Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Do you like this show?
Aug 23, 2016 1:35 PM

Aug 2015
To me, this series just seems like a ridiculous mess; It offends at every turn and it is very over the top. Despite this, I've never seen anything negative said about it.

I've heard things about how the plot is masterful, and how it's very intelligent, but I don't see it. Sure, there are many plot twists, but they were all pretty predictable...
Can you all tell me your reasons for liking the show, or if you don't like it feel free to admit that here. I simply want to know what it is about this show.

I'd especially like to hear the opinion of somebody who hasn't played the games.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 23, 2016 1:42 PM
Jul 2013
TeruKonato said:
To me, this series just seems like a ridiculous mess; It offends at every turn and it is very over the top. Despite this, I've never seen anything negative said about it.

I've heard things about how the plot is masterful, and how it's very intelligent, but I don't see it. Sure, there are many plot twists, but they were all pretty predictable...
Can you all tell me your reasons for liking the show, or if you don't like it feel free to admit that here. I simply want to know what it is about this show.

I'd especially like to hear the opinion of somebody who hasn't played the games.

I'd say its popular for the same reason JoJo is.

Danganronpa has a very zany atmosphere that's played up completely straight and is genre savvy as hell. Additionally, usual stereotypes and cliches are fluidly subverted and the story is supplemented with a colorful cast.

Despair arc has been very on/off (mostly off) in quality but Future has been more or less on-point, the FF directors consisting of some individuals with questionable intelligence aside.
GilgameshAug 23, 2016 1:47 PM
Aug 23, 2016 1:53 PM

Jul 2010
Predictable? You can't know if you really predicted it until everything ends. This is Danganronpa. Nothing is predictable. If someone says they predicted who is going to die, who is the killer, what is the bigger picture etc, they are lying blatantly. This is your answer assuming you played the games.

If you didn't play the games, I ask you, why are you watching this?
Aug 23, 2016 2:02 PM
Apr 2016
SirKurt said:

Yeah. I mean, if you want to jump into the anime without having played the games, have seen playthroughs of it, or watched the DR1 anime/'manga and read the DR2 manga to know the plot of the games, then that's fine, but if you do so without doing so, then you will very likely be confused and unentertained. It's completely recommended to do that before watching either of the two anime, since these are the ones that are ending what has been going on in the games.

l1_ said:
Maybe Its a show that only hardcore Danganronpa fans understand.

What do you mean hardcore? Kodaka said from the beginning before the shows have been aired that the shows are for ending what has been happening around the games, so if you never played the games or have seen playthroughs of it or whatever to know what has been going on (I suppose that is what you deem as being "hardcore"), then this very likely was never meant for you. Not trying to be rude or anything.
MareepYayAug 23, 2016 2:10 PM
Aug 23, 2016 2:25 PM

Aug 2015
Beth_Masey said:
SirKurt said:

Yeah. I mean, if you want to jump into the anime without having played the games, have seen playthroughs of it, or watched the DR1 anime/'manga and read the DR2 manga to know the plot of the games, then that's fine, but if you do so without doing so, then you will very likely be confused and unentertained. It's completely recommended to do that before watching either of the two anime, since these are the ones that are ending what has been going on in the games.
Both Kurt and Beth, I have not played the games and the show isn't confusing at all; I simply don't get why people enjoy it...
Aug 23, 2016 2:41 PM

Aug 2013
TeruKonato said:
I simply don't get why people enjoy it...

I enjoy it because I played DR games and like finding out more about the characters and their backstory.

That being said I would not recommend it to someone who has not played or liked the games like you so don't watch it because it's made for fans of the games.
Aug 23, 2016 2:41 PM
Apr 2016
TeruKonato said:
Beth_Masey said:

Both Kurt and Beth, I have not played the games and the show isn't confusing at all; I simply don't get why people enjoy it...

You never played the games or watched the DR1 anime or read the DR1 manga and read the DR2 and Another Episode manga? It's highly recommended, else you'll likely not enjoy.

