Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 31, 2016 5:31 AM
Jul 2015
I am someone who only really began watching anime in the last year. And while I am trying to build up my anime list as much as possible, there is one thing I am struggling to delve into: the manga scene. A lot of the time fans claim that the manga is better than the anime, so I would like to get looking to see what I am missing out on.
However, I find manga quite tricky, mostly because I feel they are very fast paced and confusing in contrast with their anime counterparts. So I'm here for help:

> What manga series - plot and enjoyment wise - are good for a beginner like yours truly?
> Are there any manga series - in terms of pace and easiness to read - which are suitable for beginners?
> What app / site is best for reading?

Edit: Preferably I would like a darker manga, so please take that into consideration if you could.
I'm sorry if anything like this has been asked before, I'm rather new to the forums here and would just like some assistance - thanks :)
romeo-romeoMar 31, 2016 5:59 AM
Mar 31, 2016 5:41 AM

Jul 2013
> What manga series - plot and enjoyment wise - are good for a beginner like yours truly?

I think something such as FMA would be a good start if you haven't already watched the anime. it has a good combination of light hearted comedy and serious plot. But to be more specific you've gotta say the specific genres you like because there a generally must read staples and gems in each.
> Are there any manga series - in terms of pace and easiness to read - which are suitable for beginners?

I'd suggest you start with manga with not too many chapters simply for convenience, preference is up to you though, i know i personally much prefer manga with hundreds of chapters.
> What app / site is best for reading?

I use manga rock on my phone, it's very fast and it's useful in downloading manga which can come in handy when on the go. On my pc I use kissmanga or manga fox, both are pretty good but kissmanga makes it easier to find manga to read plus it can preload pages onto one page which is pretty useful.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Mar 31, 2016 5:48 AM
Jul 2015
Fuchsia said:
But to be more specific you've gotta say the specific genres you like because there a generally must read staples and gems in each.

Sorry about that, I'd rather start with something darker, so probably a Psychological or Thriller.
Then again I've heard FMA is rather dark, so I could surely give it a try. Thanks for your help :D
Mar 31, 2016 5:50 AM

Jun 2015
Psyren then. It is one of the best in that genre.
Mar 31, 2016 5:51 AM

Sep 2015
For me the perfect manga for beginners is dragon ball in termes of art, easiness and enjoyabilitie plus it's a great introduction to the medium
Wath also helps that the first chapters are hardcorly comedy Based so it never will give any moment of borinness
Mar 31, 2016 5:57 AM

Jul 2013
_deaa said:
Fuchsia said:
But to be more specific you've gotta say the specific genres you like because there a generally must read staples and gems in each.

Sorry about that, I'd rather start with something darker, so probably a Psychological or Thriller.
Then again I've heard FMA is rather dark, so I could surely give it a try. Thanks for your help :D
If you wanted dark you should have said so, here a few of my recs.
- Gantz
- All you need is kill
- Kanojo wo Mamoru 51 no Houhou top rec
- Ibara no Ou the movie is also hella good

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Mar 31, 2016 6:02 AM

Sep 2015
Fuchsia said:
_deaa said:

If you wanted dark you should have said so, here a few of my recs.
- Gantz
- All you need is kill
- Kanojo wo Mamoru 51 no Houhou top rec
- Ibara no Ou the movie is also hella good

Yep all you need is kill is a pretty good suggestion
Mar 31, 2016 9:15 AM

Aug 2014
Kagerou Daze <-- also has anime <-- dark past <-- and vocaloid covers/that has even better Voice covers

Fukashigi Philia <-- dark

Instant Bullet <-- pretty dark

All of these contain Some elements of. time traval/loop/alternate reality. which i hope will interest u..

i started out with these manga... which got me into manga.
TheDiabolicEsperMar 31, 2016 9:55 AM

Mar 31, 2016 9:37 AM

Jul 2015
If you never read one single manga , a good idea ( that i did ) was to get a faithfull manga adaption of an anime i liked and read it ( in my case it was Death Note ) . So i could guess how manga is working .
As for series everything without parody as genre ( for obvious reasons ) . I suggest berserk a very dark manga .
Mar 31, 2016 12:27 PM
Jul 2015
TheDiabolicEsper said:
All of these contain Some elements of. time traval/loop/alternate reality. which i hope will interest u..

Steins;Gate and Madoka Magica - two of my favourite anime series - both contain those elements also, so that's good news. The art in all three look really good too. I'll be sure to give them all a look!
romeo-romeoApr 1, 2016 2:44 AM
Mar 31, 2016 2:05 PM

Aug 2014
_deaa said:
TheDiabolicEsper said:

Steins;Gate and Madoka Magica - two of my favourite anime series - both contain those elements also, so that's good news. The art in all three look really good two. I'll be sure to give them all a look!

glad to hear.

p.s u should check out Both the anime of kagerou daze and the manga.. cuz the anime was reallly rushed... the manga is important to understand the story fully . finish the manga before final ep of anime

Mar 31, 2016 4:08 PM
Sep 2015
Maybe Death Note? I would recommend Tokyo Ghoul but I'm not so sure if it's something for beginners though the Manga is much better than the Anime.
Mar 31, 2016 5:14 PM

Feb 2015
You should try reading Claymore if you're looking for something dark. It has an extraordinary well presented and deep story. If you change your mind and want something a bit more light then i recommend History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, it has a decent story and some incredibly entertaining characters with comic relief every now and then.

More topics from this board

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Apr 22

15 by JoeChip »»
6 minutes ago

» Help Finding a Romance Manga About Two Ordinary People?

slebeepy - 51 minutes ago

0 by slebeepy »»
51 minutes ago

» Romances As Amazing As Bloom Into You?

Enderobot - 10 hours ago

2 by JoeChip »»
1 hour ago

» anime suggestions

StardustCursader - May 1

8 by JoeChip »»
1 hour ago

» Anime where main character have girlfriend but later love someone else?

Mione48 - Mar 23, 2022

8 by Zedlin »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.