Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 23, 2016 11:01 AM

Oct 2014
I wanna try to optimize my anime viewing as much as I can for the series that are worth watching in their best condition possible, but I'm a noob and I need help from a tech-savvy senpai.

Taking Fate/Zero as an example, when I go to Nyaa there's CoalGirls and HorribleSubs, with CoalGirls' coming from the Blu-Ray and being much larger. I would imagine that it's much higher quality but since sometimes things are not as they seem, I ask: Is it worth the much larger size?

As for players, I've heard MPC-HC is the way to go but opinions on the codec vary. I'm not going to pretend to know what I'm talking about so I'd appreciate some help here. Another thing is I store my anime in an external drive so, in case that affects performance on some configurations.

Lastly, in case it's useful, my computer's a Windows 8.1 (laptop) with an Intel Pentium CPU B960 2.20 GHz processor, 4.00 GB or RAM (3.86 GB usable) and a 64-bit system.

Thanks in advance!
RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh
Oct 23, 2016 12:16 PM

Apr 2016
I don't think you need to really worry about the player you use, but vlc is free and great. And I just watch on kiss anime, the newer anime seem to always be in 1080p.
Oct 23, 2016 12:58 PM

Oct 2014
UnpopularAnime said:
I don't think you need to really worry about the player you use, but vlc is free and great. And I just watch on kiss anime, the newer anime seem to always be in 1080p.
I use KA as well but there's a loss in quality since the episode has to be encoded for streaming, plus its default form is an mp4 which comes with a loss of quality from the start, resulting mostly in pixellation in the dark. This isn't really a big deal but there are some shows I wanna watch in the highest quality that I can, some being Fate/Zero and Kara no Kyoukai which have many scenes in the dark, thus the pixellation is more noticeable. As for VLC, I downloaded it and took it out for a spin but it kept flashing grey pixellation. I looked up a solution and just saw people switching over the MPC-HC.
RainyRai said:

How disgusting tbh
Oct 23, 2016 1:04 PM

Nov 2008
Toa_of_Gallifrey said:
plus its default form is an mp4 which comes with a loss of quality from the start, resulting mostly in pixellation in the dark.
Most Blu-rays and MKV files use MP4. Matroska is just a container. MP4 is a good format.

I recommend MPC (32 bit version) with madVR.
EzekielOct 23, 2016 1:08 PM

Oct 23, 2016 1:24 PM

Oct 2014
Ezekiel said:
Toa_of_Gallifrey said:
plus its default form is an mp4 which comes with a loss of quality from the start, resulting mostly in pixellation in the dark.
Most Blu-rays and MKV files use MP4. Matroska is just a container. MP4 is a good format.

I recommend MPC (32 bit version) with madVR.

Ah, I see.

Thanks for the recommendation! Will download.
RainyRai said:

How disgusting tbh
Oct 23, 2016 2:07 PM

Nov 2008
But obviously, if you compress the MP4 enough, you're gonna get the loss of quality you were talking about. Sometimes, uploaders will specify the bitrate of the file on the page. The bitrate is a good measure of quality. I prefer an average of at least 16,000 kbps for a 1920x1080 video, which would make a 22 minute episode around 2.5 GB, but most people are satisfied with bitrates much smaller. I would first compare the different videos and see what you're comfortable with.

Oct 23, 2016 2:39 PM

Oct 2014
Ezekiel said:
But obviously, if you compress the MP4 enough, you're gonna get the loss of quality you were talking about. Sometimes, uploaders will specify the bitrate of the file on the page. The bitrate is a good measure of quality. I prefer an average of at least 16,000 kbps for a 1920x1080 video, which would make a 22 minute episode around 2.5 GB, but most people are satisfied with bitrates much smaller. I would first compare the different videos and see what you're comfortable with.
Is there a way to preview torrents?
RainyRai said:

How disgusting tbh
Oct 23, 2016 2:42 PM

Nov 2008
Toa_of_Gallifrey said:
Ezekiel said:
Is it possible in any way to preview torrents?
qBittorrent has an option called "Download in sequential order" and the other programs have similar options. It might take a while before the beginning of the video is viewable, though.

Oct 23, 2016 4:01 PM

Oct 2016
I understand you want the best quality possible. But your main focus is on reading the subs. Are you going to notice the small details that are otherwise overlooked?
Oct 23, 2016 4:07 PM

Oct 2014
GhostsNGlory said:
I understand you want the best quality possible. But your main focus is on reading the subs. Are you going to notice the small details that are otherwise overlooked?