I don't know what you mean by messy (unless that's part of what you meant by you not liking how over-the-top it is), but you said that you didn't like how over-the-top it is, which is what DR has always been, which are some reasons as to why people like it. The over-the-top-ness, craziness, silliness, and the like are purposely exaggerated forms of common anime tropes and personalities while working with an unpredictable plot. Not saying that people have to like or give them a pass because of that, but I'm just saying if you didn't already know that.

While the characters, especially certain ones, are very entertaining to many people, I mostly stick with it due to the plot. I wouldn't call it masterful or the like (I've never seen anyone call it that before), but it's interesting enough to me to stick with it, and I can speak the same for many others.

I wouldn't call the plot twists really predictable. I mean, like Kurt says, what is predicted is actually not really the case often in the series (like the mastermind behind DR1, as a great example). I never would have predicted the adorable black afro man to die so soon (and in such a way) and for the chairman to be killed off by Munakata.
MareepYayAug 23, 2016 2:45 PM
Aug 23, 2016 3:06 PM

Aug 2015
Fayt89 said:
I would not recommend it to someone who has not played or liked the games like you so don't watch it because it's made for fans of the games.
*upupupu* The fandom must stay pure, is that it?
Aug 23, 2016 3:34 PM

Oct 2015
Download the games from Steam, play them, read the novels, grow with the characters, entertain the whacky world and its semi-superhumans and you will see why people love this anime.

Not everything has to be the colossal Attack on Titan, Re:Zero and Kabaneri blockbuster anime of the season for people to adore it. As someone mentioned it has the same flare and charm that Jojo's Bizzare Adventure. Whacky but immersive. I adore this anime, the games, the universe and its characters and judging by its rating and the popularity of it so do a lot of people.
Aug 23, 2016 4:00 PM

Feb 2010
I don't really see people calling the plot masterful or anything.

The games are good and these (both this and despair) are decent sequels to them, that's all there's to it.
Aug 23, 2016 4:05 PM

Jul 2013
TeruKonato said:
Beth_Masey said:

If you wanna know why people like this show it's because the vast majority of the people watching are those who have played the games and possess a thorough understanding of the whole series and its characters. If you're hopping on board just for Danganronpa 3 it's only natural you're not going to find it as enjoyable as most of the viewers. While this show has its own independent story a lot of the major plot points so far are weaving in points from other games in the series. Right now you're basically playing Kingdom Hearts 2 while having no experience with the original Kingdom Hearts.
Aug 23, 2016 4:42 PM

Mar 2012
What Chanaynay said. You haven't played the first 2 games. You're not emotional invested to the characters and story. You didn't feel how high the stakes were for these characters. Of course you won't enjoy it.

There you got your answer. Now stop portraying us like some blind hardcore fans.
Aug 23, 2016 5:40 PM

Apr 2014
TheLaw said:
What Chanaynay said. You haven't played the first 2 games. You're not emotional invested to the characters and story. You didn't feel how high the stakes were for these characters. Of course you won't enjoy it.

There you got your answer. Now stop portraying us like some blind hardcore fans.

^

All of this. While most of the plot is understandable without having played either DR1 or DR2, even UDG, it's meant to use your expectations from the franchise, your love and understanding of the characters, etc., to build up to something more. It's not meant to make you love characters you should have already fallen in love with in past media. That would be redundant.

With the exception of Chiaki, I guess.

While I'm personally enjoying Future Arc more, Despair Arc is by no means weak. Future Arc has the advantage of a cast made up of mostly anime-only characters, too, so what you know about them is the same as even the most "hardcore" of """hardcore""" fans. Despair Arc relies far more on the assumption of past DR2 knowledge.
Aug 23, 2016 6:08 PM

Apr 2012
As the title of Danganronpa 3 indicate, this is meant to be watched after playing the first two Danganronpa games (as well as the spinoff Another Episode, and perhaps side materials as well). Future Arc is the final saga where everything comes to a definitive end, while Despair Arc is a prequel showing character backstories. They both assume you already know and love the characters from spending 40-60+ hours playing the games, so of course the shows won't make much sense if you're not already heavily invested in the storyline and characters.

