Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 20, 2010 2:18 PM

Sep 2007
A place to discuss manga you are currently reading or have read in the past. Tell us what you liked and why you think others should give it a chance. Also if there is a manga you didn't like, share your feelings here and tell others why you didn't like it.

There are no rule or anything just please be civil. :)
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 21, 2010 1:02 AM
Apr 2010
I am reading Hana No Asukagumi. It wasn't translated into English but I have got through it up to vol. 8 or so. I managed to find the whole series in London Soho for only £26 on my birthday^^ Op of accompanying TV series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p1k7qSwf4c

I guess translation-wise I'll recommend "Silent Mobius" by Kia Asamiya, Katsumi is cool. I can't wait to get the subtitled version of the motion pictures, the mangaka's early art style is better than his later style - what do you think? Any other Asamiya fans in here?
Jun 5, 2010 5:01 PM

Sep 2007
I finally got around to reading Flame of Recca. It was a recommendation from about a year ago when we added Fuuka, one of the main characters onto the relations. So far, I really like it. It's just kind of sad that Yanagi is your typical 'happy happy' but no thought in her head leading female (Fuuko makes up for her though xD). Seems like her only purpose in the story is to be Recca's love interest and the usual miss perfect and holy girl (no negative thoughts whatsoever, 1 dimensional character with no growth, but maybe she'll surprise me like Orihime, who knows).
Apr 2, 2012 11:29 AM

Sep 2007
Currently reading a few things:

~ Ice Revolution - This was recommended to me by Sakura_Rose and I'm glad she did because I'm really enjoying it. The moments where Misaki is mistaken for a boy were really funny (I'm somewhat of a sucker for gender-blender comedies xD ). There was one point in the manga I cringed at (basically graceful = feminine) and almost ruined it for me, but it seems the manga may steer clear of this as the last chapter I finished had Misaki abandoning mimicking graceful Saaya and doing her own karate skating moves.

~ Please Save My Earth - I'm slowly making my way through the volumes. I recently finished volume 14 and it was sooo good. I love how complex the characters are in this series and I love how intricate the past and present relationships are. Also the art is starting to get really good~ Recommended to anyone who likes shoujo!

~ Konjiki no Gash Bell!! - I started reading this after I finished and enjoyed the anime. It's probably one of my favourite battle manga so far. The fights don't drag at all and the story is really interesting. The cast is pretty varied and there is probably someone everyone will like. Again recommended. :) Oh I also love the demon designs. :3

~ Shin Angyo Onshi - I've been reading this one for a while. Mainly because I keep reading it off and on. It's still good, but it has it's slow down moments (which is why it's taking me so long). None of the female characters stand out, unforunately. Like Sando is super strong (one of the strongest characters in the manga), but emotionally she is so underdeveloped that she comes off more as a child in a woman's body and I do not like these kinds of characters. :/ Munsu and Aji Tae are the life of this manga and I really like both. :)

~ Flame of Recca - Still reading this as well. I really want to like it, but the manga kind of ruined itself by revealing all the important secrets so fast. Right now there are no mysteries to keep me reading and while some of the characters are pretty cool, most of those don't get much panel time. Also, fights are ok. Still keeping with it in hopes that these past few chapters were just a slow down and it gets better.

edit: Recently also caught up with Skip Beat and I love it~ I love Kyoko. She is so multi-dimensional. It's so much fun watching her interact and act. Definitely agree that she earns her keep here. She starts out rather ignoble by wanting revenge on Shou, but she eventually wants to act for the love of acting. Her acceptance and happiness at people hating Mio, was the point that made me really love her. My one problem is how scared of love she is.
soaring_wingsApr 2, 2012 11:42 AM
Apr 2, 2012 6:11 PM

Mar 2009
I'm currently reading the Sailor Moon Manga- they (And Sailor V- which I finished reading in january) are being re-released with new English transliterations ^^
Apr 3, 2012 7:01 AM

Sep 2007
windeen-windy said:
I'm currently reading the Sailor Moon Manga- they (And Sailor V- which I finished reading in january) are being re-released with new English transliterations ^^

How do you like the Moon manga? I've got the old copies of Tokyopop, but I want to pick up the newer versions as well. :)
Apr 3, 2012 4:08 PM

Mar 2009
I really love it. I loved the anime for other reasons, I found the anime at a very dark time in my life and it really helped me out of some (serious) depression as a kid.