This is for select series I've already seen, not for my usual watching.
RainyRai said:

How disgusting tbh
Oct 23, 2016 4:14 PM

Sep 2014
Idk if you already started downloading your anime, but I don't think you'd be able to run Coalgirls release of Fate fluently. If you're looking for the best possible way to watch anime, I can't guarantee your specs would be sufficient. MPC is recommended because it's more CPU based, and VLC is a ram whore, but your specs are a little under the bridge. You might experience some dropped frames if you use Coalgirls 1080 releases, but it should be minimal. If it was me, I wouldn't download Coalgirl's releases, I have them, and honestly, they don't look that different from Horriblesubs if you're watching it on a computer monitor that is a decent size. If you plan on watching it on TV that is 40+ inches it's another story.
Oct 23, 2016 4:21 PM

Mar 2014
You should pick up anime and manga from Bakabt. The community there finds the best torrents and keeps them alive. They have english dub, sub and very high quality torrents.
sullynathanOct 23, 2016 4:24 PM
Oct 23, 2016 5:13 PM

Sep 2014
madVR needs a reasonably powerful CPU, and its main purpose is high quality upscaling. If you're watching on a laptop with that kind of spec, chances are the monitor is also quite shit and what you watch it on doesn't really make a difference.

Nevertheless, Kawaii Codec Pack from haruhichan is an all in one solution that has a bunch of preset config for system spec that should be fine. Otherwise, mpv with opengl-hq renderer. Bomi is a nice looking MPV frontend
Oct 23, 2016 6:35 PM

Oct 2014
I plan to watch on a 36 inch TV, but performance is as important a factor as quality.

Elegade said:
Idk if you already started downloading your anime, but I don't think you'd be able to run Coalgirls release of Fate fluently. If you're looking for the best possible way to watch anime, I can't guarantee your specs would be sufficient. MPC is recommended because it's more CPU based, and VLC is a ram whore, but your specs are a little under the bridge. You might experience some dropped frames if you use Coalgirls 1080 releases, but it should be minimal. If it was me, I wouldn't download Coalgirl's releases, I have them, and honestly, they don't look that different from Horriblesubs if you're watching it on a computer monitor that is a decent size. If you plan on watching it on TV that is 40+ inches it's another story.

Alright, will use HorribleSubs. Truth be told it's the only reasonable choice, given the difference in sizes and seeds.

OSFrog said:
madVR needs a reasonably powerful CPU, and its main purpose is high quality upscaling. If you're watching on a laptop with that kind of spec, chances are the monitor is also quite shit and what you watch it on doesn't really make a difference.

Nevertheless, Kawaii Codec Pack from haruhichan is an all in one solution that has a bunch of preset config for system spec that should be fine. Otherwise, mpv with opengl-hq renderer. Bomi is a nice looking MPV frontend

I see, will try out the Kawaii Codec Pack. Thanks!
RainyRai said:

How disgusting tbh
Oct 24, 2016 2:01 AM
Jul 2018
Use MPC-HC if you have Windows, SMPlayer for Linux.
Oct 24, 2016 4:26 AM
Apr 2013
madVR is a GPU based media renderer. Unless you have a powerful GPU in your laptop, you are not recommended to use it.

Just as a reminder in case you haven't notice it, KCP have went under with no updates whatsoever since a year ago.
Oct 24, 2016 6:11 AM

Apr 2015
KCP died without any explanation a year ago. CCCP is probably your best bet at the moment.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Oct 24, 2016 2:46 PM

Sep 2014
CCCP was also last updated a year ago, and it has even less options. KCP has an EVR option, there is no reason to use CCCP over it. And non of the things packaged in it has gotten a significantly big enough update to warrant regular updtate, hence both of them not updating. MPC-HC last update was November 2015, and the others receive minor bugfixes that doesn't affect regular usage
OSFrogOct 24, 2016 2:49 PM

More topics from this board

» Exploring the Intersection of Games, Computers, and Tech Support: A Guide for Android App Development Companies in Saudi Arabia

johnsrp - 7 hours ago

0 by johnsrp »»
7 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
9 hours ago

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
Yesterday, 6:16 PM

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 5:59 PM

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

14 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 5:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.