Forum Settings
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 22, 2016 8:59 AM

Aug 2009
I will make it very short.

How good is the official translation of Re:zero?
Jul 22, 2016 4:25 PM
Jul 2018
It seems pretty decent so far, but I read somewhere that the team who did volume 1 won't be coming back for the next, so all we can do is see from volume 2 onward.
Jul 22, 2016 4:30 PM

Dec 2014
yes I couldnt find volume two either... anime it is
Jul 23, 2016 1:53 AM

Aug 2009
Then I will wait for vol2 or even 3.

Is there a forum I can read opinions on the quality, instead of asking here every six months or so?
Jul 23, 2016 2:40 PM
Jul 2018
Not that I'm aware of. I can just sum up the quality of the volume's translation in the volume discussion starting with volume 2 though.
Jul 23, 2016 9:36 PM
Jul 27, 2016 10:46 PM
Jul 2011
it will likely be much better than 99% of fan translations out there
Nov 24, 2016 7:19 PM
Jul 2018
Nezperdian said:

On Rem's character profile, YP fucked up and called her "Ram": http://imgur.com/a/cj71K

And it even says "Rem" right underneath it. SASUGA Yen Press
Dec 1, 2016 11:50 PM

Aug 2013
Quoo said:

Usually fan translations are incomareable better than official ones (unless it is Seven Seas).

Oh wait, I just got baited, right?
rsc-plDec 1, 2016 11:54 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Mar 8, 2018 3:54 AM

Jul 2014
Nezperdian said:
I'm gonna quote a page from facebook about LN Vol 2 Yen Press's Edition:
My impressions of Yen Press' light novel translations for Re:Zero are pretty unfavorable after the horrible localization mess of the first volume, but in any case, here is what I've seen in volume 2:
On Rem's character profile, YP fucked up and called her "Ram": http://imgur.com/a/cj71K
"Emilia-tan" was kept even though other honorifics like Rem's "Subaru-kun" was removed. Surprised YP didn't use a localized nickname like they did with others.
YP changed Subaru's nickname "Balse" to "Barusu." Again, background info on the nickname is that Ram took the first syllable of Subaru's name (スバル) and placed it in the back to make "Balse" (バルス), a reference to Laputa. Obviously if you don't get the reference, people are going to misinterpret it as "Barusu" which is technically right in its own way.
Rozchi, Lia, and Betty were kept. Pack's nickname "Nii-cha" was changed to "Puckie." "Nii-cha" is a shortened pet version of "Nii-chan," which obviously means "older brother" so the meaning was lost in YP's translation.
The term "loli" was kept thankfully because Beato does ask what does that word mean, so that was best to keep it unlocalized.
YP was inconsistent by switching from "Sister" to "Big Sister" for when Rem calls Ram or Ram calls herself "Nee-sama."
YP's EMT stands for "Emilia-tan's a Major Treasure" which is very reasonable. In comparison, EMT in the original Japanese is "Emilia-tan Maji Tenshi," which means "Emilia-tan's a Major Angel."
Too lazy to go through the whole volume, but these are what I saw after a quick skim.

Quoo said:

Top quality bait.
I know I'm answering a really old post, but I'm reading Polish version of Re:Zero and it seems it's much better than the English one (not perfect, as there are still some errors).

"Emilia-tan" was translated as Emilka (diminutive form for the name Emilia)
Barusu as Buras (a word game for brudas (sloven))
Rozchi as Rozuś (diminutive form for Rozwaal)
Lia was left untranslated
Betty as Beatka (diminutive form for Polish name Beata)
Pack's nickname "Nii-cha" as Ciszek (derived from Polish word for brother: brat -> braciszek -> ciszek)
Mar 14, 2018 7:23 PM

Mar 2010
mozgow said:
Nezperdian said:
I'm gonna quote a page from facebook about LN Vol 2 Yen Press's Edition:

Top quality bait.
I know I'm answering a really old post, but I'm reading Polish version of Re:Zero and it seems it's much better than the English one (not perfect, as there are still some errors).

"Emilia-tan" was translated as Emilka (diminutive form for the name Emilia)
Barusu as Buras (a word game for brudas (sloven))
Rozchi as Rozuś (diminutive form for Rozwaal)
Lia was left untranslated
Betty as Beatka (diminutive form for Polish name Beata)
Pack's nickname "Nii-cha" as Ciszek (derived from Polish word for brother: brat -> braciszek -> ciszek)

Honestly while the earlier volumes indeed have questionable translation issues YenPress did get better in the recent ones.

Also keeping the Japanese honorifics outside Emilia tan dumb given 1) that setting is not in Japan, 2) they are only to help Japanese readers understand the relationship between characters as it it's integral part of language. 3) We have English equivalents of those terms anyway, ex (Emilia=Lady Emilia or Princess Emilia, Subaru-dono=Sir Subaru).

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Volume 28 Discussion

mozgow - Apr 19

0 by mozgow »»
Apr 19, 11:37 PM

» Best Re: Zero chapters across all arcs?

iGotIceInMyRice - Mar 12

7 by mohamedo_abuduru »»
Mar 26, 12:25 AM

» Favorite arc in Re:Zero?

IchbinIch-Anime - Oct 13, 2021

15 by MrResidentFox »»
Feb 20, 8:42 PM

Poll: » How do you rate Arc 7 so far (poll)

Danube123 - Jul 6, 2022

16 by MrResidentFox »»
Feb 20, 8:27 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Chapter 20 Discussion

KelpRings - Jan 2

5 by iGotIceInMyRice »»
Jan 3, 10:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.