Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 30, 2010 1:19 PM

Sep 2007
If you have a book or movie you really enjoyed with a noble heroine. Feel free to make a recommendation here. I'll add all recommendations to this master list.

Books:

The Chronicles of Prydain [third book] <fantasy>
-Princess Eilonwy (supporting character)

Dreaming the Eagle [first book] <historical fiction>
-Boudica (main character)

The Elf Queen of Shannara [third book of the Shannara story] <fantasy>
-Wren Elessedil (main character)

The Harry Potter Series [seven book series] <urban fantasy>
-Hermione Granger (main character)
-Nymphadora Tonks (supporting character)

Inheritance Cycle Series [four book series] <fantasy>
-Arya Dröttningu (main character)

Percy Jackson & the Olympians Series <urban fantasy>
-Annabeth Chase (main character)

The Sword of Truth Series [eleven book series] <fantasy>
-Kahlan Amnell (main character)

Tamsin <supernatural>
-Jennifer (protagonist)
-Tamsin (main character)

Winter of Fire <fantasy>
-Elsha (protagonist)

Movies:

Alice in Wonderland (2010) <fantasy>
-Alice (main character)

The Amazing Panda Adventure <adventure>
-Ling (main character)

Beauty and the Beast <historical fantasy>
-Belle (main character)

The Black Cauldron <fantasy>
-Princess Eilonwy (main character)

The Hunchback of Notre Dame <historical fiction>
-Esmeralda (main character)

The Last Unicorn <fantasy>
-Lady Amalthea/Unicorn (main character)

Mulan <historical fantasy>
-Mulan (main character)

Mulan II <historical fantasy>
-Mulan (main character)

Pocahontas <historical fiction>
-Pocahontas (main character)

The Princess and the Frog <urban fantasy>
-Princess Tiana (main character)

The Quest for Camelot <fantasy>
-Kayley (main character)

Television Shows:

Avatar: The Last Air-Bender <fantasy>
-Katara (main character)

Gargoyles <Poilce Drama, Supernatural>
-Elisa Maza (main character)

Xena: Warrior Princess <fantasy>
-Xena (main character)

Comics:

X-Men <super hero fantasy>
-Storm/Ororo Monroe (main character)
-Jean Gray (main character)
-Rogue/Anne Marie D'Amato (main character)
-Jubilee/Jubilation Lee (supporting character)
-Danielle Moonstar (supporting character)
-Shadowcat/Kitty Pryde (supporting character)
-Emma Frost (supporting character)

Video Games:

Final Fantasy V [SNES-PS-GBA] <RPG>
-Lenna Charlotte Tycoon (playable character)
-Faris Scherwiz (playable character)

Final Fantasy VI [SNES-PS-GBA] <RPG>
-Terra Brandford (playable character; main character)
-Celes Chere (playable character; main character)

Final Fantasy IX [PS-PSN] <RPG>
-Beatrix (playable character; supporting character)

Fire Emblem [GBA] <strategy>
-Lyn (playable character; main character)

Knights in the Nightmare [NDS-PSP] <SRPG/ Bullet Hell>
-Maria (playable character; main character)
-Alier (non-playable character)
-Algiery (playable character)
-Frabela (playable character)

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time [N64-VC-3DS] <Action Adventure>
-Princess Zelda (non-playable character)

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess [GC-Wii] <Action Adventure>
-Princess Zelda (non-playable character)

Metroid Series [most Nintendo systems] <Action-Adventure/FPS>
-Samus Aran (playable character; main character)

Rogue Galaxy [PS2] <RPG>
-Kisala (playable character; main character)
-Lilika (playable character)

Seiken Densetsu 3 [SNES - Japan only] <action RPG>
-Riesz/Lise (playable character)

Trace Memory [NDS] <text adventure>
- Ashley Mizuki Robbins (playable character; main character)
soaring_wingsApr 13, 2012 9:32 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jan 31, 2010 2:28 AM

Feb 2009
I want to nominate books. Actually it's four books about the same heroine. The story is about the life of Boudica, the irish fighting queen who lived around AD 42.
She fought like a man to save his nation,comrades and family from the invading armies of Rome. The first book: Dreaming the eagle
Jan 31, 2010 12:20 PM

Sep 2007
Finarien said:
I want to nominate books. Actually it's four books about the same heroine. The story is about the life of Boudica, the irish fighting queen who lived around AD 42.
She fought like a man to save his nation,comrades and family from the invading armies of Rome. The first book: Dreaming the eagle

Reminds me of Queen Elizabeth I. She described herself as a man in a women's body (due to the sexist notions in England about females and female rulers) and brought England into it's most prosperous age. :)

I've added it onto the list. I called it historical fiction, is that correct?
Feb 2, 2010 5:26 AM

Feb 2009
Yes I think it's ok. It has a historical base and a lot of facts but apart from that some part of the story and some of the other characters are fictional.
Well she didn't consider herself a man, at that time, in most of the tribes of England the woman were equal to man. They could be fighters if they wanted to.
Anyway Queen Elizabeth was also a great ruler of England!:)
Feb 20, 2010 11:34 AM

Mar 2009
Haven't read this in a few years, rereading it now-

Characters's Name: Tamsin & Jennifer both
Book: Tamsin ^^
Genres: Modern Ghost, Some Romance, Fantasy/Mythical/Legends, Fiction
Author Peter S. Begal

Character: Lady Amalthea
Movie(Because I haven't read the book): The Last Unicorn
Genres: Fantasy, Romance, Adventure
Movie Type: Animated-Anime hybrid (Not a full anime)

Character: Katara
Cartoon Series: Avatar: The Last Air-Bender
Genres: Looking up...
Movie Type: Animated-I would call it Anime Style There's actually a fight about it not being an anime with some people >_>
windeen-windyFeb 20, 2010 11:45 AM
Feb 21, 2010 5:48 PM

Sep 2007
I love Last Unicorn! I need to rewatch it.
will add everything you listed :]

edit: will fix the formatting later.
soaring_wingsFeb 21, 2010 5:55 PM
Feb 21, 2010 6:40 PM

Mar 2009
^^ I love the last unicorn too.
It's such a sweet movie, I haven't been able to get my hands on the book yet but would love to.
Thanks for adding them.
Apr 21, 2010 6:21 PM

Mar 2009
Character: Elisa Maza
Cartoon Series: Gargoyles: The Animated Series & The Goliath Chronicles
Genres: Police Drama, Fantasy With Historical References. So it’s not just a fantasy really.

