Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 3, 2008 9:07 PM

Jan 2008
I figured if this topic was in the guitar club I would be safe from Guitar Hero fans murdering me. I just wanted to know how fellow guitar players feel about Guitar Hero.

I really hated guitar hero at first, but I came to accept that it's okay if it's played for fun. But if people spend tons of time on it just to get to expert mode, then I think they should just learn how to play a real guitar.

I probably will get murdered for this anyways. . .
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 28, 2008 6:27 AM

Oct 2006
I think it's pretty fun. Nothing like playing a real guitar, sure, but entertaining still. I suck at it though - I can't break the habits I've developed from playing real guitars enough to play the game properly.

As for thinking that people should just learn to play a real guitar, I disagree. There was a pretty good write-up on Penny Arcade, but unfortunately I can't find it. The gist of it was that not everyone has musical talent, and that it takes years of practice and hard work to be an awesome guitar player. On the other hand, even someone with no talent for the real thing (though you do need rhythm) can pick up guitar hero and have fun. Even if they spend ages on the game completing it on expert mode and such, it's still nothing compared to the time and effort it'd take to play the real thing as well.

I think Guitar Hero is pretty great in terms of getting people interested in learning to play for real, but it isn't really comparable otherwise.
Apr 1, 2008 12:13 AM

Jan 2008
Good point. One reason why I hated it at first was because of all these kids used to tell me how awesome they were at expert mode, and that I would suck at it because I could play a real guitar.

The other reason was this

I've seen these everwhere. Such a waste. . .

May 6, 2008 7:52 AM

Jul 2007
I only play frets on fire on my pc, but I just gotta say it's pretty stupid to try to get all the songs 100%.
Jun 13, 2008 12:54 AM
May 2008
Well I have GH 2 & 3 and actually I enjoy playing it from time to time, but you get the most of it when playing with friends . And pretty much the only advantage you may get if you have played a real guitar before, is flexibility of your fingers & maybe more sense of rhytm, but some (most) ppl just don't understand that playing GH has nothing to do with playing a real guitar...

And tbh I find GH to be much harder to play than the real guitar :P
And if I would have an extra a little bit crappier guitar I would also mod my gh controller for it =D
Jul 8, 2008 7:28 PM

May 2007
This topic is a bit old and I don't play the guitar, but I thought I'd just toss out that it doesn't really take THAT long to master Guitar Hero. Really, an avid player will get to that level of play (expert) in about 2 weeks. I just about scratched expert level myself and then stopped, not wanting to waste anymore time on the game. It kind of motivated me to want to learn to play the guitar at one point, but then just thinking about how much harder a real guitar would be (and how pricey), I decided against it.
Aug 24, 2008 4:38 PM

Aug 2007
On PC I play Hard - Expert and on an Xbox with a guitar Medium - Hard (I just can't bet used to it).
Guitar Hero and Rock Band are one of the best games ever. Rock Band is better cuz it's more fun (2 guitars + drums + microphone + booze = effin awesome).
Jun 5, 2010 8:13 AM

May 2010
Guitar hero is not that bad, but if you play like in a real band, its not good because you get used to one, but it is really fun nonetheless...but rock band is still better
"Kirisute Gomen" The Samurai's apology, "I apologize for striking you down."
Jun 5, 2010 8:19 AM

Oct 2007
Guitar Hero certainly is fun when played for fun and doesn't result in the person believing they can play a real guitar because they're good at GH. My dislike for the game increased when my band was looking for a new guitarist - this guy said that he could get 95% on expert level on GH, but had never touched a real guitar. He was either having a bad joke, or didn't realise there was a difference between the game and the real thing.
Dec 27, 2011 3:06 PM

Aug 2011
Guitar Hero is pretty fun. I can't play it any more since my guitar controllers are broken and I don't have any games. My favorites must be GH2, GH:Rock the 80's and Guitar Hero 3. But GH:Metallica was damn hard, but not doable on hard for some who only play for fun. Hated it.
Apr 12, 2012 11:04 AM
Apr 2012
To be honest, in my opinion, Guitar Hero was a very good thing, it allows people to be introduced to music more fluidly, and can allow them to work on their sense of rhythm.
Guitar Hero is probably the main reason why I play guitar today, I've come a very long way from there, and for the record, I have passed The Devil Went Down To Georgia (full song) on Expert (it's A LOT harder than Through the Fire and Flames).
After that achievement, I gradually started shifting to a real instrument, and I don't regret spending all that time on GH3, because it helped me a lot.

So my verdict is that, Guitar Hero can't be anything less than a good thing, because people who play guitar because of Guitar Hero are out there, but people who DO NOT play guitar BECAUSE of Guitar Hero, are much, much less common.
Even if they "spend all that time on a video game instead of an instrument" if they wouldn't have had that video game, they probably wouldn't even be interested in that aspect of music.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Your Dream Guitar

Erojohn - Dec 15, 2008

30 by ForgottenForever »»
Jan 16, 2015 2:19 AM

» Current Goal Piece

kei-clone - Nov 11, 2008

8 by TheConquerer »»
Dec 12, 2014 9:22 AM

» favorite guitar solos

kei-clone - Nov 29, 2007

24 by TheConquerer »»
Dec 12, 2014 9:20 AM

» Godly videos of guitarists who are gods

i3ear - Jun 26, 2009

3 by CanadianChill »»
Aug 12, 2010 5:46 PM

» Anime Music tabs

Emilio_Rodo - Dec 4, 2007

5 by CanadianChill »»
Jul 24, 2010 10:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.