Forum Settings
Forums

Trailers for Anime, TV, Movies and Games ruin the fun.

New
Apr 25, 2016 10:57 AM

Oct 2015
In the last year I have made it a thing to not watch the three minute trailers or the three two minute trailers for the latest films and film sequels I am going to watch with my friends. I decided this after the ending scene of the second Amazing Spiderman movie being in the trailer for the movie and having a great time watching Kingsman when going to see the film blind.

This does not only happen with film for me but it has happened with other stuff such as games and anime where a bunch of trailers and hype ruin my expectations and enjoyment and I usually end up enjoying the most is the series with the less promotion or the series with lots of promotions but I have not taken a look at.

Does anyone else think peoples expectations and enjoyment of something are ruined by the constant teasers and trailers and promotions being pumped out left right and center?
Apr 25, 2016 11:16 AM
Jul 2018
i don't watch anime trailers but i do watch movie trailers
i don't want to watch a movie that i possibly won't like so i watch the trailer and decide whether if i should watch it or not, decide whether if it's worth it or nah
besides, they don't ruin but rather they create hype?
Apr 25, 2016 11:20 AM

Dec 2015
I usually watch trailers for less than 20 seconds.
Apr 25, 2016 11:22 AM

Jan 2016
not at all, it gives me a hint if i should waste my time watching it or not.
Apr 25, 2016 11:31 AM

May 2015
I like to watch trailers to see if I'll like the movie/game, because I don't have hours of my life to waste on something I don't care about.
Apr 25, 2016 11:35 AM

Aug 2013
Most trailers spoil too much of the movie I like trailers that get us hyped show us tone (that doesn't completely lie about it AoU)

I liked the new rogue one trailer except for when she talks. Her dialog seems like it was almost written by Lucas himself "I rebel" ugh.
Apr 25, 2016 11:38 AM

Apr 2015
ryukan said:
i don't want to watch a movie that i possibly won't like so i watch the trailer and decide whether if i should watch it or not, decide whether if it's worth it or nah
Pretty much this, plus, nowadays the trailers come with some deleted scenes, scenes that won't be in the movie
I'm feelin' normal, I'm feelin' myself ♪♪
Apr 25, 2016 11:44 AM

Oct 2014
It depends on a number of factors. If it's a comedy movie and all the best jokes are in the trailer then you're only watching the movie for context, which isn't much fun. For slice of life anime it's nice to see the character designs in action and how well the seiyuu played their parts. If there are spoilers in the trailer then that usually is a problem.
Apr 25, 2016 11:48 AM

Jul 2015
Cyborg_Dragon said:
In the last year I have made it a thing to not watch the three minute trailers or the three two minute trailers for the latest films and film sequels I am going to watch with my friends. I decided this after the ending scene of the second Amazing Spiderman movie being in the trailer for the movie and having a great time watching Kingsman when going to see the film blind.

This does not only happen with film for me but it has happened with other stuff such as games and anime where a bunch of trailers and hype ruin my expectations and enjoyment and I usually end up enjoying the most is the series with the less promotion or the series with lots of promotions but I have not taken a look at.

Does anyone else think peoples expectations and enjoyment of something are ruined by the constant teasers and trailers and promotions being pumped out left right and center?

Exactly. I do the same exact thing. I quit watching trailers for anything I'm interested in or may be interested in. I made the decision after watching The Edge of Tomorrow blind, and I wondered how shitty the experience would've been knowing the day would repeat when he died.
Best decision I ever made.
Apr 25, 2016 12:11 PM

Oct 2015
If it's a game I want to know if it will be something I like before spending $60 on it so I always look up trailers for those (Though even if Nintendo never made a proper trailer for the new Zelda game I would still get it, I guarantee they will release a proper trailer at E3 though). I usually look up trailers for movies to. I don't watch that much TV anymore. I have looked up some trailers for animes, I like going into animes blind a lot of the time to though.
Apr 25, 2016 12:16 PM

Nov 2015
trailers hype me up honestly. i'm all about watching them

goodnight

Apr 25, 2016 12:29 PM

Nov 2012
If I'm sure to watch the movie, I avoid trailers and spoilers. Except when I watch them anyway to get hyped and always regret it

Otherwise I like to get a feel of what it's like before deciding to spend 90< minutes on it.
Apr 25, 2016 12:33 PM

Sep 2013
Depends on how much time I plan to invest in said media and how into it I am. I'll usually watch the initial trailer...and then shut myself off from discovering any more additional information until the release.
Apr 25, 2016 12:35 PM

Oct 2015
Sakuraoka said:
not at all, it gives me a hint if i should waste my time watching it or not.

well I cant argue with that.

