are a bit different than a like system, and the above website has both of those things in addition to a like button. For example, if you've seen 4 thousand anime, you'll end up with a ton of shows that you really personal connected with, thus, could give a like, but favorites would be so hard to select.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 14, 2017 6:02 PM

Jun 2015
Wyatt said:
zombie_pegasus said:

Favorites are a bit different than a like system, and the above website has both of those things in addition to a like button. For example, if you've seen 4 thousand anime, you'll end up with a ton of shows that you really personal connected with, thus, could give a like, but favorites would be so hard to select.

There's already a tag portion in your list if you want to say stuff like this.

It adds a needless statistic which the majority of other viewers won't care about.
May 14, 2017 9:05 PM

Mar 2014
Brb said:
Wyatt said:

It adds a needless statistic which the majority of other viewers won't care about.

Tags would take far longer, and be a much less potent and streamlined equivalent. It doesn't need to be listed on the page for the show, its not a statistic lol
May 14, 2017 10:27 PM

Oct 2014
Wyatt said:
Brb said:

Tags would take far longer, and be a much less potent and streamlined equivalent. It doesn't need to be listed on the page for the show, its not a statistic lol
Well tags work for personal satisfaction reasons. The amount of people who legitimately care about how many people have given an anime a like just doesn't matter to enough people. Also, if it was a two point scale (like/dislike) then I think a lot of people would just like everything they watch. After all, it wouldn't matter so much how many people gave it a like but rather watch percentage of non-ptw users liked it. When you look at normal Youtube videos by famous people they tend to get 99% likes and 1% dislikes and I wouldn't be surprised if this would lead to similar results, making it pointless.
May 14, 2017 10:30 PM

Mar 2014
zombie_pegasus said:
Wyatt said:

Well tags work for personal satisfaction reasons. The amount of people who legitimately care about how many people have given an anime a like just doesn't matter to enough people. Also, if it was a two point scale (like/dislike) then I think a lot of people would just like everything they watch. After all, it wouldn't matter so much how many people gave it a like but rather watch percentage of non-ptw users liked it. When you look at normal Youtube videos by famous people they tend to get 99% likes and 1% dislikes and I wouldn't be surprised if this would lead to similar results, making it pointless.

I think the two point scale thing kinda ruins the point. It's not for other people, it's for the user's satisfaction. With the example I gave earlier (in total honesty, I have 2 friends in particular in this exact situation) of a user who has seen thousands upon thousands of anime, and would like an easier way to show personal attachment to those who happen to be viewing their list, to make it easier. I don't believe it would be an incredibly difficult function to implement
May 14, 2017 10:48 PM
Jan 2013
Score, favourites and tags are enough for that
specially tags
you use tags sonny
you knows it

If it's to show a personal attachment they'll hardly have to go throught thousands upon thousands of entries to be more specific
gone bai bai
May 14, 2017 11:43 PM

Oct 2014
Mhmmm smashes the like button. Wao this arouses me. I approve.
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 15, 2017 5:53 AM

Feb 2015
As what @zombie_pegasus said, MAL have already ratings + fav list so adding the +1 to the series just seems repetitive to me.
May 15, 2017 6:34 AM

Jun 2010
Wyatt said:
On the website Letterboxd.com, in addition to giving a score to a film, you can also "like" a film, implying a certain level of personal attachment to it. So, if someone thinks a film is bad, but has fond childhood memories of it, they can give it a low score, but a like. I think this is a really effective system and one I would love to see implemented into MAL.

It does not make sense what you say, an anime that you like cant have a low score.
May 15, 2017 9:14 AM

Mar 2014
Drackx said:
Wyatt said:

It does not make sense what you say, an anime that you like cant have a low score.

But what if you think it's bad lol
May 15, 2017 10:06 AM
Jul 2018
Useless tbh, useless, I would like something like that for characters (MAL wil never do that tho because it is shit) but for anime it is next to useless.

Drackx said:
Wyatt said:

OP is clearly "one of those"
May 15, 2017 10:22 AM

Mar 2014
Darek said:
Useless tbh, useless, I would like something like that for characters (MAL wil never do that tho because it is shit) but for anime it is next to useless.

Drackx said:

Don't imply that bullshit dude. It's impossible to score purely on raw emotion, you cannot quantify something as pure and visceral as feelings into a mere fucking number.
May 15, 2017 10:24 AM
Jul 2018
Wyatt said:

Don't imply that bullshit dude. It's impossible to score purely on raw emotion, you cannot quantify something as pure and visceral as feelings into a mere fucking number.
>implying quality can be measured and put into a number.

Kek
May 15, 2017 10:27 AM

Mar 2014
Darek said:
Wyatt said:

>implying quality can be measured and put into a number.

Kek

It's easier to do imo
May 17, 2017 8:27 AM

Jun 2010
Wyatt said:
Drackx said:

If the anime is bad then why do you see it?
May 17, 2017 8:29 AM

Jun 2010
Darek said:

Drackx said:

If you dont like that, then you just dont see it. It's like idiots to watch a complete anime that you dont like.
May 17, 2017 11:15 AM

Oct 2014
Drackx said:
Wyatt said:

Some people like bad anime but still know that they anime they like is bad. Not everyone rates by enjoyment.
May 17, 2017 3:37 PM

Jun 2010
zombie_pegasus said:
Drackx said:

Some people like bad anime but still know that they anime they like is bad. Not everyone rates by enjoyment.

In other words they have shit taste.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.