Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 31, 2016 8:24 AM

Sep 2012
Why do anime make this song sound so creepy? I heard it in Kuroshitsuji first, now I'm hearing it in Zankyou no Terror and I swear I heard it somewhere else, but I just can't remember now where and it always represents that the creepiness (evilness) is coming.

I remember this song from kindergarten and it was always fun to sing and to play on it (that bridge thing that you make with hands and people go in between) and now every time I hear it I feel a shiver down my spine and think 'fudge', something bad is going to happen.
Jul 31, 2016 8:35 AM

Oct 2014
Old rhymes are terrifying. That goes for old tales too. The thing is you didn't knew back then what that rhyme could imply, you just sang it because it was fun. It's al in the context. There's also this famous thriller that uses a nursery song too, but I can't remember it. It's a movie classic, with blond girls in a swing.

The same can also be said for any Grimm Brothers tale. Take Little Red Riding Hood for example. The tale is pretty tame but in the original she dies. Jin-Roh took the tale and put it in a context that made it terrifying too.

Here in my country we have a nursery song called "Alice travels in a coach". It's pretty tame and all that until some verses in the song she falls sick and dies. Here's the traduction, don't cringe.

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

But does the heart have the right perspective?
Jul 31, 2016 11:36 PM
May 2015
Agatha Christie made nursery rhymes creepy.
Jul 31, 2016 11:54 PM

Oct 2015
WinnDixieX3 said:
Why do anime make this song sound so creepy?
Huh? Poems and Rhymes are made to sound creepy in alot of media, especially horror movies. Anime only does it rarely....
Hisoka said:
True love is finding someone whose demons play well with yours.
Illumi said:
Aug 1, 2016 12:08 AM

Jan 2014

Dium man, this is masterpiece
Let's rock together
Aug 1, 2016 12:42 AM

Jul 2015
I especially loved Guilty Crown's engrish London Bridge <3

If that song wasn't creepy for you, there's a theory that the Bridge would collapse unless there was a human sacrifice. Now think of the nursery rhyme's game:

As you form an arch and sing the song, the others would go underneath it, while the one who gets caught by the arch loses.

Aug 1, 2016 4:57 AM

Sep 2012
@ronpdee Thank you very much, now I consider even that game creepy haha (I didn't know about that theory)

On the other point everything you guys said make sense I just didn't look at it that way, it was just weird for me 'cause that song is the only nursery rhyme I heard in anime (that isn't japanese) and it's always a bad sign.

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

216 by Coaghim »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

33 by FanofAction »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 2 hours ago

7 by BitChilly »»
14 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 7 hours ago

24 by Coaghim »»
14 minutes ago

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - 9 hours ago

5 by Otakupervert890 »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.