Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 18, 2017 2:52 AM

Dec 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This is the end of Mizuiro Jidai - 39 to 47 is quite off the mark, some even repulsive, that I'll be ignoring them...

What a delicate and well formulated story. It's ending was a graceful one, and one that I won't forget. Specifically because of all that has built up to it, all the muses and the wanderings about life... I think my heart fluttered a bit in all of that silence and a series like this deserves such a quiet ending.

I love it, I love it, I love it. Its format, its tone, its beliefs, its approach - everything calls to me. I think this has nearly everything I want from anime, its definitely not perfect, but it has the heart. And my heart is damnably moved. The subject matter may be kind of "simple", but how it's dealt with is definitely beautiful. The kind of beauty that is eternal, unchanging, and ultimately clarifying.

=)
Mar 6, 2019 4:06 PM
Aug 2018
kawyua said:
This is the end of Mizuiro Jidai - 39 to 47 is quite off the mark, some even repulsive, that I'll be ignoring them...

What do you mean by "39 to 47 is quite off the mark, some even repulsive"?
Sounds like they come to a satisfying point in episode 38 and then they start to add extra drama for the sake of it?
Mar 6, 2019 5:29 PM

Dec 2013
tr25a3 said:

What do you mean by "39 to 47 is quite off the mark, some even repulsive"?
Sounds like they come to a satisfying point in episode 38 and then they start to add extra drama for the sake of it?

The story ends in ep 38. 39 is recap episode. 40-47 have stories of other people's perspective during the events of the series. Some seem like random stories that the author had, but decided to not put into the main story. To be clear, there is no drama, its just a classic case of the animation studio stretching the show's episode length for no good reason.
At the time of writing that message, I had a sour taste from watching those episodes after the great narrative in the first 38
May 1, 2019 3:35 PM
Aug 2018
The first half of the episode was rather sad. How did it turn out that way when they more or less made up at the end of the last episode?

Although they said that they would write each other and that he would come home occasionally, they didn't keep contanct for "a few months".

I wonder if she tried to send him letters. But well, in a relationship both parties are responsible to uphold communication and he didn't do much in that regard either. And it's likely that he read the dorm rules and knows that female callers are blocked.

It was rather sad that it got to a point where Yuuko spoke about their relationship in past tense.
But I have to say that the end was rather underwhelming. Her thoughts sounded like she was about to give up on their relationship, why did she suddenly decide not to board the train? And this was supposed to be the shows climax and they don't even kiss? :-/
And after the hug they roll the credits. No kiss and especially no conversation after they didn't see each other for months. -_-

Well, overall it was a nice anime. It had several interesting themes that you don't see very often. It really was a coming of age (well, until highschool) story with a lot of slice of life moments, every day drama and some romance.

I think while most of the worries that caused the drama were relatable, they did bloat them a little too much here and there.
And sometimes I was really wondering if we would ever see characterprogression.
Especially when it came to how easily Yuuko lied and how Yuuko and Hiroshi were unable to have a proper talk with each other on many occasions.

One huge realization that this show should give one is that communication is crucial in a relationship.

For the romance part, it had a few cute moments, but I wish there would have been more. Considering they were dating for like 2 1/2 years, really cute and romantic moments were rather scarce. And after thinking about it a little, I think nearly all relationship related episodes that focused on the main characters were, sadly, negative in some way.

For the characters, I think some were good, some were annoying and some were sadly underdeveloped or simply nameless props.
Like the girl with the short black hair that was in their friend circle in the first year. We didn't even learn her name and she barely had any meaningful screentime.

Tobita Ton-Chan, they were friends, drifted apart in their first year, reconciled in their second year, but after her arc they never interacted again.

Then we have Maririn the gossip queen that only appeared to spread gossip and make Yuuko and/or Hiroshi feel awkward and implanted anxiousness in their minds.
Rumiko, who didn't leave much of an impression to me. Well, what surprised me was how they were all friends with each other during 1st and 2nd year, they almost completely vanished during the 3rd year.

They were replaced by Kitano Miyuki who, although they barely knew each other, got friends with Yuuko and Takako surprisingly fast.

And then that character gets special attention with her romance arc involving Yamada.

But well, at least we had Takako, who was the best character in the whole show. She did say mean things from time to time, but overall she was the most levelheaded character from all the girls.

So far for my rather random thoughts. I just had a glimpse at the sidestories and while they seems interesting enough to watch them, I think they missed a really huge opportunity here to have an episode that shows Kugayamas viewpoint. Why did she continue to openly pursue Hiroshi for two years although she should have known well that he is in a relationship with Yuuko? Sadly we will never know.

Overall this is was a 7/10 ("good", in the word meaning) for me. It's a good show, the art and animation is dated but still solid and enjoyable. The story was mostly realistic and relatable and I'd say rather original. While the romance isn't that strong to recommend it for that part alone, I think the overall mix is interesting and good.

I'd recommend it to everyone who is interested in this kind of coming of age stories of teenagers in their middleschool years (Or "Aqua Age", how the english name calls this.) that is streaked with some romance from start to end.

It definitively deserves more recognition (currently only has 530 reviews, which is a
shame) and I think for MAL standards a score of 7.00 is too low for this show.
There is way worse stuff out there that had even better scores. By MAL standard, this should be at least above 7.50.

Edit:
7.02@563 reviews, 2,743 users total as of 21.12.19.

Edit 2:
7.19@1188 reviews, 4,745 users total as of 06.05.23.
tr25a3May 6, 2023 4:07 AM
Oct 25, 2020 8:11 PM

Mar 2016
I was wondering why there wasn't one but man, what a passive aggressive 'final episode' thread.

Oct 14, 2023 9:56 PM

Aug 2014
Since this is considered the "Final episode",

Mizuiro Jidai is an underrated anime, a hidden gem.

Its not a masterpiece, but it did many things right.

Its one of the best animes to be adapted from a shoujo manga, with its biggest selling point in that im sure many can relate to this anime when watching it.

Ive always said that middle-school is the best school-setting in anime; not high school and not college.

Its a very nice coming of age story for everyone.

All the characters have very nice chemistry with one another.

As for negatives = I do wish the anime was shorter, since some episodes felt bland, especially since its somewhat episodic. You could have cut this anime down to about 20 episodes instead of 38 episodes.

But I definitely recommend if you want to watch a shoujo anime, since it feels like a breath of fresh air, specially with how Shoujo animes are portrayed since the 2000
s
oooo3333Oct 14, 2023 10:04 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mizuiro Jidai Episode 29 Discussion

TRC_Randy - Nov 30, 2023

0 by TRC_Randy »»
Nov 30, 2023 7:41 AM

Poll: » Mizuiro Jidai Episode 22 Discussion

H_Erifu - Oct 15, 2017

1 by TRC_Randy »»
Nov 3, 2023 6:59 PM

Poll: » Mizuiro Jidai Episode 47 Discussion

syncrogazer - Oct 25, 2020

1 by oooo3333 »»
Oct 14, 2023 10:06 PM

» To follow your heart!!

Sakai-Yuji - Nov 16, 2022

0 by Sakai-Yuji »»
Nov 16, 2022 7:56 PM

» Going with the flow

Sakai-Yuji - Nov 14, 2022

0 by Sakai-Yuji »»
Nov 14, 2022 12:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.