Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 30, 2017 10:56 AM

Aug 2011

Many reviews on goodreads & MAL have claimed that this is a rehash of Peach Girl but I disagree, specifically because Papillon goes into psychological analysis of it’s characters mainly via the character Hayato Ichijiku (A.K.A. Kyu-chan) and also the notes by Miwa Ueda regarding her discussions with psychologists and counselors about her characters. Although I have yet to complete Peach Girl in anime or manga form, I think the reason I enjoyed Papillon more is because the drama doesn’t seem as contrived. When a character does something cruel to another character the reader either already knows what their psychological motivations are or they will become clear through the story. You’re never left thinking “that was so messed up and random, why would (character/Sae) do that anyway? What was the point? What does she/he get out of that?” The characters motivations are much better explained in Papillon compared to Peach Girl, perhaps this is why I just couldn’t get through the melodrama of the Peach Girl anime or manga.
Unfortunately the last two volumes of this series were never published in English because Del-Rey went out of business. I’m holding out hope that a manga publisher will release the last two volumes (perhaps in an omnibus?) until then to complete the story I read a scanlation and plan to buy the Japanese volumes, the artwork and supporting Ueda is worth it to me and also since I’m learning Japanese one day I’ll be able to read those last few volumes in my hands.
I would recommend Papillon by Miwa Ueda to anyone that enjoys shoujo and/or josei manga that has a psychological grasp on it’s characters motivations. If you’ve read Peach Girl, I would recommend going into Papillon with a fresh and open mind.
LunaSoporApr 30, 2017 11:15 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Papillon - Hana to Chou Chapter 22 Discussion

czerah - Apr 20, 2012

2 by Mashima »»
Oct 14, 2014 8:12 AM

Poll: » Papillon - Hana to Chou Chapter 21 Discussion

czerah - Apr 20, 2012

2 by Mashima »»
Oct 13, 2014 4:47 AM

Poll: » Papillon - Hana to Chou Chapter 40 Discussion

czerah - Apr 20, 2012

2 by Stark700 »»
May 25, 2014 10:21 PM

Poll: » Papillon - Hana to Chou Chapter 15 Discussion

accela - Nov 18, 2009

3 by Stark700 »»
May 24, 2014 9:22 PM

Poll: » Papillon: Hana to Chou Chapter 10 Discussion

accela - Aug 28, 2009

4 by Stark700 »»
May 24, 2014 8:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.