Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 4, 2016 10:51 AM

Nov 2013
Joms said:
pkKodama said:

Now you're asking too much lol
I'm not God to define what is in fact a good book, since I haven't read all the books in the world. All I can do is compare the ones I read and show my opinion about the ones I really liked and recommend it.
I recommended Alexandre Dumas to the OP and I really like Natsume Souseki too.

Wow, you clearly lost yourself there.

So you are saying that one should read 'good books' in order to grow 'philosophically', but you can't even define your own words. So that leaves that 'good books' as you are saying is actually up to God.

lol What?
I was just saying that I'm not God(and I don't even believe in god), because I can't stamp a book as "good book" or "bad book" as an absolute truth. I can only tell that one book is better than the other comparing them. And I did not read all books in the world. That's all I meant to say.
But if you want my own definition of a certain book, that's another thing. You would have to read a review of one of my favorite books to know my opinion of a good book.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Nov 4, 2016 10:56 AM

Feb 2015
pkKodama said:
Joms said:

Wow, you clearly lost yourself there.

So you are saying that one should read 'good books' in order to grow 'philosophically', but you can't even define your own words. So that leaves that 'good books' as you are saying is actually up to God.

lol What?
I was just saying that I'm not God(and I don't even believe in god), because I can't stamp a book as "good book" or "bad book" as an absolute truth. I can only tell that one book is better than the other comparing them. And I did not read all books in the world. That's all I meant to say.
But if you want my own definition of a certain book, that's another thing. You would have to read a review of one of my favorite books to know my opinion of a good book.

But you implied that reading good books entails philosophical growth as a fact. So how can you defend your argument, if you are not going to present a concrete example of a good book?
Nov 5, 2016 6:03 AM

Aug 2012
Insanius said:
@Yarub

Are you saying someone like Descartes is the same thing as Plato? And it isn't actually rewritten, of course there is a difference because of the change in language, but the basic message is the same.

No, both are different individual human beings that have different minds and tastes. Since the basic message is the same in all cases, and technically the whole concept will be the same in most cases, there's no apparent reason telling people to read this over that other than your personal reference.
Nov 5, 2016 6:44 AM

Jul 2016
Okay wise guys, seems like some of you seems to have pretty good knowledge about philosophy, mind giving me some recommendation? I'm completely clueless about this so give me something fun to read and easy to understand to start with. I want to try reading something I'm not familiar with. Thanks in advance.
Nov 5, 2016 12:29 PM

Jun 2015
Yarub said:
Insanius said:
@Yarub

Are you saying someone like Descartes is the same thing as Plato? And it isn't actually rewritten, of course there is a difference because of the change in language, but the basic message is the same.

No, both are different individual human beings that have different minds and tastes. Since the basic message is the same in all cases, and technically the whole concept will be the same in most cases, there's no apparent reason telling people to read this over that other than your personal reference.

What I meant to say was that do you think Descartes and Plato's philosophy is the same? There are many differences.
You're confusing everything! When i said that the basic message is the same, I said that the translation of Plato to english has the same message Plato has in greek. Also, just as an example, Descartes was inspired by plato, but he disagreed with him at certain points and ended up forming his own philosophical system, adressing questions Plato considered only briefly. Reading Descartes isn't the same thing as reading Plato.
Philosophers are inspired by earlier philosophers, or they may critique earlier philosophers. They do refer to earlier philosophers then, either criticizing or building on their system. Nietzsche disliked Plato and thought he was an idiot . You cannot understand Plato by reading nietzsche or descartes, so you should read Plato himself.
Nov 5, 2016 1:11 PM

Jun 2016
Feurbach's The Essence of Christianity is pretty good, it's got your philosophy and religion that you're looking for.

And there's always the religious texts themselves (Bible, Quran, etc), although I would recommend finding versions with commentary because it's important to understand the historical contexts of those texts.
The football field isn't the only place where you could use a good line.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

29 by traed »»
2 minutes ago

» What anime character would make a good villian in Courage The Cowardly Dog and why?

vasipi4946 - 10 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
49 minutes ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Apr 24

29 by ISeeLifePeople »»
1 hour ago

» Believe it or not, but my father-in-law works for law enforcement

DesuMaiden - Yesterday

13 by hypergoob »»
1 hour ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

11 by xthewarwithinx »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.