There’s more detailed information about Elisa when you click on her name.
And more information about Gargoyles: The Animated Series, when you click there.
Also, there’s a comic book series of the same name. But I don’t know if you want to add the comics to the list or not. Since I’ve not read them I don’t know what she’s like there.
Apr 21, 2010 8:44 PM

Sep 2007
@windy: that show...I just got a blast from the past xD
Apr 21, 2010 10:16 PM

Mar 2009
^^ Did you watch it too? I loved it, and still do.
Apr 22, 2010 2:14 AM
Apr 2010
Book:
Wren from "Elf Queen of Shannara"?

Film:
Hardly any good heroines out there, but I thought ALICE from the latest "Alice In Wonderland" movie was great, what do you think?

Manga:
My fave character is Asuka from "Hana No Asukagumi". Actually, I went to a posh convent school but it didn't stop me from idolising her as the embodiment of a heroine^^
Apr 26, 2010 2:36 PM

Mar 2009
Hmm... well known female characters to add from Disney movies that aren't helpless ^^

I’m still into cartoons… I’m not sure all of these characters fit it completely or not. But I figured I’d mention them anyway.
windeen-windyApr 26, 2010 2:47 PM
Apr 26, 2010 4:02 PM

Sep 2007
oh, so many suggestions...I'll try to get through everything today. But it will take some time.

windeen-windy said:
^^ Did you watch it too? I loved it, and still do.

yes, but not a lot. I think I didn't like the Gargoyles. I remember thinking they were weird. xD

cercia_highelf said:
Book:
Wren from "Elf Queen of Shannara"?

I haven't read this, but from the wiki summary it seems pretty good. I will add it to the master list. :)

cercia_highelf said:
Film:
Hardly any good heroines out there, but I thought ALICE from the latest "Alice In Wonderland" movie was great, what do you think?

again, I haven't watched it, but I'll give it the benefit of doubt and include it in the master list. :)

cercia_highelf said:
Manga:
My fave character is Asuka from "Hana No Asukagumi". Actually, I went to a posh convent school but it didn't stop me from idolising her as the embodiment of a heroine^^

all manga additions should be posted in the thread: "Additions to the Relations" since they will be added to our relations. I'll reply to this in that thread later.

windeen-windy said:

Ariel:
The Little Mermaid
The Little Mermaid: Return to the Sea
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning (Haven’t seen this one so I’m not sure)
The Little Mermaid TV Series

I haven't watched the little mermaid, but wasn't Ariel quite foolish? Didn't she put her whole kingdom at risk just to get with the prince?

windeen-windy said:

Mulan:
Mulan
Mulan 2

Only watched Mulan 1, but she was awesome. I'll add her~

windeen-windy said:
Bell:
Beauty and the Beast
Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas

Belle's good enough as well. I won't be adding Enchanted Christmas, since she doesn't really do much in that.

I'll get back to you on the others later. I'm getting hungry. xD
Apr 27, 2010 2:09 AM

Mar 2009
Ok ^^ Hmm, yes, The Gargoyles are strange looking... I guess I got use to them though ^^

About the other girls-sorry I should have given you detaoils on them but I thought most people had seen the movies ^^; sorry about that-here's some details:

Question: Does any heroin count? I know she has to fit the guidelines on the main page, but can she be an animal as well? Like an animated animal?
Apr 28, 2010 12:17 PM

Sep 2007
Alright, continuing with the additions now:

windeen-windy said:
Jasmine:
Aladdin
Aladdin: The Return of Jafar
Aladdin: The King of Thieves
Aladdin The Animated TV Series

I'm really torn about Jasmine. On the one hand, she tries to save her father from Jaffar, but on the other, she can't seem to come to terms with being a princess and talking with her father about marriage. She's also often overshadowed by Aladdin, and sees more like an addition to 'his' story. For now, I'll leave her off the list.

windeen-windy said:
Pocahontas:
Pocahontas
Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World

Pocahontas was one of my favourite Disney characters. She's very brave and stands up for what she believes. I do think she deserves to be listed. :)

windeen-windy said:
Tinker Bell:
Tinker Bell The Movie
Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure

I never watched any of these, but the original Tinker Bell was very jealous of Wendy.

windeen-windy said:
Megara:
Hercules

I can see why you would be suggesting her, but I think she's not noble enough. She does try to correct her mistake, but ultimately, she falls into the category of 'damsel in distress'.

windeen-windy said:
Jane:
Tarzan

again, like Megara, I can see why you would be suggesting her, but I don't recall her doing much other than being Tarzan's love interest and being saved by him. Her teaching him to be 'civilized' could be interpreted as noble, but I thought of it more of an experiment and she just happened to fall in love.

----------------------------------------------------------
windeen-windy said:
Ariel- She is foolish at first, but towards the end she gives up her chance to be with him to fight the sea witch and to save her father and her kingdom.
I haven't watched it in a few years actually.
She does realize that it was a mistake to have done that just to get him to notice her... she ends up turning back into a mermaid and fighting Ursula, the sea witch. The prince also jumps into the ocean and attempts to help her, together they defeat Ursula, and then she brings him back to shore, while he's unconscious. Then she watched while he wakes up and looks for her, as she silently says her goodbyes to him.
Her father King Triton is watching HER and he asks her start if she really loved the prince. Sebastian, her Stuart says that she really does. So then Triton gives her legs and tells her to be happy.

In the second one, the retune to the sea, her daughter Melody is the main character but Ariel still plays a roll. When Melody is born, Ursula's sister tries to kill them. So Ariel and Prince Eric build a sea wall, to keep her separated from her family that lives under the sea. So that Ursula's sister can't use the child to get to Triton.
But Melody wants to go to the sea as badly as her mother wanted legs, she manages to get out, and then the sea witch gets a hold of her.
This causes trouble for both the sea and human kingdom. Ariel asks her father to make her a mermaid again and she leads the search party under the water while Eric leads one in ships.
There's a final confrontation here as well, Both Melody work with Eric to defeated this sea witch. Melody having learned her mistake and Ariel having also learned her own, about not telling Melody about her mer-relatives.