I was amazed at how different the manga seemed from the anime, but it's not different enough to feel different for me, but I love them both now, I was never able to get my hands on them before now.
I was thrilled when I saw them on Amazon- then put them on my Christmas list. My mom knows I love SM so she got me the first 2 of SM and both of SV books.

So far, 4 books have been re-released, their re-translating them, and compressing them (to 12 volumes from 18 I think- they compressed Sailor V into 2 volumes instead of 3)- I think the 5th SM vol. comes out in May (If I'm remembering right).... I wish they'd at least release once a month instead of every few months.

But yeah, I really love them. From what I can tell from what I've seen others saying that the first translations released years ago were bad and they either used the name "Bunny" or "Serena" for Usagi instead of "Usagi" I don't know if that was Tokyopop or not though. They also have translators notes in the end of the books that are a bit interesting ^^;
Apr 4, 2012 10:51 AM

Sep 2007
windeen-windy said:
I really love it. I loved the anime for other reasons, I found the anime at a very dark time in my life and it really helped me out of some (serious) depression as a kid.

I was amazed at how different the manga seemed from the anime, but it's not different enough to feel different for me, but I love them both now, I was never able to get my hands on them before now.
I was thrilled when I saw them on Amazon- then put them on my Christmas list. My mom knows I love SM so she got me the first 2 of SM and both of SV books.

I'm glad you also like it~ I'm a big fan of the manga. :3 (Anime is good too and I've been rewatching it in Japanese and I'm liking it more now...still I prefer the manga because the characters are much more mature). I also like that they are different because you get to see a different story when you read or watch it and makes it worthwhile to try both the manga and anime.

windeen-windy said:
So far, 4 books have been re-released, their re-translating them, and compressing them (to 12 volumes from 18 I think- they compressed Sailor V into 2 volumes instead of 3)- I think the 5th SM vol. comes out in May (If I'm remembering right).... I wish they'd at least release once a month instead of every few months.

Ah, then Kodacha is going for the same format they did when they re-released the books in Japan last time (also in 12 volumes instead of the original 18). I'm happy to hear that because it will make rebuying the books easier on my wallet. xD Also, I've noticed a lot of publishers are compressing smaller releases into less volumes lately. Like Yen Press is releasing the 2 volume Olimpus as a single volume and Vertical's reprint of Ode to Kirihito is now 1 volume instead of two. Dark Horse also re-released CCS and Rayearth in bundle packs (the original 12 CCS volumes into 4 and Rayearth into 2 volumes). I wonder if the diminished attach rate is the reason (basically the more volumes you have, the less each subsequent volume sells).

windeen-windy said:
But yeah, I really love them. From what I can tell from what I've seen others saying that the first translations released years ago were bad and they either used the name "Bunny" or "Serena" for Usagi instead of "Usagi" I don't know if that was Tokyopop or not though. They also have translators notes in the end of the books that are a bit interesting ^^;

It was indeed Tokyopop. They called her Serena once at the very start of the manga and then referred to her as Bunny (or Buns for Mamoru's nickname Usako). The rest of the cast kept their English localization names, so Makoto was Lita, Minako was Mina, Mamoru was Darien, ect. The outer senshi have their original names intact (because the manga was released before the latter arcs of the anime were dubbed). Chibi-Usa is Rini though but Chibi-Chibi is the same.
Sep 13, 2012 2:57 PM

Sep 2007
I've been reading quite a bit lately, so big update from me:

I marathoned Tokyo Crazy Paradise last week and I loved every minute of it. Tsukasa really earns her place here in the club: a strong sense of justice and very committed to doing what she's decided. I also really liked the main couple too (well outside how pervy Ryuuji was...even though it was kind of funny the first few times) because they really felt like partners protecting each other. Story was really addicting. Just a shame the ending didn't quite feel so conclusive. I wish Ms.Nakamura had kept the story going for another volume or two.
Anyways, barring that disappointment, I really enjoyed the story and do recommend it to club members because Tsukasa is both strong willed and noble~