MattKitsune96 said:
If it's a game I want to know if it will be something I like before spending $60 on it so I always look up trailers for those (Though even if Nintendo never made a proper trailer for the new Zelda game I would still get it, I guarantee they will release a proper trailer at E3 though). I usually look up trailers for movies to. I don't watch that much TV anymore. I have looked up some trailers for animes, I like going into animes blind a lot of the time to though.

A lot of the triple AAA games I have played in the last two years weren't as great as I expected them to be except dying light. As of recently I still watch the trailer for the games but I always look at the reviews for them before buying.
Apr 25, 2016 12:40 PM

Oct 2015
Here-Hear said:
Cyborg_Dragon said:

Exactly. I do the same exact thing. I quit watching trailers for anything I'm interested in or may be interested in. I made the decision after watching The Edge of Tomorrow blind, and I wondered how shitty the experience would've been knowing the day would repeat when he died.
Best decision I ever made.

I read the manga (birthday present so didn't plan on getting it or knowing anything about it) and watched the film at a college movie night without realizing they where based off each other and the dying thing. I was happy that the surprise wasn't entirely spoiled since I didn't know they where based off each other.
Apr 25, 2016 12:45 PM

Oct 2015
ryukan said:

I dont mind the bit of hype from a trailer thats a minute long with a small amount of content. I just think that trailers shouldnt show all of their surprises before the movie comes out.
Apr 25, 2016 12:51 PM
Jul 2018
Cyborg_Dragon said:
ryukan said:

I dont mind the bit of hype from a trailer thats a minute long with a small amount of content. I just think that trailers shouldnt show all of their surprises before the movie comes out.

not all trailers do that, i don't even know any trailers which do that anyways
but i guess that's because i don't watch a lot of movies/trailers
Apr 25, 2016 12:55 PM

Oct 2013
I need trailers. I dont watch it for sequels or anything related to a certain series or franchise but if its suttin new then i'll check out a bit of it coz trailers these days reveal WAAAAAY too much info, fkn whole movie or episode cramped i 2 or 3 minutes n shit, twists shown off n all that.

Games, I watch gameplay trailers but not too much. I try to avoid story trailers as much as possible. Announcement trailers are a-okay and few later on just to see the progress or if there are any downgrades.

Wtf happened to 1 minute trailers? There all gone now.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Apr 25, 2016 1:14 PM

Jan 2016
i'd rather watch a trailer than pay 5 dorrah for a movie i don't like
Apr 25, 2016 1:22 PM

Aug 2015
Trailers are a good thing, having a preview of the show you're going to watch is probably another way to keep the hype up. However i hate when they release more than 2 trailers,showing like 40% of the show is basically stupid and it ruins a lot of the experience of the watching (like Deadpool, i loved that film but damn it was like i did know the whole film)
Apr 25, 2016 2:50 PM

Oct 2015
AndyShoes said:
Trailers are a good thing, having a preview of the show you're going to watch is probably another way to keep the hype up. However i hate when they release more than 2 trailers,showing like 40% of the show is basically stupid and it ruins a lot of the experience of the watching (like Deadpool, i loved that film but damn it was like i did know the whole film)

For Deadpool i watched the test footage and the trailer pretty much most of what I saw before the film was the car chase scene. Still one of the best superhero movies i have seen.
Apr 25, 2016 3:21 PM

Aug 2013
Trailers are important for cartoons and anime because they give you a look at how the character designs will be , the general artstyle, the animation and the voice acting. Getting a preview of the artstyle through a trailer is especially important if the cartoon or anime is an adaption.

More topics from this board

» WHO THE FUCK IS FUNDING ALL THOSE HERO WARS ADS YOU SEE ON LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE WEBSITE

vasipi4946 - 6 hours ago

8 by deg »»
16 minutes ago

» Gender difference in US intermarriage

Auron_ - Yesterday

17 by deg »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you believe in moral facts?

Freshell - 9 hours ago

14 by Auron_ »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you believe in prophecies?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

9 by Serafos »»
41 minutes ago

» Do you love anyone in your life?

LenRea - Mar 31

31 by parfaitte »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.