I don’t know about the 3rd movie.
As for the TV series, Ariel does still do foolish things. That’s before the first movie though, and while she does do foolish things, She does learn from her mistakes and attempt to fix them.

I think I may be a bit prejudice about Ariel because I read a really interesting paper where her character was deconstructed and she was basically a metaphor for women doing everything and anything to get a man to notice them. I know that shouldn't negate her later actions, but it's really hard for me to see her in a positive light after I read that.
For her daughter, why didn't they explain why she couldn't go back? Would that not have been easier than creating a wall? We can discuss this more of course. :)

windeen-windy said:
Hmm… Megura- She’s a scorned woman who worked for Hades to kill Hercules at the start (Not scorned by Hercules) who died in order to protect the man she moves. She’s helping Hades in order to get her life back.
But she falls in love with Hercules and she regrets her actions, she tries to tell him.. But she gets interrupted and then Hades puts his plan into action. When he finds out, Hercules is enraged. And very sad. He gives up the will to go on.

Not long later his life is in danger from a titan. And since he has no strength or will to live, he is very nearly killed, but Megura pushed him out of the way in the last instant and she is in turn, tilled.
With her dead, Hercules regains his powers and fights the titans and Hades.
But then he demands her soul back.
Knowing she saved him even though she knew she’d die.
He risks his life to save hers and he chooses to stay with her on earth when he’s offered a place among the gods.

Bascially, I stand by what I said above. She does do good things, but she ultimately falls into the 'damsel in distress' category. I do agree she has good qualities, but for a noble heroine, you need more than just good qualities, you need to be in an active position. As a damsel in distress, her position is passive; she is saved by Hercules. There is only a single time she saves him, and it's more of a morale support thing for the hero, so that he can do his heroic deed.

windeen-windy said:
Jasmine-in all 3 movies worried about her kingdom and it’s people, but like Ariel, she was tired of being caged in so she ran away. However, she never once really put the welfare of her kingdom in danger really. She initially ran away because she was too sheltered and her father was trying to force her to marry men she didn’t like.
She risked her life on a few occasions to protect her country from Jafar and to help Aladdin.

In the last movie, she wasn’t as active in it as she was in the first 2 but she still did help a lot when Aladdin and his father needed her help.
That was also in the welfare of her kingdom if I remember right since they were fighting someone who could become very, very dangerous if he was able to obtain the power he was trying to get.
In the TV series, she wasn’t in every episode, but most of them and she proves herself many times there too (I haven’t seen it in years though so I can’t remember when she did what though).

Again, I can see why she was suggestion, but I'm really torn about her. She does a few good deeds here and there, but ultimately, she's Aladdin's woman and it's Aladdin who saves her.

windeen-windy said:
Jane-she was a daughter of a scientist who went to Africa. They wanted to study the gorillas.
But soon after they met Tarzan, and she became fascinated with him. She took it upon herself to teach him to act like a human, more than a monkey. She taught him to speak and befriended him.
Soon she’d fallen in love with him, and when some of their crew from the research team tried to capture the gorillas‘, she and Tarzan did all they could to protect the Gorillas from being taken to England.
Going so far as to almost be shot several times.

Ah, I feel like I'm repeating myself because my response is so late. xD
I'll just say, please read above for my full response :3

windeen-windy said:
Question: Does any heroin count? I know she has to fit the guidelines on the main page, but can she be an animal as well? Like an animated animal?

She can be an animal as well, as long as it's made explicit that the animal is female. Like in the case of The Last Unicorn, it is made explicit that the Unicorn is female when she turns into a women. Other examples are animals who have babies, they are explicitly stated to be female because they give birth. I hope that makes sense. :)
soaring_wingsApr 28, 2010 12:21 PM
Apr 29, 2010 1:20 AM

Mar 2009
Yes ^^ About your comment about the Little Mermaid:

I’m starting with the older movies I know and moving up to the other references I have to pull them from.
Onward -here’s my next idea for addition-
Name: Ling
Movie: The Great Panda Adventure
About Ling:
Apr 29, 2010 4:09 PM

Sep 2007
windeen-windy said:
Was that break down for the Disney mermaid of the original? I’d like to read it too because I’m curious ^^

I never watched the Disney version, but that article went in-between the two version: original and Disney. Since I never watched the Disney version, I wasn't able to distinguish when the author was speaking about one version unless she specifically mention the Ariel she was talking about.
I really wish I had that link. My friend sent in over to me through messenger once, but I never saved it. I thought the most interesting thing about that article was that it was written by a lady who adored 'The Little Mermaid' when she was little, but when she rewatched it, she was shocked with what she saw. I guess I should also mention this was a feminist deconstruction. (Too bad feminism is such a dirty word now).

I guess, it's like what happened to me, not so long ago with 'Last Unicorn'. I loved it as a kid, but when I recently rewatched, I was shocked with some parts. I'll add 'The Little Mermaid' onto the list since the Disney version sounds better and she does redeem herself in the end.

Ling: She sounds great, I'll add that to the list as well.

EDIT:
I was about to add The Little Mermaid when I started reading the wiki entry.
wikipedia said:
Triton appears and confronts Ursula, but cannot destroy Ursula's contract with Ariel. Triton chooses to sacrifice himself for his daughter, and is transformed into a polyp. Ursula takes Triton's crown and trident, which was her plan from the beginning. Ursula uses her new power to gloat, transforming into a giant, and forming a whirlpool that disturbs several shipwrecks to the surface, one of which Eric commandeers. Just as Ursula is set to use the trident to destroy Ariel, Eric turns the wheel hard to port and runs Ursula through the abdomen with the ship's splintered bowsprit, mortally wounding her. With her last breaths, Ursula pulls the ship down with her, but Eric escapes to shore in time.

With Ursula gone, her power breaks and the polyps in Ursula's garden (including Triton) turn back into the old merpeople. Later, after seeing that Ariel really loves Eric and that Eric also saved him in the process, Triton willingly changes her from a mermaid into a human using his trident. She runs into Eric's arms, and the two finally kiss.