Sure it's understandable without them technically, but it's easy to see why you'd have trouble caring in Future or find Despair utterly boring if you weren't already looking forward to seeing these parts of the characters' lives. It's like starting with the final volume of Harry Potter during the climatic final battle and complaining you don't really care about all these characters being thrust on you and dying.
Aug 23, 2016 6:09 PM

Oct 2008
Danganronpa 3, is really just an add-on to close off loose ends for the 3 games. Without actually playing the games and knowing the characters, the show would still make sense but it's somewhat meaningless to people just hopping on the bandwagon.

People like to see how their favorite, and not-so-favorite characters have grown, what happened to them, etc.

All of the games have very open ended endings, so this is basically to answer the remaining questions for fans of the series.
Aug 23, 2016 7:02 PM

Aug 2015
TheLaw said:

Blind hardcore fans? I've never said, not implied anything of the sort. Please don't draw your conclusions from others' responses.

IchigoMayo said:
Danganronpa 3, is really just an add-on to close off loose ends for the 3 games. Without actually playing the games and knowing the characters, the show would still make sense but it's somewhat meaningless to people just hopping on the bandwagon.

People like to see how their favorite, and not-so-favorite characters have grown, what happened to them, etc.

All of the games have very open ended endings, so this is basically to answer the remaining questions for fans of the series.
Thank you. I really appreciate an answer that doesn't read between the lines as "Because it's good. Don't watch it if you don't like it you asshole."
TeruKonatoAug 23, 2016 7:57 PM
Aug 23, 2016 7:08 PM

Feb 2013
Like with Jojo,DR is 100 % dumb fun
Also,you shouldn't be watching these shows without playing the games.It was said a lot time ago that it was only for fans of the game.
You only watch the shitty rushed adaptaion of the first game and you're not emotional invested to the characters and story
Aug 24, 2016 1:44 AM
Mar 2013
I don't think it would be enjoyable for someone who has not played all of the Danganronpa games. The plot however is very interesting and the series as a whole has strong, likable characters. The anime retains the core mystery of the Danganronpa games and expands upon questions that weren't answered. The first season of the anime was a mediocre adaptation, but DR3 is blowing me away with its quality.
Aug 24, 2016 6:50 AM
Mar 2012
Enjoyment of this show is incredibly dependent on having played (and appreciated) the previous three games. Reading DR Zero doesn't hurt, either. It's not really designed to be accessible for non-DR fans.

For example, you say "It offends at every turn and it is very over the top" like those are bad things, but the heightened sense of action and dark, unusual subject matter are part of the series charms. It's not bad, it's just Danganronpa.
RalizahAug 24, 2016 7:45 AM
Aug 24, 2016 11:00 AM
Dec 2015
Guess that two main things I like about this show is characters (each of them is really unique and well-made one, with own talent, behaviour, thoughts and motives) and outstanding plot, with both unpredictable twists and detetive elements, which always gives a huge space for analysis, predictions and speculations.
Aug 24, 2016 12:35 PM
Jul 2016
I honestly can't imagine getting much out of the anime without first playing the games. That's like reading/watching The Return of the King before one has read/watched the rest of LotR, or like only watching the last ten episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist. Of course one is not going to get the same thing out of it as the people who have followed the story up until this point.

Anyway, reasons I like the Danganronpa franchise in general:

1) First and foremost, the bat-guano crazy sense of humor. It's not as evident in the future arc because Monokuma isn't playing as active of a role, but this series is completely BONKERS. I still remember Monokuma charging in with a machine gun when he thought someone was about to commit a littering violation. That's to say nothing of the ludicrous things to come out of the mouths of characters like Gundham, Toko, Hina, and Nagito.

