Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Accel World (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 25, 2017 3:39 PM
Feb 2017
So there's one major flaw I noticed in the logic of Accel World.

So as you probably already know, Accel World is focused around the game Brain Burst, but the only way to obtain the game is to have it be gifted to you by another player and each player is only allowed one attempt to gift the game and even if it fails and the receiver doesn't install the game properly, that one copy is still used up. I find this strange because if this is the case, then how does the Burst Linker community stay so large?

First off, it's easy to fail at giving the game to someone. As I mentioned earlier, there's always a chance that the game won't install properly or you could also run out of Burst Points and lose Brain Burst before gifting it to someone.

These failure possibilities wouldn't be a such problem if it was possible to share more than one copy of the game, because other players could pick up the slack and gift it to multiple people. Since you only get one copy to use means each "family tree" (for lack of a better word) is linear. It doesn't spread like a tree, it's more of a line. That means, if the installation fails or you lose the game before you gift it, your "family" is done spreading. That probably isn't the best way to explain it, but I'm not the best at explaining things, so hopefully you understand.

So how does Brain Burst spread successfully? There would definitely have to be thousands of people starting when the game came out, but the way they talk about the risks of the game, it seems like the odds of a failed installation and/or running out of burst points are too high to sustain a well sized community.

Also, there was one other thing I was confused about so it would be nice if someone explained it. How exactly does reaching level 10 work? There were a few things I didn't understand:
1. If a level 9 losses a fight against a level 8 or lower would they lose all their burst points or do only fights against two level 9s have the conditions of a fight to reach level 10? Also how does it work vise-versa? If a level 8 or lower lost to a level 9 would they lose all their burst points? I'm not sure because they did't necessarily clarify how that worked, but the level 9s seem to have no remorse against defeating people of lower levels.
2. Do they only need to defeat one level 9 or all the level 9s? I'm 65% sure the subtitles said "a level 9" (singular, not plural), yet Black King killed the original Red King and is still only level 9 and when the current Red King attempted to kill Black King, Haru was more concerned about Black King losing Brain Burst than Red King reaching level 10.
Mar 25, 2017 4:11 PM

Jul 2013
Speaking as someone who has only seen the anime I'll give my take on it. You're absolutely right about the flaw of passing it on. I just glanced over it in the anime as I assumed it would be explained later. You would have to figure that it had to originally be distributed somehow. Perhaps the game's creator randomly distributes the game at certain intervals and when the game runs low on players as people inevitably die off new invitations are extended to people the creator chooses. Perhaps this one time chance to gift it is the creator's way of giving you the chance to find someone who you believe could benefit from the game like you have and pass it on. Maybe the reason the game fails to install is because the person doesn't meet the criteria to play the game. You do need some psychological flaws if you want to stand a chance in this game, inviting just anyone would defeat the purpose. But that's just my take, I assume it falls under the category of reaching level 10 and meeting the creator to find out what the purpose is and why things work the way they do.

As for your other questions:
1. If you lose against a level 8 as a level 9 no you don't lose all your points. The only time a level 9 loses all their points is when battling another level 9 since that is a requirement to reach level 10. You must defeat 5 level 9 users without losing. To lose is to have your game forcibly un-installed. You're gambling it all. This is why the Kings originally decided to not fight, the risk they felt was too great and in the end that's the ultimate barrier to becoming level 10.
2. No anything other than a level 9 on level 9 fight does not result in an instant game over. You would lose burst points as usual. Of course they would have no remorse. When you play a game and you reach a high level do you feel bad owning the n00bs?
3. Subtitles can be mistranslated. They have to defeat 5 level 9 users. If it was only 1 then Black Lotus would have become level 10 the moment she beheaded Red Rider. Yes Haru would be concerned, because that's a level 9 fight, if either of them loses that's an instant game over for them.
Mar 25, 2017 4:16 PM

Jun 2010
A lot of the questions you're asking are answered somewhat in one form or another in the most currently published volume of the series. Volume 9, I believe.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Accel World Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 21, 2012

453 by Orin23 »»
Feb 20, 4:14 AM

» The episodes 16 to half of 24, gave me an anguish & pissed off reaction

Kiryotsu - Feb 3

3 by Eckl3 »»
Feb 4, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Accel World Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 14, 2012

185 by JustMonaka »»
Jan 11, 10:53 AM

Poll: » Accel World Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2012

223 by JustMonaka »»
Jan 10, 5:05 AM

Poll: » Accel World Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Jul 13, 2012

178 by JustMonaka »»
Jan 10, 4:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.