In the final scene, an unspecified amount of time later, Ariel marries Eric in a wedding where both humans and merpeople attend.

It doesn't say anything about Ariel actually saving her father or kingdom. It just says Eric kills Ursula. What exactly does Ariel do? (sorry this is the final time I'll ask.) ^^;;;
soaring_wingsApr 29, 2010 5:54 PM
Apr 29, 2010 8:08 PM

Mar 2009
soaring_wings said:

It doesn't say anything about Ariel actually saving her father or kingdom. It just says Eric kills Ursula. What exactly does Ariel do? (sorry this is the final time I'll ask.) ^^;;;

I don't actually remember her actions since it's been a number of years since I saw it. However, I do remember that after her father was turned into a polyp, that she fought Ursula to the best of her ability without any weapons and her friends held at weapon point (Her father's triton). But I can't remember what her actions are.
I do remember that while Ursula was trying to kill her at one point that Eric found a sunken ship and managed to spear Ursula with it.
I honestly can't remember what she did though, other than, that she worked with Eric and fought against Ursula to the best of her abilities, while being unarmed (And at one point without legs or the ability to swim away. She was quite pitiful at that time ^^; That I admit)-trying to fix her mistakes.

But you don't have to add her if you don't think she does enough, I understand perfectly.
And also I understand some about feminism-I'm one of those to a point....

Name: Xena
TV Series: Xena: Warrior Princess
Genres: Historical, Action, Drama
Do you need any other info on this?
I'm not mentioning many girls from books because it's been a while since I've been to the library, but when I can get there and check on a few of them, I'll start adding book female characters as well.

And...

Name: Esmerelda
Disney Movie: Hunch Back of Notredam
Genres: Historical, Fantasy, Religious, Drama? Not sure about the last one.
She's a gypsy who fights against racism and predigest as well as oppression of her people and others.
windeen-windyApr 29, 2010 8:18 PM
May 1, 2010 10:54 AM

Sep 2007
windeen-windy said:
I don't actually remember her actions since it's been a number of years since I saw it. However, I do remember that after her father was turned into a polyp, that she fought Ursula to the best of her ability without any weapons and her friends held at weapon point (Her father's triton). But I can't remember what her actions are.
I do remember that while Ursula was trying to kill her at one point that Eric found a sunken ship and managed to spear Ursula with it.
I honestly can't remember what she did though, other than, that she worked with Eric and fought against Ursula to the best of her abilities, while being unarmed (And at one point without legs or the ability to swim away. She was quite pitiful at that time ^^; That I admit)-trying to fix her mistakes.

But you don't have to add her if you don't think she does enough, I understand perfectly.

I'm glad you understand. It's great that she tries hard, but the fact that this is her fault to begin with because she was so foolish and then she need Eric to save her really does not work it her favour. ^^;;;

windeen-windy said:
Name: Xena
TV Series: Xena: Warrior Princess
Genres: Historical, Action, Drama
Do you need any other info on this?
I'm not mentioning many girls from books because it's been a while since I've been to the library, but when I can get there and check on a few of them, I'll start adding book female characters as well.

Another blast from the past! Oh I adored Xena. I remember wanting to be a warrior like her. I think Xena is also responsible with my obsession for greek myths. I remember her story would cross paths with the one staring the guy (I think it was Heracles, but I'm not sure). Since I watched both, I really liked those episodes. Actually, I think I'll try to find some episodes now and rewatch it. xD
and yes, I'll add her onto the master list as well.

windeen-windy said:
Name: Esmerelda
Disney Movie: Hunch Back of Notredam
Genres: Historical, Fantasy, Religious, Drama? Not sure about the last one.
She's a gypsy who fights against racism and predigest as well as oppression of her people and others.

Another Disney move I haven't watched. But I'll add her, since she looks very active in all the commercials I saw.

btw, Windy, is it just me or has there been a lack of awesome female heroines in shows nowadays. The most awesome ones are usually from the 90s or earlier. This applies to anime as well.

About feminism:
soaring_wingsMay 1, 2010 11:03 AM
May 1, 2010 3:13 PM

Mar 2009
soaring_wings said:

Another Disney move I haven't watched. But I'll add her, since she looks very active in all the commercials I saw.

btw, Windy, is it just me or has there been a lack of awesome female heroines in shows nowadays. The most awesome ones are usually from the 90s or earlier. This applies to anime as well.

Yeah, Esmerelda was cool... lol so was her pet goat ^^ I remember her going up against a number of soldiers (Or maybe they were knights?) Who the church sent after her.
When you have a chance you should try watching it. There's a second movie, and if I remember right, she's actiually quite active there as well. But She wasn't the main female in that... I'm trying to remember if that girl was noble enough. She wasn't much of a fighter, more of a singer, if I remember right, but she did stand up for her beliefes and so on... I'll post her name later if I remember.

Anyway-I agree, most of the awesome ones are usually from the 90s or earlier- There's a few that are from more recently, but not many.
May 4, 2010 1:10 AM

