Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 7, 2016 8:54 AM

Jul 2014
Hello everyone, I'm 25 and I'm french. I'm used to read english but not speak it, so I'm basically here to practice. I hope you'll be able to understand me. x)

A friend introduced me to manga in high school. First Dragon Ball, then all the recent Shonen Jump's classics like Naruto, One Piece (my favorite) or Bleach. I finally grew tired of the many stereotypical characters and situations used for this genre. Nanatsu no Taizai is one of the last shonen I read, I was really pissed off during most of my reading because it felt so lazy to me, so cliche... At the same time, I was getting disappointed by all those TV shows that last too long like Dexter, How I Met Your Mother and The Simpsons.

That's when I started to watch anime. For a long time, I thought anime were all like Naruto or One Piece, long term adaptation (is there a word for this?) with awfully slow paced episodes, bad animation and lots of fillers. I was happily surprised to find out there was a lot of great short anime. My favorite so far are Steins;Gate and Barakamon, and I think Nichijou and Osomatsu-san are the funniest things I've ever seen. But I'm still a noob, I've been watching anime for barely more than a year now.

Finally, I need to say that I hate fan service. Don't get me wrong, I freaking love boobs and ass but there are tons of hentai for those. I find fan service offensive for both women and men. Women because they're treated like pieces of meat, et men because they're treated like the dogs who'd like to eat them. I don't need to get a boner to enjoy an anime or a manga...

Anyway, thanks for reading!
Oct 7, 2016 12:35 PM

Nov 2013
hey johnny-jay!

don't be afraid to explore the forums, most will be very welcome! : )
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Oct 7, 2016 3:05 PM

Jan 2011
Welcome to the forums.
Oct 7, 2016 3:16 PM

Aug 2016
Aww that's neat. I wish I could be learning French but I'm stuck in Spanish

Welcome to MAL! Just message me or send me a friend request if you need anything
Oct 7, 2016 3:42 PM
May 2015
Hello Johnny! Welcome to the forums :)
Oct 7, 2016 5:20 PM

Dec 2014
Hey there~\(^ω^\) welcome to MAL forums!
Oct 7, 2016 7:35 PM

Jul 2014
Thanks everybody, it's nice to be here.
Oct 7, 2016 8:06 PM

Apr 2016
Bonjour Johnny! I'm learning French right now. Comment allez-vous?

Anyways, welcome to MAL
Just starting to get into manga. Entering full weebdom without any hope for return...
Oct 8, 2016 8:26 AM

Jul 2014
Thanks again.

TechnoTurtle-kun said:
Bonjour Johnny! I'm learning French right now. Comment allez-vous?

Bien, merci. Et toi ? ^^
(In this context you can use "tu" instead of "vous", it's less formal.) Good luck learning french, send me a message if you need anything.
Johnny-JayOct 8, 2016 8:40 AM
Oct 9, 2016 8:32 AM

Jul 2016
Hello and welcome to the mal community! I hope you enjoy your stay and follow the rules! I look forward to seeing you around ✌✌ Site & Forum Guidelines - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=516059
Oct 13, 2016 4:41 PM

Sep 2012
Salut :) un Français de plus ! Bienvenue à toi!
Oct 14, 2016 12:35 AM

Sep 2015
Bienvenue au MAL
Hope you have a great time here heh
"This signature is under construction." ~Fabuubz
Oct 14, 2016 5:29 AM

Jul 2015
Salut à toi camarade!

Je suis assez surpris que tu ai commencé les mangas/animes au lycée, je croyais qu'on s'y étais tous mis avec le club Dorothé dans cette génération ^^.

Si t'as des questions ou envie de papoter français, hein... :3
Oct 14, 2016 5:59 PM

Jul 2014
Thank you & merci. ^^

Clebardman said:
Salut à toi camarade!

Je suis assez surpris que tu ai commencé les mangas/animes au lycée, je croyais qu'on s'y étais tous mis avec le club Dorothé dans cette génération ^^.

Si t'as des questions ou envie de papoter français, hein... :3

Salut, je te réponds en MP pour éviter le HS.
Oct 15, 2016 8:51 AM

Dec 2013
Welcome to MAL Johnny :)

I'm currently studying French but my level is not too good even though it's my second language U_U and that's all because I wound up focusing more on English, the language I had more interest in. Since I purely learned it to watch anime with Eng subs because they were the most available. Pretty sure I just didn't do a very good job at looking up good sites for that but well, I'm sorta glad that happened, despite the consequences. Btw, your english seems pretty good already but good luck with that!

And I do kind of agree with your opinion on fan service but more than that, sometimes I feel like it's such a shame that some characters with potentional are a bit ruined when they could've been more than just a big breasted, curvy character. Some fan service every now and then is okay with me but there's limits to everything, when it goes past a point it just gets ridiculous.

Anyway, sorry for the lengthy comment xD enjoy your stay c:
Oct 16, 2016 4:58 AM
Jul 2018
Welcome to the forums!
Oct 17, 2016 12:15 AM

Dec 2014
Hey there~\(^ω^\) welcome to MAL forums!
Oct 17, 2016 12:58 AM

Jul 2016
Welcome to MAL Johnny-Jay!
Oct 19, 2016 9:13 AM

Jul 2014
Thank you everyone.

Viquena said:
I'm currently studying French but my level is not too good even though it's my second language U_U and that's all because I wound up focusing more on English, the language I had more interest in. Since I purely learned it to watch anime with Eng subs because they were the most available. Pretty sure I just didn't do a very good job at looking up good sites for that but well, I'm sorta glad that happened, despite the consequences. Btw, your english seems pretty good already but good luck with that!

I would have made the same choice. Everything you wanna know, watch, read... on the internet is in english. To me, sticking to french contents means scratching the surface, that's why I had to learn a bit of english. Speaking is optional though, but it can't hurt to try.

And I do kind of agree with your opinion on fan service but more than that, sometimes I feel like it's such a shame that some characters with potentional are a bit ruined when they could've been more than just a big breasted, curvy character. Some fan service every now and then is okay with me but there's limits to everything, when it goes past a point it just gets ridiculous.

Well yes, and it's even sadder when it concerns the only important female character in the anime. Plus fan service is often ridiculous, you see girls walking around and fighting in bikinis, or stupid situations where a guy stumbles and falls onto some girl's boobs. So funny and not cliche at all...

More topics from this board

» hihi!!

aniiaya - Yesterday

7 by MeguSae38 »»
4 hours ago

» Hello everyone!

Palash_6 - Apr 24

29 by Palash_6 »»
Yesterday, 8:24 AM

» introduce my activity

loligoth666 - Apr 22

10 by loligoth666 »»
Yesterday, 8:06 AM

» Hi everyone

fdasfdsadsa - Apr 23

5 by YanYan »»
Yesterday, 7:48 AM

» no longer lurking, always happy to befriend somebody!

not-perfect - Apr 23

12 by YanYan »»
Yesterday, 7:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.