"What am I doing? Playing Russian Roulette, obviously!" - Nagito, DR2

2) The mystery. In the first two games, the main gameplay hook was using your wits to investigate crime scenes, then determine who killed each victim of Monokuma's death game. The designers did a FANTASTIC job of making this engaging, and the thrill of finally piecing together the culprit's identity was something I relished... even in those few trials where it was pretty obvious who did it from the beginning (looking at you, Leon.)

This was always combined with the presence of a bigger, all-encompassing mystery that was revealed bit by bit. Just when you thought you had an idea of what was going on, the game completely blindsided you with something you weren't expecting.

3) The characters/emotions. Danganronpa has been one of those rare gems to, despite having a ton of characters, develop almost all of them quite well and only produce a handful that I hate. Getting attached to characters, watching their stress in the death games, watching them befriend and suspect each other, watching them struggle against Monokuma's machinations...

And then, inevitably, watching one of your favorites die. Ah, the emotional roller coaster that I've come to love and hate... RIP Celestia Ludenberg...

Now, I enjoy the Despair arc of DR3 because of all of these reasons, but mainly 1 and 3. The humor has been (at times morbidly) amusing, particularly since Junko showed up. Additionally, seeing some of my favorite characters from the games and learning about their backstories is great. And then we get to see the events that led to the downfall of Class 77 and Hope's Peak... I (mostly) know what's going to happen, but I'm fascinated to see how it happens. I'm also holding out a tiny thread of hope that Chiaki lives this time around.

As for the future arc, I'll admit it lacks a bit of the sense of humor of the first two games. Still, getting to know the new characters, watching the underlying mystery unfold, and finding out more about what happens to my old favorites is more than enough to keep me going.

Anyway, while we're on the topic...
TeruKonato said:
It offends at every turn

I'm curious about what exactly it is that is offending you. (I'm not trying to sound dismissive/mocking; I'm just genuinely curious.)
PhendrusAug 24, 2016 1:52 PM
Important Note: I no longer - in any way, shape, or form - consider myself a moral nihilist (even in my old, convoluted definition of the term). I very much do believe there is such a thing as objective good and evil. In addition, I apologize for any of the posts I've made that are rude, aggressive, or otherwise unbecoming.

I've always striven to walk a path befitting a follower of Christ, and now recognize some of my old comments here as misguided if not outright wrong. If you happen upon them, pray do not let them darken your view of the God I serve. He is kind, even if I, at times, have not been.
Aug 24, 2016 3:04 PM

Mar 2015
I hated it at first, then liked it. I hated it because it killed characters I liked, but then I liked it for actually managing to NOT be predictable and appreciated how it masterfully DESTROYS tropes. Let's just say Sayaka was a huge shock for me. Now I'm playing all 3 games and watching the 3 anime.

I like it because it is so damn brutal yet STILL manages to make me laugh, get sad, feel for the characters, etc. Takes a lot to do that to me after so many haven't done that in a while.

Short answer- it's immersive and unpredictable.
Aug 24, 2016 5:31 PM

Mar 2015
Simply put, you won't get the hype for it if you haven't played (at least) through DR1 and SDR2

This series is explicitly made for the fans
Aug 24, 2016 8:13 PM
Jan 2015
TeruKonato said:
Fayt89 said:
I would not recommend it to someone who has not played or liked the games like you so don't watch it because it's made for fans of the games.