Mar 2009

Name: Hermione Granger {Main Female Character}
~
Name: Ginerva Weasley {Secondary Female}
Mainly Called: Ginny
~
Name: Molly Weasley {Supporting Female}
~
Name: Nymphadora Tonks {Supporting Female}
Mainly Called: Tonks
~
Name: Professor Minerva McGonagall {Supporting Female}
~
Name: Luna Lovegood {Supporting Female}
~~~
Books: The Harry Potter Book Series by J. K. Rowling

I’ll explain why I think their all noble if I know if you’ll accept all of them (Mainly I’m not sure if you want to have secondary or supporting female characters in the list or not). If your willing to consider them all, then I’ll explain why I think They all are deserving of being on the list ^^
Even though they are secondary or supporting, each of the above girls is actually quite importand to the story as it progresses, and at times the books do focus on each one.

~*~

Name: Annabeth Chase
Books: The Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series by Rick Riordan

~*~

Name: Princess Arya Dröttningu
Books: The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini

I’ll also write up the explanation of why Arya and Annabeth should be added (In my opinion) when I do the ones for the Harry Potter series as well.
windeen-windyMay 4, 2010 1:13 AM
May 9, 2010 8:06 PM

Sep 2007
windeen-windy said:

Name: Hermione Granger {Main Female Character}

I think Hermione is borderline, but she is good enough.

windeen-windy said:
Name: Ginerva Weasley {Secondary Female}
Mainly Called: Ginny
~
Name: Molly Weasley {Supporting Female}
~
Name: Nymphadora Tonks {Supporting Female}
Mainly Called: Tonks
~
Name: Professor Minerva McGonagall {Supporting Female}
~
Name: Luna Lovegood {Supporting Female}

I'm not too sure about these characters. I don't really recall them doing anything that would deem them noble. You don't have to write a detail summary, but point me to the scene/part where you think they shine. I've read the books, but it has been awhile. xD

windeen-windy said:
Name: Annabeth Chase
Books: The Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series by Rick Riordan

~*~

Name: Princess Arya Dröttningu
Books: The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini

I'll get back to you on these. I haven't really heard of these, so when I have a bit more time, I'll read a bit about them on wiki. =)
May 9, 2010 11:30 PM

Mar 2009
Ok ^^
I don‘t have time to go threw the books at this time, it‘s been a while since I read them as well-But Here‘s the links with info about them from wikipedia.

Here are some links I should have thought to give you for the characters:
Ginny Weasley

Tonks

Luna Lovegood

McGonagall <-- It's a hat toss, she did help a lot. But I don't know if she does enough. I thought I'd suggest her since I was suggesting the others but I honestly don't know if she's good enough.

Molly Weasley <-- What I said about McGonagall also applies to Molly.

Also, I thought about suggesting Lily Potter, since she DEFFINATELY fits it. But since she's dead and doesn't actually play an active roll in the correct events of the books, I wasn't sure.

When your looking up info on Annabeth, she's very much like Hermione-only she's Athena's daughter... she does a bit more than Hermione in those books as well, though she does have one problem.
For the first 3 books or so she has a crush for one of the bad guys, and that blinds her to some things... but as she gets older and learns more she starts to realize her blindness to those things. I put a link to her page below for you. (Trying to make your job a bit easier ^^;)
Link:
Annabeth Chase
The movie for this was crap in my opinion.

And Arya is an Elf Princess/Warrior who is very strict, but loyal.
But she's very important to the story and the first book starts with her fighting for her life to protect something very precious to several races (Namely to the Humans, Elves, Dwarves and Dragons).
But I think Arya has enough info in wikipedia for you. So you probably won’t need the info above ^^
Link:
Arya

The movie for this was ok, and she's portrayed fairly well in it, so if you add the books, you might want to add the movie too, though they do show her a bit less often in the movie and they don't seem to want to make the rest which annoys me.
Also, they do portray her a bit weaker in the movie for a while than she should be, but after what she went through (Torture-both physical and mental) it's natural for her to be weak and a bit frightened. but she's such a strong character.

Take your time, I just figured I'd give you the links to help and save time.
windeen-windyMay 9, 2010 11:47 PM
May 10, 2010 10:09 AM
May 2010
Kahlan Amnell from The Sword of Truth books (the tv series called Legend of the seeker)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kahlan_Amnell
she is strong and kind and trying to save a nations in books and a world in other books
May 11, 2010 3:22 AM

Feb 2008
Samus Aran - The Metroid Series

Arguably she's not a heroine because of have bounty hunter status, but she has done many heroic deeds.

Ororo Monroe/Storm

Debatable because I really don't know that much about Xmen.

Haley Starshine - Order of the Stick

Noble is a stretch, but she is a heroine. Not only that but she's the second in command of the order and has shown herself to be a capable leader.
May 11, 2010 9:33 AM

Mar 2009
Damonashu said:

Ororo Monroe/Storm

While I haven't seen the comic books, and I don't like the live action movies, I've seen animated TV shows and movies (If I remember right) about The X-Men.
I second Storm-she was a queen (If I remember right) in Africa before joining the X-men and was very cool.
She was a voice of control and reason for some of the other female characters and risked a lot to keep anyone she was working with (As a team or team leader).

Also, I'll suggest Jean Gray - I was never able to finish watching the first animated series, but I would love to do so and read the comics. I Think for both women the comics and original X-Men Animated series as well as possible the animated series about what lead to them being this way (It's called X-men evolution).

Other female X-Men I think you might want to look into on are:
Anna Marie D’Amato (Rogue)
Rogue was in the comics, and both animated series.

Jubilation Lee (Jubilee)
Jubilee was in the comics, and both animated series.

These girls were ones I don’t exactly remember everything I’ve read. However a number of years ago, I remembered reading about them and thinking they were cool- But I don’t remember reading if they were noble (At the time I wasn’t really paying attention to that).

Danielle Moonstar(Dani)
Katherine Anne Pryde (Kitty)
Kitty and Dani were both in the series X-Men Evolution and in the comics.
Emma Frost
I think she was only in the comics, but it’s been so long that I don’t really remember if she was in the series-I think she might have been though.

As for the live action movies, my problem with them is more or less how much of the story they left out in trying to make them seem to real (They left the elements of magic and mysticism that helped to make the characters and stories what they were) but I believe their probably accurate enough about Jean and Storm at least.