Also finally finished Please Save My Earth. Since I was collecting the volumes, it's taken me awhile, but I'm so glad I picked them up because the story was really good. It's not one of my all time favourites (cause of what goes down in volume 19), but I still really enjoyed it overall and it is definitely one of the better manga out there. Now I just have to wait around for volume 13 to become affordable. It's the only volume I'm missing. ;___; Also recommend this one to everyone! Alice is a bit on the meek side, but she's got a bit of inner strength (perhaps not enough to get into this club) and is very noble. What I personally liked about her was how human she was. In fact, all the characters are so well developed and that's what makes PSME so good~

I also went ahead and read the spin-off of PSME, Guusen ga Nokosu Mono. Not as good as the original, but that's to be expected since it's only a single volume and only has two side stories plus another unrelated work. I did like that it sort of answered what happened to Mikuro at the end of PSME. The epilogue of PSME was pretty vague and Ms.Hiwatari mentions it's that way on purpose because Mikuro is suppose to be the star of another story, which made me pretty curious. His two piece one-shot definitely explains a few things, but it still doesn't give us the whole story, so I hope that Ms.Hiwatari will write it one day because what little I saw in this one shot was pretty interesting.
The other story was also interesting albeit it was a bit too short to really get attached to the new characters in it. The random one shot was pretty meh though. This collection could really have done without it. Especially since it didn't really fit with the two other ones, which were more sombre.

Also started reading Chicago now that I am done with PSME. It's my final Yumi Tamura series that I need to read in English. I've only read the first volume so far, but I love it. The female heroine is great (tough yet still vulnerable) and the story is pretty interesting. Excited to see how everything ties together in the final volume.

I also ended up dropping Id. I just couldn't get into it. The fights weren't that interesting (and dragged!) and outside of Id, the rest of the cast is pretty bland. Id is interesting, but he's too much of a Marty Stu. And I really hated how the two female companions just stood around doing nothing. They were seriously there for no reason but to look pretty and that plus the continued boring story made me drop it after 38 chapters.

I also managed to finish Jio to Ougon to Kinjirareta Mahou since the final few chapters were now up. I've got mixed feelings about this one. I didn't really like the abrupt generation shift and there wasn't enough chapters with the new protagonist to really make me get attached to him like I did with Jio, so that ended up hurting my enjoyment. Not to mention everything was sort of just told to us in the final chapter and a few mysteries weren't actually address:
Not to mention we didn't really get to see what happened to the other people travelling with Jio. It just ended too fast. Still I did like it even with the short comings, but it's more good than great.

Finally I've also finished Ryuguden, which was definitely weird (like the summary suggested), but I still enjoyed it as well.
The twist on the Japanese folktale was also neat and in the end, I'm not sure what I think of this manga yet. I mean, so many ways you could interpret it because there is so much going on. It was at least an interesting experience.

As for currently reading, I've read two chapters (one story) from Urasawa's short story collection, NASA. Since I've only read one story, I don't really have any feelings about it yet. The first story was pretty average. Hope the others are better. I've also gone back to Limited Lovers again and hope to finish it soon. I'm torn about this one because on the one hand, I really want to like this manga as Karin does have genuine growth and does fit our club, but on the other hand, I am really disappointed with how the relationship was handled.

Whew, and that's that!
soaring_wingsSep 13, 2012 3:08 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Additions to the Relations ( 1 2 3 )

soaring_wings - Sep 22, 2009

134 by RachelPanda »»
Mar 1, 2014 8:44 AM

» What are you watching?

soaring_wings - Apr 20, 2010

10 by soaring_wings »»
Aug 18, 2012 3:24 AM

» Heroine of the Month: Yuri (February)

soaring_wings - Feb 1, 2010

5 by soaring_wings »»
May 9, 2012 12:34 PM

» Noble Heroines in Other Forms of Media

soaring_wings - Jan 30, 2010

48 by soaring_wings »»
Apr 14, 2012 9:28 AM

Sticky: » The Boot

soaring_wings - Aug 11, 2009

7 by soaring_wings »»
Dec 12, 2010 9:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.