Umm no, you will not even get 1/5th of the enjoyment or understanding if you haven't played the games, it's vital for this anime. We aren't just saying that to feel superior.

p.s About plot twists, if the animes are anything like the games, expect a huge plot twist you are unlikely to predict at some point towards the end.
Aug 24, 2016 9:04 PM

Aug 2008
It because the anime is created for people who have play the game. I don't play the game but I read the spoiler for Danganronpa 2 in wikia and watch Another Episode walkthrough in youtube with some skipping here and there.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Aug 25, 2016 4:17 PM

Jan 2009
Well the second game is pure genius, the rest of the franchise is not even close to being as good, so unless you've played the game (or watched it on Youtube like I did) you'll probably never understand why this franchise is so popular.
As for Mirai-hen I;m having mixed feelings about it, it is kind of a mess so far and it's rushed, I think they should've focused on the new cast and survival game instead of bringing back old characters and advertising for the Ultra Despair Girls game.
Aug 26, 2016 9:35 PM

Jul 2013
Flevalt said:
In this anime, however, the main cast is already known from the beginning and you know that they won't die (Makoto, Aoi, Kyoko).

Okay let's not jinx anything now. I'm staying vigilant on this until Aoi makes it out of this anime alive and safe.
Aug 26, 2016 10:13 PM

Sep 2012
the creators said that this was mainly for existing dangan ronpa fans to give them closure and to thank them for being a fan of the show... compared to the dangan ronpa:animation which was to draw new people into the series.

i like it because i was always wondering what really happened after drae/sdr2. this seems like a quicker and possibly cheaper? alternative to a dr3 game or something.

i really have to see how it all wraps up though. i hope it has a good and satisfying ending. if it doesn't, my opinion of it might change?? for me, i just love learning more about the school, its functions, and new members of the killing game introduced. in the despair arc, i appreciate the references to dr0 and stuff like that. it's nice seeing the old characters from sdr2/survivors from dr1.
Aug 26, 2016 10:15 PM

Sep 2009
It's not meant to be gotten. Because it's the 3rd installment of something that skipped the 2nd part, at least in anime.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Aug 27, 2016 1:12 AM

Jan 2016
One of my most favorite anime of all time. First time watching this, (Danganronpa 1) i thought its gonna be boring because I'm not a fan of those class trials thing but turns out it is very interesting. Been a fan ever since. Love the characters too
Aug 27, 2016 3:12 AM

Jul 2014
Flevalt said:
main characters who are being doubted on ridiculous levels for trivial reasons despite everyone having watched them during the live broadcast.

You know they're being doubted for protecting the remnants of despair, right?

The people who participated in ending the world... right?
"Hi!"
Aug 27, 2016 3:38 AM

Feb 2013
It's interesting, even though I don't understand many things about it because I've never played any game and I don't intend to.
I'm just watching it because I always watch the sequels of stuff I've watched, it doesn't matter if I liked it or not.
The characters are cool, some are crazy, some aren't.
I don't know what to say about the plot, it's interesting, nothing more.
I don't see nothing intelligent in the anime to be honest, some super smart kids are always made to kill each other by some stupid reasoning.
Aug 27, 2016 3:46 AM

Jan 2013
TeruKonato said:
Fayt89 said:

Look mate, you're literally Danganronpa THREE. It's the conclusion to a story. You're not enjoying it because these shows are filled to the brim with fanservice and references to the greater DR franchise, and without the context of the other stories it's pointless watching these.

Plus, for someone with such a vast repertoire of anime as yourself, you're not in the hugest position to be critiquing things too hard.
Please check my music out on SoundCloud! There's something for everyone.

Aug 27, 2016 12:38 PM

Jun 2009
I enjoy watching the madness. I understand if you do not. For me, it is like spending time with your favourite characters. The cast of class 77 is special to me. I enjoy them, also seeing Monaka animated was a joy. So I think that people watch it for different reasons. One of the main reasons is that this is the final bow for these characters. When you lived with them through three games, four novels, one anime, you become invested in them, and you want to see their final bow. This anime is just like the games it is random and wonky and weird. But I feels like Danganronpa. So I am excited to see how it ends.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Aug 27, 2016 1:04 PM

Feb 2013

>main characters who are being doubted on ridiculous levels for trivial reasons despite everyone having watched them during the live broadcast.
They saved the guys that destroy the world, Of course they are going to doubt about them