Figured I'd suggest the other women from X-men since Storm was mentioned.
They all have their flaws but all of them (Except for Emma and Kitty because I can't really remember and don't have time to read about them at the moment) are loyal to their friends and teammates, They all have been abused in one way or another by non-mutants yet they don't have, or learn to over come there problems with the non-mutants.
They work to try and keep the peace. In Jean's case she kills herself in order to keep herself (In a possessed state) from destroying the world.

X-Men Wiki
X-Men Films
X-Men Animated Series I watched as a kid
X-Men: Evolution--This is about the forming of the X-men
X-Men Comics

windeen-windyMay 11, 2010 9:46 AM
Jun 29, 2010 11:09 AM

Sep 2007
windeen-windy said:

Here are some links I should have thought to give you for the characters:
Ginny Weasley

Again. She doesn't do much to consider her really noble. She's there to love Harry. All she does is join Dumbledore's army like everyone else.

windeen-windy said:
Tonks

Oh, I mistook Tonks for someone else. xD
I'll be adding her onto the list.

windeen-windy said:
Luna Lovegood

Again like Ginny, I don't think she does enough to warrant a listing. I will admit though, I like Luna as a character. Her strangeness is cute. :)

windeen-windy said:
McGonagall <-- It's a hat toss, she did help a lot. But I don't know if she does enough. I thought I'd suggest her since I was suggesting the others but I honestly don't know if she's good enough.

Yeah, like Luna and Ginny before her. I don't think McGonagal does enough to warrant a listing.

windeen-windy said:

Molly Weasley <-- What I said about McGonagall also applies to Molly.

Hm, on the one hand, she was very active in the Order of the Phoenix, on the other, she need to see Fred die in order to duel with Bellatrix. I'm torn. For now, I'll leave her off the list.

windeen-windy said:
Also, I thought about suggesting Lily Potter, since she DEFFINATELY fits it. But since she's dead and doesn't actually play an active roll in the correct events of the books, I wasn't sure.

Well, she doesn't really do much except save her son, which is normal, or at least I would hope so. ^^;;; So yeah, I don't think there is enough evidence to add her onto the list.

I'll address the other suggests soon. :)
Jul 15, 2010 6:24 PM

Sep 2007
windeen-windy said:

When your looking up info on Annabeth, she's very much like Hermione-only she's Athena's daughter... she does a bit more than Hermione in those books as well, though she does have one problem.
For the first 3 books or so she has a crush for one of the bad guys, and that blinds her to some things... but as she gets older and learns more she starts to realize her blindness to those things. I put a link to her page below for you. (Trying to make your job a bit easier ^^;)
Link:
Annabeth Chase
The movie for this was crap in my opinion.

And Arya is an Elf Princess/Warrior who is very strict, but loyal.
But she's very important to the story and the first book starts with her fighting for her life to protect something very precious to several races (Namely to the Humans, Elves, Dwarves and Dragons).
But I think Arya has enough info in wikipedia for you. So you probably won’t need the info above ^^
Link:
Arya

The movie for this was ok, and she's portrayed fairly well in it, so if you add the books, you might want to add the movie too, though they do show her a bit less often in the movie and they don't seem to want to make the rest which annoys me.
Also, they do portray her a bit weaker in the movie for a while than she should be, but after what she went through (Torture-both physical and mental) it's natural for her to be weak and a bit frightened. but she's such a strong character.

Take your time, I just figured I'd give you the links to help and save time.

Well, I'm back on track to getting through all the requests. Will add both. Annabeth does seem Hermione-like and although she doesn't sound like the best one. I agree that she does enough to warrant her listing.

Arya sounds great as well. I've seen those books around and have always been tempted to read them. Guess now I have a reason to do that. xD
Aug 2, 2010 5:13 PM

Sep 2007
Old_Dream said:
Kahlan Amnell from The Sword of Truth books (the tv series called Legend of the seeker)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kahlan_Amnell
she is strong and kind and trying to save a nations in books and a world in other books

Will be added.

Damonashu said:
Samus Aran - The Metroid Series

Arguably she's not a heroine because of have bounty hunter status, but she has done many heroic deeds.

I'm not too familiar with Metroid (although I've been told to give the earlier games a try), but from the bits of information I do have, she does seem to go out of her way to do the right thing. Will be added.

windeen-windy said:
Damonashu said:

Ororo Monroe/Storm

While I haven't seen the comic books, and I don't like the live action movies, I've seen animated TV shows and movies (If I remember right) about The X-Men.
I second Storm-she was a queen (If I remember right) in Africa before joining the X-men and was very cool.
She was a voice of control and reason for some of the other female characters and risked a lot to keep anyone she was working with (As a team or team leader).

Yeah, I third Storm as well. She totally slipped my mind, otherwise I would have added her. She seems like the one who's got her heart in the right place and best understands the implications of mutant actions. Will be added. :)

Damonashu said:
Haley Starshine - Order of the Stick

Noble is a stretch, but she is a heroine. Not only that but she's the second in command of the order and has shown herself to be a capable leader.

She seems like a fun character....but she's lacking in the nobility department. :(
Aug 27, 2010 4:00 AM

May 2009
Hello everyone, i want to request an heroin from an old game.

Name: Riesz
Game: Seiken Densetsu 3
About Riesz:
Sep 1, 2010 3:27 PM

Sep 2007
windeen-windy said:
Also, I'll suggest Jean Gray - I was never able to finish watching the first animated series, but I would love to do so and read the comics. I Think for both women the comics and original X-Men Animated series as well as possible the animated series about what lead to them being this way (It's called X-men evolution).

shall be added. :)

windeen-windy said:
Other female X-Men I think you might want to look into on are:
Anna Marie D’Amato (Rogue)
Rogue was in the comics, and both animated series.

Jubilation Lee (Jubilee)
Jubilee was in the comics, and both animated series.

both shall be added. :)

windeen-windy said:
These girls were ones I don’t exactly remember everything I’ve read. However a number of years ago, I remembered reading about them and thinking they were cool- But I don’t remember reading if they were noble (At the time I wasn’t really paying attention to that).

Danielle Moonstar(Dani)
Katherine Anne Pryde (Kitty)
