Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 15, 2010 1:29 AM

Jul 2007
Please tell me what this is then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_A-IbADlWg&feature=related

I don't understand why people say this. That obviously looks like a big city and a NPC hub with shops and everything to me.

Feb 15, 2010 6:41 PM

Nov 2007
Hmm. I'm not looking into this game at all since I really don't care about FF, so I'm not too sure about the NPC thing. They might mean that there are no NPCs that your party interacts with, rather than that there are no NPCS in general.

I think there is only supposed to be one town in the city. I guess this is it.

OMG, speaking of NPCs, the way they talk without being prompt is so annoying.... Totally ruins the mood.
Feb 15, 2010 7:02 PM

Jan 2010
Of course there is. Where the hell would I buy my goods?
Feb 15, 2010 8:20 PM

May 2009
Apparently you buy most of your stuff through the save points, or so I've heard. I personally liked the whole "point A to point B" aspect of RPGs. Trying to make it to the next area to save, buy better materials for new equipment, and grind some before heading off or taking on some side quests but I guess I'll see how it all works out in the end.

Video example of a town with NPCs. - May contain spoilers. Apparently the same user has posted more video examples of the game. Which includes Creature, Mission, Field, and Battle examples. Check them out if you're curious.

From what I've read. The few towns there are in the game are more for story progression rather than to resupply and such. Frankly, the only reason I haven't canceled my preorder of XIII is because there is an auto play button that apparently works rather well (which should help with some grinding), and it gives me a very Phantasy Star Online vibe, well minus the "online" part, lol.
Feb 15, 2010 9:29 PM

May 2009
I think what they meant by no large cities is a lack of groups of large pre-rendered buildings. These videos all seem to show rather smaller enclosed areas that appear to be inside domes... I think they were thinking more about how difficult to make large sprawling metropolises rather then what your videos show as more like small areas with single pathways.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Feb 16, 2010 8:08 AM

Feb 2005
Pash said:
small areas with single pathways.
This seems to be FFXIII in a nutshell.
Feb 16, 2010 1:13 PM

Jul 2007
FF X was small areas with single pathways and that never stopped me from playing it. Hell i poured 550 hrs into that game, the most i ever played of any final fantasy game. it was the extra content that grabbed my attention not the linearity of the game.

Btw there is a pretty large open wide over world that you can explore in Final fantasy XIII and that is definitely not a area or a single pathway lol.

Feb 17, 2010 1:54 PM

Feb 2005
link9us said:
FF X was small areas with single pathways and that never stopped me from playing it. Hell i poured 550 hrs into that game, the most i ever played of any final fantasy game. it was the extra content that grabbed my attention not the linearity of the game.

Btw there is a pretty large open wide over world that you can explore in Final fantasy XIII and that is definitely not a area or a single pathway lol.
Shit. And I thought I'd played it too long with 250 hours.

I saw that big field place in a video. Still, it's only one area, isn't it? It also seemed to be devoid of any really interesting things to discover from what I saw of it.

FFX was linear as shit as well, but one of the things that I really liked about it was those small detours you could take here and there and find new paths and items. But I wouldn't think there's much of that in XIII with it's high paced nature.

It's a bit of a letdown since exploration is one of the key points in adventure games like FF. The way it seems to be, everything will rest solely on the story, characters and the battles, and I'm not holding my breath for the former two.
Feb 17, 2010 8:02 PM

Feb 2008
fucking hell, you two played that piece of shit for 550 hrs and 250 respectively?

i hate ffx because its linear and its like your getting mouthfed where to go, pile that up with a jock as the main and a naked blue ape thing that never talks and you get my least favorite ff. you think with all the capabilities of this generations consoles, they'd try to make this game with more freedom, you know, like XII on crack or something but instead they jump back to FFX?? great job guys. i mean i understand the need to create urgency and to make the game feel more like a story, but in the end, gameplay is more important, because that's what you're making, a game. and lack of towns, npc's, and correct me if im wrong, levels, really ruins it.

yeah, im just bitching, honest though, im hoping that when I finally get to play this, i'll look back and say "boy was I stupid, this game is great." but by the looks of it, probably not.