>But here you know after the first 2 Episodes who is gonna be the last ones to face off against each other, obviously Kyoko, Makoto and Aoi, the white-haired hope-fanatic, the black-haired bloodthristy faggot and the self-personification of the Danganronpa dev-team who programmed Usami.
Maiya is already dead and you have to be dumb if you think that Munakata or Juzo are surviving this after the last two EPs.
And at least one survivor of DR1 is going to die.
Aug 27, 2016 3:04 PM
Aug 2016
Flevalt said:
Storywise and characterwise this anime is pretty bad and filled with clichee bullshit to no end.
So if you compare this - as an anime - to other anime, it fucking sucks.

The two main Danganronpa games released for PC were rather over-the-top and ridiculous already, but they managed to pull it off in a way that you still cared about what's going on nevertheless.
- You were hardly able to take anything in the story serious with lots of intended light-hearted humor like the ever-long repetitions of one-word-chains or exaggerated sentences like "the biggest, most awful, most tragic" etc. or the oversimplistic antagonistic relationship of the Hope vs Despair sides who are being thrown around as words a ton at every possible time.
- The stereotype characters were pumped full with personality to make them interesting at the cost of losing credibility and authenticity.
All for the sake of creating a humorous, quite relaxing game environment where you would get motivated to seek out the characters, get to know about them and prepare for class trial after trial, excited to see who is gonna be up next, how the killing is gonna go and how the punishment will look.
And despite most of the characters being incredibly stupidly designed from a story perspective, they were still interesting as individuals to interact with within the game.

In this anime, however, the main cast is already known from the beginning and you know that they won't die (Makoto, Aoi, Kyoko).
One character acts more stupid than the next. There are 2 obviously evil/violent persons out for blood within what's supposed to be the future foundation, which apparently seems to be just a sorry excuse for the Hope side, then there is a guy who takes the protective role for the main characters who are being doubted on ridiculous levels for trivial reasons despite everyone having watched them during the live broadcast. SURPRISE, the protective guy dies first! Who woulda guessed. If you didn't see that one coming, holy shit are you fucking braindead, sorry but that's just beyond stupid.

Then there are characters where just by looking at them it becomes obvious that they are side-characters supposed to be finished off quickly or at least never going to play an important role, see afro guy talking with a kid-voice, see girl transforming into a beast via drugs, see other irrelevant girl throwing kunais.
Danganronpa 2 had some similar bullshit characters but it still held it to a minimum and didn't let the killing game suffer in points of interest because of them. But here you know after the first 2 Episodes who is gonna be the last ones to face off against each other, obviously Kyoko, Makoto and Aoi, the white-haired hope-fanatic, the black-haired bloodthristy faggot and the self-personification of the Danganronpa dev-team who programmed Usami.

The anime is too busy letting characters try to catch danganronpa fan's attention by shouting something nostalgic even if it's completely senseless than to actually insert anything of value or interest anywhere.
The only reason the anime is still barely able to be below average as a whole is because it continues the story from Danganronpa 2 and you actually get to see some glimpse of these old characters when they were still remnants of despair. That's all the anime amounts to, as it seems.

I think that the things you say are almost completely true, but still I just think that you are trying to enjoy the series in the wrong way. I think danganronpa is worth watching, because it´s unpredictable, but not in a way as another anime. Danganronpa has many twists, but it´s still providing you with enough clues to figure them out. When I beginned playing the first game I really enjoyed it, but still found it lacking. The part that is most enjoyable is predicting who the killer is , and how did he do it. It´s just my personal view, but I think that the class trials made it too easy, so I was solving the cases with only the clues prior to the class trial, and only done the class trial to check out if I was right. For me, solving the murders like this is the true magic of the game.