Kitty and Dani were both in the series X-Men Evolution and in the comics.
Emma Frost
I think she was only in the comics, but it’s been so long that I don’t really remember if she was in the series-I think she might have been though.

Danielle sounds quite noble. I think Kitty and Emma are passable as well. Shall be added. :)

Mimoas said:
Hello everyone, i want to request an heroin from an old game.

Name: Riesz
Game: Seiken Densetsu 3
About Riesz:

shall be added :)
Sep 10, 2010 10:37 AM

May 2009
Two characters from another game.

Name: Freya
Game: Final Fantasy IX
About Freya:

Name: Beatrix
Game: Final Fantasy IX
About Beatrix:

Sorry my english was too poor for explain my choices :p
Sep 14, 2010 3:34 PM

Sep 2007
-Freya: I haven't played the game and from that description, I don't see anything noble about her. She was just looking for her long lost love, which is not really noble. Sorry.

-Beatrix: I bit of a hit and miss character. On one hand, she seems blindly loyal to the point of committing crimes in the name of the Queen, but on the other hand, she eventually does go against the Queen and protects a city. I guess in the end, she does qualify, so I will be listing her. :)
Sep 17, 2010 5:01 AM

Feb 2009
Sorry this is most likely off but I can't stop myself from commenting. Whenever I hear the name Freya it always reminds me of the skandinavian Godess of light and love who is actually one of my favourite godess out there. She actually saves and protects mankind an her family in different myths and legends.
Sep 17, 2010 5:35 AM

Mar 2009
Finarien said:
Sorry this is most likely off but I can't stop myself from commenting. Whenever I hear the name Freya it always reminds me of the Scandinavian Goddess of light and love who is actually one of my favorite goddess out there. She actually saves and protects mankind an her family in different myths and legends.

Me to- there is an anime character of her(In the anime Mythical Detective Loki- also possibly in other Animes), but she's a poor representation of the goddess in the myths.
Since Freya (Also called Freyja) is a myth, I don't know if she'd be added here, but maybe she should be added? Just a thought.... not really sure, I don't know her myths too well but you could read about her on Wikipedia and a website called God Checker.
Myths are Media too I think since their written.
Sep 17, 2010 11:54 AM

Sep 2007
@windeen: interesting suggestion. It would be hard to implement since most myths have multiple versions, and most goddesses are portrayed in a good light (well except for the evil ones...). Thus that would kind of defeat the purpose of them being listed. If there is some kind of novel/comic/movie adaptation of a myth (sort of like that Percy Jackson and the Olymians you suggested awhile go), that's fine. :)
Sep 17, 2010 12:23 PM

Mar 2009
Ok ^^ Perfectly understandable.
Sep 17, 2010 12:25 PM

Feb 2009
@soaring_wings: i think I can't totally agree on what you said about godesses. Just take Hera from the Greek mythology. She is portrayed as a good and a bad person too, being jelous all the time, make it hard for certain humans.
On the other hand you are certainly right about the fact that if we agree on accepting myths we would be able to get loooooads of Godesses on the list, so they would loose their uniqueness. :P
Apr 19, 2011 4:25 PM

Apr 2011
Princess Eilonwy from the film "The Black Cauldron."
She is also in the books, "The Chronicles of Prydain" by Lloyd Alexander

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Eilonwy
Apr 22, 2011 7:42 AM

Mar 2009
Name: Kisala
Playable Main Character (One of a number of playable main characters in the game)
Game: Rogue Galaxy
Platform: PlayStation 2
Character info:

Name: Lilika Rhyza
Playable Main Character (One of a number of playable main characters in the game)
Character info:

Rogue Galaxy Wiki link: http://roguegalaxy.wikia.com/wiki/Rogue_Galaxy_Wiki
Rogue Galaxy Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_galaxy#Characters
windeen-windyApr 26, 2011 1:11 PM
Apr 2, 2012 7:03 AM

Sep 2007
mintykittycat said:
Princess Eilonwy from the film "The Black Cauldron."
She is also in the books, "The Chronicles of Prydain" by Lloyd Alexander

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Eilonwy]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Eilonwy

She has a lot of pros and cons, but I think she earns her keep. I shall add her. :)

windeen-windy said:
Name: Kisala
Character info:

She sounds pretty in-line with the club standards. Shall be added.

windeen-windy said:
Name: Lilika Rhyza
Character info:

Rogue Galaxy Wiki link: http://roguegalaxy.wikia.com/wiki/Rogue_Galaxy_Wiki
Rogue Galaxy Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_galaxy#Characters

She sounds great. I really like that bit about her conflict with doing the morally right choice and doing something to appease the villagers. The thing that stands out to me is her accepting the consequences of doing the morally right thing. Shall be added. :)
Apr 6, 2012 3:40 PM
Sep 2010
Good list! I wish add Zelda/Sheik of Zelda Ocarina of Time in the category video games.
Apr 7, 2012 7:32 AM

Sep 2007
Armando said:
Good list! I wish add Zelda/Sheik of Zelda Ocarina of Time in the category video games.

Good catch! I can't believe I forgot about her. ^__^;; I think Twilight Princess' Zelda also earns her keep (albeit, I do think OoT's Zelda is a bit more noble and strong). I'll add both. :)
Apr 9, 2012 9:50 AM

Mar 2009
Princess Tiana (Disney)
Lady Kayley (Warrner Bros.)
Princess Anastasia (Don Bluth/20th Century Fox)

Info about each one below:

Character's Name: Princess Tiana
Media: Movie -- Animated (Disney)
Movie Name: The Princess and the Frog
Genres: Fantasy; Romance Historical setting (New Orleans in the 1920's)
Link to info about her: http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Princess_Tiana#Personality
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Character's Name: Kayley
Media: Movie -- Animated (Warner Bros.)
Movie Name: The Quest for Camelot
Genres: Fantasy/Myth; Magic
Link to info about her: http://questforcamelot.wikia.com/wiki/Kayley
More about Kayley:

Character's Name: Princess Anastasia Romanov
Media: Movie -- Animated (Don Bluth/20th Century Fox)
Movie Name: Anastasia
Genres: Historical/Fantasy; Supernatural
Link to info about her: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anastasia_%281997_film%29
&
http://donbluth.wikia.com/wiki/Anastasia_%28character%29

More info:
windeen-windyApr 10, 2012 1:45 AM
Apr 9, 2012 11:17 PM
Sep 2010
soaring_wings said:
Armando said:

Good catch! I can't believe I forgot about her. ^__^;; I think Twilight Princess' Zelda also earns her keep (albeit, I do think OoT's Zelda is a bit more noble and strong). I'll add both. :)

Yeah, it has everything you need. I was surprised not to see her!
Apr 10, 2012 1:58 AM

Mar 2009
soaring_wings said:

She sounds great. I really like that bit about her conflict with doing the morally right choice and doing something to appease the villagers. The thing that stands out to me is her accepting the consequences of doing the morally right thing. Shall be added. :)