but hey, lets hope ffxiii plays its theatrics better than ffx did so i wont care if it doesnt even seem like final fantasy.
Feb 17, 2010 8:17 PM

May 2009
Personally, I'm glad that XIII is looking more like X than XI or XII. Although I'm hoping it isn't nearly as linear as they're making it out to be. I really doubt it will seriously hinder my enjoyment of it since, as previously stated, X was rather linear as well and I rather enjoyed it. I also personally detested the gameplay for both of those (XI & XII) games, although the characters and localization was pretty awesome. I was never a huge fan of Gambits/Macros and how pathetically slow the battles were. Not to mention the obscene amount of HP some of the enemies had. That combined with the crawling pace. It was like they wanted me to fall asleep playing the games. =/
Feb 17, 2010 9:03 PM

Jun 2008
i actually here that only the begining is linear like the first 6-10 hours so what happened is a lot of people give up and quit and cry the whole game is linear but after you get through the beginning the game opens up a lot i mean how can you have a linear game when they are implementing chocobos to move around in... they say they made the beginning linear because they really wanted everyone to be familiar with the battle system before they turn you lose and you complain about how the battles suck or something they figured they'd rather have people bitch about the begining of the game then the whole core battle system of the game... i can't judge the game till i play it though i'm pobably gonna pick it up during my spring break and start it up and see how i feel about it then...

First Sig built from scratch 2nd overall^^^
Feb 18, 2010 1:27 AM

Jul 2007
Red_Comet said:
fucking hell, you two played that piece of shit for 550 hrs and 250 respectively?

i hate ffx because its linear and its like your getting mouthfed where to go, pile that up with a jock as the main and a naked blue ape thing that never talks and you get my least favorite ff. you think with all the capabilities of this generations consoles, they'd try to make this game with more freedom, you know, like XII on crack or something but instead they jump back to FFX?? great job guys. i mean i understand the need to create urgency and to make the game feel more like a story, but in the end, gameplay is more important, because that's what you're making, a game. and lack of towns, npc's, and correct me if im wrong, levels, really ruins it.

yeah, im just bitching, honest though, im hoping that when I finally get to play this, i'll look back and say "boy was I stupid, this game is great." but by the looks of it, probably not.

but hey, lets hope ffxiii plays its theatrics better than ffx did so i wont care if it doesn't even seem like final fantasy.

Hell yeah thats because baman and I probably had nothing better to do. Well for me, it was during my years in middle school and parts of high school, so i came over every day playing it with my friends. Me and my friends were kind of competitive like that with rpgs. But i always very challenged by the sphere grid and unlocking all the "original" creation monsters. I actually maxed my sphere grid and replaced every node with +4, it was alot of work but the results were nice. Everyone of my characters did 99,999 dmg even lulu's doll attack lol. Anyways im not really like that any more, this was back in the day when i was a kid and i had alot of friends competing and playing the games with me so it made it kind of more interesting. Now though i don't usually go to that extremes in games. I usually try to finish everything, im a completionist for the most part but i don't go around maxing every stat and attribute like i use to.

Feb 18, 2010 5:48 AM

May 2009
I've seen this get bought up across many gaming sites, it seems to me people have nothing better to do than just complain about these type of games being the same, forcing the makers to change the style up, not always a bad thing, buts its becoming a bit of a trend now.

First was Resident Evil, then Zelda got the treatment, now it seems FF is next.
Feb 18, 2010 9:10 PM

Nov 2007
DeathHormone said:
I've seen this get bought up across many gaming sites, it seems to me people have nothing better to do than just complain about these type of games being the same, forcing the makers to change the style up, not always a bad thing, buts its becoming a bit of a trend now.

First was Resident Evil, then Zelda got the treatment, now it seems FF is next.

This is true, and it's pretty annoying. I wish gamers would just GAME instead of complain about every single little thing in a game.

More topics from this board

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

141 by Kajiuran »»
22 minutes ago

» Exploring the Intersection of Games, Computers, and Tech Support: A Guide for Android App Development Companies in Saudi Arabia

johnsrp - 10 hours ago

0 by johnsrp »»
10 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
12 hours ago

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
Yesterday, 6:16 PM

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 5:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.