If you just treat the Future Arc as the danganronpa game and try solving it that way I don´t think you will find Danganronpa 3 lacking. Although the Despair Arc isn´t the same, I think there is enough if you enjoy the plot, and use some of its parts as clues to Future Arc.
Aug 27, 2016 7:30 PM

Aug 2015
grymdylan said:
TeruKonato said:

Look mate, you're literally Danganronpa THREE. It's the conclusion to a story. You're not enjoying it because these shows are filled to the brim with fanservice and references to the greater DR franchise, and without the context of the other stories it's pointless watching these.

Plus, for someone with such a vast repertoire of anime as yourself, you're not in the hugest position to be critiquing things too hard.
Look mate, several people seem to be latching onto this comment as if it means something. Besides the fact that it was a stupid joke, you failed to grasp the undercurrent of the original comment. Additionally, I've already got a my fair share of opinions identical to yours being thrown my way. Don't be a two-bit mob thinking your opinion particularly matters in this situation. As for why I chose to respond to this one, specifically? Boredom, probably... :/

You've given me a pretty good laugh here, though (^^)b
Why would you presume to judge me and my vast repertoire of anime as if you actually know how much I've seen? (More than you, believe it or not)
Clearly I'm not a native user to the site, so I'm of no need to actually fill out my list.
TeruKonatoAug 27, 2016 7:42 PM
Aug 28, 2016 1:51 PM

Apr 2014
I would say the exact same thing if I have been watching the third entry of a series when I have no prior knowledge of the previous entries. Pointless thread, honestly. Watch Bakumans third season without watching the previous entries. You'll be asking the exact same questions. Really, really pointless thread.
Aug 28, 2016 4:16 PM

Aug 2015
Rukoudiora said:
I would say the exact same thing if I have been watching the third entry of a series when I have no prior knowledge of the previous entries. Pointless thread, honestly. Watch Bakumans third season without watching the previous entries. You'll be asking the exact same questions. Really, really pointless thread.
I mean, I've seen the first anime series... Besides, it really isn't hard to figure out what's going on. If anything, the only real problem with it is what everybody else has been saying; you don't get the same emotional fulfillment. EDIT: I need to stress that this is simply how it is for me. Other viewers might be bad at figuring things out, idk.

I simply wanted to hear opinions. But yeah, it was kind of pointless to make.
TeruKonatoAug 28, 2016 4:21 PM
Aug 28, 2016 4:31 PM

Apr 2014
TeruKonato said:
Rukoudiora said:
I mean, I've seen the first anime series... Besides, it really isn't hard to figure out what's going on. If anything, the only real problem with it is what everybody else has been saying; you don't get the same emotional fulfillment. EDIT: I need to stress that this is simply how it is for me. Other viewers might be bad at figuring things out, idk.

Oh, I took your posts as you haven't seen a thing, but I see. Also, don't worry it's easy to figure out what's going on, but as the common thing in Danganronpa the major twists happen late in the game so I'm sure that will be hard, if you get what I mean. Why would you view this as a ridiculous mess firstly?
Aug 28, 2016 4:38 PM

Mar 2013
As a counter, I've never played the games before and I enjoyed the first season of DR. I'm watching Despair Arc, but I've only seen the first two three so far. It seems good, too. It's not like it's hard to pick up on the plot or anything, you know? I can get into the shows. I'll probably play the games eventually.
Have you ever heard a death rattle before? Do you think it'll live up to its name? Or will it just be a death...hairball?
Aug 28, 2016 4:52 PM

Aug 2015
Rukoudiora said:
TeruKonato said:

Oh, I took your posts as you haven't seen a thing, but I see. Also, don't worry it's easy to figure out what's going on, but as the common thing in Danganronpa the major twists happen late in the game so I'm sure that will be hard, if you get what I mean. Why would you view this as a ridiculous mess firstly?

I guess I need to revise my initial statement... I think it's a very well thought out series. Along with its razor sharp plot twists, it employs an incredible array of stereotypes designed to break their role while adhering decisively. It reminds me of Chaos Theory. Despite it's apparent messiness, everything is actually firmly in a predetermined place.
It's embarrassing to admit it, but I claimed otherwise because I was in a fit over the episode I'd just watched.