Yeah- that's what I liked about her character. She and Kisara were both really strong female characters and very fun to play with/as.
I was never allowed to have a game system so as a kid and could never actually justify a reason to buy one when it didn't seem important.
But I had an injury to my hand some years ago (About 3-4 years now) and I'm a fine artist- I was left unable to hold a paint brush or pen/pencil for any significant length of time- let alone control them to do what I use to. Last year it occurred to me that possibly the motions of using the controller of the system might help me gain control again- so I got the PS2 system and a half dozen games, and it worked.... I'm not back to where I was, but I'm working on it.
And as an aside, I found myself obsessed with Rogue Galaxy- I don't even care if I finish it most of the time- I just like walking around the world as Lila or Kisara- their extremely fun for me, but that might be that I'm still new to the systems ^^;

I'm really wishing they'd turn RG into an anime- a good one (A lot of Video Game turned animes I've seen aren't great IE.. Star Ocean >_>).
I think if they turned it into a 25-50 episode series it would do really well (Again- if they did it properly).
Anyway- I have another video game character from another game to suggest- I'll make up a post for her later.
Apr 13, 2012 9:16 AM

Sep 2007
windeen-windy said:
Princess Tiana (Disney)
Lady Kayley (Warrner Bros.)
Princess Anastasia (Don Bluth/20th Century Fox)

Info about each one below:

Character's Name: Princess Tiana
Media: Movie -- Animated (Disney)
Movie Name: The Princess and the Frog
Genres: Fantasy; Romance Historical setting (New Orleans in the 1920's)
Link to info about her: http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Princess_Tiana#Personality

Sounds great. Shall be added onto the master list. (Also I really need to watch this movie. I heard it's one of the best Princess Movies from Disney. If it's on Mulan's level, I'll love it.)

windeen-windy said:
Character's Name: Kayley
Media: Movie -- Animated (Warner Bros.)
Movie Name: The Quest for Camelot
Genres: Fantasy/Myth; Magic
Link to info about her: http://questforcamelot.wikia.com/wiki/Kayley
More about Kayley:

Sounds great as well. I really like the sound of their relationship. Shall be added as well~ :3

windeen-windy said:
Character's Name: Princess Anastasia Romanov
Media: Movie -- Animated (Don Bluth/20th Century Fox)
Movie Name: Anastasia
Genres: Historical/Fantasy; Supernatural
Link to info about her: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anastasia_%281997_film%29
&
http://donbluth.wikia.com/wiki/Anastasia_%28character%29

More info:

I've watched Anastasia and while I liked the movie. I never really saw anything noble in Anastasia. She was simply following after the dude who tells her she is a princess (forgot his name, starts with a D, I think?) He does most of the work and he's really the character that undergoes change. She's rather passive, just taking everything that comes her way and not really doing anything special. Also, I don't think picking her happiness is a noble thing (and her picking to run away with her lover as indirectly helping Russia isn't enough to warrant a listing I think). Picking the dude seemed like the easy road to me, so it's not really exceptional. Rejected for now.
Apr 14, 2012 12:55 AM

Mar 2009
soaring_wings said:

I've watched Anastasia and while I liked the movie. I never really saw anything noble in Anastasia. She was simply following after the dude who tells her she is a princess (forgot his name, starts with a D, I think?) He does most of the work and he's really the character that undergoes change. She's rather passive, just taking everything that comes her way and not really doing anything special. Also, I don't think picking her happiness is a noble thing (and her picking to run away with her lover as indirectly helping Russia isn't enough to warrant a listing I think). Picking the dude seemed like the easy road to me, so it's not really exceptional. Rejected for now.

lol ok, Yeah, I suppose your right- Though I saw her as fairly strong because she was able to take what she was dealing with so well. But I suppose it depends on how we perceive the characters ^_-
His name was Demetri.

soaring_wings said:

Sounds great as well. I really like the sound of their relationship. Shall be added as well~ :3

Yeah, This was a movie that I hadn't thought I'd like- the commercials for it when they were advertizing it had been kind of interesting- but also they seemed aimed at maybe 7 year olds.
So I rented it from Netflix- but didn't expect much from it. I found that while it wasn't stellar, I liked the characters a lot and it stayed with me... I like the movie even if some might think it's lacking. I found her to be a really strong character- and she was about equal with the knight- she wasn't helplessly looking for a savior. And at the time, it was a unique idea that a girl might want to be a knight (To me anyway). Though, not so much now.

soaring_wings said:

Sounds great. Shall be added onto the master list. (Also I really need to watch this movie. I heard it's one of the best Princess Movies from Disney. If it's on Mulan's level, I'll love it.)

This was another movie I hesitated to watch- because I've been disappointing with Disney's movies in the last 8 or so years. But yeah, I think it's fairly on par with Mulan.
Apr 14, 2012 9:28 AM

Sep 2007
windeen-windy said:
soaring_wings said:

lol ok, Yeah, I suppose your right- Though I saw her as fairly strong because she was able to take what she was dealing with so well. But I suppose it depends on how we perceive the characters ^_-
His name was Demetri.

Well she does have some emotional strength, that's true, but my qualms were more that she doesn't do anything to deem her noble. Like picking happiness can be noble in rare cases where it's seen as something denied repeatedly to the character out of some social cause (i.e. political marriage) and something she must strive to build with her own hands and just marrying someone her clan wants would be easier than picking her happiness. That's what I mean. :)

Tiana, for example, fits because she has a dream that's not easy to achieve, yet she sticks by it. Pulling her own weight. Likewise for Kayley (mother against it, goes out to prove herself).
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Additions to the Relations ( 1 2 3 )

soaring_wings - Sep 22, 2009

134 by RachelPanda »»
Mar 1, 2014 8:44 AM

» What are you reading?

soaring_wings - Apr 20, 2010

8 by soaring_wings »»
Sep 13, 2012 2:57 PM

» What are you watching?

soaring_wings - Apr 20, 2010

10 by soaring_wings »»
Aug 18, 2012 3:24 AM

» Heroine of the Month: Yuri (February)

soaring_wings - Feb 1, 2010

5 by soaring_wings »»
May 9, 2012 12:34 PM

Sticky: » The Boot

soaring_wings - Aug 11, 2009

7 by soaring_wings »»
Dec 12, 2010 9:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.