I simply don't like it because of how over the top it is. Its stereotypes can offend greatly, regardless of their intent to topple the role. It's a very shameless series, in my opinion.
TeruKonatoAug 28, 2016 4:59 PM
Aug 28, 2016 4:55 PM

Feb 2013
sushienabler said:
As a counter, I've never played the games before and I enjoyed the first season of DR. I'm watching Despair Arc, but I've only seen the first two three so far. It seems good, too. It's not like it's hard to pick up on the plot or anything, you know? I can get into the shows. I'll probably play the games eventually.

You shouldn't watch Despair arc if you want to play DR2.
That arc is a prequel with the characters from DR2 and will spoil you all the twist in the game,So play the game or watch a Lets play first.
Aug 28, 2016 4:57 PM

Jun 2016
I think most people can agree that the anime is trash, compared to the game.

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Aug 28, 2016 4:59 PM

Feb 2013
Selenium_Thorium said:
I think most people can agree that the anime is trash, compared to the game.

If you are talking about the first anime,then yes.
DR3 is fine.
Aug 28, 2016 10:27 PM
Aug 2016
The only mistake danganronpa has made is that it doesn't cater for those who haven't played the games. That being said, I loved the anime so much that I bought a vita and all the games for it, because I think this show is an absolute masterpiece, its ability to tie in everything over the last few years has been unrivalled.
Aug 28, 2016 11:36 PM

Apr 2014
TeruKonato said:
Rukoudiora said:

I guess I need to revise my initial statement... I think it's a very well thought out series. Along with its razor sharp plot twists, it employs an incredible array of stereotypes designed to break their role while adhering decisively. It reminds me of Chaos Theory. Despite it's apparent messiness, everything is actually firmly in a predetermined place.
It's embarrassing to admit it, but I claimed otherwise because I was in a fit over the episode I'd just watched.

I simply don't like it because of how over the top it is. Its stereotypes can offend greatly, regardless of their intent to topple the role. It's a very shameless series, in my opinion.

Okay, I see what you mean, I tend to dislike over the top things as well, but not this, but I understand why you needed to make the topic now, but as others have said in their replies, I guess I don't need to elaborate on why we think it's good.
Aug 29, 2016 5:06 PM
Jul 2018
TeruKonato said:

Well you need to watch the Despair Arc along with Future Arc to understand it, in my opinion. I haven't played the games btw.
Aug 29, 2016 6:12 PM

Aug 2015
Senpaoi said:
TeruKonato said:

Well you need to watch the Despair Arc along with Future Arc to understand it, in my opinion. I haven't played the games btw.
*sighs* I am so done with this.

Why would I only be watching one of them?
(For your sake, I'm really hoping that I simply missed your sarcasm...)
TeruKonatoAug 29, 2016 6:16 PM
Aug 29, 2016 6:26 PM

Mar 2013
Pride- said:
sushienabler said:

You shouldn't watch Despair arc if you want to play DR2.
That arc is a prequel with the characters from DR2 and will spoil you all the twist in the game,So play the game or watch a Lets play first.
Let's plays are lame af, son.
Have you ever heard a death rattle before? Do you think it'll live up to its name? Or will it just be a death...hairball?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Mirai-hen Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 5, 2016

472 by Nanashi »»
Jan 3, 8:01 AM

Poll: » Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Mirai-hen Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 22, 2016

236 by SaltyCookie »»
Jan 2, 3:12 AM

Poll: » Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Mirai-hen Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 1, 2016

284 by Nanashi »»
Dec 17, 2023 7:37 AM

Poll: » Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Mirai-hen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 25, 2016

280 by Nanashi »»
Dec 12, 2023 9:46 AM

Poll: » Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Mirai-hen Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 18, 2016

499 by Nanashi »»
Dec 10, 2023 8:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.